Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37778384858687
Results 1,721 to 1,736 of 1736

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

  1. #1721

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Don't think this ends well for you when you try to finish people with Fireblast.
    Yeah you got a point there. Maybe cut 1 or 2 Fireblast if you want to try this. Although more often than not, burn players usually are above their opponent's life totals during a game.

  2. #1722
    Global Moderator
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Copenhagen
    Posts

    2,241

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    someone mentioned burn on facebook with regard to the new wheel.

    it's probably maindeckable.

    pros:
    can find fireblast
    possibly deal damage
    helps find sb cards like mindbreak trap, tormod's crypt, surgical

    cons:
    costs 3 mana
    doesn't help early game vs fast combo
    doesn't impact the board state

    any thoughts?
    -rob

  3. #1723

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    I've also been thinking about this new wheel. My concern is that won't it probably end up as another punisher card in burn (like Browbeat), not actually getting the desired result you want? However I realized that you can almost always draw seven with this in the right scenario. Consider this: you get your opponent in low life total while you are comfortably way above his or hers. Then cast this as your last card in hand. Assuming this resolves, set your number equal to your opponent's life total to draw your seven cards (hopefully 1 or 2 of them is Fireblast). One thing I cant't figure out is to how can you make this deal damage to your opponent consistently if you want that result.

    On another note, what happens when you and your opponent chose the same number (in a 2 player game)? Would that number be considered maximum or minimum (or both)?

  4. #1724
    Global Moderator
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Copenhagen
    Posts

    2,241

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    each player who didn't choose the lowest number wheels. so if both people say 15, they both take 15 damage and wheel.
    -rob

  5. #1725
    Member
    gRR!!'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2011
    Location

    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts

    179

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    If both people says 15, didn't have both chosen the lowest number? In this case, both players take 15 damage and no-one wheels, I think.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

  6. #1726

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by gRR!! View Post
    If both people says 15, didn't have both chosen the lowest number? In this case, both players take 15 damage and no-one wheels, I think.
    Grr is correct that if both people name the same number it is just a super flame-rift. I think that in most cases that is favourable for burn.

  7. #1727
    Global Moderator
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Copenhagen
    Posts

    2,241

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    yea looking at it again looks like if both people choose 19, then both are taking 19 damage and not wheeling. given how often burn has more life prior to 3 mana in play, i don't think this will come up THAT often.
    -rob

  8. #1728
    Member

    Join Date

    Mar 2008
    Location

    Boa Vista RR (in the brazilian jungle)
    Posts

    37

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Hello,
    I got a N00b question about Roiling Vortex and Rift Bolt.

    If I am reading Vortex correctly, we get 5 DMG when casting a suspended Rift Bolt. However today I watched a video on youtube, where a burn player cast a suspended Rift Bolt on MTGO and got no damage form vortex. Here is the link (minute 14:06): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4bhSnPNJ8

    Is there some ruling, that Vortex does no damage because of suspend or is it a bug on MTGO?

    Thank you! :)

  9. #1729

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by the resurrection View Post
    Hello,
    I got a N00b question about Roiling Vortex and Rift Bolt.

    If I am reading Vortex correctly, we get 5 DMG when casting a suspended Rift Bolt. However today I watched a video on youtube, where a burn player cast a suspended Rift Bolt on MTGO and got no damage form vortex. Here is the link (minute 14:06): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4bhSnPNJ8

    Is there some ruling, that Vortex does no damage because of suspend or is it a bug on MTGO?

    Thank you! :)
    This is a neat rules interaction. The rift bolt wasn't free, it cost 1 because of Sphere of Resistance. If there was no sphere or thalia effect it would indeed hit the burn player for 5.

  10. #1730

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    someone mentioned burn on facebook with regard to the new wheel.

    it's probably maindeckable.

    pros:
    can find fireblast
    possibly deal damage
    helps find sb cards like mindbreak trap, tormod's crypt, surgical

    cons:
    costs 3 mana
    doesn't help early game vs fast combo
    doesn't impact the board state

    any thoughts?
    Hiya! Someone over on reddit's r/lavaspike mentioned the new commander card in AFR: maddening hex (https://media.wizards.com/2021/afr/en_gptrtIo4Wf.png). How do we feel about this in the three mana slot instead?

