Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Re: [Primer/Deck] Reanimator

Just placed in 1st with Reanimator at Jupiter Games monthly NELC.

I posted a tournament report on the source as well as some changes I plan on making. Check it out

Took second at an 8 man local tourney yesterday with Reanimator.

List:

// Creatures: 7
    4x Griselbrand
    1x Iona
    1x Tidespout
    1x Elesh Norn

// Spells: 35
    4x Force of Will
    3x Daze
    4x Thoughtseize

4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder
    4x Careful Study
    4x Entomb

4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    2x Animate Dead

18x Lands including a Karakas

// Sideboard:
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Spell Pierce
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Chain of Vapor
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Wasteland
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Blazing Archon
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Jin Gitaxian

Round 1: Burn by Lyon- 2-0

Game one: I think I get griselbrand online and start to hit him and the lifegain is too much. He correctly tries to kill the Griselbrand with a Chain Lightning and a Fireblast, but I find the daze for the fireblast and have just enough health to survive another turn and get the lifelink going.

SB: -1 Thoughtseize, +1 Jin Gitaxian.

Game two: Iona on turn 2.

Round 2: Scapeshift Nic Fit by Devin- 2-0

Game one: I keep a somewhat sketchy hand, he cabal therapies and I let it resolve, he whiffs. He casts a second therapy, and I force it. I brainstorm and put Exhume, Griselbrand on top of my library, keeping new cards in hand just in case he drops a creature or two. On my turn I draw the exhume, cast entomb, flip the griselbrand into the yard and exhume it. Griselbrand takes the game over.

SB: -3 Daze, +2 Chain of Vapor, +1 Pithing Needle.

Game two: He drops a leyline turn 0, I look at my hand of Entomb, 3x Exhume, Ponder, 2x land. Shit. I pray he doesn't therapy on exhume, he plays a land and passes. I ponder on my turn, not what I need on top, shuffle up and draw the Chain of Vapor. I draw something, play a land, pass the turn. He Green Sun's on his turn for a scavenging ooze, I bounce Leyline at the end of his turn and entomb for griselbrand. Untap, exhume. He somehow slips a pretty big board out of Huntsman / Ooze / Vet / Token to my Griselbrand. I end up not being able to race him somehow, the ooze ate my other creatures and he's threatening about 10 damage a turn and I'm already very low. I don't actually remember how I got into this position, I just know that I ended up being low on life and the game sort of dragged on. Eventually, he only had one green open and I was able to careful study an elesh norn and a tidespout tyrant in the yard. I exhume again, he eats Elesh, I get Tidespout. I thoughtseize to bounce the now large Ooze, and then force it on his main phase to bounce his huntsman and I take the win on the swingback next turn.

Round 3: Deathblade by Rich- 1-2

Game one: I push through a Griselbrand and take it in short order.

Game two: I keep a super cantrip heavy hand with a reanimate effect, all I need to do is find a creature with 2 brainstorms, a ponder, and a careful study. A key mistake where I don't shuffle with my first ponder leads to a poor brainstorm, which leads to really inefficient use of my cantrips. I know what I needed, and I ignored finding it. I read a post earlier on the source on how to properly play Ponder, and I really ignored their advice and lost because of it. I end up never finding a creature, and die because I opted to keep redundant effects instead of finding exactly what I needed.

Game three: I mull to 5 and have everything that I need. I entomb in response to his discard. He forces, I daze it, he forces again, I lose my entomb and my reanimate effect. He had the god-hand to stop me, and there was no way I could come back. In two turns he snap backs inquisition and takes my reanimate I rip off the top. =(.

We play another game for fun, and I have the god-hand back, so I'm not that upset about it, it can sometimes just happen.

I end up 2-1 to take second for some packs.

With the new Legendary changes, Reanimator can no longer rely on Karakas to protect its own creatures. Therefore, I have created a new list that I will be running.

MD:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Tidespout

4 Entomb
    4 Careful Study
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Pithing Needle

2 Show and Tell
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    1 Animate Dead

4 U.Sea
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Flooded Strand

4 Lotus Petal

SB:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Vendillion Clique
    1 Angel of Despair

Upon further consideration, the sideboard will be adjusted as such:

-1 Thoughtseize
    -1 Pithing Needle
    +2 Karakas

The addition of Karakas in the sideboard is two fold: it provides additional lands to hardcast fatties in control matchups, adds mana to play around soft countermagic from RUG, etc, and it also is disruption against other Show and Tell decks.
    At no point does reanimator really want four needles or four thoughtseize. Three of each is sufficient.

