Page 88 of 138 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 2748

Thread: [Deck] MonoU OmniTell

Re: [DTB] MonoU OmniTell

Maybe w/r painter, but there is a ur painter and it does run cantrips, as well as force and 6-8 blast effects.

From my phone. I do my best, dammit!

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

I never tested against UR Painter. Ran into Grixis Painter once, but my opponent was on tilt even before the first game started, so he probably didn't play well.
    Anyway, I think if you encounter Painter, it's more likely to be mono R or RW.

In the painter thread, many pilots have admitted their g1 against us is horrible. Their SB plan against us is typically digging/tutoring for Etherium Sculptor, then when we play SnT, they land the Sculptor with a follow-up Blast to Omniscience on the same turn. The Sculptor also does not constrict their own combo potential.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    But if Iona comes into play using Show and Tell, we don't have the chance to use anything, am I correct?
    A lot of people play 1 Slaughter Pact on the side. Side it it and /prey There is nothing better I'm afraid xD

Jun 2012
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    In the painter thread, many pilots have admitted their g1 against us is horrible. Their SB plan against us is typically digging/tutoring for Etherium Sculptor, then when we play SnT, they land the Sculptor with a follow-up Blast to Omniscience on the same turn. The Sculptor also does not constrict their own combo potential.
    I think you mean Ethersworn Canonist and sometimes RW Painter has one even in mainboard. I have to admit that playing Painter myself versus Omnitell is usually just horrible, regardless of the 6-7 mainboard red blasts

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

TIL Preordain is pretty good.

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    How is painter's a good matchup. They run 8 blasts.

I haven't tested against this deck much as its not really prevalent
    They just cannot win as long as you fight their gravehate (Tormod's Crypt first of all). If you extract it, they'll have to beat with Painters to get you. So you have all the time to assemble the combo.
    But you should play 2 Emri: one on the battlefield, one in library just in case.

Hello everyone I started playing the deck recently but I already have win some
    smaller tournaments from 30-40 players(I think it is much merit in the deck ...).

I play the version with red, this is my list:

Creatures 2
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Instants 19
    1 Impulse
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Dig Through Time
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

Sorceries 16
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Show and Tell

Enchantments 4
    4 Omniscience

Lands 19
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    6 Island

SIDE:
    3 Young Pyromancer
    2 Sudden Shock
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Through the Breach
    1 Trickbind

I wanted to know your opinions on side-IN/OUT in the most important metch up as:
    Miracle, Grixys, Team America, BUG control, D & T and Threshold UGR

obviously a deck that uses 3-4 cunning wish in main can not sid-in too much because of the wish board to keep in side,
    but I'd still like learn from you more experienced, as you would in the sidate these metch-up.

I think the side-IN/OUT as well be one of the most important aspects of the game,
    which is why I wanted to bring your attention to the side-IN/OUT

P.S. I also have the problem of Trickbind, in 20 games I have it used maybe one time ... as you used this card????

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mariobross View Post
    P.S. I also have the problem of Trickbind, in 20 games I have it used maybe one time ... as you used this card????
    I used Trickbind a lot on Magic Online; it is the one change I have made to Shouta's GP list, removing Entreat the Ants for it. They are both pretty much the same card, allowing you to win with an annoying triggered ability on the stack. The only thing is that Entreat requires slightly more setup.
    There's the corner case scenario of not being able to win without the attack step, but I think that's negligible.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I used Trickbind a lot on Magic Online; it is the one change I have made to Shouta's GP list, removing Entreat the Ants for it. They are both pretty much the same card, allowing you to win with an annoying triggered ability on the stack. The only thing is that Entreat requires slightly more setup.
    There's the corner case scenario of not being able to win without the attack step, but I think that's negligible.
    Well, it's not exactly the same, in the mirror killing in response to your opponents DTT or cunning wish might be really relevant.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

The mirror is an additional reason I'd rather not want Ants. You'd have to get quite lucky to win a game with it considering that you will need to win 15+ clashes with it.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

The mirror is an additional reason I'd rather not want Ants. You'd have to get quite lucky to win a game with it considering that you will need to win 15+ clashes with it.
    You have to go for the emrakul or enter the infinite at least (finding emrakul shouldn't be a problem with eladamri's), and keep in mind that you have a surgical extraction to shuffle his deck in case that he has seen or modified the top.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

That's an incredible amount of things to go right. Also, Enter the Infinite is a thing of the past, but I get your general point.

