View Poll Results: What do you hate about Magic the most?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate how I need to sort the cards

12 14.29%
  • It bothers me to meet with people

7 8.33%
  • Long tournaments are so time consuming

8 9.52%
  • Ebay, MKM and such are such a pain in the ass

1 1.19%
  • It's pestering to visit the stores

0 0%
  • I dislike to sleeve the cards

3 3.57%
  • Looking through ppl's binders is nuisance

6 7.14%
  • Carrying one's binders is nuisance

7 8.33%
  • Magic is overly expensive hobby

23 27.38%
  • Other

17 20.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: General bitching about Magic - logistic and accounts only

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

General bitching about Magic - logistic and accounts only

Ok, so this a thread for a bitching about all things related to the personal managment of the game.

What do you hate most about Magic? For quite some time I hated the need to sort the cards, but as my collection shrinks and shrinks, this is less of a concern. Otoh, my new source of annoyane are the bank fees associated with all the trafficking of cards. Also, the expenses (both time and money) associated with tournaments are pretty bothersome.

Bitching starts in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Dec 2013
    Harelbeke,Belgium

Re: General bitching about Magic - logistic and accounts only

truly it's the sorting of the cards.Jumping back into the game after a few years of absence, this is giving me some kind of punishment for putting the cards aside for so long -_-' although, now I get to see my entire collection and get a number in my head of how much it's worth ( wich is actually alot more than I thought xD )
    Starting: Goblins

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Trading. I HATE trading. Everyone is so goddamn stingy that they absolutely must make up that 47 cent difference in the $150 trade. Almost everyone has shitty standard cruft to trade and insists that dual lands and fetch lands are within their reach. It's far easier to trade my dollars for cards.

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Trading. I HATE trading. Everyone is so goddamn stingy that they absolutely must make up that 47 cent difference in the $150 trade. Almost everyone has shitty standard cruft to trade and insists that dual lands and fetch lands are within their reach. It's far easier to trade my dollars for cards.
    This exact thing has irritated me to no end recently. It's to the point I stopped bringing my binder to events unless I'm looking for a specific card.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post
    This exact thing has irritated me to no end recently. It's to the point I stopped bringing my binder to events unless I'm looking for a specific card.
    I bring it, yet I nearly never take it from the bag...

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Fully agree. What a pain in the ass was trading at the BoM ... everyone wanted to make 20€+ out of a 80€ trade. Equal trading impossible.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

trading is my big thing, I do love it when I can get extra value but its not a big deal but I hate those traders who seem that every trade has to be in their favor. Not even but like 10% or more for them to trade. Regardless of what people say Zendikar fetches etc are legacy staples and no reason why I should have to trade 2 scalding tarns [NM] for 1 badlands [SP] (for example it was something like 2x value for a badly played dual for my fetches) Or when I post something for trade and people want to offer me buy list prices or even less for my item and then get offended because they were doing me a favor.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

I dislike the average tournament participant.

Mar 2011
    Boston, MA

things that bother me in no particular order

-the ratio of sweet decks I want to play vs. number of tournaments in which to play them
    -I work saturdays, 95% of tournaments worth attending are on saturdays (this may be more a complaint about my job)
    -the logistics of getting cards for events, especially standard where I flip flop on deck choice more frequently, but more often don't have the cards for a particular deck
    -when all my friends want to do is test constructed, and all I want to do is team draft, or vice versa
    -when I want to trade for 1x [$10 standard mythic rare] and my trading partner only pulls out fetchlands+
    -tournaments in Worcester, MA. fuck that shit city
    T: @feingersh

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

When a card I want isn't in the old frame.
    The direction the game has gone with creatures.
    The lack of social skills/hygiene a good portion of the community seems to own (less of a Eternal issue, which thankfully are the only formats I play).
    The general sense of entitlement that players seem to have, along with their belief that they are owed things.
    The lack of promotion and support by WotC of their Eternal formats.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Yup, trading is usually a completely miserable experience. The cards -> $ -> pimp cards route is much better than dealing with people trying to 'value trade' you constantly.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

In regards to the trading problem, I just bring cards that I care nothing about (aka no duals, fetches, etc). My collection is pretty well rounded, so I basically do small EDH trades now and just buy any cards I absolutely need.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

My grievances:

1. The guy with the "bad" deck giving you pro tips about some aspect of the game. Oh, shit you're right! If I had 4x of some random unplayable in my board I totally would have won that. Silly me for not metagaming against your pile. Also in this category is Mr. "Still had all these" and Mr. "good game" when the game is clearly not yet over.

