Page 125 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2656

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Re: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

I imagine you could kinda trim around the edges of the deck to find room for 3-4 Chancellors if that's what you're into. Given that this is an open meta and you probably genuinely have no idea what to expect, I could see moving Iona and Elesh Norn to the sideboard since Griselbrand drawing into FoW is usually good enough to beat most things game one, and decks like Storm that couldn't beat Iona cant beat Chancellor either (and RUG Delver just auto-loses to any large creature). You could also trim a discard spell and maybe something else like a Daze and suddenly you've got 4 Chancellors. I'm not the biggest fan of Chancellor in this deck because it's so much less turn 1 oriented than BR but it's at least worth a shot.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

EDIT: @Fox

That has been my assumption and my (admittedly limited) experience as well, but I am open to hearing the other side!

Advantages of Chancellor I can see would be:

- Increased creature density for Careful Study, allowing for more consistent keepable hands
    - Once reanimated, helps you combo again much more reliably
    - An extra way to keep opponents off Chalice on the draw
    - An extra way to stop T1 combo on the draw

Also I suppose it’s not a given that Chancellor would replace Daze. Could run both...but at the expense of something else. Disadvantages of running it would be relative to what’s being cut, but generally:

- Possibly lower U count for FoW, making FoW less consistent
    As a reanimation target it is more and more lacklustre the longer the game goes. Also highly vulnerable to Swords, which is expected to see more play. Baleful Strix...stares at it
    - Broadcasts what deck you’re playing, removing the “Surprise!” Factor
    - Really crappy topdeck (feels especially bad if it’s the first card you draw off the top in a game). More Ponders better in this role?
    - Literally any other viable disruption is better past turn one

Any other input or experience?

EDIT 2: @ Ephameron

That is an interesting take as well, removing creatures. Let’s examine that:

Iona beats: Storm, Elves, Burn, High Tide, USUALLY Sneak n Show and Infect.
    Of those, Chancellor only beats Storm and is varyingly annoying for the others.

Elesh Norn beats: Elves, Dredge, Infect, Delver
    Of those, Chancellor only really tips the scales vs Delver in any appreciable fashion. Even then, they can realistically race.

Grave Titan beats: Edicts, goes wide vs Strix and is a two turn clock. This could be worse than Chancellor based on meta.

Tidespout Tyrant beats: Depths, Lands, random stuff if it gets out early enough. Pitches to FoW! Answers Bridge and Chasm and Maze and other stuff we would lose to.
    I would not cut Tidespout unless we had more generic answers to problem permanents, so he would not get cut for Chancellor as-is.

Griselbrand: Generically good. Going from 3 down to 2 might be possible? I would not be the one to take that plunge though.

I do agree that cutting random cards could get you to 3-4 Chancellors if you wanted to, but cost-benefit would depend on the cards. There is some overlap in Elesh Norn and Iona so I could see Iona moving to the board depending on meta.

Just a (frustrating) PSA to those playing on MTGO: Keranos + Containment Priest is bugged. Just had my Keranos get exiled under a Priest -.-

With the new banlist update, I have some renewed interest in the UB version of Reanimator. I played it a lot in 2012-2013 but haven't touched it since. I dabbled in BR Reanimator in 2016 but the UB version IMO is the place you want to be for this strategy. Blue's cantrips, countermagic, and Show and Tell look to be better at facing the new format of increased dedicated postboard graveyard hate and no Deathrite Shamans.

I wanted to ask about Lotus Petal specifically. My understanding is that it was first adopted to increase the speed of the deck and to outrace Deathrite Shaman. Now that DRS is no longer a part of the format, is there merit to returning to the GP Atlanta-style decklists with 17-18 lands and zero petals, or is the ability to turn 1 Entomb+Reanimate still important?

At this point in the meta, I would say to stick to speed Grand Superior.

It is always better to be faster when you aren't sure what is going to happen and with the recent shakeup, I would rather out run the pile of hate that MAY be coming rather than try to fight through all the potential hate. This is especially good when you consider how much of the hate comes at the 2 spot.

