Thread: [Cube] A_Z's Peasant Cube

[Cube] A_Z's Peasant Cube

I wanted to make a commons/uncommons cube with draftable archetypes. Here's my first draft. Feedback is appreciated:

White:

Doomed Traveller
    Mother of Runes
    Ramosian Sergeant
    Sunscape Apprentice
    Alabaster Mage
    Amrou Scout
    Azorius Arrester
    Capashen Unicorn
    Defiant Falcon
    Jotun Grunt
    Knight of the Holy Nimbus
    Kor Skyfisher
    Mycologist
    Stormfront Pegasus
    Suture Priest
    Veteran Armorer
    War Priest of Thune
    Whipcorder
    Amrou Seekers
    Attended Knight
    Aven Riftwatcher
    Burrenton Bombadier
    Crusader of Odric
    Defiant Vanguard
    Emancipation Angel
    Fiend Hunter
    Flickerwisp
    Icatian Crier
    Niblis of the Mist
    Ramosian Captain
    Saltfield Recluse
    Seller of Songbirds
    Stonecloaker
    Venerable Monk
    Ballista Squad
    Griffin Protector
    Meadowboon
    Pallid Mycoderm
    Phantom General
    Ramosian Revivalist
    Cloudgoat Ranger
    Stormfront Riders

Reconnaissance
    Intangible Virtue
    Bound in Silence
    Oblivion Ring
    Faith's Fetters

Path to Exile
    Disenchant
    Moment of Heroism
    Momentary Blink
    Otherworldly Journey
    Roar of the Kha
    Test of Faith
    Blinding Beam
    Midnight Haunting
    Radiant's Judgement

Battle Screech
    Captain's Call
    Spectral Procession

Blue:

Faerie Imposter
    Nephalia Smuggler
    Stormscape Apprentice
    Arctic Merfolk
    Augur of Bolas
    Azure Mage
    Dream Stalker
    Fog Bank
    Guardian of Solitude
    Hada Spy Patrol
    Looter il-Kor
    Cloud Spirit
    Dream Thief
    Drift of Phantoms
    Latch Seeker
    Man-o'-War
    Mistblade Shinobi
    Pestermite
    Scroll Thief
    Stormbound Geist
    Wall of Frost
    Archaemancer
    Keymaster Rogue
    Latchkey Faerie
    Moon Heron
    Nevermaker
    Tower Geist
    Battleground Geist
    Infiltrator il-Kor
    Mnemonic Wall
    Mulldrifter
    Teller of Tales
    Aethersnipe
    Sire of the Storm

Sensory Deprivation
    Escape Routes
    Propaganda

Blustersquall
    Consuming Vortex
    Counterspell
    Echoing Truth
    Negate
    Peer Through Depths
    Sever Soul
    Stream of Consciousness
    Capsize
    Forbid
    Forbidden Alchemy
    Ghostly Flicker
    Rewind
    Condescend
    Repeal

Artful Dodge
    Hands of Binding
    Compulsive Research
    Deep Analysis
    Into the Void
    Last Thoughts
    Petals of Insight
    Switcheroo

Black:

Facevaulter
    Festering Goblin
    Nightscape Apprentice
    Plagued Rusalka
    Prickly Boggart
    Abyssal Gatekeeper
    Ashen-Skin Zubera
    Blightspeaker
    Child of Night
    Dunerider Outlaw
    Frogtosser Banneret
    Golgari Thug
    Keeper of the Dead
    Nezumi Bonereader
    Nezumi Graverobber
    Onyx Mage
    Oona's Blackguard
    Rathi Trapper
    Reassembling Skeleton
    Auntie's Snitch
    Big Game Hunter
    Devouring Swarm
    Faerie Macabre
    Fleshbag Marauder
    Giant Scorpion
    Liliana's Specter
    Mad Auntie
    Phyrexian Rager
    Stinkweed Imp
    Thief of Hope
    Vampire Nighthawk
    Abyssal Specter
    Falkenrath Aristocrat
    Gravedigger
    Keening Banshee
    Marsh Flitter
    Stinkdrinker Bandit
    Plague Dogs
    Shriekmaw
    Skyshroud Vampire
    Warren Pilferers

Tortured Existence
    Animate Dead
    Sinister Strength
    Malevolent Awakening
    Stab Wound

