Page 316 of 319 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319 LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

This is a great video with a cool direction to take Deadguy Ale using Witch...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Oj0OlUHgY&t=9999s

Just hope the Naughty Ale list above performs this well.

Hi Guys.

I'm going to play for the first time with the deck, I'm thinking of taking this, what do you think (specially the sideboard).
    My idea is taking a very generic sideboard and use "Enlightened Tutor" to be "Generic Hate" search, because i don't know what decks i'll find.
    Don't know if I'm analyzing correctly the deck, but it seams to me that he struggles against graveyard decks and Punishing Fire, but what about combo like "Dark Depths", or "Big Red".

Ideas? Thoughts?
    Thanx

12 Creature
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Opposition Agent

18 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Thougthseise
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Kaya's Guile

8 OTHER SPELLS
    1 Bitterblossom
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

22 LANDS
    4 Scrubland
    4 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Silent Clearing
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    3 Wasteland
    1 Mishra's Factory
    1 Karakas

SIDEBOARD
    2 Vindicate
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Oblivian Ring
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    Last edited by jonesypunk; 04-30-2021 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Removed Serenity with Oblivian Ring

In what situations do you need the nuclear option of serenity as opposed to something like Stoney silence or seal of cleansing? It seems to have a bunch of friendly fire in your BB, batterskull, phrexian revolver deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    In what situations do you need the nuclear option of serenity as opposed to something like Stoney silence or seal of cleansing? It seems to have a bunch of friendly fire in your BB, batterskull, phrexian revolver deck.
    True. I put it there because while searching my available options i found it and i remembered that a friend usually plays with Enchantress, but already replaced it with Oblivian Ring, it didn't make much sense to have a Serenity.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesypunk View Post
    Hi Guys.

I'm going to play for the first time with the deck, I'm thinking of taking this, what do you think (specially the sideboard).
    My idea is taking a very generic sideboard and use "Enlightened Tutor" to be "Generic Hate" search, because i don't know what decks i'll find.
    I absolutely love the idea of using Enlightened Tutor to grab hate cards sideboarded in, but I dont think it makes sense to have the E Tutor taking up valuable sideboard slots. This plan functions best in a list that can maindeck E Tutor because it has cards it wants to Tutor up in the maindeck as well.

Your idea helped me revise my Naughty Ale list to be much more consistent...

4 Thoughtseize
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Night's Whispers
    1 Reanimate
    1 Sevinne's Reclamation

4 Dark Confidant
    2 Mother of Runes

3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Oblivion Ring

Tutorable Combo - 9 of each half plus tutors
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Hunted Horror
    1 Eater of Days
    4 Hushbringer
    2 Strict Proctor
    1 Illusionary Mask
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Scroll of Fate

21 Lands
    2 Swamp
    2 Plains
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    2 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Silent Clearing
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Prismatic Vista

Sideboard:
    1 Damping Sphere
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Chains of Mephistophleles/Leyline of the Void
    1 Ratchet Bomb/Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage/Soul Guide Lantern
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Serenity/Seal of Cleansing
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass/Null Rod
    1 Leyline of Sanctity (Or some other card against burn)
    1 Nihil Spellbomb/Relic of Progenitus
    1 Ensnaring Bridge/Trinisphere/Stony Silence
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Thorn of Amethyst/Tormod's Crypt
    1 Engineered Plague

Universally useful cards like O Ring, Phyrexian Revoker and Runed Halo work well maindeck and can be tutored for when you really need to stop a combo deck or when you need to O Ring an Ensnaring Bridge or Chalice or something.
    Last edited by Clark Kant; 05-05-2021 at 10:16 PM.

The video for the above deck is up...

https://youtu.be/AQ3BwELMIBI

Glad to have donated for what was an incredibly fun to watch stream.

People are sleeping on Hushbringer and Dreadnought. Hushbringer is incidental hate against so much of the format (goblins, death and taxes, veteran explorer, academy rector, stitcher's supplier, emry, urza, thought-knot seer, doomsday/thassa's oracle, Snapcaster Mage etc).

Just an fyi but the list has evolved significantly from the list above that I first sent Phil. Like I had mentioned to Phil, the Mardu (Vaka Nought) version of the deck with a light red splash for Kroxa replacing Eater of Days is the stronger iteration of the deck. Kroxa is a far stronger card, with excellent utility even outside the combo unlike Eater of Days.

I'm not a fan of Enlightened tutor unless it's for a combo deck such as Painter's Servant or Helm of Obedience. Tutoring for a card, only for the new card to get countered really sucks.

I'd rather play more Sevinne's Reclamation in that build or a Liliana, the Last Hope.

Grief. My goodness that's a good card. A free thoughtseize. And apparently, the pitch evoke creature is a cycle. If the white one is any good, that would be nuts.

