Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bertoncini, back in business.

Re: Bertoncini, back in business.

I could care less if he's playing Magic again.

If he were apologetic and made any attempt to acknowledge that he was a short sighted stupid kid too caught up with winning, I might give him the benefit of the doubt and have sympathy for him. What do we get instead?

What's the most misunderstood card in Legacy? Explore

Looks like a good indication that he has no conscience at all. He'll make a great politician.

I don't understand unbanning such a savage piece of shit. It benefits nobody. The DCI is never worse off for having him never play again. Nothing positive can ever happen for anyone other than him. This isn't voting, or driving, or bearing arms ... it's sanctioned Magic.

There's a variety of motivations to cheat. As far as compulsive cheaters go, I don't think I've ever seen one that was able to stop.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

The written coverage doesn't make any mention at all about Alex's past. I didn't watch the live coverage - did they omit his history there as well?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    The written coverage doesn't make any mention at all about Alex's past. I didn't watch the live coverage - did they omit his history there as well?
    Dont think they referenced it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

What's the most misunderstood card in Legacy? Explore

Looks like a good indication that he has no conscience at all. He'll make a great politician.
    Guy can't make joke? Imho he even makes fun of himself...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Combined with the "Miss Me" and such, it kinda comes off as arrogant and douchey. I'm fine with arrogance, but if you are being arrogant about being a cheater and winning and getting banned for it, then I have a problem with it.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

They deliberately kept him off of coverage for as long as possible, until he made it to the finals and it became unavoidable. They also seemed to try to mention his name as little as possible. There was a weird tension in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    They deliberately kept him off of coverage for as long as possible, until he made it to the finals and it became unavoidable. They also seemed to try to mention his name as little as possible. There was a weird tension in the air.
    I was noticing this too. I wondered why he was never on a feature match the entire top 8.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

I'm not a Bertoncini fanboy by any means, but the guy "did his time." I assume that his opponent's are watching him like a hawk and we'd hear about it if he was caught getting a single GRV. I'd give him a break, unless there is proof he's cheating again.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

He can make fun about mistakes he did, but this looks like adding insult to injury to all his victims. It's not like he showed any sign of humility in the past 1,5 years. I can't understand SCG for not lifetime-ban him from their tournaments after he damaged their reputation in such a way.

Funny that he was immediately able to make the finals without being able to participate in sanctioned magic for 18 months (please correct me if the ban wasn't for 18 months and my Memory fails) without any signs of rust. Seems like he worked on his dexterity lol. Noteable that his luck left as he was on camera

Sorry, but if you are a steady top performer at such big events I expect that there's always something fishy
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Some players are good. Im sure he is a good player. And Im sure he played magic in his time off. Not a fan of his but I mean he seems like a generally good player. Especially compared the average Open competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    He can make fun about mistakes he did, but this looks like adding insult to injury to all his victims. It's not like he showed any sign of humility in the past 1,5 years. I can't understand SCG for not lifetime-ban him from their tournaments after he damaged their reputation in such a way.

Funny that he was immediately able to make the finals without being able to participate in sanctioned magic for 18 months (please correct me if the ban wasn't for 18 months and my Memory fails) without any signs of rust. Seems like he worked on his dexterity lol. Noteable that his luck left as he was on camera

Sorry, but if you are a steady top performer at such big events I expect that there's always something fishy
    Presumably, he was able to practice with friends or whatever while he was banned. It's not like Wizards can prevent you from acquiring product.

Also, can't you play on MTGO while being banned from tournaments? IIRC you can't really win anything in the big ones like MOCS, but you might still be able to do 8-mans.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

As far as compulsive cheaters go, I don't think I've ever seen one that was able to stop.
    This.

My brother used to cheat now and again at everything from Monopoly to Axis and Allies to poker when we were growing up. He is four years older and just wanted to get one over on me, my cousins, my friends, etc. I don't know that we ever caught him, but he always revealed that he had done so after the game. He would laugh at us and tell us about how he was on the ropes, would have lost for sure, and just wanted to have some fun at our expense. As an adult, my brother is honest to a fault.

This is not what motivates this guy. I bet it is compulsive. He has done so on camera for Pete's sake. He even continued to do so after getting a reputation. It is like a guy with a gambling problem or a thrill-seeker.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    There were several others, of course. In the end, basically everyone was calling for a suspensions. He was suspended...
    ..the week after he won the SCG Invitational ($10.000 + Power9).
    I'm not sure about the Power 9, but I remember SCG revoked his prize money due to the ban, and then made it official policy that anyone under investigation by the DCI will have their prizes withheld until said investigation is over.

As to his lack of feature matches in the Grand Prix, in a way it's problematic, because it's much harder to get away with cheating on a feature match.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Funny that he was immediately able to make the finals without being able to participate in sanctioned magic for 18 months (please correct me if the ban wasn't for 18 months and my Memory fails) without any signs of rust.
    Hasn't Jon Finkel been away for longer periods of time than that before coming back and getting a big finish?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Presumably, he was able to practice with friends or whatever while he was banned. It's not like Wizards can prevent you from acquiring product.

Also, can't you play on MTGO while being banned from tournaments? IIRC you can't really win anything in the big ones like MOCS, but you might still be able to do 8-mans.
    i came across his MTGO stream on twitch a little while back—seems he was able to play dailies or at least 8-4's. i remember thinking to myself "at least its impossible for him to cheat on MODO!" then part of me died a little when i realized he'd probably ghost if he had the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I'm not sure about the Power 9, but I remember SCG revoked his prize money due to the ban, and then made it official policy that anyone under investigation by the DCI will have their prizes withheld until said investigation is over.

As to his lack of feature matches in the Grand Prix, in a way it's problematic, because it's much harder to get away with cheating on a feature match.

Hasn't Jon Finkel been away for longer periods of time than that before coming back and getting a big finish?
    It was the SCG Open which made it more awkward because that is the series he was cheating on a lot. Probably was why he was never on cam.

As for Finkel I forget the amount of time, but he did come back and Top 8'd a GP with Esper Spirits in Standard. Double Drogskol Captain was pretty insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    It was the SCG Open which made it more awkward because that is the series he was cheating on a lot. Probably was why he was never on cam.
    Whoops! For some reason I thought it was the Washington GP.

They should take back his prizes. Everyone in big tournaments should sign on something like "if you get caught for cheating you lose your prizes". Like athletics and doping.

Then 2 year ban for first cheating and lifetime for second.

My two cents.

Thread Information