Doom Blade
    Rend Flesh
    Strangling Soot
    Death Denied

Bone Splinters
    Raven's Crime
    Disturbed Burial
    Night's Whisper
    Infest
    Syphon Life
    Waking Nightmare
    Morsel Theft
    Noggin Whack
    Shadow Slice

Red:

Goblin Bushwhacker
    Goblin Sledder
    Thunderscape Apprentice
    Bloodmark Mentor
    Crimson Mage
    Ember Hauler
    Goblin Lookout
    Goblin Shortcutter
    Goblin Wardriver
    Hearth Kami
    Mogg Flunkies
    Mogg War Marshal
    Ogre Sentry
    Skinbrand Goblin
    Sparksmith
    Aether Membrane
    Arms Dealer
    Chandra's Spitfire
    Fire Imp
    Flowstone Wall
    Ghost-Lit Raider
    Goblin Matron
    Goblin Warchief
    Guttersnipe
    Rummaging Goblin
    Avalanche Riders
    Beetleback Chief
    Bladetusk Boar
    Flametongue Kavu
    Goblin Battle Jester
    Goblin Ringleader
    Tar Pitcher
    Fire Servant
    Ingot Chewer
    Pardic Dragon
    Ripscale Predator

Goblin Warrens
    Pyrohemia

Brute Force
    Burst Lightning
    Lightning Bolt
    Weapon Surge
    Ancient Grudge
    Glacial Ray
    Annihilating Fire
    Staggershock
    Punish the Enemy
    Flame Javelin
    Street Spasm

Faithless Looting
    Firebolt
    Krenko's Command
    Nightbird's Clutches
    Recoup
    Act of Treason
    Stone Rain
    Empty the Warrens
    Tectonic Rift
    Lava Flow
    Fanning the Flames

Green:

Groundskeeper
    Hana Kami
    Thallid
    Thornscape Apprentice
    Brindle Shoat
    Dripping-Tongue Zubera
    Frontier Guide
    Jade Mage
    Loam Dweller
    Sakura-Tribe Elder
    Strangleroot Geist
    Thallid Shell-Dweller
    Thornwield Archer
    Transluminant
    Wall of Roots
    Carven Caryatid
    Elder Pine of Jukai
    Eternal Witness
    Farhaven Elf
    Fierce Empath
    Ghost-Lit Nourisher
    Gnarled Mass
    Golgari Brownscale
    Kami of the Hunt
    Orchard Spirit
    Thallid Germinator
    Tilling Treefolk
    Burr Grafter
    Greater Mossdog
    Imperiasaur
    Kami of the Tended Garden
    Masked Admirers
    Penumbra Spider
    Sporesower Thallid
    Acidic Slime
    Briarknit Kami
    Forked-Branch Garami
    Savage Thallid
    Sporoloth Ancient
    Stingerfling Spider
    Moss Kami
    Nightsoil Kami
    Jungle Weaver
    Krosan Tusker
    Walker of the Grove

Rancor
    Spider Umbra
    Moldervine Cloak

Kodama's Might
    Vines of Vastwood
    Sprout Swarm
    Wear Away
    Beast Within
    Gnaw to the Bone
    Reach of Branches

Prey Upon
    Travel Preparation
    Kodama's Reach
    Search for Tomorrow
    Overrun

Colorless:

Bonesplitter
    Relic of Progenitus
    Skullclamp
    Azorius Signet
    Boros Signet
    Dimir Signet
    Golgari Signet
    Gruul Signet
    Izzet Signet
    Orzhov Signet
    Rakdos Signet
    Selesnya Signet
    Simic Signet
    Vessel of Endless Rest
    Icy Manipulator
    Signal Pest
    Myr Sire
    Pilgrim's Eye
    Pierce Strider
    Ulamog's Crusher

Azorius Guildgate
    Boros Guildgate
    Dimir Guildgate
    Golgari Guildgate
    Gruul Guildgate
    Izzet Guildgate
    Orzhov Guildgate
    Rakdos Guildgate
    Selesnya Guildgate
    Simic Guildgate

Multicolor:

Shambling Shell
    Drooling Groodion
    Worm Harvest

Murderous Redcap
    Terminate
    Blightning

Species Gorger
    Simic Charm
    Temporal Spring

Behemoth Sledge
    Selesnya Evangel
    Juniper Order Ranger

Skarrgan Skybreaker
    Firespout
    Frenzied Tilling

Sunhome Guildmage
    Boros Charm
    Lightning Helix

Mask of Riddles
    Recoil
    Call of the Nightwing

Gelectrode
    Wee Dragonauts
    Electrolyze

Agent of Masks
    Pillory of the Sleepless
    Zealous Persecution

Mistmeadow Witch
    Lyev Skynight
    Sky Hussar

Current as of 30 June 2013.

