Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Re: Omniclash and Omnimaniac

No change, no concession, and no more answers to PMs.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

I was going to post a report...but I don't feel like the decisions were very interesting on the whole. I guess I'll talk about the one's that were.

As before:
    Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant
    Currently I've been testing Lejay's list -1 Leyline of Sanctity, -1 Pact of Negation, -1 Gitaxian Probe, -3 Island, +1 LDV, +2 Flusterstorm +1 Swamp, +1 Underground Sea, +1 Fetch, with 3 Thoughtseize in the board and it's been excellent so far.
    Except I made a mistake, it's only -2 Island, no additional fetch. Obviously Thoughtseize replaces Leyline of Sanctity. Other board changes: -1 Rushing River, -1 Sapphire Charm, -1 Defense Grid, +1 Wipe Away, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Surgical Extraction

Surgical is a response to my local meta in which I expect disproportionate amount of combo decks, including graveyard-based. The changes to the bounce spells just seem like a reasonable change. Rushing River is pretty cute.

Round 1 - alphastryk with UWr RiP Miracles
    The most difficult round as far as decisions. Game 1 I very easily Show and Telled with some backup, and he had nothing. Game 2 I knew that S&T was going to be very bad, but at the same time I get to bring in Thoughtseize and he doesn't have a whole lot of 3s. Boarded +3 TS, +1 PoN, -1 Emrakul, -1 FoW, -2 FS, -1 Show and Tell. Flusterstorm is bad against Top and CB. He beat down with hatebears and won. Game 3 we had a really awkward standoff where I resolved Dream Halls through 2 counterspells and a Counterbalance, but then couldn't find another blue spell while he beat down with Clique. Despite having multiple chances to bounce Clique with Karakas and replay it (to which I was cold because I had 1 Intuition I Wished for while he was tapped out with a 1 on top and the rest lands), he continued to tap low. Eventually I found another blue spell and won. Interestingly, he had a 2 in the top 3 which I completely forgot to consider. I should have used my last Wish to get Wipe Away for Counterbalance, but fortunately he scooped to my Wish for Release the Ants.
    1-0

Round 2 - Canadian Thresh
    My opponent honestly was not the most experienced. Game one he deployed a couple threats, but wasn't able to counter the Show and Tell I expected to get Dazed or Pierced...or anything really. I board in both Defense Grids and the Pact, boarded out Emrakul, 1 FoW, and LDV (because of Surgical and Scour). Game 2 I had the nuts hand with a few lands and all the combo pieces. I cast Brainstorm a couple times and he Forced the first and Pierced the second. I then untapped and killed him.
    2-0

Round 3 - Maverick
    Good player, but his build seemed soft to us. Game 1 he had a decision point. I had Island, Island, Sea, and had just Show and Tell'd Omniscience (to his Thalia). He chose to play and sac Canopy to try to find one of his 2 Pridemages, although afterwards we agreed he should have Wasted and dropped Karakas. I untapped and Wished for Eladamri's Call and won. Boarding -2 Flusterstorm, -2 Pact of Negation, +3 Thoughtseize, +1 Wipe Away. Game 2 he mulled to 5. He tapped 2 lands, tanked, untapped, then Zenith'd for 1, so I put him on having Thalia. I Thoughtseized him (he just miscounted and thought he had 3 mana for GSZ for Teeg), revealing a hand of nothing, and won the next turn.
    3-0

Round 4 - ID
    Round 5 - Green and Taxes Maverick
    He was playing the build recently showcased at BoM. Game 1 I had a slower start with only 1 Island, a City of Traitors, Enter, Omniscience, and a couple more blue cards, but no Show and no cantrips. In retrospect I should have mulliganed for sure. He dropped Thalia into Teeg and I lost. Game 2 he dropped Safekeeper into double Ethersworn Canonist (and then Teeg), so I was pretty out of the game from the start.

Retrospectives:
    Infinite Cunning is way easier and more forgiving than TES. It also seems to be more consistent. The deck is very, very strong.
    I didn't want Leyline at all and Thoughtseize was good. I never got a Sea Wasted.
    I still need to mulligan bad hands. Being tired is not an excuse.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Would Lotus Petal be good in this deck? Has anyone tested it at all; I assume yes, but I have read all the forums on this deck, and have seen no mention of it. Why is it not good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPozsgay View Post
    Would Lotus Petal be good in this deck? Has anyone tested it at all; I assume yes, but I have read all the forums on this deck, and have seen no mention of it. Why is it not good enough?
    We're not that crazy about speed.

Sep 2012
    orange county, ny

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPozsgay View Post
    I personally feel that it doesn't need them its usually a turn 3 win anyway with 12 cantrips and 7 shuffle effects you barely find yourself mana screwed or brainstorm locked. I personally feel there is no reason to lower consistency to increase speed. Just my thoughts although I've only been testing this deck for 4 days.
    Legacy Decks:
    UWR Delver
    Imperial Painter
    Burn
    Manaless Dredge

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    I didn't want Leyline at all and Thoughtseize was good. I never got a Sea Wasted.
    It seems like you never played any decks where Leyline would have been part of the sideboard plan? Also, how was LDV?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by iostream View Post
    It seems like you never played any decks where Leyline would have been part of the sideboard plan? Also, how was LDV?
    You're right, and to me that's a lot of the appeal of Thoughtseize. It's much more versatile and is fine to draw into.

