Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Spirit of the Labyrinth

[SCD] Spirit of the Labyrinth

So thoughts and evaluations from the community on Spirit of the Laybyrinth (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...d=1390194288)? Best brainstorm hate card ever printed? Will this card give Death and Taxes and/or Maverick another push? Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Re: [SCD] Spirit of the Labyrinth

This is a hard card to evaluate.

Dec 2010
    Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    So thoughts and evaluations from the community on Spirit of the Laybyrinth (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...d=1390194288)? Best brainstorm hate card ever printed? Will this card give Death and Taxes and/or Maverick another push? Discuss.
    So which "cards -> strategies" are hated by this card:

- Brainstorm (Hymn myself) -> 80% of the format
    - Sorceryspeed cantrips -> Blue control
    - Sensei's Divining Top -> Miracles
    - Griselbrand -> Sneak&Show, Reanimator
    - Enter the Infinite -> Omnitell
    - Sylvan Library -> Jund, Maverick, Team America
    - Carefull Study, Faithless Looting etc -> Dredge, Reanimator
    - Glimpse of Nature, Elvish Visionairy -> Elves

Pretty good. First True-Name Nemesis, now this.. It makes me sad.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Elf decks. It stops both Glimpse of Nature and the Elvish Visionary + Wirewood Symbiote engine. So you'll force them to either go for Natural Order or Green Sun's Zenith to fetch the Craterhoof Behemoth.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
    So which "cards -> strategies" are hated by this card:

- Brainstorm (Hymn myself) -> 80% of the format
    - Sorceryspeed cantrips -> Blue control
    - Sensei's Divining Top -> Miracles
    - Griselbrand -> Sneak&Show, Reanimator
    - Enter the Infinite -> Omnitell
    - Sylvan Library -> Jund, Maverick, Team America
    - Carefull Study, Faithless Looting etc -> Dredge, Reanimator

Pretty good. First True-Name Nemesis, now this.. It makes me sad.
    TNN was a terrible addition to the format. This is a very positive one.

Sorcery speed cantrips are also played in Tempo and combo. It doesn't do too much against SDT.

How does it interact with Dredge?

Dec 2010
    Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    TNN was a terrible addition to the format. This is a very positive one.

Sorcery speed cantrips are also played in Tempo and combo. It doesn't do too much against SDT.

How does it interact with Dredge?
    It breaks Carefull Study, Breakthrough, Faithless Looting. Every enabler of the deck except for the natural draw phase.

EDIT: I'm overreacting. The enchantment creature still has a converted manacost of 2. So Dredge and combo would've already used their cantrips/enablers.

Fantastic addition to the format. Will certainly help Death and Taxes and Maverick but I'm unfamiliar with both of those decks so I don't know if they have room for it. It seems like a card that you would "make room" for, considering how ubiquitous Brainstorm is.

As an X/1 it is affected by True-Name Nemesis-hate splash damage, though. Golgari Charm and Zealous Persecution have never been more popular and this card dies to those just the same. Not to use the dumb "it dies to everything" argument but the tools are there to keep it in check. I foresee it being a player, but not a warping influence like TNN.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Superior View Post
    Fantastic addition to the format. Will certainly help Death and Taxes and Maverick but I'm unfamiliar with both of those decks so I don't know if they have room for it. It seems like a card that you would "make room" for, considering how ubiquitous Brainstorm is.

As an X/1 it is affected by True-Name Nemesis-hate splash damage, though. Golgari Charm and Zealous Persecution have never been more popular and this card dies to those just the same. Not to use the dumb "it dies to everything" argument but the tools are there to keep it in check. I foresee it being a player, but not a warping influence like TNN.
    Maverick can easily make room for 4 SoL maindeck.

Also, once SoL resolves, you have to already have Golgari Charm/TNN splash hate in hand, otherwise, you are a slave to your natural draw step as you can no longer fire off a cantrip or two and dig for your answer. Remember too that SoL will often be played in decks running Mom, so SoL will often be protected from Bolt/StP/targeted removal, leaving you only with non-targeted removal as a means to kill dudes and only if the spell is already in hand when SoL hits play.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Maybe with something cute like Winds of Change, or as a specific sideboard card.

