Page 353 of 382 FirstFirst ... 253303343349350351352353354355356357363 ... LastLast
Results 7,041 to 7,060 of 7635

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

Re: [Primer] Elves!

vs Miracles I sb 4 decay, 1 thoughtseize, 2 surgical and 1 needle, taking out 3 NO (all the md ones), scooze and some combination of heritage/glimpse/cradle (usually 2/0/2, but ive done 1/1/2 and 2/1/1 before). I have MD library which helps a ton...

I have actually been winning this matchup lately, and basically I just become a shardless bug deck (which can be a difficult matchup for them). I play out resilient threats (quirion/arbor, wws/any elf) and force them to constantly deal with the board so they never get to freely make angels or go ham with mentor. decay should be saved for counterbalance and mentor ONLY, imo...but even then I have been known to decay a clique or top if the situation bodes well. The thoughtseize makes going for big turns easy mode and surgical is there mainly to disrupt miracle draws but can also just randomly take out all their termini or stop a big snapcaster play.

I was losing this matchup a lot, but changing my mindset worked well. Essentially become shardless bug that can randomly glimpse into a full grip or play an uncounterable hoof (cavern on beast is crazy good vs them unless u are under cb lock). Be patient and look for the cracks...being impatient will lose you the game every time.

oh...never crack fetches unless you absolutely need the mana. instant speed free uncounterable 1/1's are the nuts vs miracles. arbors are usually good for 4-5 pts of dmg by themselves!!! ;)

now if I can just find a reliable way to beat sneak and show... -_-

How good is leovold? I've been running silkweaver elite in that slot and it's been good with wire wood symbiote.

Sep 2013
    Under hill.

Quote Originally Posted by AznSeal View Post
    How good is leovold? I've been running silkweaver elite in that slot and it's been good with wire wood symbiote.
    Not really answering your question, but I hate playing against Leovold when I'm piloting elves. Bummer that an elf punishes us so much.

SB Help

Hi, I'm looking for SB help for my local meta. The decks I see and am having trouble with are:

BR Reanimator
    UB Reanimator
    UR Sneak and Show
    U Omni Tell

I'm running a stock NO list w/ Scooze and Rec Sage in the main. SB is:

2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Flex slots

Any suggestions for the flex slots and how to SB for these matchups? Thanks!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'd encouraging watching Julian's videos as he does stream the sideboarding with explanations. With two reanimator I would also like to have a third surgical.
    -rob

Jun 2016
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I'd encouraging watching Julian's videos as he does stream the sideboarding with explanations. With two reanimator I would also like to have a third surgical.
    Or even a Faerie Macabre or two. Not only can they hit two targets (which you might need if they Exhume) but they also don't have to pay the tax from the Chancellor because it's an ability and not a spell.

Jan 2014
    Prague

Re: SB Help

Quote Originally Posted by maermer View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for SB help for my local meta. The decks I see and am having trouble with are:

BR Reanimator
    UB Reanimator
    UR Sneak and Show
    U Omni Tell

I'm running a stock NO list w/ Scooze and Rec Sage in the main. SB is:

2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Flex slots

Any suggestions for the flex slots and how to SB for these matchups? Thanks!

Hi dude,

just have not exact similiar meta as you but i don't feel not comfortable against any kind of reanimator or show and tell decks as well until leyline of the void great hate for grave to compare with others you can lose them very soon like by discard or cancel them anyway but for LoV is no answer in few hard matchups anyway against combo decks you are wishing other your grave hate have in your opening hand like surgical or macabre so why don't use more powerfull hate. i know that surgical have some adventiges for other decks working with top or is useful with your therapy but its just nice ..
    i'm using three copies of them but maybe i'll adding fourth still no problem with mulliganing to leyline :)

for show and tell is hard way to choose some more preferable cards but i think couple of discards especially therapies should be better against combo because single duress or thoughtsieze is not enough , pithing needle should help also or krosan grip could be surprising too with omnishow.

hope my suggest helped ;)

Regarding Reanimator and Show and Tell, I board in 1 Ooze (not included in Show and Tell), 3 Thoughtseize, 2 Therapy, 3 Surgical, and 1 Leovold (total of 10 cards). I take out 3 Visionary, 3 Symbiote, 1 birchclore (I run 2), 1 Heritage Druid, 1 Nettle Sentinel, 1 Sage. I prioritize mulling for disruption against these decks to force my opponent to mull for a hand that can beat hate. Reanimator is easier to beat than Show and Tell. Just pray they don't kill you on turn 1.

