Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1397

Thread: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Quote Originally Posted by wasabizod View Post
    What do you cut for Sudden Shock and Pyroclasm post board? 2 Spell Pierce?
    Yes. I might add a sideboarding guide for OmniSneak to the primer.
    Twitter: @JPAnghelescu

played in my first competitive event with omni sneak today. beat shardless BUG and grixis delver 2-1, beat leovold BUG and aluren 2-0 and 2 ID into top 8. I then lost to infect in the quarterfinals.

Sideboarding against infect what do you board in? do you bring in defense grids? I didn't board them in because I wanted to interract with the pump spells

Quote Originally Posted by vcaram View Post
    Sideboarding against infect what do you board in? do you bring in defense grids? I didn't board them in because I wanted to interract with the pump spells
    You are correct leaving out defense grid. I tend to board out my cunning wishes here as they tend to be slow and clunky and you shouldn't have to deal with bridge/humility. I also side out the singleton impulse. I then bring in any Pyro blasts, blood moons, and if you run any split second cards as wish targets since they trump pump spells, but aren't worth 5-6 mana it takes to search and cast them.

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    I went 12-3 at GP Louisville with OmniSneak, finishing 25th.

I made some changes to my old stock list, most notably going up to 4 Preordain (cutting basic Mountain and 1 Spell Pierce) and swapping Blood Moon for Defense Grid. Even more like classic Sneak and Show, I feel that OmniSneak needs 12 cantrips, it makes the deck much more smooth. Blood Moon is much more crucial in classic Sneak and Show, since it protects from Karakas, while OmniSneak doesn't care about Karakas as often, so I decided to add Defense Grid to improve the Delver matchup.
    I like this new list a lot, two friends of mine finished 11-4 and 10-5 with the exact same 75.

My matchups were:

Rd. 1+2 Byes
    Rd. 3 Infect 2-0
    Rd. 4 Aggro Loam 2-1
    Rd. 5 Stifle Confidant BUG Delver 0-2 (horrible matchup)
    Rd. 6 UB Reanimator 2-0
    Rd. 7 ANT 2-1
    Rd. 8 White Eldrazi 2-1
    Rd. 9 Death and Taxes 1-2

Rd. 10 Omnitell 2-1
    Rd. 11 Esper Blade 2-0
    Rd. 12 4c Delver 2-0
    Rd. 13 Elves 2-1
    Rd. 14 Lands 2-0
    Rd. 15 Grixis Delver 0-2
    What impression have you got beetwen omniskeak and SandS? Is there any significative difference?

Went 3-0 tonight with a pretty stock list.

My flex spots are an Omniscience in the main and a Jace. 4x Spell Pierce and 4x Force of Will. Everything else pretty normal.

Round 1 - Lands (2-1)

This was against a buddy of mine who is very good with the deck.

Game 1 I drop a pretty early Omniscience off of Show and Tell and dropped Emrakul.

Game 2 he got me in a very fast Ghost Quarter lock with Exploration and Life from the Loam.

Game 3 he had a lot of hate out and kept me off of sneak attack mana (He had a Sphere of Resistance and a Chalice on one) but I was able to just play Show and Tell Emrakul and got there through a Maze of Ith after a turn or two.

Round 2 - TNN Midrange (2-0)

Game 1 I had a turn 3 Omniscience into Jace (after a little Thoughtseize counter battle) and that was game.

Game 2 I had a Sneak Attacking Emrakul that wiped out all his permanents except TNN. Played a Jace and Brainstormed and he was forced to kill it with TNN. Looking back on it, I probably should have just fatesealed myself to keep Jace alive, but my life total was at 7 so I was kind of in a hurry. I top decked Emrakul and won.

Round 3 - Turbo Depths (2-0)

Game 1 I had a turn 3 Show and Tell into Omniscience. He put in an Urborg off S and T. I then Brainstormed into the Griselbrand that I knew was on the top of my deck, drew 7 cards and played Emrakul to win.

Game 2 was the weirdest game I have played. I keep a hand with 2 fetches and an Island, a Sneak Attack, Griselbrand, Omniscience, and Brainstorm. He Thoughtseizes me and takes Omniscience, then plays a Pithing Needle naming Griselbrand. I top deck a Blood Moon, and play it the next turn. He fetches a basic forest in response. I then play Sneak Attack and hit him for 7 (cuz why not) and then the game got weird.

