Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Noble Fish

Re: Noble Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    I think if you are saying that Giant Growth is better than Stoneforge Mystic, you really need to play more Legacy.
    by no means is giant growth better than stoneforge mystic, i was simply implying that alot of times stoneforge feels out of place when you are trying go * tempo* mode.
    I played D&T for 2 years straight, i know pretty well what hes capable of doing lol :D.

on an oter note, i played a local tournament this friday for a playset of tropical island. Finished 3rd and lost in the semis vs dark bant :(. im pretty sold on this deck and theres still alot of room for testing since the deck is realy young. Might try to go back to edric if i try and put more creatures in the deck.

Took this deck to a 44-man tournament and split the finals against 4-color loam (we were both tired and my ride had been waiting for the whole top-8)

Round 1
    GW Vial Maverick

Game 1:
    He starts off with a Weathered Wayfarer and I start off with a mother of runes, he never gets to activate the wayfarer, I get a Jitte out and finish off with a batterskull.

Game 2:
    Turn 1 Hierarch into turn 2 Stoneforge for Jitte sealed the deal rather early

1-0 matches, 2-0 games

Round 2:
    Enchantress

Game 1:
    Enchantress player didn't manage to do much relevant in this game and I landed Edric and some equipment

Game 2:
    He got an early Elephant Grass that stalled into double Energy Field and a Rest in Peace. I HAD managed to get him down to 6 but I couldn't get rid of both Energy Fields =(. Mirri's Guile did heavy work for him this game

Game 3:
    He again stalled with Elephant Grass and I just built up a huge board for when he had to sac it (he was stuck on 2-3 mana) and swung for a whole bunch.

2-0 matches, 4-1 games

Round 3
    BG Goblins

Game 1:
    I had a Familiar with exalted that beat on him for a few turns, he got a Piledriver online but at that point I'd gotten some equipment and a TNN so it was curtains for game 1

Game 2:
    I got double hierarch and a TNN early, he Pyrokinesis'd my hierarchs and used Warren's Wierding to get rid of my TNN, I wasn't able to recover.

Game 3:
    Managed to counter his relevant stuff and get through with my own, I got a Jitte going and managed to keep his threat density low. One HUGE mistake I did was when I just assumed his Tarfire was uncounterable due to Cavern of Souls, causing me to lose a stoneforge AND a Mother of Runes due to a sharpshooter. Edric drew me like 10 cards this game.

3-0 in matches, 6-2 in games

Round 4
    UWR Miracles

Game 1:
    Landed an early Stoneforge, Familiar and an Edric, he couldn't find the Terminus.

Game 2:
    Got some light beatdown with a familiar, he then landed a one-off Izzet Staticaster he was trying out. Cue complete breakdown of deck.

Game 3:
    I landed some early threats but held back a hierarch and a stoneforge for the inevitable terminus. It came and I followed up with an exalted Batterskull that he couldn't remove.

4-0 in matches, 8-3 in games

At this point I double-drew into top-8 as 1st seed but played round 5 for fun

Round 5
    UG Food-Chain

Game 1:
    He combos early and had FoWs for my FoWs

Game 2:
    Here and in Game 3 we both make dumb mistakes. I get a turn 1 needle for Food-Chain and none of us realize it doesn't work, I blame the fact that we had already agreed to draw the match so we played sloppy. Without the combo I can get the Edric draws going and he has problems doing anything relevant against my draws and equipment.

Game 3:
    Slow and grindy, the needle comes down again and he even exiles the food-chains to thin the deck and draw a card. Looter il-Kor does heavy lifting.

Top-8:

Quarter-Finals
    Elves

I've always had problems with elves, not just with this deck but in general. I just think it's hard to combat.

Game 1:
    he turn 2 glimpses and just pukes up a gazillion elves into a turn 3 NO. I die horribly.

Game 2:
    REALLY close game, I get a batterskull online, he Viridian Shamans it, I bounce, play it, he bounces and play shaman. Rinse and Repeat for 3-4 turns until I get 7 mana and play and re-equip to Looter il-Kor for a big hit as I had 2 Hierarchs out. He the wrecks it on his turn and I finish him with two more hits from the looter.