LDV is fine. I didn't use it this tournament, but I've used it before in testing to find the appropriate piece. It's at a nice spot in the curve, we're already a bit glutted at 3s, so an Intuition might not be as easily castable.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Thoughtseize is pretty poor against decks running discard and that's what you should fear the most given the current metagame. But if there are no discard decks in your local tournaments like your report suggests, then there are far less reasons to run them.
    Last edited by Lejay; 05-31-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

So for a bigger tournament (such as a StarCityGames Open), you'd stick with the Leylines? I wonder how popular the new Esper Deathblade decks, or even discard in general, will be in the next few weeks.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I'd stick with leylines in any metagame I know.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

How much discard do your opponents have to be running before Leyline of Sanctity is worth boarding in? I always struggle with the decision when my opponent is running like 6-7 discard spells/Vendilion Cliques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    6-7 discard spells/Vendilion Cliques.
    "/" or "+" ?
    Easy side in if it's "+". I'd say 6 discards and nothing else is the turning point in which I would start siding in leylines unless I have more reasons to side in something else. That is only based on rough experience though.

What do you all think of the lists from the SCG Open this past weekend?

Got amused by deck (previously played High Tide, quit because tired of opponents' hatred) and have some questions.

1. Why not to put a single wincon maindeck and free sideboard space? All the shenanigans with silly cards I always dreamed to play (ResearchDevelopment and alike) are fun, but they mean too much garbadge and too little versatility in the wishboard. We do not have to search for a wincon at all - if it's in the maindeck, we always draw it while achieving our main goal - resolving EtI. So why not to play Laboratory Maniac in the MD? I am aware of all the downsides of playing wincon which is a blank card before combo (used to play a single Blue Sun's Zenith in SB those High Tide days).

Quote Originally Posted by Dziga Murnau View Post
    Got amused by deck (previously played High Tide, quit because tired of opponents' hatred) and have some questions.

1. Why not to put a single wincon maindeck and free sideboard space? All the shenanigans with silly cards I always dreamed to play (ResearchDevelopment and alike) are fun, but they mean too much garbadge and too little versatility in the wishboard. We do not have to search for a wincon at all - if it's in the maindeck, we always draw it while achieving our main goal - resolving EtI. So why not to play Laboratory Maniac in the MD? I am aware of all the downsides of playing wincon which is a blank card before combo (used to play a single Blue Sun's Zenith in SB those High Tide days).
    Mostly because removing a Cunning Wish with Force is a lot less hurtful than removing LabMan. And it's undiscardable in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Larzdk View Post
    Mostly because removing a Cunning Wish with Force is a lot less hurtful than removing LabMan. And it's undiscardable in the sideboard.
    Yes, it can't be pitched to Force and to Dream Halls (just like Emrakul, though Emrakul is a bit more powerful when enters the battlefield through SnT), but discard itslef does not matter as long as we can play a Noxious Revival from SB (in response to any grave hate, or just when he is needed t win). We can even play him as a champ blocker and later return to the librariry with Revival. And this interaction is good, because Revival is our grave hate tool and anti-greve hate tool in the same slot.

Discarded and Extirpated Wish is as painful as Discarded and Extirpated LabMan (and three times more frequent). That's one of reasons, why Lejay plays Emrakul - it lets you win without Wishes. But Emrakul has even worse interaction with Pacts, than DH has with Wishes. Sometimes you win counter war, but can't let yourself take another turn.

Jul 2011
    AZ

So i made 10th place and lost to Todd Anderson on camera like a baddie after going 7-1 before my win-and-in yesterday. My list is the same one that won the BoM Legacy event but I cut the Ancient Tomb's for 1 Island and 1 City of Traitors. I will post a brief tournament report later but I found the deck to be ridiculously good.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...city=Baltimore

May 2013
    Brooklyn

I also played this deck to 7th place ( my breakers were better and I was able to draw into the top 8). I played lejay's list with a couple changes. Mainly I was worried about spending the whole day having people dropping venser and Orings into play against me. I played a main deck impulse, which was so good I'd consider playing another. My only losses were to the deck not wanting to work and could have gone either way. G3 of the semi finals, If I had drawn any draw spell, I'd have won. Instead I drew another omniscience. I'll write more later, gotta go to work now.

Jul 2011
    AZ

Quote Originally Posted by deadgone View Post
    I also played this deck to 7th place ( my breakers were better and I was able to draw into the top 8). I played lejay's list with a couple changes. Mainly I was worried about spending the whole day having people dropping venser and Orings into play against me. I played a main deck impulse, which was so good I'd consider playing another. My only losses were to the deck not wanting to work and could have gone either way. G3 of the semi finals, If I had drawn any draw spell, I'd have won. Instead I drew another omniscience. I'll write more later, gotta go to work now.
    ^ FYI - This fucking guy has the nicest OmniShow deck ive ever seen, mad props!
    also, also, the way you play cards makes my OCD go insane! :P

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

Triple representation in top16. Nice. Revolution is now.

Thread Information