I played a second blood moon, then a pithing needle (hexmage) and another pithing needle (Stage cuz sure?) and another Sneak Attack. He plays two Elvish Spirit Guides. In the meantime I hit him with another Griselbrand and went up to 30.

I drew land. That's it. Ponders were bricking, Preordains were shit. He had me at 8 off the two Spirit Guides. I Ponder, and shuffle. I draw and it's Emmy and I swing for the win.

Super weird game.

Overall I love the deck. It was only the second time I have played it. I don't have any Cities yet, so I will prioritize one or two of those and then probably a Through the Breach. I have one Omni in the main and one in the side, and it overperformed. Loved it.

Has anyone tried a main deck boseiju? does it improve your match ups against coutnterspell based decks or is it just slowing down the deck?

Has anyone tried a main deck boseiju? does it improve your match ups against coutnterspell based decks or is it just slowing down the deck?
    I am planning on trying one mainboard this next week since I only have one City in the mail.

I think it will help with all the Bug running around my shop, although last week I didn't have trouble with the one bug list I played.

Could JPA or anyone familiar with OmniSneak builds comment on sideboarding for this deck?

For ex., do you usually board in cards like Flusterstorm and REB against the blue decks, or do you expect to tutor for them as needed with Cunning Wish?
    I find that sideboarding with this version of the deck is kind of a catch 22, because bringing in your silver bullets makes your Cunning Wishes pretty bad.

Also, in what matches do you board out Omniscience?

Thanks

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

It can be viable in a small, known metagame. I generally don't like it, since most counter-based decks don't have an overload of counters pre-board anyway. Post-board, when they load up on REBs, Flusterstorms, etc., it's much more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by timmytaplands View Post
    For ex., do you usually board in cards like Flusterstorm and REB against the blue decks, or do you expect to tutor for them as needed with Cunning Wish?
    I find that sideboarding with this version of the deck is kind of a catch 22, because bringing in your silver bullets makes your Cunning Wishes pretty bad.
    Boarding in wish-targets is tricky business and varies depending on matchup. For instance, against D&T you should board in Sudden Shock (alongside Pyroclasm) to have more outs against Sanctum Prelate on 3. Wish still finds Kozilek's Return anyway, the highest impact wish-target against D&T.

Against Storm, I like to board in Red Elemental Blast to be able to counter their early cantrips. Flusterstorm usually stays in the board, since having access to three pseudo-4-mana Flusterstorms is much more effective than having access to one 1-mana Flusterstorm. I even considered boarding out 1 Force of Will against them to have access to 6, and even though I discarded that idea, I'm still unsure whether it might be correct after all.

Against faster combo decks like Reanimator, I can afford to board in Flusterstorm, since Wishing for it is usually too slow against them, while still having access to three 3-mana Surgical Extractions via Wish, which can also be too slow, but provide a strong mid-game disruption after I hopefully managed to fend off their early combo attempts with Spell Pierce / Flusterstorm / FoW.

Quote Originally Posted by timmytaplands View Post
    Also, in what matches do you board out Omniscience?
    Boarding out Omniscience is a viable strategy against most Delver variants, since they usually can't answer your creature once it hits the battlefield. That changes slightly against versions with cards like Liliana of the Veil or multiple Diabolic Edicts.
    Twitter: @JPAnghelescu

Re: [DTB] Sneak and Show

Hey guys - I participated in the SCG team constructed open in Baltimore this past weekend and it was an absolute blast.

My team came in 16th place out of over 300 teams (first time SCG hitting a cap?)

I was debating between U/B reanimator and traditional stock Sneak and Show, but decided to go with the latter because I expected surgicals and deathrites to be everywhere (I was right).

My record was 11-3 for the weekend (I didn't have to finish one match because my teammates both lost when I started my game 3).

I won’t do a match by match tournament report, instead I want to discuss sideboarding strategies for certain matchups and hopefully provide valuable commentary on the current metagame and how to approach it on a strategic level.

