Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wizards cuts loose Legacy and Vintage Championships

Re: Wizards cuts loose Legacy and Vintage Championships

They should just have altered art cards as a prize for t8 and the winner that are playable, not oversized. It would be limited enough that restricted list shouldn't matter, or they could do cool stuff like old border jaces or nic nacs like that.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    They should just have altered art cards as a prize for t8 and the winner that are playable, not oversized. It would be limited enough that restricted list shouldn't matter, or they could do cool stuff like old border jaces or nic nacs like that.
    To each their own, I really dislike most alters. I like actually real prize support and the idea that eternal is a real even is a big plus for me. Gencon is a consumer gaming convention, not a magic convention. I would much rather have a dedicated magic event than be packed into show with a hentai bar and a scavenger hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    To each their own, I really dislike most alters. I like actually real prize support and the idea that eternal is a real even is a big plus for me. Gencon is a consumer gaming convention, not a magic convention. I would much rather have a dedicated magic event than be packed into show with a hentai bar and a scavenger hunt.
    Well I was just saying it as an aside, I dont really care for where the tournament is. Doing alters allows Wizards to provide prize support without ponying up the cash.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Agreed with every single sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazi...other/05312013
    Vintage/legacy "champs" are now just another event run by some TO. Vintage is now entirely officially unsupported.
    WHOA WHOA WHOA

The TO who is running the event this year is Nick Coss. Nick has been a STAPLE in the Vintage community for about ever. He cares more about and has more knowledge of the Vintage community than Alan of pasttimes has in his entire freakin body. To say that Vintage is unsupported because of this change could not be the least bit further from the truth. On the contrary, this event will be so much more in line with what Vintage players want, and Nick will do such a bang-up job with it, that Vintage will grow more this year than it ever has after a Gencon held event.

Furthermore, because Nick is able to focus on just these events there will be better security, better coverage, WAY better prize support, etc(I could go on and on)

And let's not forget the most important thing...taking these events out of Gencon makes them more accessible to people since you don't have the steep costs of a downtown hotel, Gencon Admission, etc.

I think this is a positive thing in just about every way imaginable.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Oh Snap the fishman is alive?

Always listen to the fishman.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

I think a lot of people are missing my point - WotC doing this does have symbolic and practical importance.

WotC previously designed and directed champs at GenCon - that they didn't directly staff it themselves is irrelevant, they don't staff anything themselves but PTs and euro GPs.

As far as I can tell, it's now 100% privately run - this is a significant change. It's the difference between a GP and a SCG Open weekend. In fact, it's now pretty much a SCG Open weekend with Vintage instead of Standard.

WotC also directed promotional and coverage resources at it as an official event that won't be there anymore.

Nothing against the TO, but it's no longer "champs" - there's now an unrelated SCG Open/TCG 5K for eternal.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

I think a lot of people are missing my point - WotC doing this does have symbolic and practical importance.

WotC previously designed and directed champs at GenCon - that they didn't directly staff it themselves is irrelevant, they don't staff anything themselves but PTs and euro GPs.

As far as I can tell, it's now 100% privately run - this is a significant change. It's the difference between a GP and a SCG Open weekend. In fact, it's now pretty much a SCG Open weekend with Vintage instead of Standard.

WotC also directed promotional and coverage resources at it as an official event that won't be there anymore.

Nothing against the TO, but it's no longer "champs" - there's now an unrelated SCG Open/TCG 5K for eternal.
    We're not missing your point, it's just not a very valid point.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

For all the promotional and coverage support, I dont remember any half way decent live stream or good prizes. If they cant substantiate good prizing, the tournament is a joke. Thats my main beef. I could care less if WWE picked up the tournament title as long as they gave players incentive to attend.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

It never deserved being called "World Championships" from the start, lacking worldwide qualifications and WotC-payed fly-ins/hotel.