May 2016
    Maine

I would consider keeping in Reclamation Sage against Sneak and Black/Red reanimator. Sneak will often board in Grafdiggers Cage/blood moon, and hitting a sneak attack will happen occasionally and buy you a turn or two.

Black/Red runs a higher # of action spells since they don't have ponder and brainstorm, so they're running 2-4 Animate Dead/bring in pithing needles for deathrite/scooze, so sometimes rec sage can pull a game in your favor. It's not the best card in the matchup most of the time, but when you need it, you'll be glad it's there

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    Regarding Reanimator and Show and Tell, I board in 1 Ooze (not included in Show and Tell), 3 Thoughtseize, 2 Therapy, 3 Surgical, and 1 Leovold (total of 10 cards). I take out 3 Visionary, 3 Symbiote, 1 birchclore (I run 2), 1 Heritage Druid, 1 Nettle Sentinel, 1 Sage. I prioritize mulling for disruption against these decks to force my opponent to mull for a hand that can beat hate. Reanimator is easier to beat than Show and Tell. Just pray they don't kill you on turn 1.
    I would rather board out simbios than visionaries, surely simbio is the star during glimpses but I find myself grinding in those mu most of the times and a free card helps quite a lot, I find simbio to be nearly useless if we are not going off anyway, and boarding out visionaries makes it even worse.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Just a note: I see people sideboarding out birchlore a lot when bringing in black spells. That is like cutting a bayou :/ Cut almost anything but birchlore if your plan is to make them discard or to abrupt decay their stuff..

May 2016
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Shagstaman View Post
    Just a note: I see people sideboarding out birchlore a lot when bringing in black spells. That is like cutting a bayou :/ Cut almost anything but birchlore if your plan is to make them discard or to abrupt decay their stuff..
    Postboard I almost always want to see Birchlore over Heritage Druid. The ability to play a couple creatures on t2-3 with your land drops and still have the colored mana to be proactive with your decays/additional discard is huge, and against decks with heavy removal tapping two elves is often much more realistic than tapping three.

Quote Originally Posted by abombdiggity View Post
    Postboard I almost always want to see Birchlore over Heritage Druid. The ability to play a couple creatures on t2-3 with your land drops and still have the colored mana to be proactive with your decays/additional discard is huge, and against decks with heavy removal tapping two elves is often much more realistic than tapping three.
    agreed. i always go down to 1 heritage before touching any birchlores.

This weekend I played a 49 players tournament to a 5-8 place.

I played Ruric Thar and 2 decays md .
    I have been playing with 3 Quirion Rangers and never felt like I needed a 4th.

I completely dropped Progenitus, but with the rise of DnT I thinking about using him again. I belive it was its just bad luck but I had a terrible time playing against them.

Also played a Leovold MD and it was really good, replacing itself or drawing me some cards. In general I felt like he was buying me some time to combo.

May 2016
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Oshikuru View Post
    Also played a Leovold MD and it was really good, replacing itself or drawing me some cards. In general I felt like he was buying me some time to combo.
    Nice job! To piggyback off of the Leovold discussion- I've been testing a Leovold online since Louisville (probably 200 or so games, the first 40 or so with a tropical island, although I don't believe it's necessary and have since cut it).

No doubt Leovold is a very powerful card. In some matchups, he completely takes over the game and demands and answer, and even when he's removed he manages to replace himself. I'd probably even test a second out of the SB if it wasn't like 40 tickets online.