Re: [Cube] A_Z's Peasant Cube

Archetypes:

White-Blue: Blink – I love me some incremental card advantage decks, so my Cube has a bunch. This is the first one. The idea is to use Flicker/Slide/self-bounce effects to milk creatures with CiP abilities for value. Can splash red for FtK or Riders.

Blue-Black: Rogues – Really more like UB Evasion With Tribal Themes. Rogues and a light smattering of Ninjas and evasive guys, plus discard for card advantage. Might need to be pushed.

Black-Red: Goblins – Was originally BR Vampires, but I liked how Goblins played in Modern Masters and this tribe gives me more to work with anyway. Swarm aggro with a light sacrificial theme and some recursion. May be too pushed.

Red-Green: Dinosaurs – Was originally RG Land Destruction, morphed into this over time. Large finishers and light LD give it a great late game, and it can buttress its early game either with Goblins or token makers.

Green-White: Tokens – Thallids provide the bulk of the green tokens, while the white ones are a smattering of different types. Can finish with Overrun or Intangible Virtue plus flying tokens. Might need a little more support.

White-Black: Rebels – Card advantage-focused aggro. Definitely needs help finishing games, but there’s not much to work with in these rarities as far as creatures are concerned. One option is to do the “all white creatures are Rebels” errata, but I’d prefer to avoid that if possible. Some help would be appreciated.

Black-Green: Dredge – This one’s interesting since it was Reanimator for a little while and has since changed to this deck because I love the Dredge mechanic. It can dip into some Spiritcraft themes (more on that in a moment) to leverage Soulshift but mostly just grinds out long games with big green guys and recursion. Need to test this one.

Green-Blue: Spiritcraft – This color combination had no identity for a while since green and blue don’t have a ton of overlap other than, “Play creatures! Get cards!” I tried blending the two Simic iterations but the various +1/+1 counter mono-color cards just ended up in other decks and this theme wasn’t particularly draftable. While trying to tie Dredge more closely into the Cube design I hit upon Soulshift and decided to run with it. GU gets Spirits (bleeds into Dredge) and Arcane (bleeds into UR) and relies on triggering Spiritcraft effects with decent bodies. Need to test this one.

Blue-Red: Spells – Comes up rarely since most of its cards are good in other decks in these colors, but it can happen. The defensive red and blue cards support a slower play style. You can finish with Fanning the Flames or lock down the board with Capsize until you can stick a Pardic Dragon or Ulamog’s Crusher. Gelectrode is fun as all hell. Hard to pull off but that’s probably okay.

Red-White: …Swarm Aggro? – This color combination has no identity right now. I was thinking of taking a page out of Modern Masters’s playbook and making it Giants, but without multiple Blind Spot Giants or Stinkdrinker Daredevils the deck is mostly 3/3s for four. As it stands, you can mix Goblins and Rebels to make a very fast aggro deck, but that mostly only happens if those two decks are somewhat open. Not sure if this color combination needs to be a thing, but I would like it to have at least a little bit of its own identity.

Notes:
    • This cube is 360 cards: 30 colorless (artifact, land), 30 multicolor (three of each combination), and 60 of each color. There are no repeats of cards. I want to keep the cube at this size so that every card is opened to give the most support to each archetype.
    • This version is still in the early testing stages. I’ll freely acknowledge that some of these decks aren’t balanced right now, but I’m not sure how much time I’ll have in the next couple of months to test them. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    • White may need the most work of any single color. WU could probably use more guys to profitably blink, WB needs a way to properly end games, RW is just…whatever RW is, and GW may need more playables.
    • The Guildgates are an experiment in mana fixing right now. I could see cutting them for +5 mana-fixing artifacts, +5 monocolor lands (Dakmor Salvage is an easy addition here), but I want to see if this is fine first. Modern Masters used a combination of Vivid lands, the Alara basic landcyclers, and some green ramp to fix multicolor decks, but I’m not sure I want to follow in its footsteps closely on this one. I don’t really want Five Color Greed to be something draftable super often, though I do want people to be able to splash lightly for a third color if they want. Help would be appreciated from those with experience in this area.

