Page 289 of 319 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,780 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Apr 2017
    Texas

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

My friend gave me a Sanctum Prelate and I'm wondering what our best lines of play with her would be. I'm just aimlessly jamming her in for tests so far so any match-up/sideboard strats would be killer.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn
    Delver/Pyro // Turbo Fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Eyes View Post
    My friend gave me a Sanctum Prelate and I'm wondering what our best lines of play with her would be. I'm just aimlessly jamming her in for tests so far so any match-up/sideboard strats would be killer.
    Sure.

I use one Sanctum Prelate in board and I like it a lot. It goes in vs most combo decks and some fair decks

Lands. I name 2. Life from the Loam and Punishing Fire are the big ones here. I guess Chalice on 1 as well but that hasn't come up yet.
    Storm. Usually on 2. Burning Wish. Infernal Tutor. Pyroclasm. But I can see a case for 4 since that's Empty the Warrens and Tendrils of Agony but I have Gaddock Teeg to hopefully hit that.
    Sneak and Show. Usually on 4 to stop Sneak attack. I name 3 if I don't really have an answer to Show and tell and/or if they are on Omniscience.

Burn. Usually on 1. Sometimes I would name 2 if I have an equipment out to stop Smash to Smithereens.
    UR Delver. 1. Stops a bunch of cantrips and burn. Spell Pierce too.
    Food Chain. 3. To stop well.....Food Chain.
    Aluren. 4. To stop....fairly obvious I would hope.
    Reanimator. 1 or 2. Depends on game state and what is in my hand as it effects me too quite a bit.
    Big Red Sneak attack. 4. Sneak attack and Chandra are the big targets here.
    Tezzerator. Usually on 4 to stop Tez but Sometimes I name 2 to stop Thopter Foundry.
    Shardless Bug. 0. Ancestral Visions is the game breaker in the matchup, plus naming 0 only hurts Chrome Mox and if i resolve a Prelate that means I already have 3 mana out and likely won't need the later Chrome Mox anyway.

Apr 2017
    Texas

@Wilkin - Thanks for the Prelate cliff notes, seńor. Hoping there are some juicy targets at the weekly legacy night here.

Haven't played much Legacy at the shop since my decks were stolen so I'm going in blind. Would you put her in your 75 if you were A.) stepping into an unknown small/local-level meta and/or B.) if you weren't running green for Mr. Teeg?

I'm running straight black+white currently and I have been having a wicked hard time choosing my main 60 to jump back in with and I'm not 100% sure why. Never have been so back & forth... especially in my favorite colors. I think I need to pony up and jump the f*ck in!
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

@Wilkin - Thanks for the Prelate cliff notes, seńor. Hoping there are some juicy targets at the weekly legacy night here.

Haven't played much Legacy at the shop since my decks were stolen so I'm going in blind. Would you put her in your 75 if you were A.) stepping into an unknown small/local-level meta and/or B.) if you weren't running green for Mr. Teeg?

I'm running straight black+white currently and I have been having a wicked hard time choosing my main 60 to jump back in with and I'm not 100% sure why. Never have been so back & forth... especially in my favorite colors. I think I need to pony up and jump the f*ck in!
    I'd say so, she's a pretty good all purpose card. I think with counterbalance gone in the format it's pretty reasonably to not go green although I would still 100% play DRS. I'm pretty much only splashing green right now for an abrupt decay in the main, 2 teegs in the board and also DRS activations.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

My LGS has a Legacy tourny every other week. I have been able to win them at 4-0 the last two in a row with my Rhino version. The deck was able to beat a good mix of fair and unfair decks. I believe I beat (Jank) Dredge, Grixis Delver, Aluren, Eldrazi, ANT, Tin Fins, BUG Delver, and Burn. I feel that Tidehollow Sculler does a very good job against the unfair decks and I don't really mind not having Brutality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamhams View Post
    My LGS has a Legacy tourny every other week. I have been able to win them at 4-0 the last two in a row with my Rhino version. The deck was able to beat a good mix of fair and unfair decks. I believe I beat (Jank) Dredge, Grixis Delver, Aluren, Eldrazi, ANT, Tin Fins, BUG Delver, and Burn. I feel that Tidehollow Sculler does a very good job against the unfair decks and I don't really mind not having Brutality.
    Can u post ur lista, please?