Here is the decklist:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=111735

Creatures (8)
    • 4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    • 4 Griselbrand
    Lands (19)
    • 3 Island
    • 3 Ancient Tomb
    • 2 City of Traitors
    • 2 Flooded Strand
    • 2 Misty Rainforest
    • 2 Polluted Delta
    • 2 Scalding Tarn
    • 3 Volcanic Island
    Spells (33)
    • 4 Lotus Petal
    • 4 Sneak Attack
    • 4 Brainstorm
    • 1 Flusterstorm
    • 4 Force of Will
    • 3 Spell Pierce
    • 3 Gitaxian Probe
    • 4 Ponder
    • 2 Preordain
    • 4 Show and Tell
    Sideboard
    • 2 Defense Grid
    • 1 Engineered Explosives
    • 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    • 1 Grim Lavamancer
    • 2 Omniscience
    • 1 Echoing Truth
    • 1 Flusterstorm
    • 1 Kozilek's Return
    • 1 Pyroblast
    • 1 Red Elemental Blast
    • 1 Vendilion Clique
    • 1 Pyroclasm

Here are the decks I played against:

Day 1:

Rd 1: Miracles (1-1) – this was the match I never got to play out
    Rd 2: Shardless BUG (2-0)
    Rd 3: Reanimator U/B (2-1)
    Rd 4: Death and Taxes (2-0)
    Rd 5: Miracles (2-0)
    Rd 6: Shardless BUG (2-0)
    Rd 7: Grixis Delver (2-0)
    Rd 8: Miracles (1-2)
    Rd 9: UR Delver (2-0) - Feature Match (Game 1 was insane, check it out!) Starts at 10:31:30: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123121112

My record: 7-1, Team record 7-2, advances to day 2

Day 2:

Rd 10: Miracles (2-0)
    Rd 11: Omni Sneak (2-0)
    Rd 12: Omni Sneak (2-0)
    Rd 13: Elves (2-0)
    Rd 14: Grixis Delver (0-2)
    Rd 15: Miracles (1-2)

My record: 11-3, Team record 10-5

Interesting trends I noticed:

The team constructed metagame skews towards blue decks – I only played against 2 decks without brainstorm and FOW in their deck! This means I only really had one ‘free’ win during the whole tournament (vs. Andrew Jessup on Elves). In a typical legacy tournament, we should face aggro loam, lands, and other concoctions during day 1.

The good thing is Miracles and Shardless/Leovold BUG were everywhere, which should be good matchups for us. This is further supported by the fact that sneak and show was the third most popular archetype day 2, behind miracles and delver.

It’s been a couple of years since I played this deck, so I was unsure about sideboarding vs. delver and miracles. I would love to hear thoughts and feedback from everyone, especially the sneak and show veterans!

SB plan vs. miracles:

-2 petal
    -2 FOW
    -1 Probe
    -1 Emrakul

+1 pyroblast
    +1 REB
    +2 defense grid
    +1 clique
    +1 EE

Not sure if I’m suppose to bring in flusterstorm as well, or if EE is even necessary, but I wanted to be able to remove counterbalance if one resolves and have an out vs. containment priest. One of my miracles opp said I should bring in grim lavamancer in because they literally can’t win the game if it’s in play.

SB plan vs. delver (grixis and bug)

-2 FOW
    -1 Probe
    -1 Emrakul
    -1 Spell pierce

+1 pyroblast
    +1 REB
    +2 defense grid
    +1 flusterstorm

Both variants of delver are problematic because of the discard they pack. Looking back I believe I should probably side out a couple more probes/preordain and side in grim lavamancer, pyroclasm and kozilek’s return vs. grixis. They usually can’t afford to play around these and you just get so much time if you get rid of their threats. Vs. bug I’m completely unsure, since goyf doesn’t die to those effects, but lavamancer is probably still good enough to side in, and maybe EE as well, since it can kill goyfs.

Overall I was happy with the sideboard card choices, as every card was sided in for at least 2 matches.

The deck is very well positioned, with D&T at an all time low, and miracles being the most played deck, which also keeps delver numbers in check. My 2 losses to miracles both happened game 3, where I failed to hit a third mana source for 3-4 turns in a row. In games where I had no mana issues, I crushed miracles pretty handily.

Side note: I used to play 2 blood moons, but was never impressed with it, but if we sideboard in a ton of removal and grim lavamancer post board vs. delver, blood moon gets a lot better. Then we just kill whatever is in play after blood moon resolves to lock up the game. What do you guys think?

