Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: MTGO Legacy questions

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Re: MTGO Legacy questions

Is it even worth it for drafting/sealed? Seems like there's been a ton of griping about a recent update?

Also, holy shit Shandalar is still alive:

www.slightlymagic.net
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    That will hell alleviate some of the "ticket to enter" but other cards will soon replace the mighty FoW as barrier to entry.

Namely Wasteland and Fetchlands; Show & Tell; Misdirection, etc. The usual Blue cards.
    I can imagine they reprint stuff like Wasteland, Port, S&T etc. in Vintage Masters.

Dec 2011
    Spain

To MTGO players, how much do you think FoW will drop?
    I need to buy the playset but I don't know if I should buy them now at (25-30) or will they drop more?
    Could the opposite happen? In thinking of Tarmogoyf in MM...
    Thank you

FoW is a rare in Vintage Masters, not a Mythic. It will drop below 20tix. Tarmogoyf stayed high because it was a Mythic. The only Mythics in VMA that are likely to maintain their current prices are; Mishra's Workshop, Bazaar of Baghdad, Oath of Druids, and Mana Drain. Those four cards will pull a Tarmogoyf, staying pretty close t current price, then rising after the set goes off sale. The other Mythics are all either very common (Skullclamp) or restricted one-ofs (Mana Crypt). Some are both (Demonic Tutor, Balance, etc.) Online Dual Lands are going to drop like big giant rocks. Droppity drop drop drop. Fetches will increase dramatically if they're not in Khans of Tarkir or M15.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Lion's Eye Diamond are also mythics. So if you ever plan on playing them online, you should probably pick them up between now and Vintage Master's release.

That will hell alleviate some of the "ticket to enter" but other cards will soon replace the mighty FoW as barrier to entry.

Namely Wasteland and Fetchlands; Show & Tell; Misdirection, etc. The usual Blue cards.
    I was extremely surprised on how expensive Misdirection is online vs it's paper counterpart. I cannot think of many decks that mainboard it, I SB it on reanimator.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    I was extremely surprised on how expensive Misdirection is online vs it's paper counterpart. I cannot think of many decks that mainboard it, I SB it on reanimator.
    That's because nobody drafted MM back then because it sucks.

Port was also significantly more expensive than its paper counterpart for a long time.

As for FoW, it's still going to drop. The best time to pick it up is probably around when Vintage Masters has been around for a while. It's certainly staying longer than two weeks, unlike Modern Masters. Promo versions of FoW are already down to 36 tix, and it's going down further.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I don't recommend players play the MTGO Vintage Master's Constructed events. This graph should indicate exactly why:

More info:
    Constructed 2-man, Daily Events, & Premier Events paying out Vintage Masters
    www.mtgonline.com
    http://swisstriangle.net/
    Last edited by Koby; 06-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2007

That's a catastrophe.

2-mans that now cost 4 tickets? Going 3-1 in Daily Event only giving out 2 boosters which is a significant loss of value? WTF!?

Having 4 instead of 3 Legacy DEs isn't going to help when the payout sucks.

I don't recommend players play the MTGO Vintage Master's Constructed events. This graph should indicate exactly why:

More info:
    Constructed 2-man, Daily Events, & Premier Events paying out Vintage Masters
    www.mtgonline.com
    That graph can't be right. It's obvious looking at the prize payouts of the constructed dailies that non-VM payouts are better value (44/24 and 42/14 for 4-0/3-1 Non-VM and VM payouts, respectively).

However, unless I'm mistaken, the prize payout for VM should also be increasing as the # of players increases. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Y axis is total number of tickets in the prize pool, right? So for every 16 additional players, there will be 140 and 98 additional tickets added to the prize pool (because there will be an additional 4-0 and 4 more 3-1 records).

EDIT: wait, I guess it is increasing, but the rate of increase still seems incredibly low.
    EDIT2: I'm reading the graph wrong. It's obviously some sort of ticket per player thing because value decreases until a multiple of 4 adds more tickets to the pool.

Fuck it, I'm just curious what calculations you did to plot that.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Independent variable: # of players
    Dependent variable: Difference of Player's take (Boosters won * MSRP) and WotC's rake (# of players * Entry fee)

Boosters won was calculated from a Swiss Triangle after 4 rounds of play for events between 16-128 players, with no draws (as with MTGO). Pair-downs assumed to have gone towards the player with higher points.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Independent variable: # of players
    Dependent variable: Difference of Player's take (Boosters won * MSRP) and WotC's rake (# of players * Entry fee)
    Derp. I feel retarded now.

Also, holy fuck. There's a net gain of two tickets per 16 players compared to 44 per 16 for non-VM. That's bonkers. I have no idea how WotC gets away with this shit.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    I have no idea how WotC gets away with this shit.
    Most of the money made on MTGO is grinders who aren't losing much, and even if they are, it's worth it for the practice. What other medium can you easily draft several times a day every day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Most of the money made on MTGO is grinders who aren't losing much, and even if they are, it's worth it for the practice. What other medium can you easily draft several times a day every day?
    and lose them all, every day.

May 2011
    Nikaho, 秋田県

Do we know how ripoffy the prerelease events are, or are we still waiting? Is the best way to get the set really going to be paying tix for (pre)release queues? Or should we be jamming belcher in the 2-mans and quitting once we're ahead?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    Derp. I feel retarded now.

Also, holy fuck. There's a net gain of two tickets per 16 players compared to 44 per 16 for non-VM. That's bonkers. I have no idea how WotC gets away with this shit.
    It would have been smarter to keep the payout for a 3-1 at 3 packs. It would be still a net loss, but it wouldn't be as severe as this.

My desire to grind QPs for a second Cradle this month is completely gone. I'll finish the last few points for the first one and call it a day.

Off topic, but, can anyone point me to a link for Cockatrice?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by BoiledDenim View Post
    Off topic, but, can anyone point me to a link for Cockatrice?
    http://www.woogerworks.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Eventually the prizes will switch back to the current set for Legacy and Vintage Constructed events, iirc.

Assuming that the noodle heads at WoTC do not change the scheduled prizes, what is the logistics needed to get a player organized Legacy event?
    It is that option I suggested or play 8-mans.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    Eventually the prizes will switch back to the current set for Legacy and Vintage Constructed events, iirc.

Assuming that the noodle heads at WoTC do not change the scheduled prizes, what is the logistics needed to get a player organized Legacy event?
    It is that option I suggested or play 8-mans.
    If you want to run player run events, you just organize Casual matches reporting back to you/PTO. I think that's what the Pauper community ran just to have events with not much prizing.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information