Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Card Frame coming with M15

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: New Card Frame coming with M15

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    You guys find something new to cry about every week, or am I giving you too much credit? Seriously, the frame on the card could be a million donkeys and I wouldn't give two shits.

TL;DR- The Source: Your source for daycare training
    Dude, some of us care about aesthetic of this game. Feel free to not care, if you wish to. I guess that you play chess with pieces made of curd and feces.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Dude, some of us care about aesthetic of this game. Feel free to not care, if you wish to. I guess that you play chess with pieces made of curd and feces.
    No I use lucky cats feet and fingers of fallen enemies.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

I wish they'd taken this opportunity to move casting cost to the same side as the card name.
    The proper plural must be "hall of fames." You wouldn't say Halls & Oate, now, would you?

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Mewens View Post
    I wish they'd taken this opportunity to move casting cost to the same side as the card name.
    What is this I don't even.

Many people I've talked to felt that the futureshifted cards from Future Sight were easier to hold in a natural way while still displaying casting cost and name. I'm of the same opinion.
    The proper plural must be "hall of fames." You wouldn't say Halls & Oate, now, would you?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Since the color-shifted border from Planar Chaos is the only one I actually like and they said that it would never come back, I really don't care what they do, as long as it is not total clown shoes.

Luckily this is only partial clown shoes, it could have been far worse.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Sweet, now I can find out what the Language on all my English cards are without having to put any effort into reading it.

Credit card like Foil stamp? Are you trying to tell me something Wizards?

Also, to those asking why a cards colour can not just replace the black boarder on the outside of the card, I would assume it's for the same reason full art sleaves are banned.

Dice.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I'm not profoundly stirred by this change.

Actually, I have to say - I never cared for the generic "Mac OS" font in the 8th Ed frames, so at least this whole "NuMetal TrueType" thing is trying to get away from some of the sterility of that presentation.

I too am curious as to why they would take steps to prevent counterfeiting m15+ cards, when the higher dollar value would be in cards that have already been established; nothing short of a JTMS/Goyf or higher dollar value need apply, and this card frame doesn't apply to those guys -- much less anything approaching duals/Power/etc.

I guess I could do without the holographic safety seal at the bottom. It looks like where you break the meds out for the kids that have seizures whenever you play counterspells. If they still printed those, I'd totally understand their motivation. /snark

One thing I did note is that the extension of the 'blank space' at the bottom, as a continuation of their effort to separate the power and toughness box out of the original border. I seem to recall some statement back during the 8th Ed redesign where they felt its original implementation made it look too much like a throwaway or an afterthought, like it didn't bring enough attention to itself. By creating more "non-gamepiece" space at the bottom and drawing that p/t box out a little, it definitely continues that trend. Comparing it to the original Wall of Fire -- sentimentality aside, of course -- honestly after 11-or-so years of playing the game, I have to say I think I appreciate what they did there, even if it isn't familiar.

The first redux made me a little pissy, but that was a decade ago and I'd been playing for like 15 minutes. If you choked down the 8th Ed change, this one isn't even really that damn big a deal IMHO. It's like the difference in aesthetic between the movie Enterprise and Enterprise-A; there are enough changes to bother some, sure, but on the whole it is really so similar that it's hardly worth the acid reflux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Ewwwww.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Well thank fuck for this. I can't tell you how many times I've just been staring at a card wondering what language it's printed in.

And the new Beleren font? That's some hot shit right there. Just when I'm thinking R&D can't get any more creepy-obsessed with Jace, they go and name the fucking font after him. Hat tips and champagne toasts all around. Still waiting on the official R&D Jace Erotic Fanfic though.

The border makes a lot of sense, I think eventually they'll just remove the distracting colors entirely and we can just assume that any card that isn't shit is blue.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Out of the five changes, 1-3) sound like "Our Hasbro laywers told us to do so." 4) sounds alright.

Now 5) is an interesting one - why bother after years not caring, just to bring back You Make The Card? Maybe they bring back "The Invitational" back, too? They're swiming in money, after all.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Not a fan, but I get the reasoning with the changes. New card face still looks wrong to me, so this will too.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

You want a small holographic thingy to tell fakes from real cards. OK. Just print holographic set symbols. Much easier, less disturbing graphic-wise.
    Also, the ''designed by the Magic community'' flavor text on Waste Not is lame. Well, the card design itself is bullshit, but at least try to make it somewhat interesting with a brilliant flavor text. That's just cheesy.

I don't mind the new design of the card borders. They could print the cards swastika-shaped and we'd still buy them. But that Holographic thing right there just feels useless -mind you, I'm not saying that is ugly- it just feels misplaced.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

But it needs to be there. We all know when the nukes go off the currency in the wastes will be Magic cards. We need to make sure we can tell the real ones.

In all reality, to everyone saying that the real money cards have already been printed, your preaching to the converted. But if they have to, for say legal reasons, make the cards harder to counterfeit, they have to start somewhere. Since they can't start in the past, might as well start now.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Credit card like Foil stamp? Are you trying to tell me something Wizards?
    I'm waiting for the day that I can swipe my Jace 5.0 at a Starbucks and pay for coffee using my modo tickets.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    I'm waiting for the day that I can swipe my Jace 5.0 at a Starbucks and pay for coffee using my modo tickets.
    Do you get store credit instead of change as well?

Dec 2011
    Spain

I strongly hate the new font as well as that "black thing" at the bottom of the card. It looks really bad in Wall of Fire, and I imagine it will look the same for all cards but black ones.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Just noticed and did not see anyone else mention it...
    The shortened color frame has been printed on every planeswalker.

Somebody else said it first, but the hologram should have been the set symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    ... the design is flawed as the cutoff line for the unnecessarily shorter color frame doesn't align with anything meaningful and loses its function as a frame as it is not covering a meaningful area.
    I totally agree. I think the critique of the design is very valid. This point alone is why I think it's yet another downgrade to the aesthetics. The "look" of my cards has always been important to me. This is why I specifically choose which basic lands I want to run or which version of a card's art I want a playset of.
    Two cents.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    official R&D Jace Erotic Fanfic.
    Nice oxymoron. :)

On a serious note, all of these changes are complete mehs. I like the old frame as much as the next guy, but I also like the 8th one a lot, but for different reasons.

The holo-foiling looks especially wonky, but I think I'll manage to adjust for that as well.
    Currently playing:

Canadian Threshold Primer!
    Team America

My blog about Legacy, limited, EDH and stuff!

Thread Information