There's been a bunch of updates - the current list is here, and I'll edit the OP later. The biggest news is the increase in the number of colorless slots and the replacement of the Guildgates with real lands. There's also a number of tweaks to various other components of the Cube but - for now - no major overhauls.

However, one thing I'm considering is replacing the Rebels archetype with a Bleeder archetype. There are two main problems with the Rebels deck right now: the first is that its curve tops out at four and most of its evasive options are 2/x creatures for three, which means the deck has a lot of problems finishing games unless it picks up some non-Rebel finishers. The second - and perhaps larger - problem is that the Rebels are split between Guys That Search For Rebels and Creatures With The Rebel Subtype That Are Totally Reasonable In Most White And/Or Black Decks, which means that even if WB is open, people may still be taking all of your good Rebels. The result is that WB decks are rarely dedicated Rebels decks and more often WB Goodstuff decks with a couple of random Rebels thrown in.

One potential fix is to just suck it up and toss in a bunch of mediocre Rebels and Changelings to give the deck a critical mass of creatures that people will pass or wheel to you, but that still doesn't solve the first issue of the deck just running out of steam if its 2/x attack squad stalls. It also means that a lot of space in white and black ends up being dedicated to cards that no one particularly wants, which is not really something I want to do when most of my moves have been to integrate adjacent archetypes with each other as much as possible.

That leaves the other potential fix, which is taking out the mediocre Rebels and Rebel searchers and replacing them with a different theme. A Bleeder control deck is possible in these colors given what I'm already running: a number of life gain cards, removal, and ways to abuse and reuse CiP abilities in white. Right now, I'm considering pulling additions from the following cards:

Auramancer
    Ajani's Pridemate
    Basilica Guards
    Knight of Obligation
    Porcelain Legionnaire
    Renewed Faith
    Pacifism
    Syndic of Tithes
    Temple Acolyte

Basilica Screecher
    Bloodhunter Bat
    Hissing Miasma
    Sign in Blood
    Syndicate Enforcer
    Thrull Parasite

Orzhov Guildmage
    Souls of the Faultless
    Vizkopa Confessor

Whitemane Lion
    Otherworldly Journey
    Grim Harvest

Ghost-Lit Stalker
    Kami of False Hope
    Revered Dead
    Voiceless Spirit
    Belfry Spirit

Not all of these are for the WB deck - Porcelain Legionnaire is for the RW deck, which has coalesced into Blitz Aggro - but most of them are there to enable a long-game control deck built around death of a thousand cuts (not the card).

I'll do a bit more testing, but right now Rebels is probably getting the axe.

The list has stabilized somewhat. I need to test it more, but I'm finishing my Masters and moving around and job hunting right now so it's really low on my list of priorities for the foreseeable future.

I tried changing WB to a bleeder deck along the lines of the previous post, but that just did not go well. It turns out that replacing archetype-specific cards with a bunch of cards that are good in basically every deck in one of that archetype's colors makes that archetype extremely difficult to draft even when it's ostensibly open. Whoda thunk it? So we're back to Rebels for the time being. WotC, please print more Rebels!

The following cards are currently on my watch list:

Abyssal Gatekeeper
    Aether Membrane
    Animate Dead
    Arctic Merfolk
    Capashen Unicorn
    Chandra's Spitfire
    Empty the Warrens
    Fire Servant
    Goblin Battle Jester
    Lava Flow
    Morsel Theft
    Niblis of the Mist
    Noggin Whack
    Pyrohemia
    Scroll Thief
    Ulamog's Crusher
    Weapon Surge

I'm more-or-less happy where green is right now, although red might need some help. The UR Spells deck is gradually turning into a Grixis control deck, which makes some of the red inclusions like Fire Servant or Chandra's Spitfire much more questionable. Goblins is pretty good, though I need to test more to figure out exactly how good. Rogues could use some more work, though many of the best options for that deck are multicolored.

As for each of the archetypes:

WU Blink: Solid. White might need a few more CiP dudes.
    UB Rogues: A little creature-light. The noncreature support is great, though.
    BR Goblins: Need to test.
    RG Dinosaurs: Might need more support. The Dinosaurs are there, but the ramp and LD aren't yet.
    GW Tokens: Seems about right.
    WB Rebels: Need to test.
    BG Dredge: Need to test.
    GU Spirits: The high end of the curve is great, but the low end needs some more work.
    UR Spells: Mostly Grixis now.
    RW Aggro: Seems about right.

