3 Hickory Woodlot
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Beast within
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Scooze
    2 Rec Sage
    1 Centaur Vinecrasher (I want Swagtusk here, but I need something big with Trample to deal with TNN)
    3 Choke
    3 Null Rod
    I was thinking about something similar, Rites of flourishing could be a card you want, also, i think hornet nest is not what you are looking for in this kind of deck
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

May 2013
    Paris, France

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

@ Dice: Having brewed (and heavily tested) with Green Stax, I can tell you that Delver (or anything flying) is a nightmare for your list. The only way to fix that issue is to find either a good body with reach (Bassara Tower Archer/Traproot Kami) or add a small splash for Abrupt decay. With 4 GSZ, pick your weapon of choice !

My two cents.

Regards,

Ralf

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I agree that Nest is bad overall, I just thought it was cute and was not really sure what else I want there. Maybe something like Devoted Druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    @ Dice: Having brewed (and heavily tested) with Green Stax, I can tell you that Delver (or anything flying) is a nightmare for your list. The only way to fix that issue is to find either a good body with reach (Bassara Tower Archer/Traproot Kami) or add a small splash for Abrupt decay. With 4 GSZ, pick your weapon of choice !

My two cents.

Regards,

Ralf
    Thanks, I will get on that. Should be something I can use in my EDH decks.

I am thinking either Scryb Ranger or Deadly Recluse.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 05-28-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2013

I ended up running this:

//Creatures:
    2 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Deadly Recluse
    4 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Tireless Tracker
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth

//Sorceries:
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

//Artifacts:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Smokestack
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    3 Trinisphere

//Lands:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Dryad Arbor
    6 Forest
    2 Ghost Quarter
    3 Hickory Woodlot
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    1 Wooded Foothills

//Planeswalkers:
    1 Garruk Relentless

//Sideboard:
    2 Beast Within
    3 Choke
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

Went 3/0 off to work before round 4. I think the deck would be better without the Stax in it, just as a bad Green Stompy shell. It's very fun, it's very resistant to hate but it lacks meaningful interaction and will likely die to a TNN.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Wouldn't Natural Order fit in nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Headshot View Post
    At that point I think the deck is just Stompy/Sylvan Plug. I've wanted to make something like that though, like:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Forest
    3 Foothills
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 GSZ
    3 Natural Order
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Choke

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trackers
    2 Courser
    1 Excavator
    1 Scooze
    1 Titania
    1 Tusk
    1 Eternal Witness
    7 Other things

SB: another natural order, more targety targets, etc.
    Could be a lot of fun in vintage, ordering into a Bane of Progress or something.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Headshot View Post
    I definitely think so. I could cut the Smokestack for 1 extra Garruk (It's a must) and two NO. The issue then is what you put in, you have to shape the deck and your not playing a ton of creatures you really want to sac.

Btw, this is what i was trying.
    More staxx heavy, because that's what I prefer to do

// 60 Maindeck
    // 23 Artifact
    4 Smokestack
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

// 2 Creature
    2 Ramunap Excavator

// 10 Enchantment
    4 Rites of Flourishing
    2 Choke
    4 Ground Seal

// 25 Land
    4 Wasteland
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Forest
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Sphere of Resistance

// 5 Creature
    SB: 2 Dawnstrider
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre

// 7 Enchantment
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 2 Song of the Dryads
    SB: 3 Seal of Primordium

// 1 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tsunami

Having fun with this list, I think im going to give it a fair shot
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Mar 2013

If your playing Green, you need Tracker. It's just too strong not to play. Clues, even without buffing Tracker, offer so much.

If your playing Green, you need Tracker. It's just too strong not to play. Clues, even without buffing Tracker, offer so much.
    While I do agree that tracker would probably be a good pick, I would prefer not to be soft to removals, even if tracker could still at least generate 1 clue.

Also, im not sure what i would want to cut, and 4 bridges are a bit of a nonbo aswell

Mar 2013

Bridge is not a nonbo, because I'm looking at it not as an attacker but as a draw engine. The ablity to make Clues you can sac to Stax or just draw cards, the decks biggest weakness, is itself an effect to seize. The idea that sometimes it will turn sideways is gravy. The fact that it can eat a swords is just unfortunate.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, Trackers turn any land into an advantage by giving you another permanent you can sac to Stax.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Yeah, Trackers turn any land into an advantage by giving you another permanent you can sac to Stax.
    Even better, if you sacrifice a clue to smokestack Tireless Tracker gets the +1/+1 counter

----

Last night I played the list I posted earlier at FNM. Went 3-1, beating Esper Stoneblade, High Tide, and 4c Pile (Finally!), losing to Miracles.

