Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thread for going out on a limb

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Thread for going out on a limb

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    So you're saying I can go and buy a full Legacy set online, then sit back and pray for it to shut down because then they will owe me physical copies of all the cards I purchased?
    Aside from being a poor use of your own resources, the redemption is limited to completed sets of redeemable sets currently in print. Pretty much 1x each card from a current Standard set.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

AKA - Vogmudet
    Jun 2012
    Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Aside from being a poor use of your own resources, the redemption is limited to completed sets of redeemable sets currently in print. Pretty much 1x each card from a current Standard set.
    Right, I do know that, but I think it's kind of off kilter to be talking about being able to benefit from your 'online' cards by turning them into physical cards as a backup for supporting MTGO if one cannot get their full collection redeemed.

They way I see it, MTGO is just like playing any other online game. You pay whatever amount you feel it's worth to you for your entertainment and yes, while it is active you can benefit from turning your virtual collection into cash (or other cards) but, at the end of the day, you are ultimately paying for nothing but your time and what it's worth to you. You pay for your entertainment and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

I do think the leasing analogy holds water though. You don't physically own anything and thus are subject to it one day being nothing. On the other hand if WotC were to go belly up completely and Magic were to die as a game, even the collectible value of the physical cards would fade after time.

In the end, play and support how you want is my motto.

Part of the motivation for changing the planeswalker and legendary rules is to make Jace more palatable. Everyone gets a Jace.

This foreshadows unbanning JTMS in Modern as of M14. This move is timed with Modern Masters to push the format.
    "If magic is your crutch, cast it aside and learn to walk without it." —Teferi

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    This foreshadows unbanning JTMS in Modern as of M14. This move is timed with Modern Masters to push the format.
    Forget it. JTMS won't be unbanned when things like BBE and Vision are banned. They would have to completely revamp the format to the point where it would no longer be crap.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    Forget it. JTMS won't be unbanned when things like BBE and Vision are banned. They would have to completely revamp the format to the point where it would no longer be crap.
    Despite agreeing with you - don't you forget - this is the "Thread for going out on a limb" :D

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    I do think the leasing analogy holds water though. You don't physically own anything and thus are subject to it one day being nothing. On the other hand if WotC were to go belly up completely and Magic were to die as a game, even the collectible value of the physical cards would fade after time.
    Yeah I doubt most legacy cards have a low enough supply to hold much value purely as collectors items. If I remeber right there are like 300k of each rivised dual. That is a a ton.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Here's one for ya re: Modern -

Wizards will eventually be forced to acknowledge that a counterspell on a par with Daze or Force of Will is the only way to prevent the Modern banlist from plunging into a recursive cycle of "Ban best thing; next best thing dominates; next best thing must be overpowered". They will not reprint Force of Will because they are clowns, but they will devise a playable analog - something with a similar alternative casting cost, but no 'harder' a counterspell than Mana Leak. The banlist will shrink by at least 40%, and there will be much rejoicing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Part of the motivation for changing the planeswalker and legendary rules is to make Jace more palatable. Everyone gets a Jace.

While I don't know if this prediction is correct, I think the spirit of it is. I think over the course of the next two to five years, the modern ban list will shrink considerably and the power level will be brought closer to legacy. I think that's why we're seeing such a distinct powercreep right now - they're trying to create a version of Legacy that they can control. I'll go out on the limb a little further: We'll see the pendulum swing back to powerful spells sometime in the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Im not exactly sure what you are getting at about the leasing or whatever. Im sure that despite not logging into my account in around a year that my shitty warp world deck from extended three years ago is still on there as well as all of the random crappy cards that I have collected through drafting a few times... I dont think them deleting your cards or whatever is quite as simple as you think.

BEGIN TRAN

DELETE FROM CardInstance CI
    INNER JOIN Owner O ON O.OwnerID = CI.OwnerID
    WHERE UPPER(O.UserName) = UPPER('Megadeus')

COMMIT TRAN

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    BEGIN TRAN

DELETE FROM CardInstance CI
    INNER JOIN Owner O ON O.OwnerID = CI.OwnerID
    WHERE UPPER(O.UserName) = UPPER('Megadeus')

COMMIT TRAN

However, you're exactly right.

I've spent a little money here and there on in-app purchases and it always makes me feel like a dirty, dirty son of a bitch. I even went so far as to spend a little coin on a Facebook app that I enjoyed - that thing definitely got shutdown this year, and I have absolutely nothing to show for those purchases. They took my couple bucks, developed a different game and let the first one hit the skids.

