Thread: Transmute Painter

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Transmute Painter

I've been trying to use Transmute Artifact in a number of different ways and this is the most promising thing I've come up with so far.

4 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Grindstone
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Painter's Servant
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Transmute Artifact
    4 Grand Architect
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spire Golem
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Sundering Titan

7 Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Academy Ruins

sideboard
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Back to Basics
    2 Devastation Tide
    1 Counterbalance
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Contagion Engine
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Lodestone Golem
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

So, yeah. So far, predictably, Counterbalance, Top, Painter+Grindstone, Strix, Force of Will and Brainstorm are great. Architect is a little bit of a reach but I've found that he's better than I thought he'd be. Mainly he gives you mana to cast (and activate) Painter+Grindstone out of nowhere but he also makes casting the Wurmcoil and Sundering Titan quite possible. The general plan for these is to Transmute them out on turn four or so after casting a Spire Golem turn three. This is kind of counter to the main Painter+Grindstone plan and probably I should max those out before getting too deep with Platinum Angel out of the board but, I have to say, that Platinum Angel is kind of dynamite sometimes. And who doesn't like Sundering Titan? Also, Spire Golem has proven to be pretty good. It blocks Delver, Clique, etc pretty well.

The sideboard has a lot of silver bullet answers that you can hopefully Transmute into and also Back to Basics because that card is good.

Overall the deck is playing surprisingly well for me so far. I'd love to get whatever feedback anyone has.

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Re: Transmute Painter

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Tezzeret the Seeker in my painter build, as a 1-2 of. He presents a two-turn clock if he sticks, and can put a grindstone into play if there is a chalice for one on the board. I think he would compete for space with Grand Architect in your build, though.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Please use the existing Painter-Stone thread for discussion of UR, URb, or other variations not limited to Imperial Recruiter or mono-red builds.

Painter-Stone thread
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Allright. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Please use the existing Painter-Stone thread for discussion of UR, URb, or other variations not limited to Imperial Recruiter or mono-red builds.

Painter-Stone thread
    Painter's Servant decks are of a fairly wide variety.

Because the combo is colorless and can be fit into effectively any shell built to support it, it may be better to allow other threads the ability to generate discussion as opposed to cramming different color combinations and shells into one single thread in order to avoid ambiguity.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Painter's Servant decks are of a fairly wide variety.

Because the combo is colorless and can be fit into effectively any shell built to support it, it may be better to allow other threads the ability to generate discussion as opposed to cramming different color combinations and shells into one single thread in order to avoid ambiguity.
    Painter's Servant + Grindstone = Painter-Stone. Not sure what ambiguity there is with such a thread title. Deck posted in the OP is mostly in the same vein as Jacob Hilty's Transmute Artifact build, which looking at the thread's last post (May 2013) is near the ballpark of what the OP is attempting. The thread's primer even covers the same topics - Wurmcoil Engine, Transmute Artifact, Counterbalance. Reading is tech.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information