    Pros:
    Enchantments are more difficult to remove pre-SB
    High damage potential
    Better version of curse of the pierced heart
    Does help against combo somewhat

    Cons
    Same as wheel of misfortune

    Edit: PVDH thinks it has potential -
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7THRHOX...name=4096x4096
    Last edited by indomitable; 11-03-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spurious quote tag

  11. #1731
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,539

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn



    This is good right?

    Like, not Eidolon of the Great Revel good, but Pyrostatic Pillar good?

    Seems good...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  12. #1732
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Hell in a Nutshell
    Posts

    5,220

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Its one sided, which i imagine really helps burn race combo decks, especially Storm. Its really hard for Ur delver to remove as well as an enchantment. It seems really good, but probably not as good as Eidolon as you say.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  13. #1733
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    PDX
    Posts

    2,130

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by indomitable View Post
    Edit: PVDH thinks it has potential -
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7THRHOX...name=4096x4096
    Ragavan is a C+ card...

  14. #1734

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Speaking of new cards for burn, crimson vow just brought us reckless impulse, which reads the same as light up the stage except it costs 1R with no spectacle.

    I already play LutS in my deck, and I feel like I can either activate spectacle - or I don't care about the cost reduction so much because I'm already a bit flooded. It seems like the window when reckless impulse is straight better is pretty narrow? I'll definitely try this out, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse on average. The big thing you miss with reckless impulse is chaining LutS into another LutS with mana left to do something useful...

    Edit: having thought more about it, I would say that LutS is just better
    Last edited by indomitable; 11-03-2021 at 11:35 AM.

  15. #1735

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Mind sharing your list?

    I tried LutS but was not really impressed because it led to weird sequencing

  16. #1736

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Kriggy View Post
    Mind sharing your list?

    I tried LutS but was not really impressed because it led to weird sequencing
    Sure:
    *Maindeck*
    12 creatures - standard package of Eidolon, Goblin Guide, Monastery Swiftspear
    12 instants - Bolt (4), Fireblast (3), Price of Progress (3), Searing Blood (2)
    17 sorceries - Chain Lightning (4), Lava Spike (4), Rift Bolt (4), Skewer the Critics (3), Light up the Stage (2)
    19 lands - Mountain (18), Fiery Islet (1)

    Some notes:
    - I only run 3 Fireblast because of 18 mountains
    - I run the Fiery Islet because I like it in my modern burn deck (usually just cycles itself for another card)
    - Despite being atypical in main, Searing Blood is not usually a dead card for me, and there is often a "C+ card" to kill with it
    - Two Light up the Stage seems like a good number. I went down to 3 Skewer the Critics so as to not have too much spectacle burden.

    That's 19 bolts, but I've had (and seen) success with going down to 18; any less than that and I think burn has trouble finishing the game. In terms of the play patterns, you'll note that sorceries are the most common type, so if you have to play in a main phase anyway - you'd might as well play in the first main phase in case you hit a haste creature off the LutS (or, if the board is empty play LutS after combat). I usually try to "burst" my spells in game 1 against blue decks anyway so I play the burn spells out until one goes through, and then LutS for more gas.

    *Sideboard*
    4 GY hate - usually Faerie Macabre because I hate drawing Leyline with no way to cast it
    4 artifact hate - Smash to Smithereens
    2 creature hate - I use Dead // Gone here since I MD 2 Searing effects. Dead kills Ragavan and Gone removes Marit Lage / other cheated fatty
    2 blue "hate" - Red Elemental Blast right now (kills Murktide), but I've also used Exquisite Firecraft
    3 other - Roiling Vortex is what I'm currently using, but this is a flex spot
    Last edited by indomitable; 11-03-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: forgot something

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)