Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Re: Omniclash and Omnimaniac

Apple, cunning wish is also a Wincon in this deck.
    This deck has more consistency since cunning wish can do also other stuff - not only win and has awesome. The mana is much better and you play more cantrips. The win is less conditional and without passing the turn which adds to consistency as well. You can influence your faith more with this deck compared to sneak. With sneak you have more raw power (a bit faster) and if you have a good run and make optimal decisions you can top8 any given day, but sneak has a tradeoff for that power with a lower consistency. You can find very good comparisons of this deck with sneak throughout this thread.
    Currently playing: Elves

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by OrGy View Post
    As seen above, even a lone U.sea can become a nuisance when it comes to ramping to 5 mana dodging Wastelands.
    I don't feel the net gain of 4 of all-around disruption SB + LDV MD is a incentive strong enough to open yourself even slightly to land disruption.
    My teamate Nicolas encountered plenty of situations during the BOM when a grip containing U.Sea instead of a basic Island would have been a clear mulligan.
    Where to begin? Looking at the DTB section, only about half of the format even runs Wasteland. Given the speed of our deck, they're only about 60-70% likely to even have one in any given game. Even if they do, there's a good chance we only need three mana to win with Show and Tell. [(2 nCr 1)(17 nCr 2)(41 nCr 7)/(60 nCr 10) + (2 nCr 2)(17 nCr 1)(41 nCr 7)/(60 nCr 10)] ~= 8.6% (the rough odds we open ourselves to Wasteland on the Show and Tell plan). If we don't have Show and Tell, we might be able to get to five mana without exposing ourselves. [(2 nCr 1)(17 nCr 4)(41 nCr 7)/(60 nCr 12) + (2 nCr 2)(17 nCr 3)(41 nCr 7)/(60 nCr 12)] ~= 8.8% of the time (the rough odds we open ourselves to Wasteland on the Dream Halls plan). These numbers are a little rough, but they're close to reality.

.5 * .65 * .086 = .02795. In any given game, we have roughly a 2.795% chance of being disrupted by Wasteland if we're on the Show and Tell plan. Assuming we lose 100% of those games this is pretty small.

.5 * .65 * .088 = .0286. In any given game, we have roughly a 2.86% chance of being disrupted by Wasteland if we're on the Dream Halls plan. Assuming we lose 100% of those games this is pretty small.

Let's look at mulligans. You said that if your only land is Underground Sea, the hand is an automatic mulligan, whereas if it's an Island it's a keep. (2 nCr 1)(17 nCr 0)(41 nCr 6)/(60 nCr 7) = 2.3% of seven card hands will have Underground Sea as its only land. A lot of these hands would be mulligans even with the Island because they wouldn't have cantrips. Let's say you need two cantrips to make a single Island hand a keeper. How many extra mulligans will you take assuming Underground Sea + two cantrips is a mulligan? (2 nCr 1)(17 nCr 0)(11 nCr 2)(30 nCr 4)/(60 nCr 7) = .78% of seven card hands. The actual number is slightly higher because I didn't look at three, four , or more cantrip hands, but the point stands. But I argue that Underground Sea plus two cantrips is a fine hand to keep game one against an unknown opponent because we have roughly a 3% chance of getting our only land Wastelanded and that doesn't even account for us topdecking land anyway.

tl;dr: Math clearly shows that getting Wastelanded out of the game from running two Underground Seas is very unlikely.

You still don't think it's worth running a card that effectively lets you stack your deck because you might get Wastelanded and you might lose because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    The problem is that there are a few aggressive decks against which you can't afford that amount of lifeloss, especially when you play Ancient Tomb at the same time.
    Unless the aggro deck has you down to like four life or less, it doesn't matter because you're going to win the turn after you cast Lim-Dul's Vault. It's not like some cantrip that you run our there early, spending a ton of life on it only to not be able to win the game for a couple of turns. Even if you can't afford a single point of life payment, you're looking at five cards which is more than any cantrip.

Nevertheless there is a statistical chance that you will eventually draw them and have to play them. And at that point they will be hit instantly by Wasteland (because the opp finally has a target for his Wasteland he has been sitting on). This also makes mulligan decisions tougher when you draw your initial 7 and U-Sea being your only land. If your 1st Turn cantrips misses a land, you die instantly to Wasteland. However, with a basic Island, I'd still keep it and keep digging for lands and don't have to worry about Wasteland.
    As I demonstrated above, this isn't very likely. After looking at the numbers, do you still think it's not worth running a card you've admitted is powerful?