I picked up a playset of Ephemerate just in case, lol. Even if the white evoke creature isn't any good, I'm still gonna try ephemerate (just not as many). I think Reanimate main is good in a Grief deck build. You can either reanimate the creature you pick from your opponent or you can reanimate Grief to take another card. And who knows, if Ephemerate becomes a 4 of, Shriekmaw could make it back for me. :)

4 Grief
    2 Ephemerate
    2 Reanimate
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Skyclave Apparition
    1 Plague Engineer
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of fire and ice
    2 Vindicate
    1 Cling to Dust
    1 Kaya's Guile
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Castle Lochtwain
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Wasteland

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If you end up including the white Evoke creature I don't think you can afford Chrome Mox anymore. That would be up to 10 cards in your deck that require an extra card for payment. It also depends on what the mana value of the white creature is due to the Dark Confidant interaction. Grief is already a 4-drop, a mana value you don't want too many of in a Bob deck. And you're playing Reanimate...the life loss is real with this one. We don't have the magical SDT to smooth all of this out.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Good call on Grief and Ephermite.

If the white evoke creature ends up being as powerful as Grief, I don't think there would be any room for black as Elite Spellbinder already serves a similar role.

D and T might evolve into something like this...

Blinkers
    4 Ephemerate
    4 Charming Prince
    4 Flickerwisp

Blinkees
    4 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Elite Spellbinder
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 White MH2 Evoke Dude
    1 Palace Jailer

Other
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Thalia
    2 MoM

4 Wasteland
    19 Lands

Shriekmaw and Grief as the only black cards that are synergistic with Ephermite isn't enough. White has way too many blinkees.

Something along those lines could be very effective.

It's would be a more powerful, more ETB focused Death and Taxes

The Ephemerate synergy seems fun, but I don’t think it’s good enough to build around. Grief seems best in Esper Vial to me. They already have all the blinking cards.

I’m calling it now. If they make a white one if will give protection and will have flash.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I started lay some legacy again and started with this list:
    https://scryfall.com/@Ganfar/decks/3...b-31e5980a533f

Opposition Agent with Dark Ritual seems great on paper but it's seems very low chance that, "I got you" moment.

I also feel the Dark Ritual is what DGA needs atm. It felt great to able to do 2 Rituals to Hyamn to Lilian of the veil.

Last Hope was great before and I would like to replace her with Kaya in main.

But I think the next plan when MH2 comes is deck that has:
    4 Ephemerate
    4 Grifes
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Stoneforge Deadguy Ale just got a huge upgrade...

Kaldra Compleat {7}

Legendary Artifact — Equipment

Living Weapon

Indestructible

Equipped creature gets +5/+5 and has first strike, trample, indestructible, haste, and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature, exile that creature."

Equip {7}

Pairing it with Thoughtseize turn 1 to protect Stoneforge is going to do some damage.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    Stoneforge Deadguy Ale just got a huge upgrade...

Kaldra Compleat {7}

Legendary Artifact — Equipment

Living Weapon

Indestructible

Equipped creature gets +5/+5 and has first strike, trample, indestructible, haste, and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature, exile that creature."

Equip {7}

Pairing it with Thoughtseize turn 1 to protect Stoneforge is going to do some damage.
    And the new unblockable 3/2 leyline that has upside of casting a free emrakul
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    ... that has upside of casting a free emrakul
    Completely missed that. It does cast Emmy and Grisel for free...

I'm probably late, but I just found out Solitude Kills Emrakul. Any suggestions on dealing with all the card disadvantage?

Sep 2011

Esper Sentinel seems good. It also happens to deal with the card disadvantage, and it's the kind of proactive turn 1 play that benefits from Unmasking them first.

Taxing the opponent could make it easier to get away with Ephemerate shenanigans too. Also imagine opponent shooting removal at Esper Sentinel and paying the tax, only to have you spend 1 mana on Ephemerate.

//Spells: 14
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Ephemerate
    1 Reanimate
    1 Cling to Dust
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Vindicate

//Creatures: 17
    4 Esper Sentinel
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Grief
    1 Solitude

//Artifacts: 3
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

//Planeswalkers: 4
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

//Lands: 22
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Prismatic Vista
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Plains
    2 Swamp
    1 Karakas

No idea if 2/2 or 3/1 split of Ephemerate + Reanimate is better. Both play similar roles in rebuying ETB abilities, insulating card engines from removal, and making permanent Grief.

There could be an argument to run Sword of Light and Shadow to gain back life, rebuy value creatures, and protect from removal. 2nd Sword makes it easier to buff Sentinel too.

Edit: Don't know if this has been covered already, but with Evoked Grief you choose the order of the triggers. Stack the discard one on top. That lets you see their hand and discard something before deciding what to do.
    e.g. T1 evoke Grief. Look at opponent's hand and discard their counter or removal. With sacrifice on the stack, after seeing the coast is clear, cast Ephemerate on Grief. Grief ETBs again discarding their best card. Also 3/2 Menace. Go.
    T2 if they didn't find an answer, rebound. Follow up with SFM, Bob, Hymn etc... typical DGA 2 mana plays. Should be far ahead by this point.