Quote Originally Posted by fluuu View Post
    Can u post ur lista, please?
    Post #5715

Quote Originally Posted by Zauzich View Post
    Post #5715
    What they said.

What I have learned from the differences:

Rhino VS Souls - Not gonna lie, I just like rhino, but I do find I like him more vs the delver decks as they have less ways to deal with him than they do souls. Does a bit worse against combo, but Scullers make up for it I feel. Rhino also does not play as nice with brutality, but I don't run that card. Plus rhino leads to more concessions than souls does so I count it as a 4 drop that wins the game .

Sculler vs Brutality and/or hymn- I find Brutality is better vs DRS decks due to the multiple modes option, but I like having the body that comes with it. Sculler can just win me games vs combo while brutality seems to only annoy them. I find Sculler is also a better top deck in top deck wars since it sticks and can hold equipment on the field. I love me some hymn, but it is too clunky for me. I like to search basics and establish the board and hymn gives no clock.

20 lands and no mox- I am not a fan of mox as it needs to be in the opener and is such a poor top deck. Makes the deck weaker to turn 1 losses to combo, but I would rather not count on it, plus I don't run hymn. The low land count can hurt, especially with 3 4-drops, but the deck runs well enough if I can just get 2 lands that I can usually disrupt and hold them off long enough.

Main deck Thalia - I don't know about this one, I waffle between taking her out, but I don't know what for. I may be a victim of outcome bias since I keep her in due to her winning a game here and there. The game one protection against combo is also a nice security blanket though.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hamhams View Post
    20 lands and no mox- I am not a fan of mox as it needs to be in the opener and is such a poor top deck. Makes the deck weaker to turn 1 losses to combo, but I would rather not count on it, plus I don't run hymn. The low land count can hurt, especially with 3 4-drops, but the deck runs well enough if I can just get 2 lands that I can usually disrupt and hold them off long enough.
    20 lands seem like they're very low given that you're playing a slightly bigger list. Traditionally a chrome mox has been thought of like an additional mana source, so many lists will cut back on lands in favor of chrome moxes to offer you some explosive starts however still keeping the number of mana sources somewhere between 21-23. I don't think I would play any lower than 22-23 lands if I wasn't running chrome mox (if we use the logic of counting mana dorks as 1/3rd of an actual mana source).
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Yeah, I agree about that on Chrome Mox.

Sure, it's a bad top deck, but so is a land. If I wasn't playing 2 Chrome Mox, those Mox would be lands instead.

Going to be trying out 2 Humility in the board and a Liliana, the Last Hope in board as well. Bridge and Bontu's Last Reckoning coming out. Lol, with all the Baleful Strix and fair decks in my meta, having a Liliana tick up to kill a Strix instead of tick down is nice.

Plus it would be nice playing with New liliana as opposed to facing one. Faced one at last tournament I played at. Very annoying.

Another small unsanctioned tournament this weekend. Made a few modest changes from the last list [post #5716].

Main Deck
    Out: -2 Inquisition of Kosilek, -1 Bitterblossom, -1 Stoneforege Mystic, -1 Lingering Souls
    In: +1 Thoughtseize, +1 Liliana of the Veil, +1 Zealous Persecution, +1 Vindicate, +1 Swamp

Sideboard
    Out: -1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, -1 Oblivion Ring, -1 Diabolic Edict, -1 Crucible of Worlds
    In: +1 Containment Priest, +1 Enlightened Tutor, +1 Sword of Light and Shadow, +1 Engeneered Plague

20 Land
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    3 Swamp
    1 Bayou
    3 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire

11 Creatures
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

29 Spells
    2 Chrome Mox

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach

2 Collective Brutality
    4 Liliana of the Veil

3 Lingering Souls

4 Swords to Plowshears
    2 Vindicate
    1 Zealous Persicution

Sideboard
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Zealous Persicution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Engineered Plague

Meta from last time was Burn, UW Blade, 4c Blade, Elves, RUG Delver, Lands. There is a generous proxy allowance (for higher entry cost) so I expect some of the same people will try out different stuff. Dredge and Reanimator were mentioned.