So this is the last saved decklist I have for UB Reanimator and will probably be my starting point for the new meta, this is circa shortly after Top got banned, hence the lack of green/Abrupt Decay. There might be too much anti-DRS stuff left over in the board right now but I expect to see an uptick in Containment Priest and Karakas so Push and Needle can stay for now.

1x Island
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Misty Rainforest

3x Lotus Petal

3x Griselbrand
    1x Elesh Norn
    1x Iona
    1x Tidespout Tyrant
    1x Grave Titan

4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Careful Study
    3x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Entomb
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    1x Animate Dead
    2x Thoughtseize
    2x Collective Brutality

Sideboard:

2x Duress
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Fatal Push
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Massacre
    2x Show and Tell
    2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    1x Surgical Extraction
    From nothing came teeth.

I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    So this is the last saved decklist I have for UB Reanimator and will probably be my starting point for the new meta, this is circa shortly after Top got banned, hence the lack of green/Abrupt Decay. There might be too much anti-DRS stuff left over in the board right now but I expect to see an uptick in Containment Priest and Karakas so Push and Needle can stay for now.

1x Island
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Misty Rainforest

3x Lotus Petal

3x Griselbrand
    1x Elesh Norn
    1x Iona
    1x Tidespout Tyrant
    1x Grave Titan

4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Careful Study
    3x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Entomb
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    1x Animate Dead
    2x Thoughtseize
    2x Collective Brutality

Sideboard:

2x Duress
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Fatal Push
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Massacre
    2x Show and Tell
    2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    1x Surgical Extraction
    You don't really need collective brutality. There was only one real purpose for that card.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    You don't really need collective brutality. There was only one real purpose for that card.
    Is it wrong that I almost like Brutality more now? I was still in the "testing it out" phase and it always felt a little slow against DRS since discarding is part of the cost, you couldn't get the full value of the card if DRS was active. Now I feel like it's going to be a 2 for 1 (or a 2 for 2 but you know what I mean) a lot more reliably. It might just be too slow but I'm still gonna mess around with it.
    From nothing came teeth.

Jun 2012
    NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Is it wrong that I almost like Brutality more now? I was still in the "testing it out" phase and it always felt a little slow against DRS since discarding is part of the cost, you couldn't get the full value of the card if DRS was active. Now I feel like it's going to be a 2 for 1 (or a 2 for 2 but you know what I mean) a lot more reliably. It might just be too slow but I'm still gonna mess around with it.
    Yeah it's still uncounterable way to bin a fattie. The discard mode is still relevant and so is the -2/-2 creature mode. it can handle a baleful strix that's in your way or containment priest that foiled your previous reanimation attempt.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by marshalltj View Post
    Just a (frustrating) PSA to those playing on MTGO: Keranos + Containment Priest is bugged. Just had my Keranos get exiled under a Priest -.-
    :(

@Grand Superior I thought that even in a DRS meta it was better to stick to zero petals, and now that we will probably see a rise in surgical+faerie macabre+LoTV, i feel like we will want even more to be on the grindy side instead of the speedy one. The one main argument for wanting to be fast these years was trying to push through DRS before it can untap and activate. Now with the card gone, I think makes much more sense to try to play a slower game where your graveyard will be less controlled than before. Post sideboard, with all the hate, trying to go off t1 will lead you to more headaches than wins.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by bobomb View Post
    Yeah it's still uncounterable way to bin a fattie. The discard mode is still relevant and so is the -2/-2 creature mode. it can handle a baleful strix that's in your way or containment priest that foiled your previous reanimation attempt.
    I agree. Collective will probably be better now that the 1 mana planeswalker is gone.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

If our game gets slower, wouldn't Spellseeker be really good? It can also grab Brutality for example.

So i have been thinking of adding mire discard spells to the deck. I feel that this would help against cards like surgical/faerie/hatebears and makes grinding a lot more appealing. Not sure what i would be cutting but maybe some number of petals.