Hey Hank,

It's Aaron, your round 15 Miracles opponent. Pretty stressful games lol, as all 3 of us were going into Game 3 simultaneously. One of things I fear most postboard is either Boseiju or a heavy sbed creature plan from Sneak Show. It's fairly challenging for Miracles to win Game 1s and when stuff like Grim Lavamancers or Sulfur Elementals show up postboard, even if they're not direct win conditions - it usually buys you a ton of time as you don't have to deal with pressure. They're also good answers for Containment Priest. I'm also more liberal at blasting cantrips because I don't want you to find Boseiju. Even though I knew you weren't running Boseiju - because you mulliganed postboard I was more incentived to stop you from smoothing out your hands. I personally knew about your list because of the Day 1 coverage so I did leave in 1-2 plows as a hedge but obviously if this were a normal event, I wouldn't have done that. The Defense Grids were also pretty annoying too - I hadn't seen those in some time. Anyways, thanks for the most stressful team match of the tournament : )
    "Take your time."

Legacy: UWR Miracles
    Vintage: UW Landstill

Quote Originally Posted by hyp3r1on View Post
    Hey Hank,

It's Aaron, your round 15 Miracles opponent. Pretty stressful games lol, as all 3 of us were going into Game 3 simultaneously. One of things I fear most postboard is either Boseiju or a heavy sbed creature plan from Sneak Show. It's fairly challenging for Miracles to win Game 1s and when stuff like Grim Lavamancers or Sulfur Elementals show up postboard, even if they're not direct win conditions - it usually buys you a ton of time as you don't have to deal with pressure. They're also good answers for Containment Priest. I'm also more liberal at blasting cantrips because I don't want you to find Boseiju. Even though I knew you weren't running Boseiju - because you mulliganed postboard I was more incentived to stop you from smoothing out your hands. I personally knew about your list because of the Day 1 coverage so I did leave in 1-2 plows as a hedge but obviously if this were a normal event, I wouldn't have done that. The Defense Grids were also pretty annoying too - I hadn't seen those in some time. Anyways, thanks for the most stressful team match of the tournament : )
    Thanks for the tip, makes total sense! I'm even thinking about running another grim lavamancer in the board - seems like it'd be good vs. miracles, delver, and D&T.

I don't like boseiju because even though it's insane vs. miracles, it's fairly terrible vs. delver, which is why I switched to defense grid. It usually baits out a FOW, while avoiding flusterstorm and pyroblast, which is more than good enough.

New lurker to this thread, so pardon me if I've missed this question somewhere (I promise I did look). What are the pros/cons of playing sneak and show vs omnisneak? Where is each deck stronger/weaker?

Also, I've seen a few recent lists playing Chandra Torch of Defiance. Why? Is there ever a reason to play it over another copy of Jace? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by timtonelli View Post
    New lurker to this thread, so pardon me if I've missed this question somewhere (I promise I did look). What are the pros/cons of playing sneak and show vs omnisneak? Where is each deck stronger/weaker?

Also, I've seen a few recent lists playing Chandra Torch of Defiance. Why? Is there ever a reason to play it over another copy of Jace? Thanks guys!
    Omniscience beats most hate cards, Karakas, containment priest, gives you outs to bridge and humility. You have to make main deck cuts for it and wish though. Normally 1 of each fatty, a sneak attack, a Petal, and some counters.

You end up with a much better D&T matchups, but are a little slower and a worse delver matchups.

As for Chandra, I think it is just immune to pyroblast.

I think the Omniscience version may also have a slightly better mirror match? If you have an omniscience plus emrakul, you can just jam the S&T without fear, plus cunning wish gives you access to through the breach.

I opted for the traditional version because D&T is seeing less play but delver is still everywhere. Also having an actual sideboard is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by timtonelli View Post

Omniscience is a dead card until you draw a SnT to go along with it and manage to successfully resolve it. Omniscience also requires you to sacrifice roughly half (or more) of your sb slots for a wishboard. This will make your sb construction more straightforward (less flex slots), which may or may not be to your liking.

On a positive note, it can win you a game without caring about combat (e.g. Ensnaring Bridge, Baleful Strix), without caring about creature prevention/removal (e.g. Containment Priest, Karakas), without caring about stuff that shuts down Griselbrand & Sneak Attack activated abilities (e.g. Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker, Stifle).

