Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legacy's Future

Jun 2013
    Indiana

Legacy's Future

Legacy is by far my favorite format. Wizards does not support legacy at all. Star city games is the only corporation that does. Does anyone think that the future of legacy is doomed? I hear all the time from rumors that star city is going to replace legacy with modern, and that would be awful haha. What do you guys think? Any information please post on this thread

Re: Legacy's Future

It will be interesting to see what SCG does for 2014. Ben Bleiwiess (SCGs main buyer) said that they will continue support through 2013 https://twitter.com/BenBleiweiss/status/261939546420305920.

However they started experimenting with the Sunday format this year in the cities with low legacy turnout. I don't think the experiments were a smashing success. So, I'd bet the number of legacy Sundays will stay the same or increase slightly for 2014.

As for Wizard's they are obviously decreasing the support for legacy. There are fewer legacy GPs for 2014. They moved the legacy champs away from Gencon, making it less appealing for travelers. Also for this year they moved it with little notice which will likely decrease attendance because some planned for it to be at Gencon. Further, they don't really care about legacy on mtgo. Prices are not reasonable and don't encourage new or existing players to play legacy online.

But, modern is not really a huge success. They decreased the number of modern GPs in 2014. There are very few large modern tournaments outside of GPs and PTQs. I think many people play it only because it is the competitive alternative to standard and limited.

Once they make modern more likable (broaden the card pool with reprints and/or pushing the start beyond Eighth, and unbanning most cards and not banning cards with as much frequency) I think legacy will go the way of vintage. That is only after it gains support from players and more importantly SCG. I'd estimate that modern will be fixed and widely adapted in 5 years.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

To my knowledge, Wizard's has never really heavily supported legacy (for as long as I've played it and according to what other people have told me)

They are kinda/sorta not really pushing Legacy on MTGO, the MOCS promos have been legacy staples (Force, Savannah, etc), although re-releasing master's edition would help tons

Probably should say something about the format when it still remains this popular when faced with utter indifference (more or less) from wizards.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    To my knowledge, Wizard's has never really heavily supported legacy (for as long as I've played it and according to what other people have told me)

They are kinda/sorta not really pushing Legacy on MTGO, the MOCS promos have been legacy staples (Force, Savannah, etc), although re-releasing master's edition would help tons

Probably should say something about the format when it still remains this popular when faced with utter indifference (more or less) from wizards.
    +1, this guy knows what hes talking about.

Legacy cards on MTGO have 0 value since they cannot be redeemed so they should be reprinted fairly often and in cycles to attract new players. I understand they have some value but only because they are printed in limited quantities. but such limited quantities creates barriers to entry and many people arn't willing to pay more for a digital version of a card than an actual physical version.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

To be frank, the amount you spend on the $50 cards in mtgo (Fow, Goyf [I think he's still up there], LED, Rishadan Port) is saved by the fact the rest of the format is literally a 1/3 (or less) than what it is in real life (Candlabra is like $10, Tabernacle is $4.00).

If the interface wasn't poorly presented, I would wager to bet that their would be more people playing on MTGO (most people who play legacy probably can afford the format online given enough time, minus those whom acquired the cards when they were much cheaper)
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Jun 2013
    Indiana

tabernacle $4 whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttt

On another note i am hoping that legacy will become more welcomed soon. Modern is just a better extended. The area where i play has a large legacy scene. We do tournaments once a month for large prizes, and we get 30+ people. I think some places legacy isn't welcomed too well, but its like that for every format. EDH is a large format, but I rarely see EDH organized play, just casual. I know its a casual game, but what's the point of spending tons of money if you play they same people over and over again?

Mar 2012
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by zeagle View Post
    It will be interesting to see what SCG does for 2014. Ben Bleiwiess (SCGs main buyer) said that they will continue support through 2013 https://twitter.com/BenBleiweiss/status/261939546420305920.

However they started experimenting with the Sunday format this year in the cities with low legacy turnout. I don't think the experiments were a smashing success. So, I'd bet the number of legacy Sundays will stay the same or increase slightly for 2014.

As for Wizard's they are obviously decreasing the support for legacy. There are fewer legacy GPs for 2014. They moved the legacy champs away from Gencon, making it less appealing for travelers. Also for this year they moved it with little notice which will likely decrease attendance because some planned for it to be at Gencon. Further, they don't really care about legacy on mtgo. Prices are not reasonable and don't encourage new or existing players to play legacy online.

But, modern is not really a huge success. They decreased the number of modern GPs in 2014. There are very few large modern tournaments outside of GPs and PTQs. I think many people play it only because it is the competitive alternative to standard and limited.