Not saying MTGO would do that, but I mean you just cannot be certain and there is no reason to assume that any purchase you make is nearly as secure as the purchase of an actual card. Yes things can happen to your real-life cards too. Sometimes people spill soda on your Magic cards. Sometimes people try to be slick in the Terminal and move something to their /usr/bin and accidentally their whole hard drive, because reasons.

I've gotten lazy writing T-SQL instead of ANSI

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I've gotten lazy writing T-SQL instead of ANSI
    Imagine my surprise jumping from Python to jQuery. }); still kind of makes me want to vomit. Unfortunately I can't get CoffeeScript working at work, for whatever the hell reason.

At any rate, the point stands - please folks, do not act like you're getting the same value out of these electronic transactions. There's no guarantees there at all. I just watched a client lose 8 months of data because some asshat made a tiny error in the office about, I dunno, 8 months ago, and it very sneakily ruined all of their data while making it look like they were still backing everything up. It doesn't exist anymore. It just doesn't. Nothing says your online cards can't do exactly the same thing.

Like I said I know IRL dumb shit happens too, people get their backpacks stolen or - God fucking forbid - assaulted and injured (or much much worse) for them. But the *kind* of act it takes to mess with data is generally surprisingly less malicious and considerably more incidental.

Just don't act like it's the same thing, that's all.

All right, first I want to apologize for being a jerk.

Second, my only point is that leasing a card is not worth the same as owning a physical card. It just isn't. It's much less valuable because, at the end of the day, you own nothing, and your collection is completely beholden to MTGO existing and allowing you to have said collection, which is not the case with real cards. Charging the same prices for a lease on digital cards as it costs to buy a real physical card is insane.

Not to mention, whether you're aware of it or not, there is a huge precedent for content services just like MTGO to go belly up and screw all the people that paid for digital content. It's happened. Quite a lot. I doubt it will happen soon to MTGO, but leasing cards means you implicitly think MTGO will exist *forever*, which is a terrible bet.

Also, yes I'm aware of set redemption, but that essentially does not even apply for Legacy, since none (or at least, barely any) of the cards you need are from Standard sets which allow redemption.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Here's my most recent prediction: the new legendary permanent/planeswalker rules will not affect the metagame. It will certainly change how some games play out, but the overall impact will be comparable to that felt when we lost damage on the stack and mana burn. (The reason I mention this is because two SCG premium articles today suggest that JtMS became much better.)
    I've tested several Esperblade matches with the new M14 rules and EVERY non-blowout game came down to who had Jitte online with counters first. In observing the other guys play one exhausted so many resources to deal with his opponent's equipment/Jace and ran out of threats.

In the Esper matchup Vindicate becomes so much more powerful with its primary targets being Jitte and Academy Ruins. Vindicating a Jace is only relevant if you don't have yours in play.

Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage is pretty damn sweet in a traditional Lands shell. Crop Rotation is a horrible card for Lands and should never be played. Just do the usual resource denial and use Depths to close it out. Building a deck around Crop Rotation and Knight of the Reliquary is asking for trouble.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Going to go out on a limb here - people are creating accounts and posting in this thread for the first time on The Source just to go out on a limb.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Going to go out on a limb here - people are creating accounts and posting in this thread for the first time on The Source just to go out on a limb.
    I look forward to their engaging, insightful, and fresh points of view regarding the price of dual lands.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Are you one of these people? :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

While I'm pretty sure that the legendary rule was meant to push duders in Theros block, it does open up the door for legendary, fetchable duals. While I have a hard time imagining they'd put shocks and legend-fetches in back-to-back blocks, legend-fetches seem like a really good idea.

They'd be super-solid in Standard, but self-limiting (do you really want to run 8 in a deck with limited card filtration); they'd complement shocks in Modern without replacing them (You'll want to run a mix of legendaries/shocks since the first legendary land is clearly better than the first shock, but shocks won't strip you); and they'd be a great boon for Legacy players of all stripes. OG duals are clearly better, but shaving hundreds of dollars off a deck price (by running a mix of legendary duals and basics in place of real duals) can't be bad for the format. It's also a great pack-seller for the EDH crowd; it just seems like a can't-lose.

The really nice thing? They'll simultaneously make it cheaper to get into Modern (by further diluting the price of shocks) while not hurting OG duals. In real eternal formats, they're stand-ins for OG duals; outside of some niche, 1- or 2-drop card that does something powerful for playing Legendary permanents, no one will run 'em over the originals.

I'm pretty sure we'll see something like this in the near future (that is, within 2 years).

There's my limb.
    The proper plural must be "hall of fames." You wouldn't say Halls & Oate, now, would you?

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

I'm going to go out on limb and say that after the coverage of Vintage Worlds in November, people will finally realize how awesome and deep the Vintage format really is.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Going out on a limb: Notion Thief is a good card.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information