The interaction between Leovold and Tendrils of Agony is really want I want to talk about. I've picked up a few Mindbreak Trap- drawing 10+ into a game breaking spell like MBT feels really good, especially when Leo is also shutting off their cantrips and making their discard worse. In probably 35% of the games where I resolved a leovold and they were able to combo, I would draw a MBT and just win. However, Trap is also very narrow- other than Storm variants, I only bring it in against RB reanimator and Show and Tell variants that utilize Omniscience. Has anyone else been testing Mindbreak, and if so, do you think it's worthwhile? I've liked it enough to pick up my two foil copies, and there's no doubt it's impactful in the matchups we want it, but it's really only good against 15-20% of the meta at most, and there will be times I run through 3 or so leagues and don't touch it at all.

How are you all dealing with R/G lands? This match-up has been a real drag for me. Yes, Deathrite Shaman and Scavenging Ooze help, as does Surgical Extraction. But, I've lost the last 8 of 9 matches to them and was quite lucky to win the one match.

It's like fighting a spider; it attacks from multiple angles, ensnaring us at every turn. They have the (at times excruciatingly fast) Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage combo that sends a flying, indestructible 20/20 tentacled avatar at us. They wreck our creature base with an ever-repeating Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows romance or a singular (easily-found) Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (in the latter case, it encumbers our mana advantage). They make our attacks useless with Glacial Chasm or slow our attacks down with Maze of Ith. And they are getting the resources they need from their library (Crop Rotation and Gamble), they are getting the resources they need from their graveyard (Life from the Loam), and they are putting lots of cards onto the battlefield (Manabond and Exploration.) Lands even has the audacity to attack our lands with Wasteland, Rishadan Port, and Ghost Quarter.

Has anyone found an effective strategy against this compelling foe?

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by Oshikuru View Post
    I completely dropped Progenitus, but with the rise of DnT I thinking about using him again. I belive it was its just bad luck but I had a terrible time playing against them.
    Elves has a positive match up against Dnt. No need to bring progenitus or any other sideboard card.

May 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    Elves has a positive match up against Dnt. No need to bring progenitus or any other sideboard card.
    I definitely don't agree with this; I would bring in Abrupt Decay and any Null Rod/Pithing Needle if I have them in my sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by henweigh View Post
    How are you all dealing with R/G lands? This match-up has been a real drag for me. Yes, Deathrite Shaman and Scavenging Ooze help, as does Surgical Extraction. But, I've lost the last 8 of 9 matches to them and was quite lucky to win the one match.

It's like fighting a spider; it attacks from multiple angles, ensnaring us at every turn. They have the (at times excruciatingly fast) Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage combo that sends a flying, indestructible 20/20 tentacled avatar at us. They wreck our creature base with an ever-repeating Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows romance or a singular (easily-found) Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (in the latter case, it encumbers our mana advantage). They make our attacks useless with Glacial Chasm or slow our attacks down with Maze of Ith. And they are getting the resources they need from their library (Crop Rotation and Gamble), they are getting the resources they need from their graveyard (Life from the Loam), and they are putting lots of cards onto the battlefield (Manabond and Exploration.) Lands even has the audacity to attack our lands with Wasteland, Rishadan Port, and Ghost Quarter.

Has anyone found an effective strategy against this compelling foe?
    Get a cradle/heritage up asap to counter tabernacle, if you have a quick hand is unreasonable for them to keep up with it, playing shaman of the pack/progenitus also helps immensly.
    Most of the times the mu gets bad if you let them get to the late game, if it happens it's reassy helpful to keep your dryad arbor hidden in the deck and looking for a 5 mana order play, in my experience this mu is decently good, unless you let them get in control.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

I 4-0'ed my last local weekly tournament and faced the following:

rd 1 BR reanimator: 2-1
    rd 2 ANT: 2-0
    rd 3 DNT: 2-0
    rd 4 Eldrazi: 2-1

Funny thing happened on my game 1 against reanimator. I was able to win game 1 due to being on the play and having a caverned deathrite against the chancellor trigger. I got turn 1'ed on my game 2 (LOL). On my game 3, Leovold, surgical and deathrite made it difficult for my opponent. I'm still happy with Leovold but I've moved him to the SB from the main deck.

Thread Information