Thread: [EDH] Derevi, Twiddle Wizard

[EDH] Derevi, Twiddle Wizard

Of the first five spoiled generals from the new Commander product, Derevi strikes me as the most interesting: partially because I've wanted to build a Bant aggro-control deck for a while but wasn't inspired by any of the available generals; partially because he's easily accessible via his activated ability, and thus will stay on the battlefield longer than most generals; and partially because the Twiddle effect is rather interesting. A lot of talk I've seen about this guy has involved convoluted combos that involve making a bunch of mana and then repeatedly sacrificing and activating Derevi to do...I don't know what, honestly, but I don't think those are really the right approaches. I've been thinking of something more along these lines:

General: Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

Mother of Runes
    Birds of Paradise
    Mikaeus, the Lunarch
    Soltari Emissary
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Pride of the Clouds
    Rootwater Thief
    Frontier Guide
    Bloom Tender
    Scavenging Ooze
    Fauna Shaman
    Aven Mindcensor
    Thassa, God of the Sea
    Loaming Shaman
    Eternal Witness
    Soltari Visionary
    Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    Trygon Predator
    Emeria Angel
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Restoration Angel
    Heliod, God of the Sun
    Hokori, Dust Drinker
    Stoic Angel
    Tradewind Rider
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
    Genesis
    Karmic Guide
    Meloku the Clouded Mirror
    Mulldrifter
    Consecrated Sphinx
    Draining Whelk
    Sun Titan
    Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Winter Orb
    Survival of the Fittest
    Aura Shards
    Opposition
    Sword of Feast and Famine
    Sword of Light and Shadow
    Swiftfoot Boots
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Bident of Thassa
    Absorb
    Hinder
    Cryptic Command
    Mana Drain
    Counterspell
    Desertion
    Force of Will
    Wrath of God
    Day of Judgment
    Supreme Verdict
    Swords to Plowshares
    Path to Exile

Sol Ring
    Azorius Signet
    Selesnya Signet
    Simic Signet
    Chromatic Lantern
    Cultivate
    Kodama's Reach

37 lands

There are a couple of things worth noting. First, there's some obvious exclusions, mostly in the non-creature slots: Enlightened Tutor, Chord of Calling and Eladamri's Call, draw spells. The list is actually pretty tight because you want to support a higher number of creatures for Derevi. Second, there's a couple of interesting things I want to preserve. Winter Orb and Hokori both allow you to turn the Twiddles into pseudo-Armageddons, while Stoic Angel locks down blockers and leaves people helpless; Temporal Distortion also seems like a decent candidate here, although I don't know where to fit it in. Heliod is currently the only vigilance-granting effect, but I wouldn't mind more of them just so I can use the Twiddles more offensively. Meloku and Emeria Angel both produce large numbers of evasive tokens to leverage Opposition and Derevi.

The manabase will probably be pretty standard color-fixing stuff, with Gavony Township as utility and possibly a couple of other utility lands as well.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Re: [EDH] Derevi, Twiddle Wizard

I agree with you that most of the convoluted combos with Derevi are dumb. . I was thinking of building him a lot like this, using little guys to abuse Winter Orb and friends. I haven't got to test the deck, but I think it may be at its best if built like Edric, Spymaster of Trest with lots of one mana evasive guys to trigger Derevi.

Soltari Emissary is a puzzling choice, is it supposed to be something else? Soltari Foot Soldier seems better if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I agree with you that most of the convoluted combos with Derevi are dumb. . I was thinking of building him a lot like this, using little guys to abuse Winter Orb and friends. I haven't got to test the deck, but I think it may be at its best if built like Edric, Spymaster of Trest with lots of one mana evasive guys to trigger Derevi.
    The nice thing about being in full Bant as opposed to just GW is that you get access to a lot more token-making cards. I think the blitzy "evasive weenie rush" plan has some merit, but running a lot of small one- and two-mana guys is usually a pretty hefty disadvantage in a format of haymakers.deck and Edric does more to mitigate that than Derevi does. Perhaps if you build the turbo-prison Derevi deck that finds Winter Orb ASAP and then locks everyone out with that plus other Stax effects, but that wasn't quite what I wanted to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Soltari Emissary is a puzzling choice, is it supposed to be something else? Soltari Foot Soldier seems better if nothing else.
    I originally drew up a list of about seventy creatures that I could see myself running, then trimmed it down to the current...34, I think? Emissary was originally two dorks, Soltari Monk and Soltari Priest. I decided to merge them into a single two-mana shadow dork for Birthing Pod purposes (which late got cut on my way from from fifty-ish spells). I opted for Emissary over either of the clerics, Soltari Trooper, or Looter il-Kor basically because it could block if I needed that. I'm thinking about changing it back to either the Priest (my meta has a lot of RW) or the Looter.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I've been tinkering with a Derevi build too. A few suggestions in no particular order:

Glare of Subdual is a pseudo second copy of Opposition. It's not as good since it can't tap down lands...but if the idea is to force opponents into some sort of Twiddle lock it's another way to get there.

