Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Deck] U/B DelverTempo

Re: [Deck] U/B DelverTempo

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    If you are worried about elves, you are in black, which sports some of the best removal for the pointy-eared wretches in Toxic Deluge and Perish. Even Engineered Plague. I think elves loses post-board. Plus, between wastes and sinkhole, they will have a hard time keeping a Cradle on the table, and that will really help us.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Good points, I totally overlooked those.

Also, has anyone considered splashing white for stoneforge? Might even be able to play a vindicate or two as extra land hate, and removal for planeswalkers. There are a number of advantages to doing so, though we would need to carefully examine the creature selection and mana base to avoid reinventing esperblade.

Anyone tried using marsh casualties in the sideboard? Seems like it would be quite good for taking out opposing TNNs while leaving our own intact. Should also be useful against D&T.

I'm afraid that a 2-c list just isn't going to be able to hack it. I wish it would but I don't think it will.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The deck took 2nd at a 30 man. ! http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15844&d=297264&f=LE

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

Coming from Modern, Death's Shadow is a potential addition for this deck.

I brewed up a UB Delver/Death's Shadow list that even out tempos RUG Delver. The spells cost all basically 0 or 1 mana and the deck operates well with only one land in play. The deck has some weak match ups (burn obviously), but gave me a overall pretty positive winning rate against an open field (Xmage, serious, rated).

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Death's Shadow
    3 Gurmag Angler
    4 Street Wraith

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Snuff Out

4 Watery Grave
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    4 Wasteland

SB

3 Flusterstorm
    2 Duress
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Toxic Deluge

The deck is still in development, so I'm curious about any feedback on the deck. What would you cut/add to that list?

May 2015
    PDX

Is the point of your deck to be budget @DonD? If not, there amount of dual lands should outnumber the shocklands. There should also be an amount of basics, which feeds back into fixing the fetch lands to match.

If it was me, I'd generally gear the deck towards fixing the structural flaw of dumping colored non-tramplers on top of your other colored non-tramplers. Trying to preserve the fairly linear gameplan, for me the deck would look like:

-Lands (18)
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Watery Grave
    2x Underground Sea
    1x Swamp
    1x Island
    1x Bayou
    4x Wasteland

-Creatures (13)
    4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Death's Shadow
    2x DRS
    3x Gurmag Angler

-Spells (29)
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Daze
    4x Stifle
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Berserk
    2x Snuff Out
    1x Reanimate
    1x Noxious Revival

There's definitely room in the maindeck to trim cards and make room for an amount of Ponder. As far as cutting the Street Wraith and moving to 1x Watery Grave, I don't think this deck is really that desperate for ways to lose life given that it runs Daze and 8x fetches to find Watery Grave. The secondary fetch being Misty Rainforest and Bayou can just as easily be interchanged with Tropical Island and Verdant Catacombs.

The SB choices seem fine, but I think you're going overboard on the yard hate with Cage. Fatal Push on top of your 4x Snuff Out is also overkill. Cards I'd like to see in the SB include Lilly, Last Hope, Dread of Night, and probably an amount of Abrupt Decay. There's also plenty of ways to go up cards by paying life if you want to approach sideboarded games vs control in that way (things like Skeletal Scrying and even Infernal Contract). As far as life total shenanigans go, it's pretty easy to kill Griselbrand and Tendrils users with a card like False Cure (this card also potentially has text against StP) if you want style points. Cards also exist to combat the mechanic of life gain (Forsaken Wastes) and that effect can be extended to include nullifying damage prevention (Everlasting Torment). Attacking the mechanic of life gain pretty specialized and narrow, but it is a unique thing the legacy card pool allows. Getting off that life gain tangent, you have to be able to beat Chalice with your sideboard strategy and your list does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Is the point of your deck to be budget @DonD? If not, there amount of dual lands should outnumber the shocklands. There should also be an amount of basics, which feeds back into fixing the fetch lands to match.

If it was me, I'd generally gear the deck towards fixing the structural flaw of dumping colored non-tramplers on top of your other colored non-tramplers. Trying to preserve the fairly linear gameplan, for me the deck would look like:

-Lands (18)
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Watery Grave
    2x Underground Sea
    1x Swamp
    1x Island
    1x Bayou
    4x Wasteland

-Creatures (13)
    4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Death's Shadow
    2x DRS
    3x Gurmag Angler

-Spells (29)
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Daze
    4x Stifle
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Berserk
    2x Snuff Out
    1x Reanimate
    1x Noxious Revival

There's definitely room in the maindeck to trim cards and make room for an amount of Ponder. As far as cutting the Street Wraith and moving to 1x Watery Grave, I don't think this deck is really that desperate for ways to lose life given that it runs Daze and 8x fetches to find Watery Grave. The secondary fetch being Misty Rainforest and Bayou can just as easily be interchanged with Tropical Island and Verdant Catacombs.