The 2 Chrome Mox, 2 Collective Brutality, 0 Tidehollow Sculler experiment continues. The Mox were fine my first time playing them, with no blow out openings or terrible wish-this-was-a-land moments. Brutality I can tell still has learning curve ahead of me so I'll keep at it. I know I'll be back to Sculler eventually, maybe even over sacred Hymn to Tourach, but probably not while running Mox.

The cards I did change are driven largely by the last event [post#5728]. True Name Nemesis & Natural Order were the cards I most hoped opponents didn't draw. Shaving to 3 SFM is a first time thing, as well as Sword of Light and Shadow and Containment Priest in the sideboard.

Went 3-2. Event had 9 players, 5 rounds Swiss +1. Meta was Storm, Lands, UW Balde, Nic Fit, Martyr of Frost, Infect, OmniShow, Painter.

Changes from the previous list were mixed. After cutting the BB, a Lingering Souls, and a SFM from the main deck I definitely felt threat light. Chrome Mox didn't do anything spectacular again but I'm getting the hang of Collective Brutality.

R1 - Storm (0-2) [New Player]
    G1 L: On the draw I TS his Tutor and he goes off for 10 Goblins. DRS blocks while Therapy strips my triple Liliana. Bob joins but not in time. The last 4 goblins attack and DRS blocking and eating Bob is exactly lethal.
    G2 L: My keep on 6 is wrong. Land heavy, only TS and Vindicate(?!?) for disruption and no pressure. I may have even left some anti-graveyard stuff in the board. CB and Hymns prolong the game but I never present a clock or any hate and Past in Flames wins.

R2 - Martyr of Frost (2-0) [this was the player on Burn last time]
    G1&2: They seemed unpracticed with the deck and neither game felt particularly close. SoFaI and BSkull win.

R3 - UW Blade (2-0)
    G1 - This was the tightest game of the evening. They have TNN with 1 mana open and I'm holding SoFaI they know about from my dead SFM. I CB pitching Souls, see Pierce/Counterspell, and take the pierce so I can get spirits in play this turn to race. We trade some damage and I land a DRS while they hold up CS for Sword that I keep holding. The situation turns dire when Jitte equips to TNN and kills my shaman. I know their real fear is Liliana so I make a show of making sure I have 6 mana and cast sword. It resolves. Equip and swing tightens the race and get's the spirit out of Jitte range for a moment and on my next turn, with two extra cards, CB pitching land for Duress+Drain to shorten clock gets the counterspell and I resolve the Liliana drawn off SoFaI's trigger from the turn before.
    G2 - I Vindicate Volcanic Island on 3, leaving them Karakas and Plains, then soon after waste Karakas. They scoop showing hand full of TNNs and other blue.

R4 - Infect (2-0) [New Player]
    G1 - I'm able to keep board clear and constrain resources with Wasteland and STP on Noble Hierarch. Jitte with counters wins concession.
    G2 - They T1 Glistener and have Inkmoths and I'm terrified trying to play around them having it all, but the end never comes. I land Jitte again and they take 8 off Library plus brainstorm but it turns out they never drew any pump.

R5 - OmniShow [Player was on Elves last time]
    G1 - Disrupt them early but lack pressure and they cantrip into Show+Omni+Emrakul
    G2 - I have TS + Surgical that I use, perhaps in error, on the Emrakul in their opener. It's the only one in the deck and they have brought in 4 Pyromancers against my no-longer-in-the-deck removal. The elemental Tokens start flowing, they FoW CB to keep them going, and I don't produce anything good enough to not die when they start swarming in.

3-2 was good for 3rd/4th and my entry back. Storm got 1st, OmniShow 2nd.

Card Choice Stuff:
    I liked the 2nd Vindicate. Stone Rain and Sink Hole have always made me happy but I need to be _way_ more aggressive siding them out.

