View Poll Results: Would you like to see Survival back, even if it gets other cards banned instead?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

137 78.74%
  • No

37 21.26%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like to see Survival back in the format?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Would you like to see Survival back in the format?

Survival of the Fittest

Many people love this card. Unfortunately, it was banned because it dominated with Vengevine before its ban. Necrotic Ooze combo was also part of the reasoning to ban it.

But times have changed. We now have

Scavenging Ooze
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Deathrite Shaman
    Abrupt Decay
    Rest in Peace
    Surgical Extraction

among other things to handle Survival and its problematic aspects. And that doesn't even count old answers like Pithing Needle.

My question now is: Would you like to see a paradigm shift to bring Survival back, even if it means that Vengevine (maybe Ooze and other future cards) have to go?

Re: Would you like to see Survival back in the format?

The more apt comparison is now we have Green Sun's Zenith. They both compete for business slots. We also have Craterhoof and Natural Order which is in most cases just a faster better version of the Vengevine kill (in some cases it's not, but it's certainly comprable in terms of speed and color commitment). We have Show and Tell into Yawgmoth's Bargain and Omnijoke. We cast no spells and make a 20/20 flying indestructible turd.

In addition to what you've listed, we have

Grafdigger's Cage
    Thalia

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Fuck Vengevine, and fuck Basking Rootwalla.

I found a new set of toys:

Loyal Retainers, Griselbrand, and (Necrotic Ooze). :grin:
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Scavenging Ooze
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Deathrite Shaman
    Abrupt Decay
    Rest in Peace
    Surgical Extraction
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Terminus

My question now is: Would you like a paradigm shift to see Survival back, even if it means that Vengevine (and maybe Ooze) have to go?
    Yes, I would love to see Survival back and I don't even think it's necessary to ban Vengevine (perhaps Ooze would necessitate a ban at some point). There are plenty of new cards printed that are very good against Survival, particularly Abrupt Decay and Rest in Peace.

Survival is a great example of a card that pushes a deck to be non-Blue by making every non-creature spell in your deck a potential liability. (Similar examples that come to mind are Glimpse of Nature and Aether Vial.)

I don't just think Survival is safe to unban; I think Survival would be great for the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Fuck Vengevine, and fuck Basking Rootwalla.

I found a new set of toys:

Loyal Retainers, Griselbrand, and (Necrotic Ooze). :grin:
    I would be shocked if you built a deck that DIDN'T focus on Griselbrand haha
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    Yes, I would love to see Survival back and I don't even think it's necessary to ban Vengevine (perhaps Ooze would necessitate a ban at some point). There are plenty of new cards printed that are very good against Survival, particularly Abrupt Decay and Rest in Peace.

Survival is a great example of a card that pushes a deck to be non-Blue by making every non-creature spell in your deck a potential liability. (Similar examples that come to mind are Glimpse of Nature and Aether Vial.)

I don't just think Survival is safe to unban; I think Survival would be great for the format.
    I don't pretend to be an expert on SotF. Is the consensus that most SotF decks today would be non-blue?

Mar 2007

The only problem I see with Survival is that it's on the RL. One would expect a massive price surge a few days before a possible unban. Thanks, insider trading!

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't pretend to be an expert on SotF. Is the consensus that most SotF decks today would be non-blue?
    It'd probably depend somewhat on the meta. For example, if the presence of Survival causes an increase in Storm combo then I might expect more Survival decks wanting to run FoW. In general though, the card definitely pushes a deck builder towards maximizing creature packages and minimizing spells (aka Blue cards). The latest and most successful iterations of Survival before it was banned were basically what we'd called Maverick today with the addition of Survival and Vengevine.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Would.

I'm even considering to pick up a set just in case.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Unban Survival, MM, Black Vise, Mind Twist, Mind desire, frantic search, Earthcraft, Memory jar tomorrow plz.

Yes i'd like Surv back very much. Pretty green intensive for a weaker SnT.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I would love it. FInally got my Vengevines in the mail. Would love to use them in something that isn't completely awful
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Unban Survival, MM, Black Vise, Mind Twist, Mind desire, frantic search, Earthcraft, Memory jar tomorrow plz.