The SB choices seem fine, but I think you're going overboard on the yard hate with Cage. Fatal Push on top of your 4x Snuff Out is also overkill. Cards I'd like to see in the SB include Lilly, Last Hope, Dread of Night, and probably an amount of Abrupt Decay. There's also plenty of ways to go up cards by paying life if you want to approach sideboarded games vs control in that way (things like Skeletal Scrying and even Infernal Contract). As far as life total shenanigans go, it's pretty easy to kill Griselbrand and Tendrils users with a card like False Cure (this card also potentially has text against StP) if you want style points. Cards also exist to combat the mechanic of life gain (Forsaken Wastes) and that effect can be extended to include nullifying damage prevention (Everlasting Torment). Attacking the mechanic of life gain pretty specialized and narrow, but it is a unique thing the legacy card pool allows. Getting off that life gain tangent, you have to be able to beat Chalice with your sideboard strategy and your list does not.
    Thx a lot for your feedback! Really appreciated

I was initially running 1 swamp, 2 grave, 2 sea but was often unable to get Death's Shadow into play due to not being at low enough life. The basic swamp also doesn't work with Daze, so I cut it. With the 4 grave configuration I got hosed by wasteland into surgical, so I switched to a 3/1 configuration (sea for dimir, overgrown tomb if DRS is included).

4 Snuff Out main was a mistake, since there are some match-ups where it really sucks. I have to think about a main deck removal suite I want, that is useful in multiple match-ups.

Street Wraith is a weak card that can potentially be replaced, but it helps set up early Death's Shadow AND Angler.

So overall, I'm going to test different md configurations and then report back. The SB is also going to change depending on the main configuration tested.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Don D View Post
    Thx a lot for your feedback! Really appreciated

I was initially running 1 swamp, 2 grave, 2 sea but was often unable to get Death's Shadow into play due to not being at low enough life. The basic swamp also doesn't work with Daze, so I cut it. With the 4 grave configuration I got hosed by wasteland into surgical, so I switched to a 3/1 configuration (sea for dimir, overgrown tomb if DRS is included).

4 Snuff Out main was a mistake, since there are some match-ups where it really sucks. I have to think about a main deck removal suite I want, that is useful in multiple match-ups.

Street Wraith is a weak card that can potentially be replaced, but it helps set up early Death's Shadow AND Angler.

So overall, I'm going to test different md configurations and then report back. The SB is also going to change depending on the main configuration tested.
    The issue with not running basic Swamp is that it's the color your deck wins with, and the condition for alt-casting spells like Snuff Out or Massacre. Your deck will also be black enough that it can hobble along on the mono-black plan. In the rough draft I posted, there are only 18 cards (16 blue, 2 green) which you can't cast with a basic Swamp opener.

The worst land in your deck will actually be the green one (either Trop or Bayou), and it will cost you games - still it's going to be a land you need to have. The losses a green land causes are offset with higher DRS numbers, with victories on the back of being more resistant to Wasteland and having maindeck hate vs yard-based strategies. While on the topic of green, it's incredibly important to remember that Berserk is also a removal spell as you go forward and settle on a removal suite.

If you're going in Death's Shadow's route, you should really pay attention to Josh Utter-Leyton's UB Shadow from GP Vegas.
    While it underperformed Day 2, it went home at 8-1 (or 7-1-1) on Day 1 IIRC.

4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder
    4x Stifle
    2x Spell Pierce
    3x Fatal Push
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    1x Dismember
    4x Street Wraith
    4x Death's Shadow
    4x Delver of Secrets
    2x Gurmag Angler

4x Wasteland
    4x Watery Grave
    1x Underground Sea
    2x Flooded Strand
    2x Marsh Flats
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Scalding Tarn
    1x Misty Rainforest

2x Engineered Explosives
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Dread of Night
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Spell Pierce
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Submerge
    "Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoat!"

It's a very cool list,I played something similar some time ago. I will probably play this list next Sunday.

The only problem I have with the list, is that Elves is a very tough match up. Probably have a marsh casualties or a toxic deluge in the side for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    It's a very cool list,I played something similar some time ago. I will probably play this list next Sunday.

The only problem I have with the list, is that Elves is a very tough match up. Probably have a marsh casualties or a toxic deluge in the side for that one.
    I'd think that 3x Push and 1x Dismember in the main + 2x EE, 2x Submerge and 2x Cage from the board is more than enough to keep elves at bay.
    "Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoat!"

Thread Information