I will set aside the Chrome Mox for now. With the short, infrequent events I'm playing in, I think I just don't draw enough opening hands for me to expect it will shows up and blow out a match-up that matters. -2 Chrome Mox /+1 Verdant Catacombs, +1 Bayou

Going back to 5 one mana Discard. -1 Liliana of the Veil, -1 Thoughseize /+2 Inquisition of Kozilek. I like the flexibility of 3/2 split when boarding. 4 Lili was not clunky or floody in particular but only 4DRS for acceleration now so T2 Plainswalker is not as much.

With Mox out, Tidehollow Sculler is in. Hymn to Tourach has been untouchable forever, and I agonized to even shave to three. Band-aid Method. -4 Hymn to Tourach /+3 Tidehollow Sculler +1 Stoneforge Mystic.

Main Deck ZP was likely an over-hedge from the previous outing. -1 Zealous Persecution /+1 Lingering Souls

Sideboard:
    - 1 Toxic Deluge, -1 Sword of light and Shadow, -1 Containment Priest /+1 Zealous Persecution, +2 Spirit of the Labyrinth

Finally got to try out Liliana, the Last Hope. It's super awesome. It was vs Merfolk and I killed at least 3 Silvergill Adepts and a Cursecatcher. I ulitmated with Lilly and that was game.

Can't wait for New Planeswalker rule to come into effect. Would have been nice that day As I had a Liliana the Last hope already in play and Veil in hand vs Eldrazi. I could have killed an Endless One and a Mimic in one turn. I had to settle for using Shriekmaw on the Endless One.

Apr 2017
    Texas

Last Hope is one of my favorite planeswalkers. I have been using her since she released and I can't be more pleased. Always puts in work, always lookin' purdy!

The new planeswalker rule will be quite awesome, more than stoked for that. I think our archetype will get a huge boost, maybe even more than other decks. We also benefit with our Gideon Trials & Ally. Seems like some interesting avenues to explore here.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Finally got to try out Liliana, the Last Hope. It's super awesome. It was vs Merfolk and I killed at least 3 Silvergill Adepts and a Cursecatcher. I ulitmated with Lilly and that was game.

Can't wait for New Planeswalker rule to come into effect. Would have been nice that day As I had a Liliana the Last hope already in play and Veil in hand vs Eldrazi. I could have killed an Endless One and a Mimic in one turn. I had to settle for using Shriekmaw on the Endless One.
    I am really hype with the new Planeswalker Rule. Last Hope become so much better
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Gonna start playing this deck again. Long break from legacy. Prefer Cabal Therapy instead of Hymn tho.

My currently list

4 deathrite shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 stoneforge mystic

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Swords of Plowshares
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Lingering Souls
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Bayou
    4 Scrublans
    4 Marshflats
    4 Bloodstained Mires
    1 Karakas
    4 Wastelands

Sideboard
    1 Disfigure
    1 Diabolic Edict
    2 Enlightened tutor
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Choke
    1 Chain of Mephistopheles
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Stony Silence
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Etherstown Canonist
    1 Oblivion Ring

WIth the new planeswalker rules Gideon of the trails with Heart of Kiran looks very interesting.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I've been playing a lot of blue decks lately and wanted to try out DGA to play something other than Brainstorms. (I was primarily a D&T and Maverick player until my metal became saturated with combo).

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Vindicate
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    2 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Collective Brutality
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Vindicate
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Humility

1-2 Loss - 12 Post
    Not much to say. Got run over first game with fast Ulamog, crushed him second game with Humility + Batterskull, lost third game after plowing the first two Ulamogs and wasting his Eye of Ugin but he dropped another Eye and tutored Ulamog #3 (out of 4!).

2-1 - BR Reanimator
    G1 I went Swamp -> DRS, he managed to get a T1 Griselbrand. As my hand left me no way of fighting it for likely a few turns I scooped to withhold information.
    G2 He Thoughtseized away my DRS on T1 instead of my Containment Priest because I had no white mana, but I drew a Scrubland the next turn and played draw-go for a while so that I could flash in Containment Priest in response to a spell rather than leaving it as a sitting duck for Collective Brutality. Drew a second Priest, flashed in the first. A few turns later the first Priest eats a Bruality, opponent tries to go off, I flash in second Priest, and it's game.
    G3 Drew all my Surgicals and Faeries and opponent couldn't do anything except hardcast a Sire of Insanity which ate a Plow before end step.