The other good Grief opener is with Esper Sentinel. Depending on the matchup you can either Evoke first to get rid of their answer for Sentinel, or you can play Sentinel first so you draw a card if they try to protect their hand from Grief (Force, Veil, etc).
    Last edited by FTW; 06-06-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Esper Sentinel seems good. It also happens to deal with the card disadvantage, and it's the kind of proactive turn 1 play that benefits from Unmasking them first.

Taxing the opponent could make it easier to get away with Ephemerate shenanigans too. Also imagine opponent shooting removal at Esper Sentinel and paying the tax, only to have you spend 1 mana on Ephemerate.

//Spells: 14
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Ephemerate
    1 Reanimate
    1 Cling to Dust
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Vindicate

//Creatures: 17
    4 Esper Sentinel
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Grief
    1 Solitude

//Artifacts: 3
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

//Planeswalkers: 4
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

//Lands: 22
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Prismatic Vista
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Plains
    2 Swamp
    1 Karakas

No idea if 2/2 or 3/1 split of Ephemerate + Reanimate is better. Both play similar roles in rebuying ETB abilities, insulating card engines from removal, and making permanent Grief.

There could be an argument to run Sword of Light and Shadow to gain back life, rebuy value creatures, and protect from removal. 2nd Sword makes it easier to buff Sentinel too.

Edit: Don't know if this has been covered already, but with Evoked Grief you choose the order of the triggers. Stack the discard one on top. That lets you see their hand and discard something before deciding what to do.
    e.g. T1 evoke Grief. Look at opponent's hand and discard their counter or removal. With sacrifice on the stack, after seeing the coast is clear, cast Ephemerate on Grief. Grief ETBs again discarding their best card. Also 3/2 Menace. Go.
    T2 if they didn't find an answer, rebound. Follow up with SFM, Bob, Hymn etc... typical DGA 2 mana plays. Should be far ahead by this point.

The other good Grief opener is with Esper Sentinel. Depending on the matchup you can either Evoke first to get rid of their answer for Sentinel, or you can play Sentinel first so you draw a card if they try to protect their hand from Grief (Force, Veil, etc).
    Nice.

Forgot about Esper Sentinel. Don't know that last time there were so many good cards available for Deadguy in a single set. Grief. Dauthi Voidwalker. Sudden Edict. Esper Sentinel. etc.

Tweaked my Deadguy list to incorporate Dauthi Voidwalker. Had to cut Hero of Bladehold to do it. Felt like betraying a friend, lol.

4 Bob
    4 Dauthi Voidwalker
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Plague Engineer
    1 Gurmag Angler

3 Thoughtseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, that Last Hope
    1 Helm of Obedience
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Vindicate
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Chrome Mox

4 Scrubland, 3 Swamp, 1 Plains, 7 fetches, 4 wasteland, 1 Karakas, 1 Castle Lochtwain

Voidwalker is nuts. So you can cast an Emrakul for free if it's one of the cards exiled with a counter on it. wow. So it's an evasion creature. With a Leyline of the Void on it so you can helm them.

Thought about Grief as well. But IMHO you have to dedicate more to make that work, adding Ephemerate and other creatures that flicker for fun times. Welcome back Shriekmaw? :)

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Nice.

Forgot about Esper Sentinel. Don't know that last time there were so many good cards available for Deadguy in a single set. Grief. Dauthi Voidwalker. Sudden Edict. Esper Sentinel. etc.

Tweaked my Deadguy list to incorporate Dauthi Voidwalker. Had to cut Hero of Bladehold to do it. Felt like betraying a friend, lol.

4 Bob
    4 Dauthi Voidwalker
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Plague Engineer
    1 Gurmag Angler

3 Thoughtseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, that Last Hope
    1 Helm of Obedience
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Vindicate
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Chrome Mox

4 Scrubland, 3 Swamp, 1 Plains, 7 fetches, 4 wasteland, 1 Karakas, 1 Castle Lochtwain

Voidwalker is nuts. So you can cast an Emrakul for free if it's one of the cards exiled with a counter on it. wow. So it's an evasion creature. With a Leyline of the Void on it so you can helm them.

Thought about Grief as well. But IMHO you have to dedicate more to make that work, adding Ephemerate and other creatures that flicker for fun times. Welcome back Shriekmaw? :)
    I think sentinel might also be worth a 4 of as when equipped it makes the tax much more likely to go through.

Like you said, too many good cards in one set
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

I'm trying to put together a decklist so I know what to trade for when MH2 comes out in paper. I have way to many questions. Someone really should put together an updated primer.

Thread Information