Once they make modern more likable (broaden the card pool with reprints and/or pushing the start beyond Eighth, and unbanning most cards and not banning cards with as much frequency) I think legacy will go the way of vintage. That is only after it gains support from players and more importantly SCG. I'd estimate that modern will be fixed and widely adapted in 5 years.
    Legacy GPs in 2013: 3
    Legacy GPs in 2014: 2

Modern GPs in 2013: 7
    Modern GPs in 2014: 6

There's not that many fewer (though 3 to 2 is a big deal). Though, there are more GPs overall, so percentage-wise it's a significant change.
    L2 Judge

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Wrong forum, but whatever lol. What can we do to help grow the format is what we should be asking ourselves. At my LGS, there's a lot more Standard and Modern players than Eternal players. But I'd estimate about 90% of these players get very interested when they see my buddy whip out his TES deck and start goldfishing against someones Standard deck. When they say that the only thing holding them off from Legacy is the high prices of staples, I simply explain to them that if they buy 8 blue fetches(most even have these already because of Modern), 4FoWs, and 4-6 blue duals, it becomes relatively cheap to switch gears completely into a different deck. I also explain to them that it's a better investment than Standard because the prices of the cards simply will not drop, only rise. So if they lose interest for whatever reason they can just sell the cards and get basically all, if not more, of their money back. I also explain that not every deck is over 1000$, some decks are about the same price as Standard decks and the cards will actually retain their value in most cases, unlike crappy rotating formats.

TLDR; It's up to us, as a community, to help grow interest in the format. Play other formats, and in between rounds sling some Legacy with someone. It WILL peak peoples interest, and maybe, just maybe, help grow your favorite format. If every Legacy player got one person into the format, we'd double the amount of true Eternal players.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

We should be happy that there are still GPs in this format. I'm in a strange situation because my local shops stopped doing Legacy tournaments. There is only Standard, Modern and Limited. People are selling Legacy cards so they can jump into Modern / new Standard. It's sad because store owners don't believe in Legacy as a way to lure new players / grow community and people started to adapt to this situation. My hope is to travel to different cities to play Legacy. Be sure to keep this format alive around you and support the local community or you will end like I and few others.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinSrednoselac View Post
    Legacy is by far my favorite format. Wizards does not support legacy at all. Star city games is the only corporation that does. Does anyone think that the future of legacy is doomed? I hear all the time from rumors that star city is going to replace legacy with modern, and that would be awful haha. What do you guys think? Any information please post on this thread
    This post is BS, totally wrong. Wizard does have Legacy GP. At all you say? Quit lying.

A better way to describe: Wizard treats Legacy much like a bastard child. Yes, Wizard cares, but just barely register on the radar.

What do we think? I think you need to stop trolling, do your homework first.

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

I am pretty sure that Legacy will never really die. It may go the way of Vintage but with a much bigger player base because the choke point is duals and other reserved list stuff not power. Let me pose a question. Suppose the Magic apocalypse hits, WOTC goes out of business, SSG folds many tears are shed. What are you guys gonna do with all these cool cards with the funny pictures?
    I know what I'm gonna do and that is KEEP FUCKING PLAYING, no doubt about it, Legacy(and Vintage) are the only formats that would survive. I don't know about you but when I play block constructed, standard or modern it is usually at some PTQ or testing for one. When I play Legacy I play it for the love of the game and nothing is going to change that.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

GP hits town in 5 weeks. Two events are Legacy based with the prize for first on day one being a Moat. I do not think we have a
    lot to worry about.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

so you are telling me, SCG, the largest supplier of cards for the secondary market, is going to drop a format that allows them to sell MUCH more cards for a format that lets you only sell half as many cards?

It doesn't make any sense business wise. And if you think they will do so, you should not be a businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    so you are telling me, SCG, the largest supplier of cards for the secondary market, is going to drop a format that allows them to sell MUCH more cards for a format that lets you only sell half as many cards?

It doesn't make any sense business wise. And if you think they will do so, you should not be a businessman.
    Nice shot Kobe! They're basically the only ones keeping competitive legacy alive, and that gives them the ability to a lot of business in older cards. If SCG switched to modern, for instance, the attendance difference (plus or minus) would be relatively insignificant to the dive their legacy inventory would take, and their ability to turnover said inventory. Legacy will have to start seeing the entry barriers of vintage for SCG to dump it (like it did vintage). Right now, as anyone on the source will tell you, it's possible to get a competitive deck with staples and save money over standard in the long term. There are a lot more duals than power. Etc...

As for the doomsday scenario (SCG dumps), I also don't think that will be as bad for us, the legacy players, as many seem to think. I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon, but if it does it'll just be like old legacy before SCG. Honestly, that was a pretty awesome time. The cards were much cheaper (although we may not see drastic price drops), brewing was rampant, the metagame moved slowly, people slowly tuned their pet decks, and the community was what made the format. If we go back to that, it won't be the worst thing in the world.

I've seen some jokers on salvation trying to say that duals or fetches need to be banned or legacy is done for. We don't even need to discuss the merits of this nonsense here on the source, but what this is showing me is that the barbarians are at the gates. They played modern, maybe a little legacy, and can tell which is more fun. I think that modern may come to have a negative impact on legacy, but not in the way many believe. It won't be from modern siphoning off our player base, it will be giving all the standard kids a taste of eternal which will leave them somewhat unsatisfied. Then you'll see legacy 'fans' arguing for the banning of dual lands... Wizards gave us benign neglect, will likely continue to do so, and as a result we have a great format. We don't need to be saved by drastic intervention a la modern.