4 Grisel
    1 Iona
    1 Elesh
    1 Angel of Desp

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Animate Dead

4 Careful Study
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Entomb

2 Show and Tell

4 Force of Will
    4 Thoughtseize

4 U.Sea
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Flooded Strand

4 Lotus Petal

SB:

3 Pithing Needle
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Karakas
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Vendillion Clique
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    Last edited by Dyvith; 05-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.

That series of posts was a little confusing, however, I happened to cave and traded off 2x Tropical Islands (I need to focus on one deck haha) for Show and Tells and Lotus Petals (3x SnT, 4x Petals). I put together the maindeck list you won NELC with and I have to say, with Lotus Petals, Show and Tell feels a lot better, the whole deck in general felt a lot better.

The only difference was that I was running 2x ponder, +1 thoughtseize +1 land over your list, I put everything together from memory and couldn't for the life of me figure out how you fit the last 2 ponders into the deck haha. So I just ran it as is and it felt great, but I'm definitely going to be putting the other ponders into the list and testing from there. I think your most recent sideboard is solid, I would probably, however, run the singleton Karakas maindeck as a good maindeckable answer to some SnT decks and instead of running Karakas in the board, run Wastelands. They still tap for mana, they deal with Karakas, they deal with Maze of Ith, they seem like a better slot after the legend rule.

Overall I definitely have to say, the maindeck just feels super solid and will feel even more solid when I get the extra ponders in there, Ponder rocks.

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    That series of posts was a little confusing, however, I happened to cave and traded off 2x Tropical Islands (I need to focus on one deck haha) for Show and Tells and Lotus Petals (3x SnT, 4x Petals). I put together the maindeck list you won NELC with and I have to say, with Lotus Petals, Show and Tell feels a lot better, the whole deck in general felt a lot better.

The only difference was that I was running 2x ponder, +1 thoughtseize +1 land over your list, I put everything together from memory and couldn't for the life of me figure out how you fit the last 2 ponders into the deck haha. So I just ran it as is and it felt great, but I'm definitely going to be putting the other ponders into the list and testing from there. I think your most recent sideboard is solid, I would probably, however, run the singleton Karakas maindeck as a good maindeckable answer to some SnT decks and instead of running Karakas in the board, run Wastelands. They still tap for mana, they deal with Karakas, they deal with Maze of Ith, they seem like a better slot after the legend rule.

Overall I definitely have to say, the maindeck just feels super solid and will feel even more solid when I get the extra ponders in there, Ponder rocks.
    so karakas now is used solely as to bounce opposing legendaries?

seems like a smaller use to me

maybe we can improvise

Quote Originally Posted by jcsy View Post
    so karakas now is used solely as to bounce opposing legendaries?

seems like a smaller use to me

maybe we can improvise
    It's still wildly powerful against SnT based decks, but in general I'm just running Wastelands over it when the legend rule happens. Wastelands kill Karakas and Maze of Ith, and both of those would be real annoying to see.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I ran Karakas as a stifle-proof Waste against opposing Karakas, with the added bonus of being good against SnT decks.
    With the new ruling, the main purpose is removed, and the narrow application just doesn't warrant a spot in the 75.
    Wasteland solves all the problems that Karakas did, and against SnT, I try and assembly Tidespout & cantrips as quickly as possible if I am unable to just outright counter the Show itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Dec 2011
    USA

Update June-2nd-2013 noted & added to list.

11th place of 298 players, SCG Baltimore, June 2nd
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=56340

Creatures (7)
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    Lands (15)
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    Spells (38)
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Animate Dead
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Entomb
    4 Force of Will
    4 Careful Study
    4 Exhume
    4 Ponder
    4 Reanimate
    2 Show and Tell
    3 Thoughtseize
    ~Sideboard:
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Terastodon
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Repeal
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Wipe Away
    2 Show and Tell
    1 City of Traitors

This one is pushing the more traditional Lotus Petal version, there are no Daze, as it seems it's been going back and forth between Daze -or- Lotus Petal since the Lotus Petal version has hit. This one also has 2 main / 2 side Show and Tell which has been seen more as of late. Also note the land count is 15
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Ben Green Top 32ed and I top 64ed the event with Reanimator as well.

