Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legacy's Future

Re: Legacy's Future

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    I still can't understand for the life of me why Wizards has been so against supporting Legacy. The format has basically survived and even thrived against all odds.
    Because WotC's revenue, like 90% of it, primarily comes from Standard and Limited. Contra to popular perception, Legacy is actually the most economical format. After the initial investment, Legacy players pretty much stop investing in expensive cards, unless you want to switch from one deck to a completely different angle of deck. The community, as a whole, will not generate profit for WotC.

Corporation's main concern is Growth, regardless the domain. WotC's concentration is to increase the population of Magic players from all the collectable card game players, not format switching within the community.

Bottom line is that KevinSrednoselac's wrong, as everyone here has pointed out. You can speculate or argue about WotC all you want, doesn't matter.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Discussions about fantasy formats are not fruitful at all. They are exactly that: Fantasies.

Legacy generates a very low amount of revenue for WotC, therefore it's not supported all that much. Which is only logical. We have a very big and vibrant community, though, which sets us apart from other formats and enables us to grow as a whole. Growth for the format is hard to come by, though, which is a sideeffect of the prices being that "stable".
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Because WotC's revenue, like 90% of it, primarily comes from Standard and Limited.
    I agree with this. Like Modern, Legacy will never make WotC as much money as Standard.

After the initial investment, Legacy players pretty much stop investing in expensive cards, unless you want to switch from one deck to a completely different angle of deck. The community, as a whole, will not generate profit for WotC.
    I do not agree here. Cards like Terminus, Abrupt Decay, Snapcaster Mage, Deathrite Shaman, and Young Pyromancer are all recent printings that have had a very large impact on Legacy and offer WotC a way to make money off of Legacy. They cannot make as much as they do off of Standard, but certainly as much as they do off Modern. In addition to natural printings, additional print runs akin to Modern Masters (but targeted at Legacy) offer another way to make money off Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    Legacy generates a very low amount of revenue for WotC, therefore it's not supported all that much. Which is only logical. We have a very big and vibrant community, though, which sets us apart from other formats and enables us to grow as a whole. Growth for the format is hard to come by, though, which is a sideeffect of the prices being that "stable".
    Legacy only generates a low amount of revenue because it is unsupported; there is nothing intrinsic about Legacy that makes it have low profitability. If Legacy were promoted and backed like Modern is now, it could easily generate much more money than Modern.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by KevinSrednoselac View Post
    its not the fact that it allows you more card selection in a format, its the fact that the cost to run the event doesn't make them much money. If only 200 people play at legacy events, they probably don't even break even.
    Yes they do AT LEAST break even because they buy/sell TONS of cards/sleeves/playmats, amongst other things. You're not taking everything into account here sir.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Wizards could easily make eternal players buy packs if they just put more eternal playables in them. The Thoughtseize reprint is a sad attempt, because nobody's going to buy a box and get maybe one card they'd use. Modern Masters is a good example of tactics they could incorporate into their business plan. Even FtV20 is a good example.

It's not very easy to do this without breaking Standard in half, but it's certainly possible. Cards like Deathrite, Scooze, and Thoughtsieze are good examples of amazing eternal cards that aren't overly powered in Standard/Modern. They just need to be a tad smarter if they want to make money off us is all.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    If Legacy were promoted and backed like Modern is now...
    So, are you asking for an abolition of the Reserved list?

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    It's not very easy to do this without breaking Standard in half, but it's certainly possible. Cards like Deathrite, Scooze, and Thoughtsieze are good examples of amazing eternal cards that aren't overly powered in Standard/Modern. They just need to be a tad smarter if they want to make money off us is all.
    Maybe they don't want to. It may be pretty painful to design and test new cards against all the stuff printed in two decades. I don't think WotC ever thought about some massive support of Eternal, esp. if it would mean all the troubles with RL, reprints, etc.
    WotC is a company that prints its own money. Why should they ever try to print again their old money when there's so much trouble with it? They'd rather design some new money that may be printed without all the related problems.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    A man can dream right?

