Dec 2003
    Portland OR

Transmute Artifact, the original Tinker

Card Name:
    Transmute Artifact
    Mana Cost: UU

Sorcery
    Oracle Text:
    Sacrifice an artifact. If you do, search your library for an artifact card. If that card's converted mana cost is less than or equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost, put it onto the battlefield. If it's greater, you may pay , where X is the difference. If you do, put it onto the battlefield. If you don't, put it into its owner's graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

So, Say I have a few artifacts in play, such as artifact lands and a Goblin Welder. Then I cast Transmute Artifact, it resolves, then I sac my Chromatic Star to get Sundering Titan. Do I get my leaves play/enters play triggers before I draw my card off of the Chromatic Star? Or does it just go directly from library to graveyard like an Intuition effect to be welded in later? The oracle wording seems to say both.
    It's not a sin to be weak, it's a sin to stay weak.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Re: Transmute Artifact, the original Tinker

" If it's greater, you may pay {X}, where X is the difference. If you do, put it onto the battlefield. If you don't, put it into its owner's graveyard."

If you pay the difference, Sundering Titan will enter the Battlefield, and both Chromatic Star and Sundering Titan's triggers will go on the stack. You control both triggers, so you choose the order they go on the stack.

If you don't pay the difference, Sundering Titan will go directly into your graveyard, without entering the battlefield. So Sundering Titan won't trigger, and you put Chromatic Star's trigger on the stack.

Re: Transmute Artifact, the original Tinker

Sundering Titan is in the library until the effect tells you either to put it on the battlefield or into the graveyard; the two cases it goes to the battlefield are if the sacrificed artifact had lesser/equal CMC or if you pay the mana difference. If neither of those is true, it goes from the library to the graveyard.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information