To wrap up my points, SCG won't be dumping legacy any time in the foreseeable future. Also, I believe wizards will continue with a light touch on legacy which will be to our benefit. Modern will send us new eternal players who want to wade deeper into the pool. I think a lot of them will see what legacy's about, like it, and become great community members. There will be some who will look at legacy and assume that the modern format shaping principles apply. Hopefully they will eventually see the light or leave. The introduction of modern will cause some shifts in legacy, but I don't see a scenario where we can truly lose. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Backseat Critic

Jun 2013
    Indiana

@twndomn stop freaking out, I did my homework there is 2-3 grand prix for legacy a year. Star city is starting to even do double standards. Don't tell me that this post is BS if you think so then stay off of it, no one asked you to reply to this.

@Kobebryan

its not the fact that it allows you more card selection in a format, its the fact that the cost to run the event doesn't make them much money. If only 200 people play at legacy events, they probably don't even break even.

Jun 2013
    Indiana

@ backseat

I can see where your coming from and agree with you.

And banning duals and fetches? LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm sorry you had to deal with those people.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

If SCG ever feels like Modern would give them more revenue than Legacy, they'd drop it faster than you can imagine - after selling nearly everything they have in stock in terms of Legacy staples.
    The only reason for Legacy being what it is today is the SCG tournament circuit. In Europe, where big Legacy tournaments are scarce, Legacy has a much smaller community.
    Now imagine what would happen if SCG drops the support of the format in favor of something else. Maybe you guys can keep it alive. Maybe some other organization is able to continue the heritage. But I doubt it'll live on.
    Ultimately, we are all "at mercy" of SCG.

I'm hesitant whether to invest in the format again. I'd like some sort of statement from a SCG affiliate whether they'll support the format next year in the same way they've done so in the past, or whether they'll drop the ball and look for another format. But hey, who am I to ask for something like that...

This forum has it's sky-is-falling-down threads every once in a while, it's not like the format has died, yet. But as someone with a very limited budget (at least currently), I have to be overly-cautious.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think a better question to ask is: Would it effect you?

If your like me, you play at your local store once a week or twice a month or whatever the rotation is. You see the same 30 to 40 faces, you know their names. Hell you even know what food they show up with. The closing of SCG Legacy would not effect you at all of you are in that situation.

Now why am I in that situation? Because SCG does not exist here in Australia. We get MAYBE 2 events a year in the whole country dedicated to legacy. But at a ground level the game is fine. We show up week by week and we play.

I would expect that if SCG died over there the situation would be the same. You would still all go to your events each week and play. It's a social night out just without beer. Everyone will still show up because they like the game and they have made friends at the store. None of that would change.

Sent from my mobile, forgive spelling and grammatical errors.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

I still can't understand for the life of me why Wizards has been so against supporting Legacy. The format has basically survived and even thrived against all odds. Most of the pros will say that Legacy is the most skill-testing constructed format and many will even call it the most fun format. It may never make them as much as Standard, but then again, neither will Modern. With small tweaks, Modern Master could have been "Legacy Masters" and would have likely been much more lucrative for them. I imagine that a good portion of their Modern Masters sales were because there was so much crossover in the set to Legacy. Yes, I understand that the Reserved List is a concern and all of that, but excepting Alpha duals, there is very little that is actually relevant on the Reserve List.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

If Modern were a MM onward format, with this banned list:

Bridge From Below

Disciple of the Vault

Hypergenesis

Mind’s Desire

Sensei’s Divining Top

Skullclamp

Sword of the Meek

Brainstorm

Then Legacy would probably go the way of the dodo, because this format would play 95% like legacy, with no force but Mental Misstep, Elves as the top combo deck, and Storm good but not too much because of the lack of Petals/LEDs, and with multicolor decks rampant because of no Wasteland (there's still Port), but shocks as the balancing factors for manabases, and more important, no reserved list.
    With Modern as it is now, so basically a glorified standard with the ugliest manabases you can see, random cards banned everywhere and top deck that are basically rehashes of old (Jund zzz), then i don't think Modern will ever replace Legacy.

Legacy is also, ironically, far safer for people who want to invest long-term in decks because:

- harder to see a card banned in legacy, so everything you'll have will most keep values
    - harder to see some cards reprinted, if not downright impossible for some (reserved list ahoy)

So if people ever wanted to drop from Standard for monetary reasons, Legacy would often be the better option.

Also i'd really like to see Mental Misstep unbanned in Modern because that card did nothing in standard and would have prevented so many bannings it's ridicolous (Nacatl, most combo cards that were banned). With curves so much higher on average, and with shocks+fetch already putting you at 15 every single game, Mental Misstep would be the glue that hold Modern together, and it wouldn't be necessarily blue. But let's ban everything because reasons sigh. Even a card like Bitterblossom or Ancestral Vision would be perfectly fine, seriously looking at that format banned list give me an headache.

Thread Information