Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Bazaar of Moxen

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Re: Bazaar of Moxen

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    The exact city isn't nearly as big a deal to me as being able to fly directly in.
    And yet, you missed GP Denver, which had a fantastic airport going for it!

Seriously though, they should prioritize ease of travel/accommodations over picturesque views and organizer proximity. Notice how StarCity Games doesn't just hold events in Roanoke? That's because Roanoke sucks, but it sounds like it's still got way more infrastructure to support something like this than Annecy.

Also, to us new-worlders, 90% of Europe looks like a fucking fairy tale anyway.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I also noticed how starcity doesnt host regular events in paris, Amsterdam, Berlin or London - yet i can travel there from my local airport.

morale: while starcity events are nice for you, we are also quite happy that someone bothers to do events of this magnitude.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Working my way through the Vintage ... Gonzalez vs. Mosqrra ... oh my god the shops player is a cheating savage. He 'forgets' twice about his Sphere but doesn't say anything as his opponent mysteriously pays one more for his spells. The savage goes on to top 8. I'm sure he has friendly sphere going on all day off camera.

Best commentary

"What is this artwork supposed to represent?" (re: Mishra's Workshop)
    "A workshop, people are working inside"

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

They are likely hosting two tournaments a year - The regular one in Annecy, and also the the winter edition in paris. That's at least what the organizers talked about, last november, when I went.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

paris is canceled this year, lack of venue
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Oct 2004
    Earth

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    I agree with your thoughts on this phenomenon. Separating similar cards that are next to each other when searching is pointless and a waste of the limited time we have to finish a match. The magic deck has to be sufficiently randomized. The action of sufficiently randomizing a deck makes multiple copies of a card being next to each other or the act of separating the cards completely moot.
    I see this all the time, and I think it gives those who practice it systematically a slight edge. I agree, it should be a moot point, and it shouldn't matter because the deck is randomized. The problem is that more often than not, the deck is insufficiently randomized afterwards, making this common and seemingly innocent little habit borderline cheating. The rules of the game clearly state that decks must be randomized when shuffling, and randomization is defined as bringing the deck to a state where no player can have any information regarding the order or position of cards in any portion of the deck. Now, say we crack a fetch and we find three fetchlands next to each other, and decide to seperate those three fetchlands while searching the deck for a land. We then proceed to find the land, shuffle loosely a couple of times, and present the deck to our opponent. STOP. What is the chance that our deck now has three fetchlands next to each other? Do we think that this chance is lower, or is it exactly the same compared to a completely random arrangement of the same cards? If we know the chance is lower, then we have some information about the order of cards in our deck that we are not allowed to have when we present a shuffled deck. It follows that we have cheated, by the definition of randomization. Is the chance lower? I don't know. It think it is lower, but it seems hard to prove.

Move it to Barcelona for the love of god. Please. Actual people. Actual food. Actual women. Actual beach.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Don't take my word for granted yet, but I've got information on a big player planning to establish a huge private tournament in Barcelona.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Don't take my word for granted yet, but I've got information on a big player planning to establish a huge private tournament in Barcelona.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Oooh!

I will go.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...Catalonia.html

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Why doesn't anybody try to establish a big tournament in Germany, e.g. in Munich or Berlin or another big city?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Why doesn't anybody try to establish a big tournament in Germany, e.g. in Munich or Berlin or another big city?
    I'd love to visit Germany again, but I don't think I would be able to stop drinking beer and eating delicious meat products long enough to bother playing Magic.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I know this is our store, but I've never seen this guy. Lol who is he?

As for Europe, how would the Europeans in here feel about a star city like entity doing rounds about the region?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I'd personally love to have regular tournaments on different regions every week, thought I don't how how bad can affect that to the staples' price if WotC doesn't make reprints.

I'd love to visit Germany again, but I don't think I would be able to stop drinking beer and eating delicious meat products long enough to bother playing Magic.
    Well fuck ... that sounds like Eternal Weekend and the Reading Market in Philly ...

Apr 2008
    Czech Republic

Maybe Frankfurt, Hanau?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Seconded, though I may not even find time for the meat products.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Regarding European tournament serieses, a Finnish t-organizer Poromagia did last year a tournament series called Porotour. They had several larger opens with different formats, trials and an invitational over the year. The legacy open in Helsinki gathered around 100 players from (off the top of my head) 6 countries pursuing the 1000€ main prize. They are doing it this year as well and the Porotour Legacy is in Helsinki in September. The rest of the opens are listed on the site, which for some reason isn't yet available in English. http://porotour.blogspot.fi/p/turnaukset.html

Keep this in mind if you're looking for some international tournament play. It's not the largest tourney but everyone can help it grow and the potential is huge.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Something about rules about gambling. The same reason why there are no GPs there.

Thread Information