Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No Holds Barred - Best Creature in Legacy?

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Re: No Holds Barred - Best Creature in Legacy?

Sea drake
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Phyrexian Revoker naming Griselbrand.

Obviously the best creature in legacy is Stangg, and more importantly, Stangg Twin. Stangg-Deck-Wins wrecked Germany last year. Not sure where the coverage of it went though.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My favorite is grim lava mancer under a standstill with no GY. Talk about a clock
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Obviously the best creature in legacy is Stangg, and more importantly, Stangg Twin. Stangg-Deck-Wins wrecked Germany last year. Not sure where the coverage of it went though.
    If I ever have twins you can be fucking sure one will be named Stangg and the other Stangg Twin.

Deathrite Shaman
    Stoneforge Mystic carries whatever equipment you want. Equipment is too good.

Tarmogoyf is bad, really. The graveyard is smaller now because of the shaman. Tarmy is kind of like playing Kird Ape now.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Yes, very bad. Allow me to kill you with my 5/6 and then we can talk about it over coffee.

-Matt

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Hogwash. Battle Squadron is a Goblin and has Flying, and therefore infinitely superior because of all the ridiculous synergy with Lackey, Warren Instigator, and any other relevant Lordses.
    Say that to this dude and see what happens! He's like the fucking Ultimate Warrior with those pythons, and that whole 'using really big swords before Final Fantasy was cool' thing going on. Battle Squadron, prepare for butt-hurt.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dec 2011
    USA

At one time it would have been Psychatog or Goblin Lackey, or even further back to turn 1 Dark Ritual Phyrexian Negator or Hypnotic Specter, but creatures have only become more powerful in time, now...

In my observation however, I see these 3 creatures getting the most votes between themselves and everything else:
    Tarmogoyf will always gets props, I believe I read an article or poll somewhere that finally put Psychatog at the number 2 slot, Tarmogoyf finally dethroning it based on "impact to the format & power overall"
    Griselbrand because card draw is huge, in that regard it makes this creature the best by far.
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn because it's it makes play, it's not "traditionally" easy to answer, & that means it will likely be swinging the following turn, and that means loosing 6 permanents, which means if you even survive 15 damage, you're going to be cut back severely & hit again.

...and Storm Crow for the humor of course.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Oct 2012
    Italy

If history has any importance, the best legacy creature is Goblin Lackey. It is the only creature always played in a deck that has always showed important results from the beginning of the format until now.
    When tarmogoyf, dark confidant , stoneforge mystic and so on will be played for about other ten years ( and if goblin lackey will not be played anymore) at a competitive level, we could start arguing that they are the best creatures.

Aniway, Goblin Psychopath also stands a chance in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    At one time it would have been Psychatog or Goblin Lackey, or even further back to turn 1 Dark Ritual Phyrexian Negator or Hypnotic Specter, but creatures have only become more powerful in time, now...
    You know, this is something that's always sort of confused me. I didn't really play competitively when Negator was a real card, but were things like Lightning Bolt not around to ruin his day? Same with psychatog, was he not just plowed after they burnt through everything? Or were these cards not in the same format as when those cards were big deals?

You know, this is something that's always sort of confused me. I didn't really play competitively when Negator was a real card, but were things like Lightning Bolt not around to ruin his day? Same with psychatog, was he not just plowed after they burnt through everything? Or were these cards not in the same format as when those cards were big deals?
    There were less bolts and STPs, I think. T1 Negator vs hightide was gg and bad times for uw landstill. Tog was well guarded by the rest of the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Full-House View Post
    MTG is a game 13+ (btw in cinematograph rating PG-13 allows nudity), while forum is open to anyone, and children under this age can see your picture and wonder how tezzeret is assosiated with anus and what is sexual t-rex means. Who knows where this path would take them? Are you responsible for their actions under the impression of your profile? I think no. You should be assamed.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Negator and Tog were good due to the absence of those cards. In fact, on rare occasion when someone did get their Negator Bolted or, like, Goblin Grendaded or whatever, it was this big deal because burn was not considered to be a reasonable slot in a deck.

Also there were not so many actual removal spells because it (a) it used to be all about the counter-wars. You play Tog, I FOW, you FOW, I Drain, and so on (b) Morphling was considered one of the best creatures in Vintage for a long, long time, and anyone smart enough to play a Morphling didn't tap out to do it, so spot removal had to fight through counters AND Morphling's insta-shroud. Other stuff like Welder and Rector was usually just online before StP mattered anyway, so StP spent a lot of time on the board.

