Thread: [Article]+TCRF+ Manaless Unplugged, Vol. I

[Article]+TCRF+ Manaless Unplugged, Vol. I

New article is up!

Dredgin' hard, baby.

Re: [Article]+TCRF+ Manaless Unplugged, Vol. I

In your storm example the opponent sees our hand with Gitaxian Probe. Why would they combo out unprotected when they know that we have a Mindbreak Trap?

Quote Originally Posted by andiibooo View Post
    In your storm example the opponent sees our hand with Gitaxian Probe. Why would they combo out unprotected when they know that we have a Mindbreak Trap?
    To strip it from our hand.

You'll note that that hand has serious gas in it in the form of Therapy, dredger and Street Wraith. An opponent really doesn't want to durdle for a few turns when they can milk it from our hands and force us to use it on an overreaction.

Should an opponent wait facing a dire situation on our turn two? Or risk having their hand shredded? I mean, you're right under most circumstances it wouldn't make sense to do that, but either way the Manaless hand is stacked with hate and gas- so who knows.

You'll also note in the article the examples were given to illustrate the parameters of poor and tight play. In a situation like this (that actually happened, btw), I guess all you can do is hope for the best if you don't have discard or a Silence.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by the article View Post
    they know we don’t run any counter-magic and just decided to win the game right then and there.
    The article sort of contradicts your explanation. Maybe you just didn't think it through while writing? Never hurts to admit one's mistakes.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    The article sort of contradicts your explanation. Maybe you just didn't think it through while writing? Never hurts to admit one's mistakes.
    I can see that, sure. These were actual in-game scenarios, but my memory may have been off a bit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andiibooo View Post
    They might have figured Ad Nauseum might resolve. If hollywood had let it resolve most likely the storm player would have won. Also hollywoods hand had some action that could lead to a quick death. Often playing these games ,mind tricks, expression, bluf etc can make a player make mistakes.

edit: I do believe there is a mixup though when you draw street wraith, your hand didn't have phantasmagorian in it, so I assume you didn't have the SW in your starting 7.

It seems a lot like the storm player didn't play well. If they pass, they can Dark Ritual + Ad Nauseam next turn without running into the trap they know about. They know your hand, and should know that you have a very remote chance of hitting 4 cards that matter enough to be able to get a 2nd therapy off (if you can even get the first off, since you have to discard Therapy, Thug, Ichorid and then only see 4 cards with Ichorid on the stack. Even if you hit a black creature, you're still in an awkward position as there's a reasonable chance that your black creature is a dredger that you need to not flounder around (I think you still Therapy here, that's just me though, maybe you must keep a stinkweed/thug if you grab one). Dark Ritual, if you can Therapy, would be a reasonable blind call since an LED would be slammed down on their turn and Dark Ritual is going to be their next best acceleration spell (+2 for the first as opposed to +1 for Rite of Flame).
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Totally agree. Think the storm player played too hastey too, probably intimidated by the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    It seems a lot like the storm player didn't play well. If they pass, they can Dark Ritual + Ad Nauseam next turn without running into the trap they know about. They know your hand, and should know that you have a very remote chance of hitting 4 cards that matter enough to be able to get a 2nd therapy off (if you can even get the first off, since you have to discard Therapy, Thug, Ichorid and then only see 4 cards with Ichorid on the stack. Even if you hit a black creature, you're still in an awkward position as there's a reasonable chance that your black creature is a dredger that you need to not flounder around (I think you still Therapy here, that's just me though, maybe you must keep a stinkweed/thug if you grab one). Dark Ritual, if you can Therapy, would be a reasonable blind call since an LED would be slammed down on their turn and Dark Ritual is going to be their next best acceleration spell (+2 for the first as opposed to +1 for Rite of Flame).
    This is kind of the mindset I had going into this game.

I mean, I was sitting there with a Trap and Chancellor - in addition to riding it out with a Street Wraith and a dredger. He was in a tough spot as it was.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Just chiming in to say awesome article and, as always, really digging the new SB -- will give the list a try next time I get a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

good article...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    This is kind of the mindset I had going into this game.

I mean, I was sitting there with a Trap and Chancellor - in addition to riding it out with a Street Wraith and a dredger. He was in a tough spot as it was.
    Heh, I'm pretty sure I was the storm player, the only reason I lost that game was because I tutored for a second Ad Nauseam the next turn that I had recently cut. I went for it there because I had infernal tutor and mana in hand, there was no reason to let him do anything (Ad Naus in that situation is basically a time walk + duress for the trap, and I needed to get hellbent to cast tutor anyway).

It was probably dark ritual, not Rite of Flame, because I remember I was going to take an Ad Naus kill with UB floating due to having no red mana.

(I'm assuming it was me, I lost in a very similar situation in a DE).

I like the article.
    Cheers

Thanks, folks.

But keep in mind that sideboard is up to changing at any time; right now it's in flux, so we'll see where it goes. It's more transitional than anything else.

Thread Information