Page 248 of 263 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,960 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Not really a strategy but we can now play with official phyrexian swamps, courtesy of jumpstart!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, those are sexy. So far Jumpstart has been a pretty fun product to watch.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2218439

Having Waker of the Dead in the list made it illegal... lol... I'll add her after release. I'll find room for Eliminate too. Had to do some awkward juggling, like cutting Dark Rituals down. Planeswalking Pox?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

what's the over and under on the amount of snow swamps you'd need to run Dead of Winter?
    i'm for starting a petition to errata the winter mishra's factory as a snow permanent.

also, can i get a pox discord invite?

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    what's the over and under on the amount of snow swamps you'd need to run Dead of Winter?
    i'm for starting a petition to errata the winter mishra's factory as a snow permanent.

Part of the value of playing DOW in Snow control decks is that it doesn't kill your own Strixes and 3/3 Astrolabes (and you also have your own astrolabes to increase snow count).
    Without these upsides and with the relatively high likelihood of not having enough snow permanents to reliably kill the things you want in a reasonable timeframe it's probably going to be worse than Toxic Deluge most of the time.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post

I find 12 snow swamps to be adequate assuming you're running a 24 land minimum. Snow factories would definitely help in the power output of Dead of Winter.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would also look at Scrying Sheets and Dark Depths as strategies of you want to go the snow route. Scrying Sheets can help you find the snow man-lands and potentially other tech. Dark Depths is fairly well established as a strategy in fringe variants of Pox.

If you want more snow swamps to feed Dead of Winter you can cut the factories altogether and try an alternative win condition like Leyline/Helm.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2218439

Unfortunately, the full Planeswalker Pox design fails to disrupt quickly enough and ultimately resetting to an older design that disrupts strong and fast and then nails in the coffin with a Nether Void while also going the transformational sideboard into Oops-I-win Helm of the Void combo... The Waker of the dead is amazing behind a bridge and the triple Cursed Scroll design is very dangerous in the Delver meta. This is for my MTGO design as I don't own a Paper Tabernacle and run 4 Urborgs instead. I also have 3 Chains of Mephistopheles instead of 3 Underworld Dreams because of limited budget for Paper Pox Legends. I do own a single Nether Void from back in the day ^_^. Waker of the dead is also an excellent nuker for melting really big targets late game like a stalled Dark Depths or a late Show & Telled Emrakul. Eliminate replaced Innocent Blood and has proven excellent compared to my old sideboarded Murderous Riders and The Elderspell. I wished they had printed it sooner...

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Not really a fan of the heavy creature approach, but now that Eliminate is my favorite removal in place of Innocent Blood, the heavy agro approach could work. The sideboard definitely has inspiration. My only mod would be to remove the giant mana priced vampires and squeeze in 2 more smallpox.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If anyone is interested, there is a lot of love going around for Pox in the Leaving a Legacy facebook group and a recent episode of Leaving a Legacy did a historic overview of the deck. Definitely worth checking out.
    Brainstorm Realist

If anyone is interested, there is a lot of love going around for Pox in the Leaving a Legacy facebook group and a recent episode of Leaving a Legacy did a historic overview of the deck. Definitely worth checking out.
    I think i saw that was going to be a 4 part series on pox, so could be some good stuff there. I tried listening to it but my phone kept locking up while listening to it. it was through the website as opposed to an app so not sure if it was the site or my phone or a mix of both. Anyway i look forward to trying it again sometime.

Also, some of the memes are pretty good too.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

The 4part series comment was a joke...its just one episode. I use google play for my podcasts, works great.
    Brainstorm Realist

Well they got me with it then... thanks for the tip I'll try that for checking out the podcast

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

This is my test version for Lantern Pox. I was ultimately unhappy with the GB version, it didn't have enough gas against non-Delver decks. I was also thinking that the best GB deck in the format has to be Turbo Depths, which is another favorite deck of mine. So I dropped it in favor of this test of mono-black Pox.

4x Lantern of Insight
    4x Codex Shredder
    2x Ghoulcaller’s Bell
    3x Cursed Scroll
    2x Pithing Needle
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Mox Opal
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Smallpox
    2x Ashiok, Dream Render
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Collective Brutality
    1x Toxic Deluge
    3x Wasteland
    1x Buried Ruin
    4x Mishra’s Factory
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Castle Locthwain
    4x Vault of Whispers
    7x Swamp

Sideboard
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Grafdigger’s Cage
    2x Bitterblossom
    3x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Liliana’s Triumph
    2x OPEN

Suggestions are welcome. I traded away my Lily of the Veils, so I don't have them available. She isn't super great in the format anyways right now, and I needed somewhere to cut to fit in the Bridges/Lanterns/etc. Not sure about Ashiok as much anymore, not with Smallpox already pressuring their lands. It's another mill effect with an additional angle of attack, but at 3 mana without Rituals it seems a little iffy.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 08-11-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Sideboard
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Grafdigger’s Cage
    2x Bitterblossom
    2x Liliana’s Triumph
    3x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Liliana’s Triumph
    [/CARDS]

Suggestions are welcome. I traded away my Lily of the Veils, so I don't have them available. She isn't super great in the format anyways right now, and I needed somewhere to cut to fit in the Bridges/Lanterns/etc. Not sure about Ashiok as much anymore, not with Smallpox already pressuring their lands. It's another mill effect with an additional angle of attack, but at 3 mana without Rituals it seems a little iffy.