Best news is that I finally found a sideboard plan that scares Pile, namely 2x Etched Champion + 2x Batterskull + full set of Spyglass; who knew true-name nemesis would be so effective.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of the Metamorph, it was extremely cute copying Leovold, might have been better copying an etched champion (might be better just as the 3rd etched champion). Did not like the life loss, might have to test more.

The mazes never came in, though there was infect that night and they would have been solid there. They were brought in to deal with delvers + reanimated idiots.

I liked the mainboard, Karn was a beast when he sticked, was less impressed with the tangle wires and will switch them next time for +1 Sundial and +1 Spyglass, maybe. Also not sure about the flex lands, Tabernacle and Factory were the least relevant overall but then again I didn't hit many matchups where they were super relevant. One of them could very likely be better as another dunes of the dead, card has proven to be very good.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Barachai View Post
    was less impressed with the tangle wires and will switch them next time for +1 Sundial and +1 Spyglass, maybe. Also not sure about the flex lands, Tabernacle and Factory were the least relevant overall but then again I didn't hit many matchups where they were super relevant. One of them could very likely be better as another dunes of the dead, card has proven to be very good.
    any reason why you wouldn't run ghost quarter, even as a 1 or 2 of?

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    any reason why you wouldn't run ghost quarter, even as a 1 or 2 of?
    Ghost Quarter sets the deck back on mana for no effect vs most of the legacy meta, in a deck loaded with 3 and 4 drops; by the time it's worth activating our opponent should have scarier things to worry about. In other terms, if you feel good about activating a ghost quarter you're probably already winning. If we had a 3 or 2 mana exploration effect, or if the meta was 100% delver and eldrazi, that'd make ghost quarter a consideration to me.

Ghost Quarter sets the deck back on mana for no effect vs most of the legacy meta, in a deck loaded with 3 and 4 drops; by the time it's worth activating our opponent should have scarier things to worry about. In other terms, if you feel good about activating a ghost quarter you're probably already winning. If we had a 3 or 2 mana exploration effect, or if the meta was 100% delver and eldrazi, that'd make ghost quarter a consideration to me.

Mar 2013

You want GQ not because it helps when you are ahead but it puts the screws on when you are level. Once you can Crucible it you can do more damage than you think with that card.

You want GQ not because it helps when you are ahead but it puts the screws on when you are level. Once you can Crucible it you can do more damage than you think with that card.
    Sure, it does a lot of damage at parity. Problem is that most of the better decks are very good at getting (and staying) ahead on board, ie DRS + Strix, which has lead to a lot of my games feeling like a game from behind, not at parity. I'd rather have Dunes of the Dead to assist my Smokestack in pulling ahead on board more often than not.

(it probably doesn't help that just about everyone in my local meta has their deck built to be somewhat Ghost Quarter resistant, due to a fairly strong Lands presence; also probably doesn't help that DRS + Kommand/Decay has lead me to not relying on Crucible as much as I would like)

And yes, if you're in green it changes quite a bit.

Edit: as a kind of summary, there are a couple basic problems I have with Ghost Quarter at the moment, namely:
    1. the existence of Deathrite Shaman
    2. the format is very Tempo-sensitive
    3. the format is playing more basics
    4. the deck I'm playing needs 4+ mana to operate
    5. the deck needs to reach 4+ non-Ancient tomb mana against most decks in order to not die
    6. Ghost Quarter plays very badly with Ensnaring Bridge
    In addition, Ghost Quarter innately has its own problems:
    1. It's dependent on how your opponents deck is configured to be good
    2. It is mediocre without an exploration effect
    3. It's a poor topdeck that does little to bring back the board in most matchups

Not that I don't like Ghost Quarter, and there are plenty of conditions that would move me to play it (notably if Grixis delver, eldrazi and/or elves ever come back to my local meta in force). I tried it and found it to be wrong to activate it the vast majority of the times I've had it (I've actually been finding myself in more situations where wasteland is wrong to activate), so I moved away from it. I would play the *** out of it if my deck were in green (which is for sure why lands plays it over Port of late) or if my meta stopped being a midrange and control slugfest.
    Last edited by Barachai; 06-04-2018 at 11:30 AM.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

I will try this next week at the LGS:
    //Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    6 Forest
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    2 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Smokestack
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Trinisphere

//Creatures
    1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    2 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Tireless Tracker
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth

//Sideboard
    SB: 1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 2 Seal of Primordium
    SB: 2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 4 Thorn of Amethyst

Hit me with critique!

Also on another note: How do we win against the lockier decks like Dragon stompy? Fiery Confluence owns all our plans...
    Chalice on 1

-1 Mox, + 1 Land
    I think the land count is a bit low to support four Moxen...

Gesendet von meinem CS40 mit Tapatalk

Thread Information