You can't expect people paying 1300$ just to participate unless you are from the Staates close out a large pool of players with that and still think you play against the best players worldwide
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    We're not missing your point, it's just not a very valid point.
    This also means that if WotC isn't giving it any support then it doesn't appear on their website and is less likely to talked about on Twitter by them. This means less new players hear about Legacy and Vintage.
    Legacy:
    Combo Elves
    WB Tokens
    Cheeri0s

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    For all the promotional and coverage support, I dont remember any half way decent live stream or good prizes. If they cant substantiate good prizing, the tournament is a joke. Thats my main beef. I could care less if WWE picked up the tournament title as long as they gave players incentive to attend.
    This new tournament - which has no actual relation to the previous one - may be good, and I hope it is. But I personally liked the champs at GenCon, and it's a little sad to see it go.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Norwegian Polarbear Fighter

Jan 2012

I have a feeling it was not an alter he was talking about. More like one of the P9 pieces reprinted, with the new art. Aka Black Lotus on a normal card, normal stock and size, with the art from the MTGO Cube.
    @Stoyrm on Twitter, i usually tweet about Legacy and Magic :)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by workingdude View Post
    Makes it sound like an SCG Open for Legacy and Vintage on that weekend (ala "10K in prizes!") with a title and a painting. I dont know if thats better or worse, since thats probably actually better than what it has been the last couple years.

…and check this out. On November first, second and third, the Magic Eternal Weekend comes to Philadelphia and this event is going to be huge - we're talking hundreds of players, a legacy championship with over ten thousand of dollars in prizes paid down to sixty-fourth place and a vintage championship with over ten thousand dollars in prizes paid down to sixty-fourth place...

…so make plans to join us when the Magic Eternal Weekend comes to Philly and we'll see ya there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I would love to see a major Vintage event closer to the middle of the US. IE: St. Louis, Kansas City, Or even Omaha or Dallas. Maybe have the Vintage Championships in different cities world wide over a period of a year, a truly world wide tournament with top finishers invited to be able to claim the real title of World Champ. You would maybe have to restrict anyone who has finished first in another location from going and getting multiple spots in the next round by trying to win first int different locations. I understand some locations may only get the min number of players for Vintage and there may have to be a bit of 10 card or 5 card proxy to get it really packed. I know if there was one close I could get at least 4 if we could do the 10 card proxy, only 2 of us have full decks without proxies in them atm.

I would think it would be epic if we had a States type event for Legacy, maybe regional qualifiers in college towns across each state with invites to the State championship and then on from there top 3 from each state to a USA Championship and then a USA team onto something like BOM for a real World Champ for Legacy
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by trevaftw View Post
    This also means that if WotC isn't giving it any support then it doesn't appear on their website and is less likely to talked about on Twitter by them. This means less new players hear about Legacy and Vintage.
    Yes because this event was so well publicized and attracted so many new players. [/extreme sarcasm]
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

The largest Legacy championship ever at Gen Con featured approximately 350 players, which is slightly lower than the turnout for the largest SCG Opens. The prize support, which was pretty bad in previous years, was never as good as SCG Opens. The coverage was worse than that provided by SCG.

I'd be much more concerned about the viability of the format if SCG cut its support for Legacy; this doesn't even register on my radar. Wizards has never really supported the format that much, and it has still prospered in spite of this, due to organic support by the player base and third-party support from individual stores and larger circuits like SCG.

I'm pretty sure the organizer if given sufficient time would be more than happy to support regional qualifier tourneys since all it does is drive interest to his main event. Not sure if there is enough lead time for this but I'd be happy to push qualifiers to my FLGSOwners here in Atlanta. If they think they can get people in their stores (except one who seems vehemently opposed to all eternal magic) they'll be all for it.

- Northeast (anywhere really)

- Southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte ?)

- Midwest (St. Louis, Dallas)

- Mountain (Denver)

- Northwest (Portland, Seattle)

- Southwest (Los Angeles, Phoenix)

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'm pretty sure the organizer if given sufficient time would be more than happy to support regional qualifier tourneys since all it does is drive interest to his main event. Not sure if there is enough lead time for this but I'd be happy to push qualifiers to my FLGSOwners here in Atlanta. If they think they can get people in their stores (except one who seems vehemently opposed to all eternal magic) they'll be all for it.

- Northeast (anywhere really)

- Southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte ?)

- Midwest (St. Louis, Dallas)

- Mountain (Denver)

- Northwest (Portland, Seattle)

- Southwest (Los Angeles, Phoenix)
    I know there would be enough Canadian interest to develop something in Toronto/Montreal

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Isn't the Eternal Weekend the same weekend as Bazaar of Moxen: Paris? /firstworldMagicproblems /can't attend both

-Matt

Thread Information