Also, the second scenario you describe is one that seems to resolve double Cunning Wish (Ants+Surgical) at which point you're much better off just using Wipe Away on his Omniscience, then probably Wishing for FF into Flusterstorm and the third Wish.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

what's the point in playing red and no Burning Wish for Overmaster and Show and Tell?
    I would also play a singleton Enlightned Tutor in the SB

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    what's the point in playing red and no Burning Wish for Overmaster and Show and Tell?
    I would also play a singleton Enlightned Tutor in the SB
    Boseiju is a colorless Overmaster which also makes mana rather than costing one and I don't get Wish on Elightend Tutor or 2UW total if you can simply dig for Omni for UU. It's a lot like Personal Tutor for Ponder ;)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I don't consider Trickbind and Release the Ants to be pretty much the same card. They basically have the same effect in your example, I agree. However, whereas Trickbind only disposes of nasty triggered effects, Release the Ants allows you to win when there's such an effect on the stack (as you clearly stated). Yet, that's a big difference, which you don't seem to evaluate correctly.

I'll give you a pretty hands-on example for a situation in which Release the Ants is clearly superior: I had the pleasure to watch your stream yesterday (thank you very much for streaming btw, I'm enjoying it whenever I can). Do you remember when you lost that game vs. Dredge when your opponent put Ashen Rider into play? You fetched FF, then Trickbind with the CW from FF but couldn't find Emrakul in time and lost. Had you fetched Release the Ants with your Cunning Wish from FF you could've used the Omniscience you found via Impulse as your clash card and won. This situation has occurred to me many times. I often win with Omniscience and sometimes even with FoW on top of my library (depends on the deck your opponent is playing, of course). I'm sure that cutting the ability to win with instant speed, that is Release the Ants, is a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogh! View Post
    I don't consider Trickbind and Release the Ants to be pretty much the same card. They basically have the same effect in your example, I agree. However, whereas Trickbind only disposes of nasty triggered effects, Release the Ants allows you to win when there's such an effect on the stack (as you clearly stated). Yet, that's a big difference, which you don't seem to evaluate correctly.

I'll give you a pretty hands-on example for a situation in which Release the Ants is clearly superior: I had the pleasure to watch your stream yesterday (thank you very much for streaming btw, I'm enjoying it whenever I can). Do you remember when you lost that game vs. Dredge when your opponent put Ashen Rider into play? You fetched FF, then Trickbind with the CW from FF but couldn't find Emrakul in time and lost. Had you fetched Release the Ants with your Cunning Wish from FF you could've used the Omniscience you found via Impulse as your clash card and won. This situation has occurred to me many times. I often win with Omniscience and sometimes even with FoW on top of my library (depends on the deck your opponent is playing, of course). I'm sure that cutting the ability to win with instant speed, that is Release the Ants, is a bad decision.
    Ashen Rider might be the most important reason to play Release the Ants, even if you counter the first trigger, the second on will trigger when you attack with your Emrakul that will soon be exiled. It's a good thing that it isn't played too much except maybe in Burn and Goblin sideboard.

The 3 big clash cards are Dig Through Time, Omniscience and Emrakul. I'm sure that Force of Will can somtimes do it but it must be pretty rare. This interesting observation made me make a list of decks playing high CMC.

Emrakul only loses against itself. It sees play in Omni-Tell, Sneak and Show, Shallow Grave Reanimator, 12 Post, Food Chain, Hypergenesis, Mono-Red Sneak Attack, some Enchantress, rarely in MUD and rarely as a sideboard singleton ( I found copies in Lands, MUD, Enchantress, Dragon Stompy, Painter).

Omniscience loses against itself, Emrakul, Blightsteel Colossus, Enter the Infinite, Kozilek, Progenitus, Ulamog, Worldspine Wurm.

-Omniscience sees play in Omni-Tell and some Sneak and Show.
    -Blightsteel Colossus sees play in some MUD.
    -Enter the Infinite in some OmniTell.
    -Kozilek and Ulamog in 12 Post.
    -Progenitus and Worlspine Wurm in some Elves/Natural Order sideboard.

Dig Through Time loses against itself, the previously mentioned cards and Ashen Rider, Blazing Archon, Craterhoof Behemoth, Griselbrand, Inkwell Leviathan, Iona, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Sundering Titan, Terastodon, Tidespout Tyrant, Tombstalker, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and a random rare played by your opponent in the 0-7 bracket.

-Dig Through Time is played in almost all blue decks except RUG Delver, Merfolk, Storm and Reanimator. Not all decks play the full suite, a lot of them like Miracle and Infect only plays one or two.
    -Craterhoof Behemoth is played in Elves and other Natural Order decks.
    -Griselbrand is played in Reanimator, Sneak and Show and some Dredge decks.
    -Sundering Titan is a staple in MUD, Ugin also sees play but more on the fringe.
    -Tombstalker sees rare play in BUG decks, usually not played with Dark Confidant.
    -Blazing Archon, Inkwell Leviathan, Iona, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Terastodon, Tidespout Tyrant only sees play in Reanimator and Dread Return Dredge.
    -Ashen Rider sees play in Reanimator and in the sideboard of decks such as Reanimator, Dredge, Sneak and Show, Burn, Goblin.

