Thread: Daze on the draw

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Daze on the draw

is it really that bad to put daze in MD on the draw against a RUG/RUW deck with wastelands while you run wastelands yourself?

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Re: Daze on the draw

Not always, when both decks are trying to be aggressive and are going to likely be light on mana all game, daze seems good regardless.

I can think of a recent game where I was on the play in game 2/3 and I ran into a daze on turn 2. Turn 3 I figured, naw he can't have another one, he probably just didn't have enough cards to take out and left in a daze or two, Ill slam a 3 drop. Daze. Turn 4, alright he DEFINITELY can't have another daze, tap out for jace. Daze.

Re: Daze on the draw

The general rule of thumb is to board out Daze on the draw because it becomes a much weaker card. You can't use it as a "free counter" on your opponent's turn one and your opponent is more likely to have mana to pay for his spells when he's a turn ahead of you. Against combo decks and control decks that run few or no creatures, you obviously keep your Dazes in and board out your creature removal instead. Against a deck RUG or RUW Delver decks, you want to keep your creature removal in to stop their threats, so Daze is one of the spells that you will consider boarding out. It really depends on what else is in your maindeck and sideboard, though. How many cards do you need to board in to improve your matchup? How many cards in your maindeck would you board out before Daze? I would not necessarily feel embarrassed to have Daze in this matchup post-sideboard, however. As you note, mana can remain tight, so you might get more value out of Daze than you would against Deathrite Shaman decks, where Daze becomes very weak on the draw.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Thread Information