Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 403 Forbidden while accessing The Source

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Re: 403 Forbidden while accessing The Source

I'm outraged, I found my favorite site replaced with a magic forum.

(thanks, real cool to be able to use the site again.)
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Jul 2007
    The Frozen North

All's good here too...

Many thanks to the powers that be...

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

It works. Thanks for resolving the issue!

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Thank you for making the necessary contacts to get this issue resolved. All is good on this end now. :)
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

So, we need to do another round of testing to make sure the problem is eradicated. IF YOU NOW GET A 403 ERROR, PLEASE WRITE DOWN YOUR IP (you can find it at http://whatismyipaddress.com/) AND THEN PM IT TO ME THE NEXT TIME YOU CAN LOG IN (or through a proxy / smartphone / etc.) Thanks!

I've been good for awhile now too. Site has been working without a hitch.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

It works now!
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Was this^ the reason the site was down for maintenance? The vBulletin announcement said it would only be for a few hours but I couldn't get on for 2 days. Really no biggie I'm just curious.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Explorer
    Jan 2009
    The Netherlands

I have that at work. My phone and homepc have no problems. So its safe to say the site is not down for maintenance but there is another issue.
    Just a minute ago I checked The Source at work: down for maintenance. Check the phone and everything is fine.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

That's really strange. I only use my phone since I don't have a computer.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by XdeckX View Post
    I have that at work. My phone and homepc have no problems. So its safe to say the site is not down for maintenance but there is another issue.
    Just a minute ago I checked The Source at work: down for maintenance. Check the phone and everything is fine.
    "Down for maintenance" or 403 Forbidden? If the former, you might just need to clear your cache. If you get the 403 Forbidden, copy your IP from your work computer and PM it to Zilla.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Explorer
    Jan 2009
    The Netherlands

On my work pc it is in fact "down for maintenance". Clearing the cache didnt help. The funny thing is everythin was fine with the work pc during the 403 mishap (where my homepc was being blocked)
    Now thats resolved but for some reason the workpc is now facing the down for maintenance issue.
    Does anyone have a clue (since clearing cache doesnt work)

Explorer
    Jan 2009
    The Netherlands

Is there any news on how to fix this issue? The problem is still there at work. Now I dont mind working but Id like to be able to check The Source every now and then. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by XdeckX View Post
    Is there any news on how to fix this issue? The problem is still there at work. Now I dont mind working but Id like to be able to check The Source every now and then. ;)
    I just sent you a PM but I realized it could be useful to other people.

If you're using a computer that gets the 403 code or a "site down for maintenance" message, try pinging mtgthesource.com. Are you seeing 184.171.247.137 as the IP address? If yes, that is the old server IP. The new server is at 192.237.179.171. If you're at work, it's possible that your office has a DNS server with the old IP address cached so even if you're clearing your browser cache on the computer you're using it will still be getting the old IP address. You can get around this by changing your DNS server that your local computer is using or perhaps by telling your IT guy that DNS needs to be flushed.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Backpack is correct. After all the 403 errors, I opted to move the site to its own private server, rather than the shared server it's been on since 2004. If you're still seeing the maintenance message, it's because your machine is still hitting the old IP address rather than the new one. You can either ask your IT person to flush DNS, or you can edit your host file like so:

1. Go to Start>Run and paste C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ in there. It will open a directory. Open the hosts file in there. If it asks you what program to use to open it, pick a text editor like notepad or wordpad.

2. Add the following line in there: 192.237.179.171 mtgthesource.com www.mtgthesource.com

3. Save it and close it.

This will allow your computer to bypass local DNS and go directly to the correct IP for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Backpack is correct. After all the 403 errors, I opted to move the site to its own private server, rather than the shared server it's been on since 2004. If you're still seeing the maintenance message, it's because your machine is still hitting the old IP address rather than the new one. You can either ask your IT person to flush DNS, or you can edit your host file like so:

1. Go to Start>Run and paste C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ in there. It will open a directory. Open the hosts file in there. If it asks you what program to use to open it, pick a text editor like notepad or wordpad.

2. Add the following line in there: 192.237.179.171 mtgthesource.com www.mtgthesource.com

3. Save it and close it.

This will allow your computer to bypass local DNS and go directly to the correct IP for the site.
    What if he's using a Mac? Not everyone uses Windows, you know.

P.S. I was in love with my cousin once.

Explorer
    Jan 2009
    The Netherlands

That sounds like it might be the cause.
    Although I dont really feel like telling our IT department to flush the DNS so I can access The Source (which of course is hardly work related)
    Eventually the DNS should update as far as I know. And editing the hosts file is something that could work although I dont know if that's even possible (dont know if you need admin access for that)

So I more or less just need to wait for the DNS to update to the new IP.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Try entering http://192.237.179.171/forums/forum.php directly into your browser.

(I think you need the /forums/forum.php part because with just the IP address I get redirected to mtgthesource.com, and that would probably fall to an un-updated DNS again.)
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Does the move to a new server also account for emails not coming through? I haven't received any messages for my subscribed threads for a few days.

Explorer
    Jan 2009
    The Netherlands

Guess the DNS was updated this weekend. The Source is working again @ the workplace. So less working more sourcing :)

Thread Information