Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [advice] Ghost Council of Orz - or, "Hey look it's 75 cents"

Apr 2014
    Arkansas

Re: [advice] Ghost Council of Orz - or, "Hey look it's 75 cents"

I run a deck similar to this. The biggest difference is I have a few more ways to reset and still run point removal. The biggest suggestions I have for you is to add a sol ring, lifeline, and a scroll rack. Lifeline is a must with a sac heavy deck as it returns your creatures to play at the end of turn if there is another creature in play, allowing you to abuse ashen rider type cards in ways that my play group never thought of and positively hate. Other than that seems like a pretty solid build and if it runs anything like mine it should be a hated deck among your peers ;)

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    I run a deck similar to this. The biggest difference is I have a few more ways to reset and still run point removal. The biggest suggestions I have for you is to add a sol ring, lifeline, and a scroll rack. Lifeline is a must with a sac heavy deck as it returns your creatures to play at the end of turn if there is another creature in play, allowing you to abuse ashen rider type cards in ways that my play group never thought of and positively hate. Other than that seems like a pretty solid build and if it runs anything like mine it should be a hated deck among your peers ;)
    Moar board wipe AND targeted removal? Heh ^____^;;

I have honestly felt like the amount of board wipe is mostly fine, I could stand to put in some maybe more flexible or less costly things though - like put an actual Wrath of God in there somewhere instead of some 5- or 6-mana 'close enough' spell. Merciless Eviction is a pretty cool dude though. But then Akroma's Vengeance for example, is kind of stupid right -- I don't always want to kill all the enchantments and they are a bit harder to get back than creatures without doing something not-unfair like Replenish or Open the Vaults, neither of which I think I want to run in this deck any more.

If I put in a spot removal spell it'd probably have to be at least as versatile as Mortify or Terminate. StP don't cut it for me, just because there are a bunch of ways for me to control the board already. It feels like the only thing slowing the deck to the point of "shouldn't have lost that one" is the lack of cheap tutors. I should run out and get a second job or get better at making websites so I can get some of those cheap tutor spells without impinging on my ability to eat lunch or have internets. :D

Also, because I am endlessly dickering around, I have noted that there's at least one other thematically pleasing guy that self-exiles; Hikari, Twilight Guardian. It's a Spirit; it blinks isself and should be relatively easy to trigger; and there are enough Arcane spells which have admittedly interesting effects (Devouring Greed with a buncha Spirit tokens? For that matter, while controlling Athreos and not giving a fuck? ) that it may just prompt me to reconsider a handful of card choices. Too bad there are not more Spirits with Flash (there are a few, but they stupid mostly). I might just leave it alone and just up the number of Spirit guys that make the deck. I don't want to go full-on tribal though, mostly because there are not very many playable Spirit guys and I don't want to introduce too many mechanics and dilute the deck. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Apr 2014
    Arkansas

Reason i'm running more mass wipe with the 1 ccc white point removal spells is because the group I play edh with are extremely fond of running heavy on creatures. It's not always profitable to use mass destruction when all i'm really worried about is one particular creature on the board. I'm also running everything I can that says "destroy target permanent" in addition to wrath, day of judgment, damnation, and a disk. Add to that the fact that i'm running every tutor I can with lifeline and a few indestructible creatures and all mass destruction does is reset everyone else, the only mass destruction spell that really crews me is all is dust.. You, and this particular group, might think it's excessive but it wins about 70% of the time. Next time i'm on at home I'll post a deck list if anyone wants it

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Eh, the mass removal isn't the redundant bit, I guess I just have never personally seen a need for spot removal in a deck like this. I play it in Kaalia because hopefully she's aggro enough that a PtE is all I need to keep her in play.
    If I'm right in the long term, the equipment I've added will hopefully facilitate quicker Commander damage wins so spot removal may not be needed unless it's on a body like Luminate Primordial or that demon with 'Morbid - skunk target dude'. Can't tell you how many games I should have closed the deal on were it not for Ghost Dad's tiny 4/4 body. I'm actually considering Grafted Exoskeleton to that end, lol. I hate mixing regular dmg and poison though, so i dunno.

Apr 2014
    Arkansas

If I was playing 1 on 1 I'd definitely cut back on point destruction and probably cut one or two mass destruction spells. We usually have between 4 and 8 people playing though so that changes things up a little in my book with this deck since it's not really powerful enough to keep that many people/threats in check in the early stages of the game. And 100% honest opinion, look into lifeline (not sure how to link cards or I'd make it easy on ya). When I added it to my deck it completely changed the power level of the deck. People have taken to shooting it when they see it but they haven't quite caught on to the fact that nothing in this deck stays dead since I can either get it back from the graveyard or shuffle it back in and tutor it back out.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    If I was playing 1 on 1 I'd definitely cut back on point destruction and probably cut one or two mass destruction spells. We usually have between 4 and 8 people playing though so that changes things up a little in my book with this deck since it's not really powerful enough to keep that many people/threats in check in the early stages of the game. And 100% honest opinion, look into lifeline (not sure how to link cards or I'd make it easy on ya). When I added it to my deck it completely changed the power level of the deck. People have taken to shooting it when they see it but they haven't quite caught on to the fact that nothing in this deck stays dead since I can either get it back from the graveyard or shuffle it back in and tutor it back out.
    Yeah I took a look at Lifeline. I recently added Athreos, God of Passage to the deck, which is similar but different obviously - perhaps both is a wise idea. I feel like I might have Lifeline sitting around somewhere, I'll need to check.

Really though - what I need now is freaking TUTORS. More than anything else, cards that look for cards is the biggest thing the deck is hungry for. Wish there would be a FTV: Search Your Library already

Apr 2014
    Arkansas

Yeah tutors are a must. I'm running most of the ones in my colors, think vampiric is the only one missing and it's not in there because I don't have one. Something that helps me is top and scroll rack. Being able to filter the cards you have coming up helps greatly in the search for answers or the things to go get answers.

Thread Information