Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GP Detroit

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

GP Detroit

Well, it looks like the best deck of the format is decided: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...et13/welcome#1

...and it's BGx!

Looks like Scavenging Ooze shored up all of it's bad matchups. Only question now is what will be banned?

Re: GP Detroit

I would like to say, "Maybe they'll unban some sweet blue cards since this format is pretty hostile to U/x decks," but let's get real, they'll just keep banning cards because Wizards seems to be pretty terrible at actually managing formats proactively.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

The real problem with a Jace unban is that they'd have to reprint it first, since holy shit is that card expensive!

Unbanning GSZ won't help the problem of all similar deck lists.

Bitterblossom would probably be unsafe just because it's so good and fits in these decks already. Same for Bloodbraid.

Honestly, looking through the banned list again, all I think that can be safely unbanned is Jace and Ancestral, although Ancestral is such an easy splash who knows if that would significantly change the format.

Unban Ponder, ban Kiki? Given the current speed of combo decks, Jund is actually still good against them, and Ponder gives the blue decks some of the consistency they need without being over the top.

But who knows. I would play Pod in Modern because it's one of my favorite cards, but I'm not interested in playing against Jund all day erry day.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Unban Ponder, ban Kiki? Given the current speed of combo decks, Jund is actually still good against them, and Ponder gives the blue decks some of the consistency they need without being over the top.

But who knows. I would play Pod in Modern because it's one of my favorite cards, but I'm not interested in playing against Jund all day erry day.
    The ban on Kiki would have to happen, and I think other combo might be too good but it's hard to tell. Scavenging Ooze is really good, especially against the old versions of UR storm, so it might be okay.

Clearly something has to happen.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

with all the jund running around jace would see little play.

and he wold get trolloped by recursive creatures in pod.

ancestral is only busted with cascading creatures, but since they already banned BBE, and shardless isnt in the group, it should be safe.

as much as i want Dark depths to be unbanned, its probably not safe.

the rest of the banned cards seem to help Green decks.

The modern format seems incredibly shallow in its meta comparable to standard....way to go WOTC.

Jund, Pod, Splinter

everything else is battling for scraps
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Affinity can also do pretty well, but it doesn't help that all the decks are mid-rangey creatures + possible combo. I guess Twin is less midrange creatures, depending on the white splash or not, but yeah, swing for X format is getting less and less interesting as time goes on.

I really do think that Scavenging Ooze is the reason it went over the top, since it shuts down the more combo oriented decks quite a bit more. Let's hope for some unbannings, I think Jace could actually bring control back (even if it will be GUx control).

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    The real problem with a Jace unban is that they'd have to reprint it first, since holy shit is that card expensive!

Unbanning GSZ won't help the problem of all similar deck lists.

Bitterblossom would probably be unsafe just because it's so good and fits in these decks already. Same for Bloodbraid.

Honestly, looking through the banned list again, all I think that can be safely unbanned is Jace and Ancestral, although Ancestral is such an easy splash who knows if that would significantly change the format.
    You think Jace and Ancestral Vision are the only cards that can be safely unbanned? Jace is far from safe, and even if you think he is perfectly fine, there's safer cards on the list. And where is Golgari Grave-Troll? That card isn't just safe, it has about as much business being on the list as Land Tax did for Legacy. Or are you excluding it because everyone just knows it being banned is a joke and there's no point in mentioning it?

That said, I will agree Ancestral Vision seems fine. As I once saw someone say, saying it's okay to win on turn 4 but you can't draw three cards on turn 5 is rather silly.

Personally I think Sword of the Meek would be a fairly safe unban, and would probably be a good thing. It doesn't benefit BGx, there's reasonable hate for it, and it doesn't even win you the game on the spot (granted, it makes your odds of winning the game significantly better, but we're not talking Goryo's Vengeance into Griselbrand here). Now to be fair, the sudden surge in BGx is recent, but I can't help but feel that in retrospect, unbanning it would've been a good sign considering the Top 8 we got.

The funny thing is, I was at the Grand Prix and didn't play against a single GBx deck. Maybe if I had made Day 2 that would've been different, though.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    You think Jace and Ancestral Vision are the only cards that can be safely unbanned? Jace is far from safe, and even if you think he is perfectly fine, there's safer cards on the list. And where is Golgari Grave-Troll? That card isn't just safe, it has about as much business being on the list as Land Tax did for Legacy. Or are you excluding it because everyone just knows it being banned is a joke and there's no point in mentioning it?
    Golgari isn't likely to see an unban based on WotC's self-admitted hate for dredge decks and that's why I didn't mention it. It's garbage, especially with Deathrite + Scavenging Ooze, but they won't unban it no matter what.

Personally I think Sword of the Meek would be a fairly safe unban, and would probably be a good thing. It doesn't benefit BGx, there's reasonable hate for it, and it doesn't even win you the game on the spot (granted, it makes your odds of winning the game significantly better, but we're not talking Goryo's Vengeance into Griselbrand here). Now to be fair, the sudden surge in BGx is recent, but I can't help but feel that in retrospect, unbanning it would've been a good sign considering the Top 8 we got.
    Good point, and since Scavenging Ooze is so prevalent now there's even maindeck hate to stop it. It's annoying as hell but anything to make control decks better seems decent to me.

The funny thing is, I was at the Grand Prix and didn't play against a single GBx deck. Maybe if I had made Day 2 that would've been different, though.
    Yeah, but just imagine the next GP if they don't change anything... it'll be like 95% of the players who can get their hands on the BG cards playing it.

