View Poll Results: How would you feel if Wizards abolished the Reserved List?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positively, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

179 77.49%
  • Negatively, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

14 6.06%
  • Positively, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

9 3.90%
  • Negatively, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

15 6.49%
  • Indifferent, and suspect my opinion is the majority.

5 2.16%
  • Indifferent, and suspect my opinion is the minority.

9 3.90%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Reserved List

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Poll: Reserved List

With all the discussion to whether or not people would be happy or hurt over changes to the Reserved List, I wondered what the actual bulk of opinions here are. I have my hunches but I'll keep quiet until after some results.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jul 2010
    Madison, WI

Re: Poll: Reserved List

This poll is not representative of how the magic-playing community would react. There's pretty heavy selection bias going on.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It doesn't matter if there was a 90% majority or even higher. A class action suite against wizards would be a big problem for them. They're never getting rid of the reserved list. 100 people are all it's going to take to stop it from happening.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Ayotte
    True, the poll is only representative of those participating.

In debates over the Reserved List, the point is always made that Chronicles upset enough players to bring about the thing in the first place, and thus, any changes or abandonment to the policy would equally upset and equal number of players. While by no means closure, I thought it to be interesting to have numbers generated by the very people I was talking to as reference.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
    This poll is not representative of how the magic-playing community would react. There's pretty heavy selection bias going on.
    The majority of the magic playing community are kitchen table/casual players. I doubt they would care about the reserved list or even know what it is.

Of the people that would be impacted by reserved list reprints, I think this poll would show it. I don't know how large the commander population is on the source, but I doubt they would bitch about the chance to get more reserved list staples.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

It will upset old collectors and players. Players that don't really buy packs. The same players Time Spiral block was made for but didn't support it (which made the block one of the biggest flops sales-wise).

So why should WotC appease to them?

I personally think WotC has fixed this problem: make cards that will cost a lot in recent sets. Look Jace, Fetchlands and other standard money cards.

This guarantees that the if you support their business; once in a while you get a pat in the back. I know a guy that drafts all the time. Back in Innistrad/Dark Ascension season, he opened enough Lilliana from draft that he had enough "money" to build the rest of his Modern (and now going to be Legacy) Jund.

That said, I still do not like the Reserved List.

I think the point I'm trying to get through is that eternal players like to complain but if WotC listens to them, they don't really support them.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Agree with the problem of selection bias. You're asking players, who are more likely to want to play.

Can we just get something like this stickied so people can be thrown to it every time a thread turns into complaining about the reserved list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    It will upset old collectors and players. Players that don't really buy packs. The same players Time Spiral block was made for but didn't support it (which made the block one of the biggest flops sales-wise).

So why should WotC appease to them?

I personally think WotC has fixed this problem: make cards that will cost a lot in recent sets. Look Jace, Fetchlands and other standard money cards.

This guarantees that the if you support their business; once in a while you get a pat in the back. I know a guy that drafts all the time. Back in Innistrad/Dark Ascension season, he opened enough Lilliana from draft that he had enough "money" to build the rest of his Modern (and now going to be Legacy) Jund.

That said, I still do not like the Reserved List.

I think the point I'm trying to get through is that eternal players like to complain but if WotC listens to them, they don't really support them.
    I hope people realize that the fact that standard money rares are as expensive as they are, is also the reason why eternal cards are as expensive as they are. A Snapcaster Mage or Liliana of the Veil should never cost more than The Abyss or Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, so if cards like liliana of the veil become 100$ cards, guess what happens to out of print eternal staples? Sure as hell not going to trade them away for less than a standard mythic rare.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I hope people realize that the fact that standard money rares are as expensive as they are, is also the reason why eternal cards are as expensive as they are. A Snapcaster Mage or Liliana of the Veil should never cost more than The Abyss or Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, so if cards like liliana of the veil become 100$ cards, guess what happens to out of print eternal staples? Sure as hell not going to trade them away for less than a standard mythic rare.
    FINALLY some comon sense, damn it was about time.

i thought i was the only one thinking the same.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

24 hours out and at least you have to give credit that the majority of respondents are aware of how their own views reflect those around them.
    Apologies towards the indifferent, I probably should have just given you a sing choice, since I'm sure you are equally indifferent to how your opinion falls.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    It doesn't matter if there was a 90% majority or even higher. A class action suite against wizards would be a big problem for them. They're never getting rid of the reserved list. 100 people are all it's going to take to stop it from happening.
    I hear this a lot and it sounds silly every time.
    Hill Giant means business.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

That's because it is silly.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    That's because it is silly.
    +1

A legal issue against WotC in case they "break the promise given concerning the Reserved List" has no chance. I have trust in the US law regarding such stupidity
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Abolishing the reserved list would cause collectors and older players to lose a huge amount of the value of their collection. All of that value would be transferred to Wizards, since they would be the ones who could make the reprints and cash in. New players would be excited to buy the previously reserved cards and also gain a lot of value by purchasing the reprint products that Wizards makes.

It sounds like a typical redistribution of wealth. Take from the players who have already invested thousands of dollars and give it to the new players. Of course, the new players aren't actually receiving valuable tangible goods. The value that they receive is the ability it play with these cards for much cheaper than normal. All the while, Wizards stands to make huge profits as long as the majority of players happen to be on the receiving end of the redistribution.

How come people don't just play with proxies? People already do proxied vintage tournaments. If legacy is really as popular as people say it is, and if the cards really are prohibitively expensive, then why not hold proxy tournaments? Go to your local game store and ask them to hold proxy legacy tournaments. They wouldn't make any more money by running normal legacy tournaments anyway since people aren't buying the cards from them.

I would rather see it modified with small, annual reprints the increase the amount of cards.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    +1

A legal issue against WotC in case they "break the promise given concerning the Reserved List" has no chance. I have trust in the US law regarding such stupidity
    Apple patented "round corners" and won the lawsuit. I think everything is possible.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I dont think we need Dual Lands to be tanked to 10 bucks, but I do think prices should come down a bit. Like has been said, it needs to be prohibitive enough that not everyone can just derp around in legacy. It's barriers of entry should block out the players who arent ready and willing to an extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I dont think we need Dual Lands to be tanked to 10 bucks, but I do think prices should come down a bit. Like has been said, it needs to be prohibitive enough that not everyone can just derp around in legacy. It's barriers of entry should block out the players who arent ready and willing to an extent.
    Why? They would add more money to the prize pool without ever winning anything.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Why? They would add more money to the prize pool without ever winning anything.
    I like playing against people that understand how the game works. One reason I really hate playing at prereleases is the people who are playing for their first time dont understand how the game worls...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I like playing against people that understand how the game works. One reason I really hate playing at prereleases is the people who are playing for their first time dont understand how the game worls...
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=pot%20monster
    Hill Giant means business.

Thread Information