Are the Liliana's Triumphs reliable with the only Liliana in your sideboard? Having No Hymn to Tourachs main deck tells me your meta must be slower. How would you wield your sideboard?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Are the Liliana's Triumphs reliable with the only Liliana in your sideboard? Having No Hymn to Tourachs main deck tells me your meta must be slower. How would you wield your sideboard?
    They are functionally the same as Diabolic Edict with a tiny percentage chance of triggering a discard with the single LastHope.

Sideboard would be for matchups where Bridge isn't good: slower matchups like 4C control, Miracles, grindy decks where Bridge is dead. In comes Hymn to Tourach, Bitterblossom, Liliana Last Hope. Out goes Bridge, Deluge, some number of other matchup-dependant cards.

I would love to have something like Darkblast or Innocent Blood in the maindeck, but I don't know where to trim. The Lantern package takes up quite a bit of room.

EDIT: I realize now that I had Liliana's Triumph listed twice in the sideboard, so that opens up 2 slots for other options. Most likely will be Plague Engineer.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

With Mox Opals and perhaps other non-land mana, you could consider Tanglewire. The 2 Ashioks could be swapped. Charcoal Diamond? It'd be a ramping deck. Cursed Scroll with Bridge would be good synergy. Just aim at opponent's head for safe damage. Plague Engineers in an Ensnaring Bridge deck without Dark Rituals feels weird.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    With Mox Opals and perhaps other non-land mana, you could consider Tanglewire. The 2 Ashioks could be swapped. Charcoal Diamond? It'd be a ramping deck. Cursed Scroll with Bridge would be good synergy. Just aim at opponent's head for safe damage. Plague Engineers in an Ensnaring Bridge deck without Dark Rituals feels weird.
    While Plague Engineer might not have perfect synergy with Bridge, it's still likely the best option. The fact that it has deathtouch will help it immensely in combat. If it kills 1-2 creatures, keeps opponents from attacking, or blocks and kills something bigger than itself it has done it's job. I can always draw my 2nd card, attack, then play it post-combat to enable bridge to prevent attackers of 2 power or more. With the rising popularity/prominence of Goblins and Elves, I definitely want something that deals with tribal decks. Bridge and Deluge maindeck, then Engineer sideboard seems like a very good plan.

I don't think Tanglewire is supportable. It does slow the game down, but so does Smallpox. I don't want to tap out my mana on my turn, I want to continue applying lock pieces and playing out my cards to enable Bridge. That's the beauty of the Lantern + Bridge plan: you just play your cards out, manipulate your own top-decks, and lock your opponent out. Card advantage at that point doesn't really matter if opponent's can't get past Bridge. Once Bridge locks up combat, you deny them their outs to Bridge with Lantern. Then it's academic, just draw into a Cursed Scroll and start pinging for 2.

I'm surprised you brought up Plague Engineer for a Bridge deck but didn't bring up the fact that I have a full set of Mishra's Factory in the maindeck? Factory gets really bad with Bridge, but it still provides blockers and threats when I don't draw bridge or when Bridge isn't good. I might cut to 3 Factories so I can get a Castle Locthwain in there.

Cutting Dark Ritual is a calculated test: it doesn't offer much past the first few turns, opens the deck up to blowouts, and isn't as good as Mox Opal if you can turn Opal on. Opal is like a land that is immune to Smallpox sacrifices. Pox has enough cards that are symmetrical in effect, so if opponents can counter the spell you play off Ritual you 2-for-1-ed yourself. I think in a broad sense this is why Pox can't gain a foothold in the format. Ritual is a necessary evil in most lists to keep up with the power level of the format, getting 3-mana plays early, but it sets you up with a 'combo' that doesn't win on the spot, and sometimes can be simply played out.
    Brainstorm Realist

Cutting Dark Ritual is a calculated test: it doesn't offer much past the first few turns, opens the deck up to blowouts, and isn't as good as Mox Opal if you can turn Opal on. Opal is like a land that is immune to Smallpox sacrifices. Pox has enough cards that are symmetrical in effect, so if opponents can counter the spell you play off Ritual you 2-for-1-ed yourself. I think in a broad sense this is why Pox can't gain a foothold in the format. Ritual is a necessary evil in most lists to keep up with the power level of the format, getting 3-mana plays early, but it sets you up with a 'combo' that doesn't win on the spot, and sometimes can be simply played out.
    I think if you are correct you want either to go all in on fast mana like my curses deck or more play more conservatively.

I do think lantern won't function at all without md 3-4 chains in cantrip.format .

Thread Information