LDV is a powerful card, but at the same time it's clunky and thus I don't find it to be splash-worthy.
    Okay, I'm tired of seeing Lim-Dul's Vault dismissed with vague adjectives like "clunky." I want you to tell me exactly what is "clunky" about Lim-Dul's Vault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

This is by far the best deck in the format. I haven't seen consistency and resiliency from a combo deck like this since Pre-Mystical Tutor Banning Reanimator or even further back, Flash combo.

I love how people like "catmint" are blindly fighting months of playtesting that Lejay has done all because his pet deck that he invested money into (Thresh) has a bad matchup with OmniClash and he's in denial about it.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Lim-dul's Vault in 2 card combo decks (or even 3) is very good at what it does. I recommend it to any deck that needs specific components in order to win.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Currently I've been testing Lejay's list -1 Leyline of Sanctity, -1 Pact of Negation, -1 Gitaxian Probe, -3 Island, +1 LDV, +2 Flusterstorm +1 Swamp, +1 Underground Sea, +1 Fetch, with 3 Thoughtseize in the board and it's been excellent so far.

Flusterstorm is just an amazing card. As good as Pact of Negation is, Flusterstorm is so much better against the discard and combo that make up so much of the meta right now. Thoughtseize is great against the random hate cards people have as well as being valid disruption against control and combo. I've won the matches I've played against discard decks so far, but of course I haven't tested nearly as much or as long as other pilots advocating Leyline have, so time will tell.

Maybe I just hate the feeling of being a dog to fast combo.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

I've been playing this deck for 3 - 4 months now, including doing badly at the latest BoM. But here are a few thoughts...

Release the Ants vs Research/Maniac
    The choice of kill card/s doesn't have to be linked to playing Emrakul or not. As Lejay said, you can clash with EtI. I've been playing Research/Maniac but RtA seems better as sideboard space is tight. Of course, playing RtA without Emrakul as back-up means you can't kill if they have Emrakul so maybe it's not the best idea.

Firemind's Foresight
    The discussion here seems mainly focussed on fixing the weak interaction between Cunning Wish and Dream Halls. While that's probably the main argument I've been playing FF for a while and really like the ability to Trickbind a CIB effect and find a kill card with just 1 CW. (CW -> FF -> CW + Impulse + Brainstorm, then CW -> Trickbind and use Impulse + Brainstorm to find another kill card which nearly always works).
    Also, if you play 1 Intuition main due to FF I think the sideboard intuition is less valuable. As CW can get the maindeck Intuition via FF anyway.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

I played a small Legacy tournament (12 ppl) today and finished 2nd due to tiebreakers.

MUs:

Enchantress 2-0
    Imperial Painter 2-0
    MonoB Pox 2-0 (REVENGE for Hassloch's 1-2)
    Death & Taxes I.D.

3-0-1

I played with the DnT guy for fun and I must say, I don't think it's a good matchup. Okay, a 1st Turn Vial, 2nd Thalia with Port and then from turn 4 on active Mangara lock exiling my lands. I was pretty surprised, Chris (Nemavera) gave me an overview on the deck and said DnT was pretty easy because they had no pressure (which is true, these hatebears are annoying but not good at racing). But Thalia + Canonist is very bad (and Mangara lock in addition to that... EWWW).

Can someone walk me through that MU? I don't know if I simply messed up the MU by keeping wierd hands, not letting him play first or whatsoever, but my impression on that MU was not good.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Frédéric also thought it would be a difficult match-up at the beginning, however on the back of 60+ games I can tell you it's positive overall. Of course it depends on the overall hate ran. I tested mostly against the GP Strasbourg winning list with the changes he told he would do, but if they start targeting us it will easily become a negative one.
    Let them start when you have the choice whether it is pre or post sb. Tend a bit more to keep lands on cantrips and starting hands with 3+ lands. Emrakul is a good card to draw like against any Thalia deck. Check in the opening post if you had the optimal sideboarding. Force the vial if the pitch isn't an issue, that will hinder their development pretty well and with vial out fow has almost no other use than being pitched to dream halls or reshuffled. If they kept a weak 7 cards hand expect oblivion ring.
    When Nemavera asked me if there was a match-up he should practice before the BoM I said it should probably be Death and Taxes as it plays a bit differently than other match-ups (maverick too , but D&T was more expected and is even more particular because of port and mangara) and experience really makes a difference. So test it out until you feel confident.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    This is by far the best deck in the format. I haven't seen consistency and resiliency from a combo deck like this since Pre-Mystical Tutor Banning Reanimator or even further back, Flash combo.