Cyclonic Rift seems like it could be particularly brutal under a Winter Orb/Hokori lock...especially when you can untap your lands via the combat step to cast it.

I know you haven't really fleshed out the mana base yet, but have you given any thought to the Ravnica block Karoos? I know they're sort of lame in terms of tempo loss, but getting two mana out of your one untapped land per turn can't be all bad, can it? They also have a little synergy with Emeria Angel for whatever that's worth.

Lastly, I've been looking for a home for Aetherling for a while now, and I'm really thinking this deck could be it. The exile ability gets around the various lock pieces by giving it pseudo-vigilance, and you can also use it with Opposition effects for as long as you have open blue mana. On top of that, the unblockable ability nets you a Derevi/Edric/Bident trigger while also setting up a pretty decent clock that's very hard to remove. It can be a little mana intensive under Winter Orb and Hokori...but with just a couple open islands you can set up a real problem for your opponents.

Vigilance creature + stasis

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    I've been tinkering with a Derevi build too. A few suggestions in no particular order:

Glare of Subdual is a pseudo second copy of Opposition. It's not as good since it can't tap down lands...but if the idea is to force opponents into some sort of Twiddle lock it's another way to get there.

Cyclonic Rift seems like it could be particularly brutal under a Winter Orb/Hokori lock...especially when you can untap your lands via the combat step to cast it.
    My issue when building this deck was that there are a significant number of cards that are worthwhile to include which forces you to make some really awkward cuts. Glare, for example, didn't make it in because it was worse than Opposition and there was only room for one of that effect. Rift would also be good, except for its steep overload cost. It's possible that the correct way to build an unthemed aggro-control Derevi deck is to actually run a smaller number of creatures and a greater number of token generators, basically resulting in Bant tokens plus some light disruption elements in the form of exhaustion effects and counters/removal. Of the creatures I'm currently running, a great many of them - particularly on the cheaper end of the scale - are not absolutely essential. However, I worry that cutting too many actual creatures for more control cards would leave me chronically creature-light, weakening Derevi and the lock components. The compromise may be to dispense with all but the best non-evasive creatures and then run as many token generators and army-in-a-can cards as I can fit. I'll have to think about it.

I know you haven't really fleshed out the mana base yet, but have you given any thought to the Ravnica block Karoos? I know they're sort of lame in terms of tempo loss, but getting two mana out of your one untapped land per turn can't be all bad, can it? They also have a little synergy with Emeria Angel for whatever that's worth.
    The Rav Karoos are pretty much auto-includes for a deck like this.

Lastly, I've been looking for a home for Aetherling for a while now, and I'm really thinking this deck could be it. The exile ability gets around the various lock pieces by giving it pseudo-vigilance, and you can also use it with Opposition effects for as long as you have open blue mana. On top of that, the unblockable ability nets you a Derevi/Edric/Bident trigger while also setting up a pretty decent clock that's very hard to remove. It can be a little mana intensive under Winter Orb and Hokori...but with just a couple open islands you can set up a real problem for your opponents.
    The big problem with Aetherling is that he Slides instead of blinking, so he's not exactly a better Rhystic Deluge in concert with Opposition/Glare. Being beefy and potentially unblockable is a nice combination though, so it might still be worth it.