Yes i'd like Surv back very much. Pretty green intensive for a weaker SnT.
    Add Skullclamp and I'd endorse this 100%, aggro needs broken shit too please.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

I think surv would mainly played in an elves! base nowadays. Time to dust off those EPlagues, and fuck you TNN

Oct 2011
    Down in a dark, cold basement.

Survival is an interesting card. I would like to see it again.
    Pre-vengevine survival decks were something elegant. They required a decent amount of thought to play and were not unstoppable machines of death. I always liked the toolbox-style of those decks, they were a good example of proper reaction to every situation. But that might just be my personal infatuation with the deck itself.

I find Vengevine to be the real culprit.
    -Magic: the Gathering L1 Judge-

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Add Skullclamp and I'd endorse this 100%, aggro needs broken shit too please.
    Elves! would become the only possible aggro deck with clamp. Which in turn would make Enginereed plague the best card in the format, and red actually good again i think. Why not. TNN isn't the best with clamp anyway.

Mar 2007

I think surv would mainly played in an elves! base nowadays. Time to dust off those EPlagues, and fuck you TNN
    Maybe, but it also has a competitor in GSZ which can accel on T1.

Elves! would become the only possible aggro deck with clamp. Which in turn would make Enginereed plague the best card in the format, and red actually good again i think. Why not. TNN isn't the best with clamp anyway.
    I'll see your Elves and raise you an Affinity sir, Stoneforge Mystic wants you to jack into the Matrix.

Oh and unban Survival of the Fittest for Christ's sake, the worse thing it could do is abuse Loyal Retainers.

Vengevine damaged Survival beyond repair long before the ban. Since the format's inception one could build pretty much any version of his/her choice, with any color combination, any gameplan and any creature package. You could run almost any pet card of yours and do well with it. It was very difficult to find two identical or considerably similar lists unless one player blatantly copied the other. There wasn't a specific list proved to be the best. You could adapt to any metagame that wasn't dominated by fast combo with all colors at your disposal. Survival was Johnny's dream come true.

Then Vengevine came and replaced most strategies and win conditions. Anything you could come up with was practically always inferior to simply attacking for 16 on turn 3-4. Spike entered Johnny's territory and came up with a GW list all Spikes and Timmies would later copy. All the variety in colors and roles we saw during the last years disappeared. The standard, tested, by default list had finally appeared (getting later strenghened by Necrotic Ooze). This is how Vengevine actually killed Survival.

Now, given all the years Survival has been in the format and never really dominated it, I deduce it wasn't the problem. Seeing how Vengevine has gotten no presence in Legacy except from getting in a few Elves lists, I can safely say it isn't dangerous either; so the problem can only lie in the interaction between the two, and one of them had to go. Which one should get the axe is highly subjective.

That said, even if we've received a lot of varied hate lately, and even if we could just unban Survival for the format to remain fine, I'd like to see Vengevine banned for the above reasons. I'd like to see Survival go back to its roots and become a swiss army knife again. Though that's just my opinion.

(Now that I think of it, a +Survival -Vengevine alone might not solve everything. I sure wouldn't want to see Survival decks racing to see who puts more TNNs into play in the shortest amount of time.)

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Nonex View Post
    (Now that I think of it, a +Survival -Vengevine alone might not solve everything. I sure wouldn't want to see Survival decks racing to see who puts more TNNs into play in the shortest amount of time.)
    The origin of this thread is actually from the B/R discussion thread about what should be banned/unbanned to make the format healthier and more fun. Of course TNN has to go.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    Survival is an interesting card. I would like to see it again.
    Pre-vengevine survival decks were something elegant. They required a decent amount of thought to play and were not unstoppable machines of death. I always liked the toolbox-style of those decks, they were a good example of proper reaction to every situation. But that might just be my personal infatuation with the deck itself.

I find Vengevine to be the real culprit.
    Unfortunately in these situations you are forced to ban the enabler which was survival. Eventually it will enable something else they print and become a repeat offender.

I disagree with their decision but i understood it at the time. Its time to unban it
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thread Information