Page 320 of 382 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370 ... LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 7635

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

Creature - Cat Berserker
    Jan 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Re: [Primer] Elves!

I'm planning to give the Opposition list a try, but I don't have the Usea so I'm cutting it for a fourth Trop probably. I also don't have Thorn of Amethyst, but I actually think putting forces in the board is reasonable in this deck (Once you board them in, if you don't cut Shardless/Oracle/Probe/Opposition, you're up to 19 blue cards for it).

The thing that really has me thinking though is splashing blue in Chaos Elves to run Coiling Oracle as Visionaries 5-8. I felt that the deck often needed a bit more gas when I was running it, and Visionary was the best card in a *lot* of hands. Plus, splashing blue opens up some countermagic options in the sideboard to help with some of our worse matchups (not Force, but maybe Swan Song/Spell Pierce/Flusterstorm).

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Simply because I cannot quote this, I have to do it this way:

A) So you want to tell me that all metagame issues Elves have can be solved by running enough Sylvan Messenger, Masked Admirers, & Co?
    You can NOT STOP instant Teminus by trying to tap SDT.
    Cards like that would actually be absurd against Miracles (see even the percentage points gained by Chaos Elves by adding a few fun-ofs and cutting natural order). I often lose games where I grind them almost all the way down and make them play 3-4 Terminus over the course of the game.
    BORN TO PLOW
    META IS A FUCK
    GRIP EM ALL 1989
    I am green man
    410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Capt4in View Post
    I'm planning to give the Opposition list a try, but I don't have the Usea so I'm cutting it for a fourth Trop probably. I also don't have Thorn of Amethyst, but I actually think putting forces in the board is reasonable in this deck (Once you board them in, if you don't cut Shardless/Oracle/Probe/Opposition, you're up to 19 blue cards for it).

The thing that really has me thinking though is splashing blue in Chaos Elves to run Coiling Oracle as Visionaries 5-8. I felt that the deck often needed a bit more gas when I was running it, and Visionary was the best card in a *lot* of hands. Plus, splashing blue opens up some countermagic options in the sideboard to help with some of our worse matchups (not Force, but maybe Swan Song/Spell Pierce/Flusterstorm).

Cards like that would actually be absurd against Miracles (see even the percentage points gained by Chaos Elves by adding a few fun-ofs and cutting natural order). I often lose games where I grind them almost all the way down and make them play 3-4 Terminus over the course of the game.
    to be fair the hierarch did a lot of overtime producing the much needed blue mana. just a heads up.
    -rob

Creature - Cat Berserker
    Jan 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    to be fair the hierarch did a lot of overtime producing the much needed blue mana. just a heads up.
    Fair. I figure if the only maindeck blue is the Oracles in Chaos Elves, you can jam like 2 trops (going down to 1 Bayou, since you won't be relying on black sideboard cards as much) and also have the Caverns to help out.
    BORN TO PLOW
    META IS A FUCK
    GRIP EM ALL 1989
    I am green man
    410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Capt4in View Post
    Thats why I see problems with the plan to kill them with 1-2 1/1 creatures. It takes too long
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the black in the deck supports therapy and abrupt decay. i had considered dropping an opposition for a 2nd symbiote, but i think i'm going to cut 1 visionary. 7 EtB effects on critters + 2 symbiote should play out better.

i could be wrong, but i'd rather have a game breaking card. (i know it's easy to drop a probe, therapy, or decay but i think they provide enough value since you don't really have a game over the turn something resolves other than GSZ for 8.)
    -rob

We are on the Elves thread?

Play Coiling Oracle, yeah maybe mostly with Sylvan (x2 md) but Oppo? Seriously?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

What are Cons for Opposition vs Natural Order ?

It's a good card when you are good. With Natural Order you can instant win, you can tutor Progenitus (win condition) after a big removal, it's a very good top deck.. etc

Never I play Opposition in Elves, Never.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

as mentioned earlier, this deck should more likely be compared with chaos elves than natural order elves.

if you are going into a combo heavy meta, stick with the natural order elves, if it's infested with miracles, try one of the others.
    -rob

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Not sure how you want to stop Terminus with Opposition ?

I played Opposition in Urza's block when it was in T2, then Extented, It require a lot of creatures wth value (ramp / draw) which is in total "opposition" to how you need to play against Miracles - never overextend.

I would rather go to U/g and add permission to fight against sweepers. Swang Song / new Envelop etc.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

The way to theoretically stop/hinder Terminus is to e.g. tap their Top at their end of turn. Or tap all their white in their Upkeep if their don't have a Top.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'm hoping to get some playtesting in vs a competent miracles player with the opposition deck soon. at the minimum i am visualizing playing lots of cantrip guys and relying on garruk wildspeaker. this way i don't have to empty hand completely at any point. if an opposition resolves with a few creatures out at least you can force to keep their taps topped as julian said.

i have most of the stuff on modo but don't have cradles on there, i'll see what i can do.
    -rob

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Played against Joe Lossett in the Legacy Mediocre League last night. I really didn't play optimally and even committed a huge blunder in game1 by carelessly setting the Cavern to Elves. But I think it's still an interesting watch overall. Check it out!

You can find my decklist I registered to the LML 7 weeks ago on our website.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Sep 2013
    Under hill.

There really is a greatest elves player . . . Win or lose: it is always a treat to watch you play, Julian.

Jan 2015
    Boston, MA

I'm a Miracles player who has just bought into Elves, are there any good sources for some deck primers, common lines, etc? I have figured out a lot of them from playing against Elves over the years, but it'd be nice to get a refresher.

I have finally acquired 4 Gaea's and will be playing Elves this weekend at the SCG Classic in Columbus!! I've been testing with Natural Order vs. local players and have done well with this version BUT we don't have have any miracle or grixis players. My question would it be better to play Chaos Elves in a more wide open environment like the SCG Classic? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Julian : What do you choose on CoS? Elf? I can't fu***** read :p I think you choose Elf. So :

It's hard to know (because Cotv Vs Counter) but I think named Elf on CoS in g1 is a missplay and you loose for that.

You have Sage in board and Symbiote in hand why named Elves? At this time, you want to play Glimpse next turn and go go go. Choose Elf doesn't help you for this plan.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    committed a huge blunder in game1 by carelessly setting the Cavern to Elves.
    That's exactly why I lost g1. I realized it when it happened but just played too careless.

The correct play would have been to not play Cavern at all there.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Site Contributor
    Mar 2013
    Lyngby, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by bcoutlander View Post
    I have finally acquired 4 Gaea's and will be playing Elves this weekend at the SCG Classic in Columbus!! I've been testing with Natural Order vs. local players and have done well with this version BUT we don't have have any miracle or grixis players. My question would it be better to play Chaos Elves in a more wide open environment like the SCG Classic? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would play the version that you have the most reps with. It is by far the most important thing in Legacy.
    "At the end of the day though, this deck is about trolling the format. If Daze helps you with that, go for it. TinFins isn't about a decklist, it's about a state of mind."

The correct play would have been to not play Cavern at all there.

Yeah probably or named insect for Symbiote with Sage on the board

Thread Information