Sep 2011

WB Rebels:

This is a bit niche, but you can run

Outrider en-Kor
    Task Force
    Worthy Cause

and play Clerics combo in cube as part of a rebels engine! There's of course room for Daru Spiritualist, Nomads en-Kor etc for redundancy!

Where are Thermal Glider and Nightwind Glider? Protection + evasion seem to be powerhouses in peasant magic, typically. Crimson Acolyte + Obsidian Acolyte also seem amazing.

Thermal Glider is in there, but Nightwing isn't because I wanted the WB deck to able to target all its own guys with black effects. It's not as relevant now since the only two cards that do that are Shade's Form and Onyx Mage, but I don't know that I particularly want two 2/1 Flying Pro: Color dudes in right now.

The life combo is actually on my shortlist of things to put in if it turns out that Rebels needs more help during the paper drafting stages. I'm still trying to assemble a full group of people who have the same availability and drafting experience, but with GP Oakland around the corner most of my friends want to test M14 Sealed/Draft.

Going with Clerics over Rebels as the W/B archetype was actually not something I had considered. The Acolytes seem like they would shut down R/x and B/x aggro decks a little harder than I would like, but a dedicated cleric deck would give me many more cards to work with than a Rebel deck right now. That said, most of those cards wouldn't overlap well with some of the adjacent archetypes: for example, many of the small Rebels are fine includes in RW Aggro, especially the two Kithkin and Aven Riftsweeper. The defensive stats on the Clerics are much better in the WU Blink deck, though, and I don't think that deck needs much more help - at least not in that way. Neither archetype particularly overlaps with GW, so that doesn't matter much. Something worth considering if the Rebels deck falls through.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Actually, doing a Gatherer search for clerics reveals that there's quite a few decent aggro clerics on the low end of the curve:

Icatian Priest
    Ajan's Sunstriker
    Inquisitor Exarch
    Order of Leitbur
    Soltari Priest
    Soltari Monk
    Syndic of Tithes
    Servant of Nefarox
    Soltari Visionary

Interesting.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 08-11-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Updates (somewhat overdue)!

I briefly tried the WB Clerics deck and it was functional if unexciting. The high toughness and damage prevention dudes, coupled with black's removal, made for a very grindy deck. The bigger problem was that it was more of an accidental deck than a deck you set out to draft: there weren't enough good cleric cards to attract you into the strategy, although you could end up there if you started out in another deck and then got cut. UG and UB are currently suffering from similar problems, by the way.

So I decided to make two big changes: allow doubles of certain cards and expand the size of the cube. That had a couple advantages: it meant I wasn't using every card in every draft, creating variety; I could give archetypes extra copies of key cards, improving them; I could flesh out Rebels a bit more by doubling up on the good Rebels without having to pack in the chaff ones to reach critical mass. It also allowed me to cut out some of the iffy cards I had to use to provide redundancy.

I'm generally happy with where the Cube is now, but there are a few lingering issues:

1) UB is still underpowered. The lack of good common/uncommon monocolored rogues forced me to morph the deck into a general UB evasion deck, but it's still kind of anemic.

2) UG needs some help. Like the clerics deck, it's lacking in clear first and second picks that draw you into the archetype. I think that's because the Spirits are generally underpowered, but I'm struggling to come up with an alternate UG deck that isn't "+1/+1 counters matter". That deck is certainly fine, but it really lacks a cohesive identity since basically all of its cards are good in any other green or blue deck.

3) Do I have too many creatures? Perusing other Peasant cubes on cubetutor leads me to believe I'm running an exceptionally high number of creatures. On the one hand, that's fine because many of my archetypes are creature-centric: BG Dredge, BR Goblins, WR Aggro, WU Blink...all of these decks want a big pile of creatures. However, when building decks after practice drafts I often find myself with 17+ creatures, squeezing out spells for most decks - the only notable exceptions are some B/x decks and UR. I tend to naturally draft creature-heavy decks in real draft formats, but that seems high even to me. What are other people's thoughts on this? I have a list of non-creature spells I could add if I need to shave the number of dudes.

EDIT: Come to think of it, RG is also lacking in first picks. RG is the Ramp/Dinosaurs deck.

Thread Information