Force of Will loses against a ton of cards especially itself, Batterskull and Terminus. All blue decks except Storm have 3-4 Force of Will. If you know a deck, has used 2 or 3 copies of Force of Will or has fetched Batterskull then it might be worth trying if you've nothing better to do. Instead of looking at cards more expensive than 4, I'll look at decks not playing a lot.
    -Storm only has 1 copy of Ad Nauseam, rogue build might have more.
    -Burn has 4 Fireblast.
    -Maverick style decks have 1 Batterskull.
    -Death & Taxes has 1 Batterskull.
    -Jund has nothing.
    -Goblins might have Earwing Squad, Pyrokinesis MD and Ashen Rider SB.
    -Affinity has 4 Thoughtcast.
    -Lands have nothing except maybe a Worm Harvest MD or a singleton Emrakul SB.
    -Non-Blue Nic Fit will usually have plenty of 5+ drop like Thragthusk, Acidic Slime, green or black Titan and random creatures you've never heard of. Blue Fit might also have Force of Will.
    -Dredge has Golgari Grave-Troll, Dread Return targets and sometimes more.
    -Painter has nothing except a possible singleton Emrakul in SB.
    -Goblin Charbelcher has nothing unless they play Street Wraith in addition to Gitaxian Probe.
    -Budget decks without Force of Will can sometimes have nothing above 4 but it's hard to know.
    -Red Stompy usually have a curve topping at 4.

Intuition, Cunning Wish and Show Tell will never let you win except a single archetype.
    -RG Lands usually have nothing maindeck. Rogue build might have a singleton Crucible of Worlds, Smokestack or Worm Harvest. Blue versions have Intuition, Black versions have Liliana of the Veil and Nether Traitor. After sideboard they have Krosan Grip, Slaughter Games, etc.

Impulse or 1 CMC won't make you win unless your opponent has a really low life total, a really small library or a really weird deck.

Lands won't make you win unless your opponent has an empty library.

As a recap, Emrakul is good against every decks not playing it except decks playing it. It might still work in a pinch because most only play one or two copies except Sneak and Show, some Omni-Tell, Mono-Red Sneak Attack and Hypergenesis.

Omniscience is good except against Omni-Tell, Sneak Attack, Red Sneak Attack, Hypergenesis, 12 Post (3 copies). In a pinch might still work against Shallow Grave Reanimator, Enchantress, Food Chain,singleton sideboard Emrakul, singleton Blightsteel Colossus in MUD and Progenitus/Worlspine Wurm in Elves/Natural Order.

Dig Through Time is good except against Sneak and Show, Omni-Tell, Mono-Red Sneak-Attack, Hypergenesis, 12 Post (3 copies), Reanimator, Elves (2/3 copies), MUD (2-5 copies), Dredge (0-3 copies, highly dependant on graveyeard), 4 Ashen Rider sideboard. In a pinch might work against Dig Thought Time decks (1-3 copies, rarely 4), Enchantress (1 copy), Food Chain (1-3 copies).

To estimate the odds of winning with Release the Ants you also need to take into consideratoion what they might have sideboarded in or out, the cards played already, cards in opponent hand, number of cards remaing in library. You also must evaluate if your odds of winning will improve by waiting one more turn instead of going for an uncertain RtA kill. Always take into consideration unknown or fringe techs that might block your kill. If there's a win with Emrakul attacks, go for it instead of risking you opponent flipping Draco.

If you've additional information against decks on the fringe that might be played but not necessarily made a lot of top 8, you'd be welcome. I hope this will be helpful in the 1% of game where all this matters.

When is it correct to side in the Young Pyros in the UR build? What decks is pyro good against?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by laserstone View Post
    When is it correct to side in the Young Pyros in the UR build? What decks is pyro good against?
    miracles, mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by laserstone View Post
    You need two things for the Pyromancer plan to be good:
    -It must be hard to deploy your combo or your combo isn't great in the matchup.
    -After sideboard, there won't be an opposing fast clock or removal/blockers to nullify Young Pyromancer.

It's good against OmniTell, Miracle decks without Meddling Mage, Stoneforge Mystic or Monastery Mentor packages, fringe decks like Pox or Landstill. It doesn't seem that great against Sneak and Show or Hive Mind.

Thread Information