Game 3:
    He tries to get an early NO which I stop, then we stall out for a bit. I land a playset of Hierarchs and a Looter equipped with a Sword of Fire & Ice and a Batterskull, that's when it ends.

off to semis

Semi-Finals
    BUG Delver

Game 1:
    He never manages to get a good board presence and I beat him with a Judge's Familiar backed up by a Mother of Runes and a Noble Hierarch. We both spent our early game wastelanding and dazing eachother's stuff so I was just able to salvage my board more easily thanks to smoother draws I guess.

Game 2:
    He lands a Tarmogoyf that ends up irrelevant as I had a Jitte and stuff, he tries to put a Tombstalker in the way of my familiar but I had the plow, it was just the kind of game where I had all the answers and he didnt.

When the second semi finishes I asked the winner if he wanted to split, which - he also being tired - he wanted. He was on 4-color loam and sounded a bit regretful of drawing when he found out what deck I played as he thought it was a good matchup. I don't doubt him as I don't know what I'd do against Punishing Fire. We ended up splitting 2 Modern fetch and a playset of FoWs, me getting the Scalding Tarn and the two FoWs in worse condition.

It was the first time I played the deck and I was very pleased with its performance, the Looters and the TNNs felt very vital as ways to definitely get damage through for Edric and equipments. I think I might try to put the mothers in the SB as they weren't very useful. I also had some bad times where I had an Edric and a bunch of Hierarchs against an empty board and couldn't capitalize on it.

I had two Council's Judgement in the board and was quite happy with that, otherwise the list was pretty stock.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

What was the name of this tournament and is there a full top 8? I'd like to add it to my data collection for June. Congrats on the finish, are you just using the stock list?

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbin View Post
    Took this deck to a 44-man tournament and split the finals against 4-color loam (we were both tired and my ride had been waiting for the whole top-8)
    Thanks for the report! I was the guy that you split with, good times with two new/fringe decks in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    What was the name of this tournament and is there a full top 8? I'd like to add it to my data collection for June. Congrats on the finish, are you just using the stock list?
    We are still waiting for the organizers to put the top8 on some site.

But until then, the tournament was listed as 'Storlegacy' (which means Big Legacy in swedish) and was played at the venue Dragon's Lair in Stockholm, Sweden.

The top8 looked like this, I think:
    Quarter-finals:
    4 Color Loam vs. UW Stoneblade
    Noble Fish vs. Elves
    Shardless BUG vs. Food Chain
    BUG Delver vs. Zoo
    Semi-finals:
    4 Color Loam vs. Shardless BUG
    Noble Fish vs. BUG Delver
    Final:
    Noble Fish vs. 4 Color Loam (split)

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

I was looking at some of the Vintage Noble Fish decks and noticed some old tech of Meddling Mage + Gitaxian Probe. I've seen a couple people mention trying Mages MD and Probe certainly isn't a bad card for a tempo deck to be running.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Probe is better with an action spell behind it (Mage, Stifle, Therapy). I think unless we main Mages or Stifles (not a terrible idea, IMO) probe won't be worth the inclusion otherwise
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Yeah, I meant adding Probe alongside the Mages in particular, sorry if I wasn't clear. Stifle/Pierce or even Revokers seem good too.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I've been switching between this and Shardless Thopters as of late and was wondering if anyone has experimented with Thopter Sword in the board? I'm testing out 3 Thopter Foundry and 1 SotM along with the one E tutor I already run. This would be for grindy match ups where we might not have the velocity to win.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbin View Post
    Hey Tenbin, sweet performance.

From what you stated - does your list look a little something like this:

4 Noble
    4 SFM
    3 Looter
    3 TNN
    3 J's familiar
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    (19)

1 Skull
    1 Jitte
    1 Sofi
    (3)

4 STP
    4 BS
    3 Ponder
    4 FoW
    3 Daze
    (18)

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    (19)

SB:
    4 Flusterstorm
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Council's Judgement
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Engineered Explosives

What's different? What would you change? Why?

I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if I'm out of the loop, but have you considered invisible stalker over looter? Seems like he carries equipment better, can block, technically better under edric...