The thing is, that, at 2cc it seems unlikely to stop the other guy's first brainstorm or many other cantrips.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Maybe with something cute like Winds of Change, or as a specific sideboard card.

The thing is, that, at 2cc it seems unlikely to stop the other guy's first brainstorm or many other cantrips.
    SoL can't let you draw extra cards, ergo you can't skip that draw for Winds. Do I miss something?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    SoL can't let you draw extra cards, ergo you can't skip that draw for Winds. Do I miss something?
    The idea was likely to make both players discard their hands. Sweet Mind Twist, someone will surely try that somewhere sometime.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Even though I like the card and the obvious intention behind it, I have to say that it's very easy to overestimate it. Its impact on the format will not be as big as some might think. Contrary to the general perception, Blue and specifically draw effects like Brainstorm aren't as dominant as people use to think. Decks like Jund, Junk, Goblins, NicFit, Merfolk etc. are still not uncommon and this new card barely hurts these. You just can't afford to run cards that hardly do anything in a good amount of matchups. In Legacy, a important criteria for the validity of a card is its applicability in a preferably wide range of matchups and this card does certainly not fulfill this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    The idea was likely to make both players discard their hands. Sweet Mind Twist, someone will surely try that somewhere sometime.
    Almost, the opp. will draw one card.

On a side note, this certainly illustrates how much influence these internet discussions actually have on their new cards design. The demand of a Brainstorm-Hatebear has been roaming for quite some time in the forums and I'm fairly certain that this exact card had been suggested by the other user in a card creation thread.

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

It's Massacre time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    On a side note, this certainly illustrates how much influence these internet discussions actually have on their new cards design. The demand of a Brainstorm-Hatebear has been roaming for quite some time in the forums and I'm fairly certain that this exact card had been suggested by the other user in a card creation thread.
    Of course when you throw a million ideas to your left and right, at some point you are bound to score, by accident if nothing else. This tells nothing about how the community has any control over the matter.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Of course when you throw a million ideas to your left and right, at some point you are bound to score, by accident if nothing else. This tells nothing about how the community has any control over the matter.
    Yeah, this isn't a case of monkeys writing Shakespeare; this is monkeys talking about what books would be cool while in another room, Shakespeare is working on As You Like It.

I think it's a very solid hatebear (hatecat) that will help to make those so-called 'fair decks' a little more 'unfair' in that they game the 'unfair' decks into playing 'roughly as fair' as they are playing. Or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Even though I like the card and the obvious intention behind it, I have to say that it's very easy to overestimate it. Its impact on the format will not be as big as some might think. Contrary to the general perception, Blue and specifically draw effects like Brainstorm aren't as dominant as people use to think. Decks like Jund, Junk, Goblins, NicFit, Merfolk etc. are still not uncommon and this new card barely hurts these. You just can't afford to run cards that hardly do anything in a good amount of matchups. In Legacy, a important criteria for the validity of a card is its applicability in a preferably wide range of matchups and this card does certainly not fulfill this.
    Blue and Brainstorm are at an all time high thanks to TNN. According to thecouncil, those non-blue decks you cite (Goblins isn't even a thing anymore, btw) didn't even crack the top 10 decks for December 2013. In fact, 9 out of the top 10 decks for December 2013 would get hosed by Spirit of the Labyrinth (the only 1 that wouldn't would be Death and Taxes... which would likley be the only deck among those top 10 to run Spirit).

I'm not quite understanding what you think "a good amount of matchups" means. The data clearly shows that blue is seeing a ton of play and non-blue decks are falling off the map.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I'm salty. I get mauled by this and I don't even play blue. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

I believe the best fit for this hatecat is probably Deadguy Ale, simply because discard + this = turbo topdeck mode.

Thread Information