Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wizards cuts loose Legacy and Vintage Championships

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Wizards cuts loose Legacy and Vintage Championships

The strategy wotc has been following with showing entirely clear indications (which they can not hide) that they will soon not be bothered with Legacy (due to the contradiction associated with the Reserved List or for any reason you like) while remaining officially silent on the topic is precisely the same strategy leaders of all types have always taken when making moves that are certain to piss off a sizable portion of their constituency. There is nothing ambiguous about what wotc is doing here. Whether you choose to stick your head in the sand about it or not is up to each of you. The writing on the wall could not be more clear on this though. I'm not sure a thread like this pisses me off or not. At least it is being talked about, but any clear look at what the company has been doing since Modern was first introduced does not even require reading between the lines.

Have any of you seen what is in Modern Masters? It is a huge print run (Mark Rosewater said it was higher than most of us expect in his blog) of as many of the super expensive cards for Modern as they could pack into it. It should radically drop the prices of Modern staples, and if it does not do the trick, there is nothing stopping them from printing more. At the same time, the most expensive Legacy staples continue to rise in price significantly. Once the dust settles from this you can expect the rest of the story to follow in a predictable manner. It is already set in motion. There is no need to speculate any more about what this event or that phrase means.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'm pretty sure the organizer if given sufficient time would be more than happy to support regional qualifier tourneys since all it does is drive interest to his main event. Not sure if there is enough lead time for this but I'd be happy to push qualifiers to my FLGSOwners here in Atlanta. If they think they can get people in their stores (except one who seems vehemently opposed to all eternal magic) they'll be all for it.

- Northeast (anywhere really)

- Southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte ?)

- Midwest (St. Louis, Dallas)

- Mountain (Denver)

- Northwest (Portland, Seattle)

- Southwest (Los Angeles, Phoenix)
    b
    Im biased and the southeast should be in ATL ;)

But it seems like a good idea. So basically they are similar to PTQs in that you are using them to get in? Or is it like a GPT where it is only used as byes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

It seems like this might be the time of trials for Legacy. Despite increasing excitement for Modern and related product releases, BoM just announced a new tournament series, the Southeast is hoping to start up a legacy league, and I'm sure there's more Legacy interest in other parts of the world.

I think this year is the crucial year for us as a community to push for a stronger legacy scene. Maybe that involves regional trials for a Legacy champs tournament (very sweet idea, nedleeds!), maybe it just involves local legacy leagues and tournaments. But I think all of us should try to work with stores to create and promote legacy events.

Wizards clearly isn't going to step in to help eternal formats, so we're just going to have to do it on our own. Fortunately, we have the advantage of not being completely awash with miserable misers like the other formats.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    It seems like this might be the time of trials for Legacy. Despite increasing excitement for Modern and related product releases, BoM just announced a new tournament series, the Southeast is hoping to start up a legacy league, and I'm sure there's more Legacy interest in other parts of the world.

I think this year is the crucial year for us as a community to push for a stronger legacy scene. Maybe that involves regional trials for a Legacy champs tournament (very sweet idea, nedleeds!), maybe it just involves local legacy leagues and tournaments. But I think all of us should try to work with stores to create and promote legacy events.

Wizards clearly isn't going to step in to help eternal formats, so we're just going to have to do it on our own. Fortunately, we have the advantage of not being completely awash with miserable misers like the other formats.
    Agreed. I think that with strong community we can keep legacy booming and everyone enjoying the format. What legacy league are you talking about though here in the southeast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Seems like a good thing to me. I'd rather go to Philly than Indianapolis any day. Better food, better transportation, more to do. Also it won't be in the middle of another mostly unrelated event, so it's going to be less crowded, less hectic, and hopefully more secure as a result. I've never gone to champs because I have no interest in GenCon or Indy, I'm definitely thinking of going to this though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Thread Information