2. Trading. I'm somewhat guilty of this myself...but as soon as you start grabbing cards, out comes the smart phone. I can deal with wanting things to be equal. What I can't deal with is you double checking me, like my app that pulls from TCG player is somehow inferior to yours. Yep, you caught me bro. I'm just trying to rip you off for $0.50 in EDH chaff.

3. Slow players when there's no cause for slow play. This is more of a MODO thing...but still. It's turn 0, why the hell are we stopped on my upkeep for 3 minutes? Yep, it's my combat step and I have no creatures in play. Can we all move on please?

4. Jerks in general. Take, for example, the kid I beat a few weeks ago with my "casual" deck (his words) who was "used to the PTQ meta" (also his words). What he wasn't used to was showering, or being an otherwise friendly person. Also in this category are morons who can't respect women whether they're present at the tournament or not (there's a reason you're single, bro), people who "rape trade" little kids, the person who's laughing at the guy attending his first FNM because his deck isn't all that great...you get the idea.

5. When you really want to try out some deck, but there's either no tournament that you can attend or you're missing some key component to make it work.

6. Bulk. If 50%+ of people are literally throwing card X in the trash, what was the point of even printing it?

I hate real life sellers who asks for lot more than online prices. Why should i pay 50$ for something i can find for 40$ shipment included?

I miss the old days of trading when things were quoted in terms of duals (i.e. that rare is worth 2 duals or that is only have a dual). Duals were treated pretty much equally, actually Taiga was preferred in my circles because it was a "first-turn combo" with Kird Ape.

I hate players who think everytime they win it's because of their prodigious skill and when they lose, it's because you got lucky or they got screwed, etc.

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

Between working full time and a girlfriend, finding time to actually attend an event has become something that frustrates me. Yes, theres MTGO. I don't want to sit at my computer for 3+ hours after getting out of work. I would rather interact with people and relax.
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Hey fellas. I wish to inject some zen into your Magic-playing lives.
    I hate players who think everytime they win it's because of their prodigious skill and when they lose, it's because you got lucky or they got screwed, etc.
    This is actually entirely by design. Richard Garfield is on record as saying that he believes a game that gets people to feel this way keeps players coming back for more.
    This has a simple solution. If you look through someone's stuff and they have only Standard stuff to trade, you only offer Standard stuff back. If they insist they can match value with your out of print and reserved list stuff, value their Standard stuff as it should be to a Legacy player: very little. If they don't see things your way, these are not people to trade with. But make your position clear from the beginning. You don't see things rolling this way? Me neither. If I did not buy the card before it skyrocketed to ridiculous Standard prices, I have to wait until it rotates out. So I wait, and I have nobody to blame except myself.
    I dislike the average tournament participant.
    I typically encounter one person per event whom I do not care for. By and large, I really like the folks I have encountered over the past few years. Legacy is the best format for this. Better even than Vintage, I think. If you are routinely running into punk-asses or creeps, just keep in mind that you are better looking than they are, and that you could easily bang their mom if there was any way in hell you could get it up while looking at her.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

A thread for complaining, just the thing I needed! :)

Here's my list:

- Difficulty of making it to events due to work/conflicting obligations/lack of energy/difficulty of explaining how I want to spend a whole Saturday doing my own thing to wifey (in case of large events)
    - Occasional man boys, immature trust fund adolescents whom I have to socialize with to play a game every now and then. Having to put up with all sorts of immature and arrogant, comments, format discussions and general unpleasant and/or childish behavior from these individuals.
    - Continuous deterioration of the game due to radical changes from Wizards and the shrinking space (meaning formats and variety of decks) for me to enjoy the game.
    - Seeing how this MaRo guy sees and tries to treat the whole Magic community as a 10 y.o., seeing the parental arrogance in his every speech/declaration and the way he tries to feed us bullshit every time. Frustration and confusion when a large portion of the community thinks there's nothing wrong with it.
    - Urgency of Magic expenditures (over other real life needs) due to ever-present potential sudden price jumps in the Magic singles market.

Wow that took a load off my chest :D
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I stopped trading years ago, so no complaints about that department. However, since I'm now in the process of building a Cube, the amount I have to sort, bulk, and price is a daunting task. Holy fucking shit when did I acquire so much MTG cards? /wrist
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

What bugs me is the guys that have power in their trades folder, then try and rip you when they trade with you so they can get at lest a 15% profit on the trade. No joke, there are 3 people local that fit into that category.

Their justification when you pull them up on it? "Oh well you don't get ahead trading equal". My favourite part time has become looming though their folders, pulling out all the cards I want, then when they try and rip me I leave them to put all of them back again.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information