2-1 Grixis Delver
    G1 Knowing what he was on I went Fetch -> Swamp -> DRS. He went USea -> DRS. I Wasteland his Sea, Plow his DRS with the white mana, and he doesn't see a land after that.
    G2 I kept an iffy hand, whereas he had a great start doing the Grixis thing and I couldn't keep up.
    G3 We trade resources for a while, with me being slightly ahead and chipping away at his life total. I think a Bob gets me ahead in the card drawing game. I get him down to 4 life and he drops a True-Name Nemesis that I was not expecting. My next turn I topdeck a Lingering Souls with six mana on the field. I cast both sides, he scoops.

1-1-1 RG Lands
    G1 Punishing Fire wrecks me
    G2 T1 Thoughtseize his Loam, Surgical it. Play a grindy game until I'm able to Plow Marit Lage and Surgical his Dark Depths. He eventually scoops.
    G3 Opponent and I make it to turns after I kept him off his combo a while and manage to get SoFI and Jitte on some Spirit tokens before he can get Punishing Fire going, which keeps my spirits alive for quite a while. Start chipping away 4 damage at a time after I Wasteland his Maze of Ith. Ended in turns with him at 4 life and dead next turn, but he refused to scoop because he wanted to end the day with 10 points.

Overall I was very pleased with this deck, and I can definitely see myself putting this in my rotation going forward.

Apr 2017
    Texas

What's up docs?!

Been goofing off with a very stripped back list lately while my friends have been tuning their blue decks. The reads like a list of reasons to play black & white.

Seemed like a decent skeleton to tune from and I was curious what other wizards from the school would cut/add to the main 60. No goal in mind, just an experiments of sorts.
    =============================
    "Square Guy Ale"
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tidehollow Sculler

2 Chrome Mox
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Lingering Souls

2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Gideon of the Trials

4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Swamp
    2 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    1 Karakas
    2 Wasteland
    ==================================

My second question was whether or not a Savannah could work for a placeholder for a Bayou. Still recovering from a car break-in... cut me some slack!

I also have access to Badlands and Plateaus...
    Since BWR has been one of my favorite trios I wanted to ask the gang what would a "Redguy Ale" deck look like to you?

Splashing w/ a single Badlands for example:
    2x Kolaghan's Command would be one of my first stops.
    1-2x Lavamancers but that's probably because blind emotional bias
    1x Blood Moon in SB because Enlightened Tutor is chillin'
    Magus of the Moon?

I've learned to have some fun experimenting with "bad choices" while I'm re-collecting my stuff! It's nice having an excuse to dick abouts but that Bayou will be coming back soon enough.

Holler mi amigos!
    Peace
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn

Redguy ale
    I used to play a deck like that (i called it mardudes) . Ran stoneforge, young pyromancer, k-command, bolt, plow, souls, therapy, thoughtseize, lavamancer, bob... Lots of fun stuff (including 2 prophetic flamespeaker which are amazing with jitte/sofi) .

It actually wasn't bad, and being able to make cavern on humans was huge in the counter top days. Not as good as classic deadguy vs combo, but could close out games faster. Worth toying with if you're looking for a fun deck that plays well vs fair things although think pure bw is better overall vs the powerhouse decks in the format right now

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    I used to play a deck like that (i called it mardudes) . Ran stoneforge, young pyromancer, k-command, bolt, plow, souls, therapy, thoughtseize, lavamancer, bob... Lots of fun stuff (including 2 prophetic flamespeaker which are amazing with jitte/sofi) .

It actually wasn't bad, and being able to make cavern on humans was huge in the counter top days. Not as good as classic deadguy vs combo, but could close out games faster. Worth toying with if you're looking for a fun deck that plays well vs fair things although think pure bw is better overall vs the powerhouse decks in the format right now
    If I was running Dega right now, I'd hit up:

4 DRS
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 SFM
    2 Grim Lavamancer

3 STP
    3 Bolt
    1 Kolaghan's Command

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach

3 Lingering Souls