Maybe they don't want to. It may be pretty painful to design and test new cards against all the stuff printed in two decades. I don't think WotC ever thought about some massive support of Eternal, esp. if it would mean all the troubles with RL, reprints, etc.
    WotC is a company that prints its own money. Why should they ever try to print again their old money when there's so much trouble with it? They'd rather design some new money that may be printed without all the related problems.
    I have to agree with this. WotC has said they do not test for legacy. Any cards that are printed now that become Legacy staples are either because they where intended to be strong to start with, or by quirk of design.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

That is one option, yes. I don't think that WotC actually has to do away with the Reserved List. The thing is that the Reserved List only restricts them just as much as they want it to. They can print Snow Tundras; they can print some crazy Planeshifted almost-a-Tundra; they can actually just print Tundras. How many people do you think are actually going to complain about near-functional reprints of dual lands?

If Legacy suddenly became supported, that doesn't mean that there is all of a sudden new reason to test and interfere in the format. Legacy picks the cards it picks. There are always bound to be some cards now and again that fall into the Legacy pool; they don't have to make it happen. What they can do is make Legacy Masters type print runs that feature Legacy playables in the same way that Modern Masters helped feed Modern. It's easy money for them, and they don't even have to force feed us a wonky format like Modern to do it.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Why the demise of Legacy is greatly exaggerated

It's hard to predict what will happen in 5 years (e.g. 5 years ago, Extended was arguably the second most played constructed format), but attendance for SCG Legacy Opens has been very strong this year, and I don't see any compelling reason for SCG to give Legacy the axe.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Whats with all the talk with stables? I keep seeing it in MTG Salvation as well.

I don't get it.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Whats with all the talk with stables? I keep seeing it in MTG Salvation as well.

I don't get it.
    Why would you go to MTG Salvation?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    Why would you go to MTG Salvation?
    Because they have the greatest D&T thread around.
    And because they have all the spoilers before everyone most of the time :)

On topic... let's play Legacy. it's not dead yet. If you guys keep playing, it will never die...

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Why do people continue to beat this topic like a dead horse? We all get it. If you are worried so much sell your collection so others can get into the format.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    Why do people continue to beat this topic like a dead horse? We all get it. If you are worried so much sell your collection so others can get into the format.
    ok, wts 40 unlimited duals..... too much trouble selling cards, I prefer to just sit on them.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Honestly I hope Legacy dies so I can play EDH in peace, without having to spend a fortune on mana base that doesn't crap on you for my 5 color monstrosities.

Also, I hope Legacy dies so people like KevinSrednoselac would just sit in a corner and not stir shit. I think a lot of people would like that.

People that play Legacy should just be left in peace by idiots who treat the game like its the New York Stock Exchange. I pray that the North Koreans would just fuck the Legacy format up like what they're trying to do with the stock market. I wish a Tyler Durden for Legacy that would bring the format back into the dark ages.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Because WotC's revenue, like 90% of it, primarily comes from Standard and Limited.
    D&D waves hello. But if you are speaking about paper magic revenue ... 100% of it comes from new sealed product. It doesn't come from any format. According to my FLGS owner about 1/3 of the people are just filthy casuals who don't participate in any format. That's just people at a store, throw in all the shut-in's and neckbeards and kitchen table finks and you may have 1/2. That includes singles by the way, the cards they can't keep in stock aren't DRS it's crap like Lord of the Undead.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Honestly I hope Legacy dies so I can play EDH in peace, without having to spend a fortune on mana base that doesn't crap on you for my 5 color monstrosities.

Also, I hope Legacy dies so people like KevinSrednoselac would just sit in a corner and not stir shit. I think a lot of people would like that.

People that play Legacy should just be left in peace by idiots who treat the game like its the New York Stock Exchange. I pray that the North Koreans would just fuck the Legacy format up like what they're trying to do with the stock market. I wish a Tyler Durden for Legacy that would bring the format back into the dark ages.
    OrsonWellesClapsALot.gif

I keep veering closer to this as well. They'll print EDH product but won't support a format they made themselves? Save the occasional trickle down from Standard, like all the playable Golgari stuff - but then, isn't that just them getting more people to buy Standard cards?

I don't want to turn this into a Reprint Policy discussion, but there can never be a "Legacy Masters" product long as they hold fast to their current approach. And long as legacy players get tricked into buying Standard cards why should they.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    neckbeards
    Imagining neckbeards always makes me smile.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    ok, wts 40 unlimited duals..... too much trouble selling cards, I prefer to just sit on them.
    Expecting them to hatch soon? Ooohh can we dye their feathers rainbow colors?
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

actually I'd love to get rid of them, but just too much work.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Birds Of Paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Thread Information