I've gone back to the drawing board and come up with this:

Bloom Tender
    Looter il-Kor
    Scavenging Ooze
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Pride of the Clouds
    Aven Mindcensor
    Daxos of Meletis
    Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    Eternal Witness
    Hanna, Ship's Navigator
    Trygon Predator
    Academy Rector
    Emeria Angel
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
    Heliod, God of the Sun
    Hokori, Dust Drinker
    Stoic Angel
    Karmic Guide
    Prophet of Kruphix
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
    Draining Whelk
    Sun Titan

Sacred Mesa
    Flurry of Wings
    Spectral Procession
    Beck / Call
    Entreat the Angels

Counterspell
    Mana Drain
    Hinder
    Spell Crumple
    Cryptic Command
    Force of Will

Serra's Blessing
    Winter Orb
    Aura Shards
    Detention Sphere
    Coastal Piracy
    Opposition
    Nature's Will
    Rising Waters
    Mirari's Wake
    Privileged Position

Enlightened Tutor
    Eladamri's Call
    Sterling Grove
    Idyllic Tutor
    Chord of Calling

Path to Exile
    Swords to Plowshares
    Unexpected Absence
    Dismantling Blow

Umezawa's Jitte
    Behemoth Sledge
    Sword of Feast and Famine
    Sword of Light and Shadow

Mana Crypt
    Sol Ring
    Farseek
    Azorius Signet
    Selesnya Signet
    Simic Signet
    Cultivate
    Kodama's Reach
    Chromatic Lantern
    Gilded Lotus

That's a total of 68 cards. I'd like to run either 35 or 36 lands, which means I need four or five cuts. Any ideas?

I went with an enchantment suite this time because many of the cards I want to run - Nature's Will, Aura Shards, Opposition - are enchantments, so focusing on that a bit seemed worthwhile. There are also a number of token makers to supplement the reduced creature count. It's possible that this is actually too few creatures overall, but I'd have to test it a few times to really nail that down. It's also possible that I need more draw spells, but I have no idea what to cut to expand the draw suite.

Suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 10-20-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Fucking split cards, man.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    That's a total of 68 cards. I'd like to run either 35 or 36 lands, which means I need four or five cuts. Any ideas?
    Some random thoughts:

Spectral Procession seems kind of loose in this format - I don't think you're that desperate for tokens...especially with Heliod, Mesa, Meloku and all the rest already present and accounted for.

I'm also not all that in love with Draining Whelk because it often forces you to counter "bad" (i.e. not potentially game winning) spells just to have a decently sized dude. Otherwise, you're paying 6 mana for a 3/3 flyer...which isn't all that amazing.

You can probably chop one of the signets too if you need space...probably Selesnya since you have more double and triple blue mana costs than anything.

As for the last cut...that's a pretty tough one. It might be Flurry of Wings? The card is on-theme and will totally get people out of nowhere but it's also pretty situational. Then again, if you can manage to swing 3 or more guys whenever you cast it you've at least got your hands on a Spectral Procession.

These are a step in the wrong direction, but a couple suggestions:

Serra's Blessing is cute, but where's the Meekstone and/or Crackdown to go with it?

What about Hero of Bladehold somewhere in here? She brings her army with her and buffs your team while doing it, and the best part is the tokens stick around for Opposition next turn.

You also might consider Skullclamp over Beck // Call since you're making so many tokens. It's easier for you to tutor and will probably draw more cards over the course of the game.
    Last edited by Davran; 10-21-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Hmm.

I agree that Procession might be kind of underwhelming, but it's done good work for me before in various BW Control shells. Granted, those were much more token-focused, so paying three or four mana to get three 1/1 flying bodies made a lot more sense. I could see it being cuttable here, but I'm worried that my creature count might dip too low then - I really need a lot of bodies to use Derevi in a multiplayer setting.

I agree with the logic behind cutting Draining Whelk.

I was thinking of axing Winter Orb as well. I don't know that I need three of that effect and it's far easier for me to tutor for an enchantment or creature than an artifact. Plus, there's a bunch of R/x decks in my meta, so enchantments are slightly more durable than artifacts.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I was thinking of axing Winter Orb as well. I don't know that I need three of that effect and it's far easier for me to tutor for an enchantment or creature than an artifact. Plus, there's a bunch of R/x decks in my meta, so enchantments are slightly more durable than artifacts.
    I think it's mostly a toss up between Rising Waters and Orb (Hokori seems best here since he has legs). On one hand, Rising Waters is probably more durable at most tables since folks tend not to run a lot of anti-enchantment cards. On the other, Orb is recoverable with Sun Titan...so even if it does get shattered you'll be able to grab it back. The other thing Orb has going for it is it's mana cost, allowing you to leave an extra couple lands untapped when you cast it.

Come to think of it, would this deck benefit from Tezzeret the Seeker at all? He has enough loyalty to find any of your artifacts the turn you cast him...or you could just untap some mana rocks to help make the Orb lock more one-sided.

