Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: [Deck] Salvager Game (Golden Grahams)

Re: [Deck] Salvager Game (Golden Grahams)

Well, since I'm necroposting anyway...

I'm considering making an update of this deck for when I have some spare dollars to spend on Legacy now that Extended sucks. I love Lim-Dul's Vault, and it allows for a deck like this to run some maindeck untutorable solutions for problem maindeck cards in ADDITION to just being the best tutor around, especially in a deck with Gamekeepers.

A few things I've been thinking about were solutions for Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile, preferably ones that aren't especially mana intensive and are hate- and burn-resistant. Resisting hate is important for obvious reasons; if it crumbles when faced with cards that get boarded in against you anyway, it's of questionable use. Additionally, resisting burn is important in a format heavily dominated by zoo and goblins, so things like Eight-and-a-Half-Tails seem effective, but when you break down how much mana you'll need to spend to make sure the fox stays alive long enough to keep your Salvagers alive, you run into some potentially big numbers that are only reasonable if you're already going off.

The best solution I can think of after a bit of searching is Glory. Between Thoughtseize, Cabal Therapy, hard-cast for Therapy flashback (if they counter him, that works too xD), and of course LED pops, it seems like getting it into the yard isn't a big issue, and if you need to pop an LED to get him there, then you have the mana you need to activate it too. Also, being a creature means you can stick one in the sideboard for Living Wish. ALSO, if you're up against something with a slightly slower clock than Zoo, you might occasionally be able to use it to slowroll around a resolved Tormod's Crypt. After all, you already had to wish for it once, right? What's the worst they can do? You, on the other hand, get to slowly whittle them down with a 2/X of your choice and force their hand. Obviously that strategy isn't worth much if their creatures are bigger and/or more plentiful than yours.

The obvious drawback to Glory is the W in its activation cost, leading to further dilution of the mana base and limiting the number of times you can use it in a given turn. I'm torn on that subject, because I don't think it's worth adding plains or even white dual lands just for a single utility wish target, but I can't think of any more effective solution. Another issue to consider is that a smart player will be able to force you to make the worst play they can to get Glory to the yard, such as Thoughtseize on yourself, because having to wish for Glory removes the element of surprise that some of the more FoW-able solutions (instants, 8.5 Tails, etc) allow for.

As far as the weaker mana base goes, I'm hoping for some opinions on 4 Chromatic Stars. While testing, I'll be running BGuw for Lim-Dul's Vault and the ability to use Glory when I actually need it, leading to a mana base that is slightly weaker against Wasteland, but stronger against other hate in exchange. While I'm at it, though, I'm wondering if there isn't some other blue stuff I could make use of. I see some lists back in time running Gifts, which I like, and Ponder, which I don't, and a friend suggested Kira as a potential wish target in the place of Glory. I plan to test Gifts and Kira, but while I'm on the subject...any other suggestions?

Edited a grievous typo. >.> Keeping your Gamekeeper ALIVE? o_o

Also, I'll post a list when I get that far, and maybe keep it up-to-date if my attention holds.
    Last edited by thedarkness; 01-12-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Stupid typo is stupid.

Re: [Deck] Salvager Game (Golden Grahams)

Hrm. I actually think I like Kira more than Glory before having tested either. It's been a while since I played, but it occurs to me that as a general rule, your Salvager is never a valid target for Swords or Path until the turn you're trying to use it, so something like Kira or even Gigadrowse is probably more effective.

Edit: You know what? Instead of wasting time testing Kira vs. Glory in my sideboard, I'm just going to lern2cabaltherapy.

Re-edit: Also, reading the rest of the thread has been helpful. Today was not a good day for me to start thinking about legacy. My head was in the wrong place. :P

All my issues were addressed years ago, and solved better than I could have solved them too. xD
    Last edited by thedarkness; 01-12-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Not enough brainage.

Thread Information