Sligh and Goblins was kind of a budget deck to get into Vintage but it wasn't really regarded as a serious thing - Goblins did pick up a lot of steam after Onslaught though. I don't think a deck with burn really started looking favorable in a Vintage setting until, like, people started splashing Red in Fish to play Lavamancer, and then it was sort of a given that if you did see that first turn Negator, you had the Bolt to set your opponent back to turn zero. When I rocked UR Fish I always played more burn than most people and in the handful of Vintage tourneys I did play, never regretted it once.

Of course, I'm talking mostly Type 1 here, I don't think I actually played 1.5 until it became Legacy. And I don't think that a guys-and-burn deck has ever not been viable in Legacy, so Negator just didn't really take off.

This is all just vaguely remembering what Magic looked like about 10 years ago so maybe I am skirting a detail or two. But it took a really long time for creatures to become good enough that StPs, Bolts, and other things were worth looking at.

Best creature really depends on what your strategy is.

If you are trying to cheat a large expensive creature into play then yes Griselbrand is the best creature because it draws you cards.

If you are playing cheap efficient creatures then Dark Confidant is the best creature because it draws you cards.

Creatures that draw you cards are the best creatures because they give you more options with more cards.

My favorite decks are Reanimator/Sneak and Showl/Oath (big creature decks) and Dark Confidant Control (Esper Bomberman/Grixis in Vintage, Esper Stoneblade in Legacy)

I have seen very few serious posts in this thread... Oh well, I guess it's OK to have fun sometimes :).

1) Deathrite Shaman
    2) Griselbrand
    3) Stoneforge Mystic
    4) Tarmogoyf
    5) Snapcaster Mage

6) Dark Confidant

I feel very strongly that this is the ranking of creatures in the current metagame. Delver, KotR, and Scavenging Ooze may have easily been on this list a few months ago.

Dec 2003
    Portland OR

2003-2004 Type 1.5:

Negator was played as a sideboard card when you found opponents not playing burn. StP on Negator was fine, Fireblast was not.

Psychatog was huge, though he almost never hit the board turn 3. Almost all acceleration in the format was banned due to Type 1. He was played as a 2-3 of in the deck, sometimes only hitting the board with Shallow Grave or Corpse Dance from a Cunning Wish. FoF was banned but Drain was legal. Using Drain mana for Intuition -> 3x Accumulated Knowledge was a big thing. Psychatog hit play on turn 25 with a full grip of counters and a cunning wish into Berserk to wipe the floor in one turn. You had no worthwhile burn and all StP's got discarded or countered by the time 'tog went on offense.

Then U/R landstill became a thing ported over from Vintage. Mana Drain -> Nev's Disk was a thing. Activate Disk -> Chain of Vapor was a thing. White eventually got splashed for StP, Eternal dragon and Decree of Justice.

Goblin Lackey -> Goblin Recruiter playing Food Chain on turn 2 was a thing

Mishra's workshop -> Trinisphere was fun and sucked at the same time.

Bazaar of bagdad -> Worldgorger Dragon tore up shit with a mana source in play to make infinite slivers with Sliver Queen or kill with ambassador Laquatus.

Oh, and a new metagame deck tore up most of the tier 1, R/G Beatz manufactured by none other than our own 'Zilla here on mtgthesource.
    It's not a sin to be weak, it's a sin to stay weak.

Phyrexian Dreadnought, Dark Confidant, Progenitus and even Quirion Dryad would have been very high in this list a few years back, but times change...

Magus of the Moon, Griselbrand and Emrakul are all fine choices, in my opinion. They all have high game-changing potential, especially if landed on the table fast enough.

In my opinion, it's about time someone piloted a Moon effect deck (Imperial painter?) to a high finish. Goblin Welder and Phyrexian Revoker together in the same deck list can be awesome against some decks.

The fun submission:
    Goblin Ski Patrol - notice the rulings.

Needs more goyfs.

For raw beats and utility, Stoneforge mystic since the graveyard doesn't negatively affect her.

For pure power, Griselbrand.

For utility and weakening the opponents strategies, Deathrite Shaman.

Jan 2013
    Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Phyrexian Dreadnought, Dark Confidant, Progenitus and even Quirion Dryad would have been very high in this list a few years back, but times change...

Magus of the Moon, Griselbrand and Emrakul are all fine choices, in my opinion. They all have high game-changing potential, especially if landed on the table fast enough.

In my opinion, it's about time someone piloted a Moon effect deck (Imperial painter?) to a high finish. Goblin Welder and Phyrexian Revoker together in the same deck list can be awesome against some decks.

The fun submission:
    Goblin Ski Patrol - notice the rulings.
    i think about u about the welder revoker

Thread Information