I love how people like "catmint" are blindly fighting months of playtesting that Lejay has done all because his pet deck that he invested money into (Thresh) has a bad matchup with OmniClash and he's in denial about it.
    Some people believe in Jesus. Some seem to believe in Lejay and the new best deck in the format. BY FAR!!

For the record: Elves is my pet deck, I own many different blue and non blue legacy decks (including this deck) and I would enjoy a lot if Canadian keeps taking hits. My evaluation is not based on card availability. I am simply arguing that this "by far best deck taking over the format" is not true. So far neither lejay, nor some of his brainless groupies provided a reasonable argument to support their belives.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

First of all, and for the 4th time maybe, no one said the deck will take over the format. I think it is objectively the best deck in the format, and as I said in the community section thread I think a metagame adapting heavily to it will become an unhealthy metagame. Because the bad match-ups of the deck are all vulnerable to grave hate or to the same hate targeting it, and because of the fact that there are limited options to hating it and they are for the most part countered with cunning wish.
    In addition to all the testing I did, I think the deck had corroborating results with my first paragraph in the large events in Europe compared to the amount of players piloting it. Also people playtesting it are giving good feedback either here, chatting with me on MTGO/Legacy-France, or MPing me on FB. If you don't want to consider these facts "reasonable arguments" I have no problem at all with that, but don't say yours are more reasonable.
    I think at one point you said "time will tell". Very well. Don't bring this fight again without testing because someone brought up some ad hominem arguments against you and you took it personnally. Also if you want some proof of this deck bound to takeover the format you can take a look here.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

May 2011
    Dalian, China

I played a small Legacy tournament (12 ppl) today and finished 2nd due to tiebreakers.

MUs:

Enchantress 2-0
    Imperial Painter 2-0
    MonoB Pox 2-0 (REVENGE for Hassloch's 1-2)
    Death & Taxes I.D.

3-0-1

I played with the DnT guy for fun and I must say, I don't think it's a good matchup. Okay, a 1st Turn Vial, 2nd Thalia with Port and then from turn 4 on active Mangara lock exiling my lands. I was pretty surprised, Chris (Nemavera) gave me an overview on the deck and said DnT was pretty easy because they had no pressure (which is true, these hatebears are annoying but not good at racing). But Thalia + Canonist is very bad (and Mangara lock in addition to that... EWWW).

Can someone walk me through that MU? I don't know if I simply messed up the MU by keeping wierd hands, not letting him play first or whatsoever, but my impression on that MU was not good.
    You really just need hands that don't rely entirely upon cantripping into something relevant. I typically play Sneak which runs less of them overall but the approach is similar. Keep hands that do things. Your opponent cast their Thalia instead of vialing it in, if you kept a hand without disruption and without early action, you must have kept one that relied on cantripping into all of your business which is the wrong approach.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You really just need hands that don't rely entirely upon cantripping into something relevant. I typically play Sneak which runs less of them overall but the approach is similar. Keep hands that do things. Your opponent cast their Thalia instead of vialing it in, if you kept a hand without disruption and without early action, you must have kept one that relied on cantripping into all of your business which is the wrong approach.
    That's what I did, yes. However, my opponent had EVERYTHING, 1st Turn Vial, 2nd Turn Port to lock away a land, 3rd Turn Thalia, 4th Turn Karakas + Mangara. Post-board was exactly the same (just throw a Ethersworn Canonist to the mix).

I kept opening hands that were heavy on cantrips because I thought it was vital to fix your manabase in the first place.
    Furthermore it was absolutely necessary to drop an Ancient Tomb at some point against Thalia so I could pull off SnT on the turn afterwards (would have been a guaranteed win), but I got hit by Wasteland which meant gg.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    So far neither lejay, nor some of his brainless groupies provided a reasonable argument to support their belives.
    Who are these brainless groupies? Could you name names?

Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    First of all, and for the 4th time maybe, no one said the deck will take over the format. I think it is objectively the best deck in the format, and as I said in the community section thread I think a metagame adapting heavily to it will become an unhealthy metagame. Because the bad match-ups of the deck are all vulnerable to grave hate or to the same hate targeting it, and because of the fact that there are limited options to hating it and they are for the most part countered with cunning wish.
    In addition to all the testing I did, I think the deck had corroborating results with my first paragraph in the large events in Europe compared to the amount of players piloting it. Also people playtesting it are giving good feedback either here, chatting with me on MTGO/Legacy-France, or MPing me on FB. If you don't want to consider these facts "reasonable arguments" I have no problem at all with that, but don't say yours are more reasonable.
    I think at one point you said "time will tell". Very well. Don't bring this fight again without testing because someone brought up some ad hominem arguments against you and you took it personnally. Also if you want some proof of this deck bound to takeover the format you can take a look here.
    Thanks for the clarification. What you describe as "creating a bad metagame" is what I meant with "taking over the format", so this is just where we have different opinions on how the decks uprising will influence the metagame. I have no problem coming back to this thread one day admitting I was wrong...

With all the disagreeing about some statements, I want to express my respect of making this deck that strong. When I built and tested enter the infinite once it was spoiled I could not come up with something good enough so quickly discarded it. Nice to see it works and in my opinion makes legacy more versatile - so I think that this deck exists is a good thing and not a "broken" thing. Again, I have no doubts that the deck is strong and that it was built and tested by a couple of people and showed good results catching others by surprise speaks for itself. No need to convince me there. Besides the fun of having an argument I am also in this thread because I seriously consider playing it. My future posts will include more questions and suggestions concerning the actual deck, so I hope you'll keep responding with quality content as you did so far.

Also kudos for the pic and "ad hominem". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

I've had 5 opponents ragequit after losing game 1 in the span of 2 hours on Cockatrice. Things like this make me wish I had MODO.

Continuing testing with the black splash. So far the 1 dual hasn't been a problem and the extra non-U source (Swamp) hasn't either. I've been able to bring Thoughtseize in a lot more matchups than Leyline and I like that I'm better at disrupting combo.

The deck feels very very consistent. It's been a while since I've played with a stable manabase, feels pretty nice.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    I've had 5 opponents ragequit after losing game 1 in the span of 2 hours on Cockatrice. Things like this make me wish I had MODO.

Continuing testing with the black splash. So far the 1 dual hasn't been a problem and the extra non-U source (Swamp) hasn't either. I've been able to bring Thoughtseize in a lot more matchups than Leyline and I like that I'm better at disrupting combo.

The deck feels very very consistent. It's been a while since I've played with a stable manabase, feels pretty nice.
    deck is very consistent.

played in two daily events with the deck.
    3-1, losing to some reanimator deck playing dark ritual in the finals. (mono black)
    3-1, losing to landless dredge round 2. (needed to draw any blue card to win during game 3)

first day beat jund, urg cascade, bug
    2nd day beat mirror, counter top, counter top
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    deck is very consistent.

played in two daily events with the deck.
    3-1, losing to some reanimator deck playing dark ritual in the finals. (mono black)
    3-1, losing to landless dredge round 2. (needed to draw any blue card to win during game 3)

first day beat jund, urg cascade, bug
    2nd day beat mirror, counter top, counter top
    This deck is like pre-patch Tekken 5.0 Nina, amiright, Rob?

I feel like Show and Tell is u/f+1.

May 2011
    Dalian, China

That's what I did, yes. However, my opponent had EVERYTHING, 1st Turn Vial, 2nd Turn Port to lock away a land, 3rd Turn Thalia, 4th Turn Karakas + Mangara. Post-board was exactly the same (just throw a Ethersworn Canonist to the mix).

I kept opening hands that were heavy on cantrips because I thought it was vital to fix your manabase in the first place.
    Furthermore it was absolutely necessary to drop an Ancient Tomb at some point against Thalia so I could pull off SnT on the turn afterwards (would have been a guaranteed win), but I got hit by Wasteland which meant gg.
    This sort of thing happens in Magic. For every time a DNT player has the perfect series of draws to beat the SNT player, ten SNT players have god hands that make DNT players want to quit life on the spot. Just remember, nut draws apply to fair decks too.

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Mini report. Went to a tournament this past Saturday. Had around 38 people, so six rounds. Played Lejay's exact 75 as I wasn't too sure what to change and it was my first time piloting the deck. I went 4-2 and came in 10th due to bad breakers. Here's what I beat and lost to:

Round 1: Canadian Thresh (0-2)
    Round 2: Omniclash (2-1)
    Round 3: Shardless BUG (2-0)
    Round 4: Omnimaniac (2-1)
    Round 5: ANT (1-2)
    Round 6: Deadguy (2-0)

The loss to Canadian Thresh felt pretty awful. Game 1, he had a mongoose with only two cards in the graveyard and around six cards in hand and I didn't have any dig spells but I had Dream Halls, Enter the Infinite and some blue cards so I decided to force it even though there was no need to as his hand was probably all counterspells and it was. After that, I just scooped as I had very little cards left in hand and he played several threats a few turns later. Game 2 was another awful game where I actually resolved a turn two Defense Grid and he only played two lands all game. I went through 3 Preordains, 2 Ponders, 2 Brainstorms and still couldn't find a Show
    and Tell or a Dream Halls to win the game. That was pretty frustrating.