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Looter's filtering is really important and becomes insane with Edric.

Dec 2011
    Norway

I think this deck looks really cool, but (and this might be a loaded question) does it really perform? How many top 8s in large tournaments? I'm thinking about forking out for a third beta Tundra and I need a reason that isn't Miracles or Esperblade.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

It's had one or two good showings, is exceedingly fun, but might struggle at an Open.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

This thing is dying to TNN hate splash damage.

I would definitely run this deck if TNN is banned

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    Hey Tenbin, sweet performance.

From what you stated - does your list look a little something like this:

4 Noble
    4 SFM
    3 Looter
    3 TNN
    3 J's familiar
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    (19)

1 Skull
    1 Jitte
    1 Sofi
    (3)

4 STP
    4 BS
    3 Ponder
    4 FoW
    3 Daze
    (18)

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    (19)

SB:
    4 Flusterstorm
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Council's Judgement
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Engineered Explosives

What's different? What would you change? Why?
    I like the maindeck Pridemages rather than Mother of Runes, but I'd take 3 Edric before 3 Ponder any day. I like the SB as well =).

@Kobe, I agree with your assessment about it dying to TNN hate, in the tournament I didn't face any hate, but I did face the one-off Izzet Staticaster that the miracle player was trying out. it REALLY ripped the deck apart.

I feel that it's worth trying Deathrite. The 2 toughness helps, being able to attack as a swarm with Edric would also help. I realize Deathrite would cause the deck to rely a bit on the graveyard but it might help more than it detracts; will test.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    This thing is dying to TNN hate splash damage.

I would definitely run this deck if TNN is banned
    So never?

Is anyone still working with this deck?

I imagine -1/-1 effects will become pretty common with the amount of UR in the meta but looter also seems like a good way to fuel TC or DTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Collman View Post
    Is anyone still working with this deck?

I imagine -1/-1 effects will become pretty common with the amount of UR in the meta but looter also seems like a good way to fuel TC or DTT.
    It seems none of the active members on the source are working on it, but I know people in the US who has done well in paper tournaments with the deck recently, small time tournaments with duals and wastes on the line for example. Not opens.

I think Treasure Cruise would be a cool addition to the deck although it takes away the aspect of not relying on the GY at all. I don't think the UR delver "hate" is really relevant since people would rather play UR delver than hate on it. And that's also why D&T is doing well lately.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I saw you pop up on a Daily at 3-1 a few days ago Bahra, what do you think of this deck in the new metagame?

Hey there noble fishers ! just found out there is a thread about this edric bant deck. I've been playing this deck for a while now and i must say that it is better than it looks at first glance.

Now that treasure cruise is gone, Edric can be, again, the card drawing we need. I've read all post from the beginning and i'm still unsold on the looters. I understand very well that they connect easily with swords and edric, but still, i'm not convince. One of the looter slots can be switched for a sylvan library, wich have done wonders for me thus far.

I also think we must adress the manabase. I don't believe that playing 4x wasteland and 4x mana dork is enough to support 19 lands total. we need more lands, something like 21-22 lands. Wasteland is back in force and we need a solid manabase.

Here's my list for reference.

creatures:
    4x noble hierarch
    4x judge's familiar
    4x stoneforge mystic
    3x edric, spymaster of trest
    3x true-name nemesis

spells:
    4x daze
    4x brainstorm
    4x force of will
    4x swords to plowshares
    1x sylvan library
    1x batterskull
    1x sword of fire and ice
    1x umezawa jitte

lands:
    4x wasteland
    4x windswept heath
    4x flooded strands
    4x tundra
    4x tropical island
    1x karakas

sideboard:
    3x thalia, guardian of thraben
    2x meddling mage
    3x rest in peace
    1x gaea's blessing
    1x manriki-gusari
    1x llawan, cephalid empress
    1x path to exile
    2x pithing needle
    1x supreme verdict

My sideboard is really metagame dependant as there is 2x merfolks and 2x miracles in the top players at the local game shop. The lone gaea's blessing has been wonderful so far escaping the combo high tide (yes still see play !) and imperial painter.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Thread Information