Lastly, I was cruising through my box of EDH jank last night and stumbled on Jace's Phantasm, which caused me to think of this deck. It's a cheap flyer with plenty of potential upside - I can't imagine an EDH game where it isn't turned on. Thoughts?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I was digging through a box of random crap and stumbled on Stonybrook Schoolmaster...which seems like it might be useful in this deck, especially in combination with Azami, Lady of Scrolls. With nothing else in play you're netting 3 cards and a 1/1 token every turn, and each Derevi trigger nets another 2 cards and one token. Either half is fine on its own too since you can turn triggers into cards or random bodies...the only downside is that the bodies don't have any evasion to speak of.

You can even go deep with Parallel Lives and/or Doubling Season...but that seems like magical christmas land to me.

Im thinking about building a version similar to your first build that runs a bunch of 2 power creatures and Meekstone along with Glare of Subdual, Opposition, and the land denial cards. Also, between Bident and Edric, you might have enough card draw to take advantage of something like Forbid to lock your opponent completely out of the game.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I finally got around to brewing up my own version of this list. Everyone seems to be taking the Winter Orb prison style route, so I wanted to go for something a little different. After playing the stock pre-con a bunch of times, it was immediately clear that the deck can and will "waste" a bunch of Derevi triggers since they happen in the combat damage step - it's not all that useful to start tapping your opponent's stuff right before they untap, for example. I set out to find things to do with the triggers, and here's what I came up with:

Commander:
    Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

Creatures:
    Coiling Oracle
    Pride of the Clouds
    Qasali Pridemage
    Scavenging Ooze
    Snapcaster Mage
    Aven Mindcensor
    Eternal Witness
    Mirror Entity
    Stonecloaker
    Stonybrook Schoolmaster
    Trinket Mage
    Trygon Predator
    Angel of Finality
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Hero of Bladehold
    Mystic Snake
    Oracle of Mul Daya
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Venser, Shaper Savant
    Acidic Slime
    Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    Karmic Guide
    Mulldrifter
    Seedborn Muse
    Aetherling

Instants:
    Path to Exile
    Swords to Plowshares
    Arcane Denial
    Cyclonic Rift
    Memory's Journey
    Momentary Blink
    Unexpectedly Absent
    Bant Charm
    Beast Within
    Chord of Calling
    Sphinx's Revelation
    Voidslime
    Fact or Fiction
    Reins of Power
    Return to Dust

Sorcery:
    Explore
    Farseek
    Nature's Lore
    Fabricate
    Retribution of the Meek
    Day of Judgment

Artifacts:
    Meekstone
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Skullclamp
    Sol Ring
    Swiftfoot Boots
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Behemoth Sledge
    Chromatic Lantern
    Crystal Shard
    Thousand-year Elixir
    Gilded Lotus

Enchantments:
    Sylvan Library
    Detention Sphere
    Sacred Mesa
    Thassa, God of the Sea
    Bident of Thassa

Lands:
    12 Fetches/Shocks/Karoos/Buddy Lands
    Strip Mine
    Wasteland
    Alchemist's Refuge
    Command Tower
    City of Brass
    Riptide Laboratory
    Seaside Citadel
    5 Forest
    7 Island
    5 Plains

Meekstone is sort of the key card behind my deck concept. All of my creatures dodge it completely, and Derevi can tap down pesky blockers with vigilance or whatever. The other concept revolves around Azami. There's a slight wizard slant to the creature slots, and Stonybrook Schoolmaster creates an engine on his own.

I also considered the following cards, but finding room is difficult:

Reveka, Wizard Savant: This "gem" from Homelands actually interacts quite favorably with Derevi and Thousand-Year Elixir. If I were to slot this in, one of the islands would probably become Minamo, School at Water's Edge for another untap effect. Another point in favor of Reveka is that her errata makes her a wizard for Azami.

Swords of X and Y: Some number of these (Feast and Famine, Fire and Ice, and maybe Light and Shadow) probably belong in a weenie deck like this, but I don't like that their protection is a non-bo with Derevi triggers.

Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile: Similar to Reveka above, this could be used to mow down blockers in the end of combat step (since the blockers will have taken damage and still be considered "blocking"). It's also a little insurance against random token swarms and the stuff that untaps through Meekstone. It might be too cute though...

Captain Sisay: As the number of legendary things in the deck increases, Captain Sisay gets better and better. Time of Need is another option, but it only gets creatures.

Coalition Relic: This might be better than Chromatic Lantern as Derevi can untap it to add more counters.

Thread Information