Yeah, but just imagine the next GP if they don't change anything... it'll be like 95% of the players who can get their hands on the BG cards playing it.
    If that ends up happening, I would probably want to be the guy playing Karn on turn 3.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Quote Originally Posted by 264505 View Post
    If that ends up happening, I would probably want to be the guy playing Karn on turn 3.
    You realise Jund is a bad MU for Tron, right? Especially the White versions like Ajundi and Junk.

It's 1 tournament. Scooze has hurt the UWR deck, we'll find a way back. Ban Abrupt Decay and see me roar. (I know that will neither happen, not needs to, but Isochron Sceptre is one of my favourite cards.)
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    You realise Jund is a bad MU for Tron, right? Especially the White versions like Ajundi and Junk.
    Wha...? Jund is a great matchup for Tron. The versions running Ajani are a little better against Tron, but Tron still has the advantage.

That said, GB Rock is decent against Tron because unlike Jund, it plays Tectonic Edge and Fulminator Mage, which make things a lot tougher for Tron. I don't know if GB Rock is favored against Tron--a single Wurmcoil Engine gives GB Rock fits--but Jund itself is easy for Tron to beat.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Well, it looks like the best deck of the format is decided: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...et13/welcome#1

...and it's BGx!
    So, are you convinced yet?

Anyway, I am still baffled why Wizards lacks the budget to cover one of the few Modern GPs. It's really a shame, since we get to see a shitload of boring M14/limited GPs.

The format is fine. Look, it's a bunch of midrangey creature decks in the Top 8, all of which play green (except Robots, we still have to fix that), and none of the things the target audience hates, like countermagic and Storm Combo. The metagame of "midrange, midrange, midrange" is perfectly balanced, just like WotC plans it to. Can't you see how beautiful a format -

Alright, I can't keep this up, I'm afraid of spewing hot drinks all over my keyboard if I continue any longer. This format is stupid in basically every way. About half the things on the banned list can come off, there is no format diversity, and pretty much every addition they've made to the banned list has been a mistake. The format's a joke.

I usually play most of the time in Legacy and I'm astonished by the lack of blue colors in the tp 8 ahha. Maybe they should unban some blue techs

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quick to judge, are we not? The last 2 GPs didn't have a single copy of BGx in the Top16, if I remember correctly and the WMC was pretty much a UWR slugfest, which means Control mirrors all day, folks.
    But hey, who am I kidding, I know fairly well by now that the vast majority of the Legacy population has a burning hatred for Modern itself and are as quick to call other formats trash as they are to cry "SKY IS FALLING DOWN!!!" when something about Legacy either changes, or it stagnates, or the prices go up again (which means that there's always something to complain about). Oh well...

I, for one, find it amusing that, safe for Affinity, every deck in the Top8 featured Overgrown Tomb, aka had some number of DRS in it and that Pod won.
    But, as always, I'd like a complete breakdown of Day 2 featuring all of the decklists. The breakdwon without the lists isn't worth a penny when there were, like, 9 copies or so of something called "Splinter Bant" and nobody can say what the heck this should be.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

@Nidd
    BGx was already dominating the MOCS, so it's not out of the blue. Not saying it should be crippled immediately, though. ;)

Anyway, I like Modern despite some bannings I don't agree with. I just hope they will keep up the support and stop cutting GPs and shifting PTQ seasons.

I like how half the meta is Tarmogoyf, DRS, Abrupt Decay, and Dark Confidant.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    So, are you convinced yet?
    Get over your personal hatred for me saying that there need to be more forms of nonbasic hate in the format, it's childish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    Quick to judge, are we not? The last 2 GPs didn't have a single copy of BGx in the Top16, if I remember correctly and the WMC was pretty much a UWR slugfest, which means Control mirrors all day, folks.
    But hey, who am I kidding, I know fairly well by now that the vast majority of the Legacy population has a burning hatred for Modern itself and are as quick to call other formats trash as they are to cry "SKY IS FALLING DOWN!!!" when something about Legacy either changes, or it stagnates, or the prices go up again (which means that there's always something to complain about). Oh well...
    I play modern quite frequently, but it's not fun playing in a format where there is a best deck. I'm not a Standard player for the same reason. Scavenging Ooze really does change what can and can't work, though, since it's so good against so many deck that normally green isn't.

I, for one, find it amusing that, safe for Affinity, every deck in the Top8 featured Overgrown Tomb, aka had some number of DRS in it and that Pod won.
    But, as always, I'd like a complete breakdown of Day 2 featuring all of the decklists. The breakdwon without the lists isn't worth a penny when there were, like, 9 copies or so of something called "Splinter Bant" and nobody can say what the heck this should be.
    Okay, well here it is:
    Archetype Count
    Splinter Twin 18
    Affinity 18
    Rock 17
    Tron 16
    Melira-Pod 13
    Jund 12
    RWU 12
    Splinter Bant 9
    Junk 9
    Ajundi 8
    WUR Twin 7
    UR Delver 4
    Naya Midrange 3
    GW Midrange 3
    Scapeshift 3
    Kiki-Pod 3
    Infect 3
    RG Aggro 2
    Burn 2
    Eternal Command 2
    Hexproof 2
    BUG Delver 1
    UBWG Control 1
    UB Tezeret 1
    Esper Mill 1
    Burn 1
    Grixis Control 1
    Monowhite Vial 1
    RUG Delver 1
    UB Control 1
    WU Control 1
    Boros 1
    UW Delver 1
    Living End 1
    Pyromancer Ascension 1
    Merfolk 1
    Vengeance 1

With all of the results being found from here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...e/gpdet13/day2

Even with Pie-Charts: (Start of day 2)

After round 12

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

I know that breakdown and it got a lot better when they decided to add colordistribution and the charts, but publishing all of the Day 2 decklists would go a long way.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Thread Information