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    If our game gets slower, wouldn't Spellseeker be really good? It can also grab Brutality for example.
    If the meta were that slow, Buried Alive would be more efficient. Maybe at 1U it'd be a consideration, but that's probably too close to Mystical territory to ever happen.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Didn't some of you used to play Jace, Vryns Prodigy? Any reason he can't be decent again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    I agree. Collective will probably be better now that the 1 mana planeswalker is gone.
    Do you have an updated list that you're playing now that DRS is gone? The idea of no petal is pretty intriguing to me!

Arcane Artisan has been popping up in Show and Tell lists. If we're playing a more grindy game and there's a good amount of GY hate out there, does this card make sense? It protects targets from GY hate, and plays around a lot of counter magic that is brought in against us.

It's slow, but if the game is slowing, it may be correct. Show and Tell players are testing it out to some success. Thought it would be worth a try in UB also

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    Arcane Artisan has been popping up in Show and Tell lists. If we're playing a more grindy game and there's a good amount of GY hate out there, does this card make sense? It protects targets from GY hate, and plays around a lot of counter magic that is brought in against us.
    SnT decks decks can only win by cheating out their wincon (or cheat Omni into cheat a wincon), which is why Artisan is much better at winning the same way except with the word token instead of card. UBx has a much easier time progressing its gameplan while answering problems (Coll. Brut.) and/or playing the opponent's deck. Using our own SnT is more reliable in the sense that it's able to push the gameplan forward in a way that asks different questions. If you wanted to use a 3cmc creature to play through different hate, I'd suggest Volrath's Shapeshifter or more realistically Skill Borrower. I don't think Skill Borrower is particularly good, but there really isn't any hate piece that is going to stop cantripping Grisel to top of deck and securing a draw 7/14 without any gap in priority between creature on board and activating grisel-draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Didn't some of you used to play Jace, Vryns Prodigy? Any reason he can't be decent again?
    JVP is the mutt's nutts. I played him before and thought he was good, and am currently playing 2 in the board and he's still good. Sucks that Grafdigger's Cage also neuters his best PW ability but such is life.
    From nothing came teeth.

I feel like we really need to find a way to diversify our threats. So far other decks have multiple synergistic avenues of attack (mana denial, hand attack, direct damage spells). Even SnS has the ability to go the Omniscience route instead of getting out a big beater. So far reanimator has been stuck on getting a creature out, which is easily enough answered nowadays. The days of a big "game-ending" monster being enough to close out the game are over (and with BR reanimator being able to put a creature out so quickly this will mean that a creature "game-ending" enough for UB would be OP with BR).

I'm not sure what attack plan will synergize with reanimator, given the deck slots we have devoted to jumping through the GY hoop. SnS just has one simple enabler (S&T) and thus can easily diversify their attack plan to include powerful enchantments/artifacts should they get printed in the future. Just imagine if we had a super-buffed version of Keranos that dealt 6 damage instead of 3.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    Do you have an updated list that you're playing now that DRS is gone? The idea of no petal is pretty intriguing to me!
    Sup jaytron i haven't settled on a list yet and that, combined with the fact that everybody is still going full on paranoia with the gravehate, made me take the choice to let things cool off, let grizz & co. have their deserved rest for a few weeks while the gy purge cools off. I've been thinking that probably i would play the exact 76 . DNT has risen up again so the MD needle is still needed. Maybe collective brutality can find its way into MD, and dropping seize to the sideboard, since the main allure of seize was to snipe a shaman t1.

RNGesus i feel you are understimating the power of a griz in a UB shell. The biggest difference veing that in BR reanimator griz is vulnerable, while in UB he can just draw cards to find a FOW and save himself. The biggest reasoning, at least for me, to go for a petal-less build was the train of thought that griselbrand is gonna be light out either t1 or t5. On a petal less build griselbrand D7s are a bit better since you dont have dead cards like daze or petals, griz only draws you gas.

A card that now without drs makes me really curious to give another rodeo is Search for Azcanta, since it functions as an enabler and a way to outdraw miracles post board.

Thread Information