I had no idea what to expect from the mirror and as a result, my round two match felt very awkward. I learned to not use the Release the Ants win against the mirror as clash allows the opponent to put the clash card on the bottom to get a new card to clash the next time. Because of this, later on, I chose to win off Emrakul in the mirror match.

In game two of my round 4 match, I was on the draw and had to mulligan and I kept a hand with no counterspells and no draw spells but I could turn two Show and Tell into either an Emrakul or a Dream Halls and I had an Enter the Infinite in my hand. I was hoping to draw into another blue card to make my decision easier but on my turn two, I still hadn't drawn a blue spell yet. My opponent didn't do anything on his turn either so all he had was two islands untapped. I ended up deciding that I wanted to try to Show and Tell and put in the Emrakul to try to win next turn and my Show and Tell actually resolved and he ended up not putting anything in play. My opponent really disagreed with my play but my thought was that if I'm going to try to win, I can't just Show and Tell in the Dream Halls and then pass the turn, letting him play whatever for free next turn. I also felt like I couldn't just pass the turn either as he could Show and Tell in something on his turn and then I have no counters to stop it. I guess it worked out this time but I'm not sure if it was the right play or not.

The Deadguy and BUG match wasn't really interesting as I was able to land leyline in both game two and I even got to put my leyline in play on game one against my Deadguy opponent which he really wasn't too pleased about.

I'm not really sure what to think about this deck. I felt like I had really subpar draws as I kept on getting opening hands where I have to combo but no dig or I just have all dig and nothing. Or I'd get hands where all I have are Pacts for counter spells and I'm not able to use them against the combo matchups. I also feel like this is a deck where I would really want something like a Clique so I can interact with my opponent before I combo off. I realize that I probably need to play more games with this deck to see how good the average draws really are but it just seemed like I had a lot of frustrating opening hands.

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post

In game two of my round 4 match, I was on the draw and had to mulligan and I kept a hand with no counterspells and no draw spells but I could turn two Show and Tell into either an Emrakul or a Dream Halls and I had an Enter the Infinite in my hand. I was hoping to draw into another blue card to make my decision easier but on my turn two, I still hadn't drawn a blue spell yet. My opponent didn't do anything on his turn either so all he had was two islands untapped. I ended up deciding that I wanted to try to Show and Tell and put in the Emrakul to try to win next turn and my Show and Tell actually resolved and he ended up not putting anything in play. My opponent really disagreed with my play but my thought was that if I'm going to try to win, I can't just Show and Tell in the Dream Halls and then pass the turn, letting him play whatever for free next turn. I also felt like I couldn't just pass the turn either as he could Show and Tell in something on his turn and then I have no counters to stop it. I guess it worked out this time but I'm not sure if it was the right play or not.
    I would have made the same play you did. Playing the waiting game is good when you have counters. You had to pull the trigger that turn no question since passing the turn means you can die. You can die off your show and tell, sure, but it also gives you a shot at winning. Win the game or die tryin'.

I even got to put my leyline in play on game one against my Deadguy opponent which he really wasn't too pleased about.
    Tell him to call a judge. Don't even say a word beyond that. You're not obligated to tell him anything.

I'm not really sure what to think about this deck. I felt like I had really subpar draws as I kept on getting opening hands where I have to combo but no dig or I just have all dig and nothing. Or I'd get hands where all I have are Pacts for counter spells and I'm not able to use them against the combo matchups. I also feel like this is a deck where I would really want something like a Clique so I can interact with my opponent before I combo off. I realize that I probably need to play more games with this deck to see how good the average draws really are but it just seemed like I had a lot of frustrating opening hands.
    Show and tell decks that are not Sneak Show do have a lot of dead cards. Omnitell is a three card combo and individual cards amount to nothing on their own. You do need to play more games with the deck, you answered your own question. Your opening keepers are also in question. Read tournaments reports of people who have done well with the deck and evaluate their gameplay decisions.

Thread Information