Page 12 of 382 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Elves!

Re: [DTB] Elves!

(decks that pack Humility often run 4 Terminus in their 75)

so Humility is a bitch to you. ok

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    EDIT: And stuff a Viridian Shaman somewhere in there. Just wrong to not play him. No Shaman maindeck, you lose to one Souls token carrying Jitte. You don't want to lose to one Souls token carrying #Ī!&!*!.
    With Pridemage/Sliver maindeck you also donīt lose against a flying Jitte and have an edge against rare stuff like Moat, Counterbalance, Energy Field, Enchantress etc. For game 1 (with less disruption): Lingering Souls + Jitte + Attack, are more than enough time for us to end the game with a successful Comboturn.

I think, if you fear Deathblade/Stoneblade decks, Viridian Shaman is a good sideboard option (and can win random games against MUD/ UB Tezz / or other Chalice&Co decks). As i said, game 1 we are most of the time fast enough to avoid an active jitte, so we need stuff like Viridian Shaman only game 2 and 3. After boarding, most games goes longer because we have to fight through more disruption. In these cases we need something to fight back. As discussed before, Viridian Shaman, Cabal Therapy, Abrupt Decay, NO+Prog, Ooze etc are enough options to grind out longer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    how do you deal with a resolved Humility?
    I have 1 Oblivion Ring (mainly against Show&Tell, but also helps against Blazing Archon and stuff like Moat, Peacekeeper, Iona, Elesh Norn etc.) On the one hand it is a lucky one off, but i donīt have more sideboard slots. On the other hand we are a combodeck with a very good card draw engine.

I agree with Zombie, normally Humility isnīt so scary with 30-32 creatures, you can still cast most stuff (a 1/1 for 1 mana is ok) and can cast Glimpsechains. If you fear Humility you can also add 1 Pendelhaven (i had good results with it) or sideboard cards like Krosan Grip. Sure Humility + Jitte is a nasty combo, but in this case you can also draw an uncounterable answer for the equipment (Abrupt Decay) and overwhelm the opponent with an 1/1 army.

EDIT: Terminus + Humility, in this case they also have Counterbalance etc. Miracle is a difficult matchup, you need a balanced play between enough pressure and something to recover (means donīt overextend).
    TEAM MtG Berlin

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    Miracle is a difficult matchup, you need a balanced play between enough pressure and something to recover (means donīt overextend).
    You should never overextend, even if the deck wants to go that way. That applies to any deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Random thought that struck me reading old articles: If we still played the Entity win, the deck has enough spells to combo-Deathrite people dead through a Moat or somesuch.Probably not relevant at all, but an interesting curiosity nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Jun 2009
    Quad Cities, IA

I just played against the new Thespians/Depths deck and got worked game one because I couldn't interact with their combo at all. Games two and three, I brought in Therapy for Living Wish and hitting that really messed up his deck. I'd like to play this more, but that's what worked for me if you get a chance to play it.
    The Quad Cities: twice as nice as the Twin Cities.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

It's in my opinion that G2 against combo, removing the master key in their combo with cabal therapy is how it's done.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    It's in my opinion that G2 against combo, removing the master key in their combo with cabal therapy is how it's done.
    Requires that you know, what to name with therapy to snatch their most valuable card in hand, something that sadly even the majority of combo players is not aware off ... lol
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Random thought that struck me reading old articles: If we still played the Entity win, the deck has enough spells to combo-Deathrite people dead through a Moat or somesuch.Probably not relevant at all, but an interesting curiosity nonetheless.
    You can still glimpse combo through a moat (and other similar cards) with a non-sick DRS, untap effects, and birchlore ranger. After drawing up a good chunk of your deck, it's easy to drain for 8 on your turn and another 8 on your opponent's turn with symbiote. If extra sorceries are needed, you can always discard extra gszs at the end of your turn and drain again on their upkeep. Even with a sick DRS, your opponent is still on a 1 turn clock (assuming you've played all of the symbiotes and quirion rangers in your deck out).