For more information about Omniscience, have a look at the mono-u OmniTell thread.

Chandra is a non-creature wincon / draw engine. We can't really protect Jace, TMS from opposing creatures to make it tick up 3->12. Ticking Chandra up 4->7, on the other hand, is more feasible. Chandra's -3 can also get rid of an opposing creature permanently instead of only bouncing, and +RR can provide mana acceleration for hardcasting & activating Sneak Attack. If you are looking for an alternative win con card other than Chandra, personally I would choose cmc5 Keranos, God of Storms over Jace, TMS into this deck.

New poster here. I confess to not having read all 51 pages of this thread, so I apologise if this has already been answered. I have played other combo decks for a long time, including mono-blue omni before dig was banned.

I see that all the Omni/Sneak hybrids at the moment are playing cunning wish. Given you're already playing red here, how come noone is playing with burning wish? You can play 4 burning wish, move a show and tell to the board and play a wish board of grapeshot/enter the infinite for the win con and overmaster for wishable counterspell interaction. Kozilek's return does at least give you a pyroclasm you can wish for, but the extra cost on both sides worries me.

I assume this has been tried, but I'm interested in people's experiences. Cunning wish has always felt really clunky to me before going off, since you're going wish->intuition->show and tell and it's more expensive.

Thanks,
    Matt

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by mjj29 View Post
    New poster here. I confess to not having read all 51 pages of this thread, so I apologise if this has already been answered. I have played other combo decks for a long time, including mono-blue omni before dig was banned.

I see that all the Omni/Sneak hybrids at the moment are playing cunning wish. Given you're already playing red here, how come noone is playing with burning wish? You can play 4 burning wish, move a show and tell to the board and play a wish board of grapeshot/enter the infinite for the win con and overmaster for wishable counterspell interaction. Kozilek's return does at least give you a pyroclasm you can wish for, but the extra cost on both sides worries me.

I assume this has been tried, but I'm interested in people's experiences. Cunning wish has always felt really clunky to me before going off, since you're going wish->intuition->show and tell and it's more expensive.

Thanks,
    Matt
    One example: Cast 1st Burning wish for the Show in sideboard. Then that Show get countered. Suddenly 2nd/3th/4th Wish become dead cards.

When Omniscience is put in play, Cunning wish has access to victory in instant speed, while Buring wish could not. Another example: Show resolved, you revealed an Omniscience, your opponent revealed a...Reclamation sage! If you have Cunning wish in hand, you win; but if Cunning wish is replaced with a Buring wish that is a GG.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    One example: Cast 1st Burning wish for the Show in sideboard. Then that Show get countered. Suddenly 2nd/3th/4th Wish become dead cards.

When Omniscience is put in play, Cunning wish has access to victory in instant speed, while Buring wish could not. Another example: Show resolved, you revealed an Omniscience, your opponent revealed a...Reclamation sage! If you have Cunning wish in hand, you win; but if Cunning wish is replaced with a Buring wish that is a GG.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the instant speed win. In this hybrid deck many times you are trying to win by showing omni then casting your fatty, which suffers from the same problem. Equally, wishing for S+T and it gets countered - well if you cunning wish for intuition for S+T and that gets countered aren't you in the same boat (but worse, because you just binned another two S+T?)

The question is whether the downsides of burning wish outweigh being able to wish on T2 (or even 1) for the S+T and win the next turn, rather than cunning wishing a turn later and then taking another whole turn to intuition.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by mjj29 View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of the instant speed win. In this hybrid deck many times you are trying to win by showing omni then casting your fatty, which suffers from the same problem. Equally, wishing for S+T and it gets countered - well if you cunning wish for intuition for S+T and that gets countered aren't you in the same boat (but worse, because you just binned another two S+T?)

The question is whether the downsides of burning wish outweigh being able to wish on T2 (or even 1) for the S+T and win the next turn, rather than cunning wishing a turn later and then taking another whole turn to intuition.
    I thought Wishing for a Intuition is more of a last resort, and you probably wish for the combo-kill out of the sb -as already said-. I never heard anyone play Burning Wish to save a SnT by siding one out. Have you tried a build with Burning Wish?
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Thread Information