Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIGHT ME! Top 8 at SCG Seattle with Zoo

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: FIGHT ME! Top 8 at SCG Seattle with Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by monovfox View Post
    Aether vial looks at the number of counters it has on it after you pass priority back. It will have 0 counters on it, and thus no longer be able to bring in the 1, 2, 3, or 15 drop.

So, TL;DR, grudging in response to the vial was good, and even though you played it differently, I think you played it fine. Just wanted to point out the line you missed.
    While it is true that Vial checks the number of counters upon resolution, if you destroy it in response there is no Vial to check for counters, therefore the game uses Last Known Information.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ElricTheWhiteWolf View Post
    While it is true that Vial checks the number of counters upon resolution, if you destroy it in response there is no Vial to check for counters, therefore the game uses Last Known Information.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

I believe this is the relevant section in the comprehensive rules:

112.7a [...] In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it’s expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    ...and KotR, GSZ, StoP as well as Thalia are clear Maverick-Staples. I don't get your point. Does Nacatl define Zoo no matter the other 71 cards? Does FoW label every deck as Control?

I agree, this isn't Zoo, this is GW/r PunMav with Nacatl over Noble H. Which made me disappointed because I wanted to read a Zoo report.

Either way it's not that big a deal, congrats on the finish!!
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I will say that this deck is certainly closer to maverick than any other big zoo deck that I have seen.

Why no Sylvan Library? It is consistently the best card in my deck basically in every match up other than combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Why no Sylvan Library? It is consistently the best card in my deck basically in every match up other than combo.
    This is pretty stupid, but... it dates back to my days when I was a weaker player and would always find a way to kill myself or otherwise misplay using Sylvan Library. I know it's completely irrational, but it's personal preference.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Look at that! Decks with Wild Nacatl, Lightning Bolt, and Noble Hierarch... 100% Zoo.

It's not so much the cards that are lumping the deck into a category, but the way the cards play together. Including Wild Nacatl and quad Lightning Bolt means you're playing aggressively, attacking a life total fast and hard. That's closer to Zoo than it is to Maverick.

Mother of Runes is archetypical to Maverick.
    Wild Nacatl and Lightning Bolt are archetypical to Zoo.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Look at that! Decks with Wild Nacatl, Lightning Bolt, and Noble Hierarch... 100% Zoo.

It's not so much the cards that are lumping the deck into a category, but the way the cards play together. Including Wild Nacatl and quad Lightning Bolt means you're playing aggressively, attacking a life total fast and hard. That's closer to Zoo than it is to Maverick.

Mother of Runes is archetypical to Maverick.
    Wild Nacatl and Lightning Bolt are archetypical to Zoo.
    My problem with "the way the cards play together" is that having STP and Grove in the deck contrast differently from the Zoo of the past which pretty much always ran Path over STP specifcally for the life. I'm fine with the Big Zoo name though...

Cool deck and nice finish. You have dedication to play Zoo through all these years...I lost my way a long time ago. I wanted to test a list with Burning-Tree Emissary recently but with the GP approaching I've gotta focus my energy on my main deck (Elves!).

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation.

I believe this is the relevant section in the comprehensive rules:
    Well shit. I lost a win and in because the guy convince me otherwise. Goddammit.
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post

It's not so much the cards that are lumping the deck into a category, but the way the cards play together. Including Wild Nacatl and quad Lightning Bolt means you're playing aggressively, attacking a life total fast and hard.
    Exactly. Stop looking at just 8 cards, look at the entire deck. GSZ, Swords, PFires **no goyfs**, that's more Maverick than it is Zoo.

Either way it doesn't matter. How can it be a Zoo deck if it doesn't play Goyfs??? Stop being silly you silly goose.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Silverback Kird Ape

Jan 2009
    Sweden

First of all congrats on the great job and nice finish, I'm insanely happy to see this deck continue to perform. :) I was rooting SO HARD for you in the top 8!

And regarding wether the deck should be labeled as Maverick or Big zoo, as a longtime connoisseur of Wild Nacatl I definitely think it's zoo. Just because a deck shares a significant number of cards with Maverick doesn't automatically make it a Maverick deck, it's more about how those cards play and interact together as Koby pointed out.
    Most of what I'm writing now should be obvious but I'll say it anyway, in Maverick there is a bigger focus on utility and answering/disrupting the opponents threats/gameplan as opposed to zoo were you're a straight aggro deck to a higher degree. GSZ, KotR, Hierarch, Pridemage, etc are all flexible cards that can fill both those roles well, and fits multiple strategies. Lightning Bolt and Wild Nacatl on the other hand does not fit the Maverick gameplan very well...
    Last edited by Pellefant; 10-29-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Great report. Contratulations on the finish.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I always thought mom meant maverick and nacatl meant zoo. If they were ever combined I think the deck would have to be called "Cat Ladies". Zoo tends to play 10-14 removals where maverick relies on mom protection to get through and ususally only ever plays 8 removals at most. Also the lack of equipment is a big indication of zoo. I only add my input because if there is anything I know about magic, it is eternal evolutions of Three-Deuce.

Also, grats on doing well with Zoo. Takes real stones to bring kitties to class with all the spaghetti monsters these days. Last time I played Zoo I got 66th and was heartbroken. Had to switch to punishing maverick after that, but hope to one day bust out my nacatls again.

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

This deck is Show and Tell.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I always thought mom meant maverick and nacatl meant zoo. If they were ever combined I think the deck would have to be called "Cat Ladies". Zoo tends to play 10-14 removals where maverick relies on mom protection to get through and ususally only ever plays 8 removals at most. Also the lack of equipment is a big indication of zoo. I only add my input because if there is anything I know about magic, it is eternal evolutions of Three-Deuce.
    These are the criteria that I base the names off as well.
    Maverick, to me, plays a bit more mana denial as well with Thalia, Wasteland, and Knight of the Reliquary.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Guys... the deck is called "Nacatl Rock"...
    Humphrey is always correct.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

The fact that anybody had faith enough to include Wild Nacatl in their deck brings a tear to my eye.

That is all, Nice report.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I'm gonna double post, this is also Big Zoo. It's a Noble Hierarch deck with KoTR/Nacatl/and Burn. Punishing Big Zoo is 100% accurate

Thread Information