Page 263 of 263 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263
Results 5,241 to 5,245 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

In this league the “must attack” on DRC was relevant, making the pharaoh even better.

Loss of life has occasionally been relevant. Shadowspear is already in the deck as tutorable lifegain and is less of a dead draw. Witherbloom also has incidental lifegain. I think I would prefer to work on the incidental life gain & life loss before adding a dedicated lifegain card. Thoughtseize to IoK or decay to witherbloom/collective Brutality.

Worm harvest was very good vs current jeskai. They have lots of low loyalty PWs, run surgical over rip, and have cut most FoNs and boardwipes. It is unplayable if grixis or bant come back though.

8 cast is the reason for all the chalices. The premise is that thoughtseize into chalice is your best opener for them and is also great vs storm. And the bontus clears up the board with minimal collateral damage. I’m worried that they would rebuild from the loss of their board faster than you. Do you think that strategy is too greedy? I would prefer to start with a third boardwipe.

I don’t play Magic for a full time occupation or side hustle and have no real Magic career, but Pox player Adachi Ryosuke topped a 49 player event with this Pox list. https://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/deck/400985/show/

I don’t actually advocate a complete deck building match as I can tell you right now he is an above average Magic player who can top medium and even large events in multiple formats and on a sub optimal deck list here. I get no gratification bashing his decklists, I just don’t want others mislead into believing this is the “way” to play Pox.

If you want to discuss how to improve his Karn Pox list I be willing to discuss it with you, but even after the said Pox deck is improved there is no guarantee that you’ll get the same results as him. I will say though I can make the deck more consistent.

Sep 2011

Has anyone played Pox lately?

I love the synergy between Currency Converter and Liliana of the Veil/Smallpox.

The other big weakness of Pox was lack of lifegain to survive the long attrition games. 2 newer cards help this. Cling to Dust both gives recurring lifegain and solves many recurring problems that would beat the attrition engine (Uro, Loam). Saga into Shadowspear also adds lifegain and helps the tokens beat through blockers.

Is a monoblack version viable for more stable mana without being as weak to Loam hate?

//Lands: 24
    4 Urza's Saga
    4 Wasteland
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Castle Locthwain
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    10 Swamp

//Spells: 24
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Cling to Dust
    2 Bloodchief's Thirst
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Smallpox
    2 Sudden Edict
    2 Pox

//Planeswalkers: 6
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifacts: 6
    3 Currency Converter
    1 The Rack
    1 Shadowspear
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Sudden Edict
    1 Lost Legacy
    1 Tourach, Dread Cantor

I think cutting down to 1 Rack is correct so you don't get blown out by artifact hate. Currency Converter and Spellbomb can at least convert to a card easily. Multiple Racks are a liability vs Force of Vigor/Meltdown. But having the 1 Rack still gives you the easy tutorable noncombat win condition.

I started off with 2 Crucible main (2 Torpor SB) and 0 Karns, but it quickly became clear that Karn should be better if you can reach 4 mana. Karn helps many Pox weaknesses: hates on artifact mana sources that dodge Smallpox, kills Chalice, disrupts combos, finds answers to noncreature permanents in game 1 (Ratchet Bomb), gains life (by diverting attacks), or exiles the graveyard (Crypt). Each of those modes helps monoblack attrition with a weakness. Or Karn can just fetch Crucible for attrition or get Coating to destroy basics.

It's possible Innocent Blood is better than Bloodchief's Thirst in a meta full of Delver and Initiative, though kicked Thirst kills nasty stuff like M&B and Karn. I went with Sudden Edicts instead for Marit Lage & Sneak Attack.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-26-2023 at 03:18 AM.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

. For a long time the game has been changing so that what the deck does is irrelevant. It began with the introduction of planeswalkers and got worse with sagas. There is no way a printing of a new card can rectify this.

Pox worked best when Delver decks was still built around Delver, lightning bolts and goyfs. Back then I got a perfect run at the lgs with a 5-0 win. I am content with that result. Last year I sold my collection and that is that.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Deck isn't really Pox any more- sagas, karn, whatever in mono black shells, aggro beats in black, depths mono b with voidwalkers and opposition agents etc., curses all exist. Ryosuke still plays the KMCs and does well with smallpox builds. You might see smallpox in some lists, you won't see daddy Pox ever except for content creators and that was true a few years ago. There is a discrd for all the mono b family of pox-ish things.

Thread Information