Thread: Pox vs. Obstinate Baloth

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Pox vs. Obstinate Baloth

I am at 20 life, no creatures on board, 1 card in hand, 1 land on board. My opponent plays Pox.

Am I correct in understanding that if I discard Baloth, it's a replacement effect, so Pox still "sees" it and forces me to sacrifice a creature due to the order of effects on the card. However, since life loss comes first (and because the life gain from Baloth is a triggered effect), I will first lose 7 to go to 13 before the trigger puts me to 17?

Thanks!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Pox vs. Obstinate Baloth

Quote Originally Posted by Pox, via Oracle text
    Each player loses a third of his or her life, then discards a third of the cards in his or her hand, then sacrifices a third of the creatures he or she controls, then sacrifices a third of the lands he or she controls. Round up each time.
    Each step in Pox occurs separately, and are resolved in order, and occur all during the resolution of Pox.

First, life loss will occur, so the player would drop a third to 13 life.
    Then, the player would discard his only card (Obstinate Baloth), and as a replacement put onto the battlefield instead. The trigger that is waiting for its owner to gain priority to place it on the stack.
    Then, the player would sacrifice a third of his creatures. Obstinate Baloth is now on the battlefield, so it will be sacrificed.
    Finally, the player sacrifices a third of his lands.

Now that players gain priority again, Baloth's trigger can be put on the stack to gain 4 life.

Net result:
    Player has no lands, no hand, no creatures, at 17 life.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: Pox vs. Obstinate Baloth

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Each step in Pox occurs separately, and are resolved in order, and occur all during the resolution of Pox.

First, life loss will occur, so the player would drop a third to 13 life.
    Then, the player would discard his only card (Obstinate Baloth), and as a replacement put onto the battlefield instead. The trigger that is waiting for its owner to gain priority to place it on the stack.
    Then, the player would sacrifice a third of his creatures. Obstinate Baloth is now on the battlefield, so it will be sacrificed.
    Finally, the player sacrifices a third of his lands.

Now that players gain priority again, Baloth's trigger can be put on the stack to gain 4 life.

Net result:
    Player has no lands, no hand, no creatures, at 17 life.
    I appreciate your response!

Thread Information