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Before somebody says this line of play only works every once in a blue moon: I've seen it happen more often than you'd think. Sadly, most of the time it was people giving up midcombo without realizing all they'd had to do was to discard their GSZ's at end of turn.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

TIL: Machineguns are better than they seem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

On the subject of miracles, why aren't people just running more cavern of souls?
    Legacy:
    Combo Elves
    WB Tokens
    Cheeri0s

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

TIL: Machineguns are better than they seem.
    Ok, that the fuck does TIL stand for? I'm only used to seeing it in mortgage banking where it stands for Truth in Lending. Now I've seen it like five times today and I'm lost.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Ok, that the fuck does TIL stand for? I'm only used to seeing it in mortgage banking where it stands for Truth in Lending. Now I've seen it like five times today and I'm lost.
    Today I Learned
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

TIL stands for today I learned.

Also on the subject of cavern, sure you can name elf and play out one uncounterable creature per turn. But that means you have to cut down on fetches or duals or cradles, you can't have your symbiote a come down off it, and you can't glimpse chain with only 1 uncounterable creature. It's better just to play bayous, have a pridemage/sliver in the board, and have some number of abrupt decays.
    You can't pull out the RUG from under me, CUZ I AM THE RUG!

Mar 2013

On Cavern.

Playing Goblins or Stompy it has its place. In Elves what does it get you? You have one critter a turn of the 3 you play unable to be counted, only if it starts in your opening hand and it limits what you can play... I mean when you look at your opening hand what do you want to see, the card that makes everything simple but offers only a colour or two or do you want:

A single creature unable to be counted
    Unable to play spells off it (GSZ first turn or without a mana dork)
    Unable to play the non chosen creature type
    Able to be eaten by wasteland

Cavern does not suit this deck. It runs too few mana that have other roles to fill. If you really wanted to run them I would take out your Cradles, you need everything else to either be a fetch target or be a fetch.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

No cavern.
    It's anti-synergic.
    And please. Do not cut Gaea's Cradle. Nothing is more enjoyable than using your last remaining G to recycle your used cradle for a new one mid-way thru a Glimpse chain.

Also. I do believe now there should be a test before playing in a tournament with Elves!

Q : Do you think you can do worse than Jackie Lee?

A : Yes? Can you count to 20? Here's Mono-R Burn. Play that instead.

I'm still astonished by how bad she played it.

Mar 2013

Hay, I play burn too... Just a question, it's 17, 18, 20 right?

Also I was not meaning for anyone to really cut cradle. I just wanted to point out that all you could do to play cavern in this deck was to cut cradle. A statement to prove how silly the idea is.

Lastly, does anyone have a link to this video? I see you all talk about it buy I have not seen it yet.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Lastly, does anyone have a link to this video? I see you all talk about it buy I have not seen it yet.
    Look for the last SCG Sunday.

Round 5 I believe.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

I had to go away... could not watch Jackie... too painful. But also the other guy had no clue what he was doing... lol.
    If people want to take difficult decks they don't know properly to a tournament that is fine...but why do you send those on camera!?!
    Currently playing: Elves

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

I think we (I?) ranted enough about that dark day in Elves! history.

Didn't Danyul or somebody else had the whole thing foiled?

I was thinking about a weird interaction yesterday with [card]Chord Of Calling[/card], Cratherhoof Behemoth and Ensnaring Bridge.

Situation :

Let's say you have 1 card in hand(CoC) and 6-8 Elves (1/1,1/2) and Ensnaring Bridge in play.
    Declare Attackers Step, swing with the good old green swarm
    Declare Blockers Step, opponent block everything, thinking you're doing a desperate swing.
    Before Damage Step, Chords of Calling, fetching my good friend Hoofy Doofy, EtB trigger, gives between +7/+7 or +9/+9 tramble.
    Pass Priority.

Will it work or I'm just going way off the road?

Thread Information