Dec 2011
    USA

Oh dam nice! Reanimator isn't going anywhere anytime soon, hate, screw the hate! DRShaman isn't fast enough. ^^
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Oh dam nice! Reanimator isn't going anywhere anytime soon, hate, screw the hate! DRShaman isn't fast enough. ^^
    Deathrite isn't actually that annoying, most notably with Show an Tell as your Plan B. It IS annoying, but not so much that the deck is unplayable given that Esper Deathblade gives you YEARS to find any action in most games. It's unfortunate that one of my two losses on the day was to that (the other was to Chris Pikula on RUG), but it felt more like a function of my drawing all air until late both games than anything else. You may want a few cards for Shaman, but Needle and Repeal cover them pretty admirably and are more flexible than something like, say, Ground Seal (Which I was considering to fight DRS/Noxious Revival/etc... but leave Exhume turned on).

For anyone wondering, my Karakas was missing on availability, but I also didn't miss it. Tidespout fights big dumb idiots quite well, Terastadon handled enemy Karakii in a fine manner, and Iona on Blue was all I ever wanted to do against other show and tell decks anyway (especially Omniclash which cannot actually beat that). Worth noting is I did mulligan a few times for colors despite replacing Karakas with an on-color basic, which leads me to believe running Karakas, while powerful, might also be shooting yourself in the foot due to The Fear.

Daze vs. Petal
    Daze seems like a stronger sideboard choice than the mana-fueled counters like Spell Pierce (which was awkward and didn't get sided in often) against the aggressive disruption decks like RUG Delver that typically can put a Big Stuff deck like this on the back foot. Lotus Petals as a 4 of are incredible in the main deck, as most of the time you just want to do really awfully unfair things as soon as possible anymore. If you don't, their DRS comes online, or SnT->ETI happens, etc..
    Petals in this deck feel kind of like running Moxes when no one else is, and it's fantastic.

-SZ

Quote Originally Posted by rodgon666 View Post
    hahaha. cant believe this is still going. lol
    Discard and graveyard fillers:
    - 4 entomb
    - 4 putrid imp
    - 4 oona's prowler
    - 3 careful study

Creatures for reanimation:
    - 2 Iona
    - 2 jin gitaxias
    - 2 sundering titan
    - 2 griselbrand
    - 1 bogardan hellkite

Reanimation spells:
    - 4 reanimate
    - 4 animate dead
    - 4 exhume

Acceleration:

- 4 dark rituals

--------------------
    Ok, this has really intrigued me. I would never have considered this deck without extensive counters and disruption. I goldfished this deck and it is FAST!, and very consistant. Obviously no protection after that though.

How come there has been NO discussion regarding this post. I think it merrits some consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    Ok, this has really intrigued me. I would never have considered this deck without extensive counters and disruption. I goldfished this deck and it is FAST!, and very consistant. Obviously no protection after that though.

How come there has been NO discussion regarding this post. I think it merrits some consideration.
    Because every other list is fast, consistent, and has extensive counters and/or disruption. The lack of protection and super awful creature/card choices is enough to not play it against any real deck.

I can see this reasoning. I tried the non counter list and it was just too fragile to survive in a diverse meta.

Cool to see Reanimator surge to DtB again. I've always loved the deck but am a little surprised in this heavy Deathrite Shaman meta it is doing so well.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: [DTB] Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    Cool to see Reanimator surge to DtB again. I've always loved the deck but am a little surprised in this heavy Deathrite Shaman meta it is doing so well.
    DRS is heavily played, but it's Not just a DRS meta. There are a lot of good match ups for the deck. I feel Lotus Petal versions are the way to go not just against turn 1 DRS. Added value against mirrors, or other fast combo. Though Reanimator is one of the fastest decks anyway, it doesn't lose as much from daze as it gains on Petal, currently.

If it's around it demands hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Can I post in this thread regarding my BR reanimate list or is there another thread for that?

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

We got second, guys!

Also, DRS is completely beatable. It's good, but can be Thoughtseized or Force of Will'd or Needled or ignored with Show and Tell just like most cards we have to watch out for. If it comes to it, you can bin two guys with Study and Exhume.
    Hardly the death knell for graveyard strategies.

I'm excited to see Reanimator back in the DtB section, also. The deck really is a big bottle of hot sauce.

Now to figure out the "Murder Maverick" fat guy. So far, looking like Sphinx of the Steel Wind might be coming back soon to a necromancer near you.

Thread Information