Thread: [Deck] Les Deus

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

[Deck] Les Deus

The idea of this deck is (preferably using Aether Vial) to drop down powerful/cheap creatures who bring extra value to the board in the form of card advantage and other effects. These effects include: equipment tutoring/cheating into play, hand disruption, flashing back spells, creature removal, etc. As such, the deck should contain a high number of creatures with ETB/other effects, while preferably sharing the same 2 CC so Vial can be used on the majority of them.

Because the deck wants to put things into play for free/generate huge card advantage, we are less concerned with counterspells. The Force of Wills are mostly there for combo and to stop hand disruption from taking away our Vials.

Key cards:

This deck actually has a lot of different ‘key cards’, so finding the right numbers/combinations is up to the player. Here is a list of important cards/their uses, and why a player might want to include them.

Aether Vial

Aether Vial lets us get out key cards without tapping for mana, thus allowing us 2+ creatures out on turn two-three and after. Each creature should affect the board and generate card advantage in some way. This should be an auto-include of 4.

Deathrite Shaman

Deathrite Shaman helps us pop out more creatures/spells on turn 2 if we don’t drop a Vial. Can also be used for graveyard interaction, and getting those last couple of life points from an opponent. Great card.

Baleful Strix

This card acts as removal, an equipment carrier, AND it replaces itself. Since this deck is all about getting creatures into play that do things while generating card advantage, Strix should be an auto-include.

Stoneforge Mystic

Stoneforge Mystic into an equipment is an amazing play. Much like Vial, Mystic allows us to get things onto the battlefield without being concerned for their counterspell-safety. It also generates card advantage, which is just what we want from our creatures.

Snapcaster Mage

Using Vial to bring in Snapcaster Mage is great because you only need mana for the spell being flashbacked, instead of on that and Snapcaster’s CC. Along with Baleful Strix and Swords to Plowshares, Snapcaster Mage gives this deck a lot of interaction with creature-based decks. Not the best synergy with Deathrite Shaman, but a great card nonetheless.

Tidehollow Sculler

Tidehollow Sculler with Aether Vial is pretty awesome. A player can use them together to have an instant speed hand disruption attached to a body – do this after their draw step for extra value.

Dark Confidant

Dark Confidant follows the trend of card advantage through creatures that this deck is trying to achieve. It is often removed before gaining you an extra card or two however, and so I do not consider it a 4-of. That said however Bob rocks, and should at least be considered.

Phyrexian Revoker

Phyrexian Revoker is another creature with a powerful ETB effect.

Meddling Mage

Meddling Mage is a creature that can stop cards from being played! This should probably be a sideboard card, as it is best against combo decks.

Equipment:

3 pieces of equipment are recommended, as this deck is often drawing more cards and thus wants more of a chance to stop our Stoneforge Mystics from becoming Squires. The choices of Batterskull and Umezawa’s Jitte are pretty standard. A Sword of Fire and Ice is probably the best choice for the final spot, but is also the most replaceable.

Force of Will

Force of Will is an amazing card. It can stop an opponent from winning, protect your own things, and just let you play when tapped out. The normal drawback of Force is that you’re using 2 cards to stop 1. This deck is all about generating card advantage however, so the loss of a card is less noticeable.

Brainstorm

Brainstorm is Brainstorm.

Swords to Plowshares

Swords to Plowshares remains the best form of single creature removal in the game.

Sample Deck:

Land

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Karakas

Creatures

4 Baleful Strix
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Deathrite Shaman

Spells:

4 Aether Vial
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Sword to Plowshares
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Sideboard:

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Surgical Extraction

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Deck] Les Deus

Packing Aether Vial into an existing subtype of Stoneblade (Deathblade with SFM, SCM, DC and DRS) doesn't make it a new deck.

Moreover the Concept of Vial in decks without a real manacurve and the Maximum cost of 2 is questionable.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I would see your point if this deck didn't have a lot more creatures than Deathblade, and if it didn't play completely differently. Just because a deck contains some of the same creatures doesn't make it the same. Anyway, try it out :)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

was hoping for deus of calamity...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I agree that the deck is pretty similar to Deathblade at its core, except instead of a few Spell Pierce and Jace, it runs more creatures. I think Pierce is a bit more versatile than Baleful Strix, and Jace a better TD than that or Tidehollow. If you want to go the all-creature route, and I still think Jace should definitely be included, there was an old old deck called Eon Blue or something like that, with Confidant, Meddling Mage and Mother of Runes to keep them on table. It might be worth considering Mom so that your Strix becomes a real house. They still all get wiped by Terminus or Verdict. Good luck with it.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

I was playing around with something similar a couple months ago. I settled with something like this:

4x Dark Confidant
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Weathered Wayfarer
    4x Meddling Mage
    3x Vendilion Clique
    1x Qasali Pridemage

4x Aether Vial
    2x Umezawa's Jitte

4x Spell Pierce
    4x Swords to Plowshares

4x Cavern of Souls
    3x Wasteland
    1x Riptide Laboratory
    3x Flooded Strand
    2x Marsh Flats
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Island
    1x Plains
    3x Tundra
    1x Underground Sea
    1x Scrubland

SIDEBOARD:
    3x Fiend Hunter
    2x Rest in Peace
    2x Retribution of the Meek
    2x Mirran Crusader
    2x Aven Mindcensor
    1x Trinket Mage
    1x Meekstone
    1x Engineered Explosives

Obviously Snapcaster is an easy fit in the kind of shell. Baleful Strix and Deathrite could work too, but would be very Vial dependent. Wayfarer was cute, but could be cut. It was really really reallllllly good versus classic control strategies, but just flopped to more focused midrange creature decks.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I changed it to this:

Lands:

4 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Wasteland
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Academy Ruins

Total: 21

Creatures:

4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    1 Dark Confidant

Total: 17

Spells:

4 Aether Vial
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Unearth
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Total: 22

The deck played out quite nicely, but I got mana screwed more than once. Might just lose the Wastelands since I didn't really use them, and replace them with an Island and a Swamp. Then again, it coulda just been Cockatrice sucking at shuffle. Unearth is VERY nice with Strix and Snapcaster, as well as SFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    was hoping for deus of calamity...
    Yes. I too am saddened
    Creator of 'Nyxathid Goes To Town': the M:tG blog with the biggest LoLs

http://nyxathidgoestotown.wordpress.com/

Thread Information