Thread: UGb Madness 32nd out of 365 players - Big Magic Open sponsored by SCG

UGb Madness 32nd out of 365 players - Big Magic Open sponsored by SCG

Hi everyone,

This time I use a UGb Mandess deck and got of 32nd place out of a 365 players legacy tournament in Japan. In my previous entry of a huge tournament, it was a straight UG Mandess deck. However, this time I fuse madness with shardless BUG, and creating a deck that can handle the current meta-game and prey on the top tier fair deck (delver, team America, Blade.dec…etc).

This is the first time StarCity Games has sponsored a huge Magic Open event in Japan. SCG work with Big Magic (one of the largest magic vendor in Kansai area of Japan) and have an amazing tournament located in Yokohama on May 10-11, 2014.

I wasn’t able to write this report right after the tournament due to work, but here it goes.
    Deck Name: THIS IS STILL SPARTAAAA!

Spells:

3 Vengevine
    3 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Fauna Shaman
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Qurion Ranger
    1 Wonder
    1 Memnite
    4 Force of Will
    3 Intuition
    3 Ancestral Vision
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    Lands:

4 Tropical Island
    3 Bayou
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacomb
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Baleful strix
    1 Glided Drake
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Scavenging ooze
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Disfigure
    1 Golgari Charm

In the morning, the Marineria Hall (where they host the tournament) is filled with both legacy, standard and sealed player. I would say there were more than 800 people inside there. There would be 9 rounds for legacy, and the top 8 players will walk away with cash prize and invitation to SCG.

Match ups:
    Round 1: vs Esper Blade
    I won the dice roll and keep a hand with ancestral vision, deathrite shaman, and shardless Agent. I cast the ancestral on the first turn and then pass the turn. He drop a UW fetchland and passed the turn. I cast deathrite shaman which get sword to plowershared. He then cast stone forge mystic fetching batterskull, however I abrupt decayed it. The game ended when my vision resolved, and overwhelm him with another deathrite shaman, double shardless agent beating, and force of will his jace and True-Name nemesis away.

In Game 2, I lost due to lack of land. I only have 2 lands for the entire time.
    However, he proabably just assumed that I am a Shardless BUG player and never expected the madness part.

In game 3, I was able to turn two intuition with deahtrite’s mana ramp, and follow up with double Vengenvine shouting “This is SPARTAAAA!!” and end the game quickly.
    1-0-0

Round 2: vs Esper Blade
    Game1: I realize that I am facing another Esper Blade when I see his fetch land and follow up by stonforge mystic. However, he was confused when I show a fauna shaman but wasn’t able to do anything about it when I FOW his swords to plowshare. The game end when I use fauna shaman to generate hasty Spartans that end the game quickly.
    Game 2: It was a close one. However, he was able to hardcast batterskull and equip it on TNN to turn the tide of the game.
    Game3: I packed in toxic delduge and golgari charm which ruined his double TNN and stoneforge mystic plan. I also play around graveyard hate by just hard casting vengevine and beat his life down to zero.
    2-0-0

Round 3: GWB Junk

Game 1: He won the dice roll, and having access to Liliana on turn two, and he used her discard ability. Traditionally, it would be a good great position for him. However, as I say arigato (thank you in Japanese) to him when I discard my Vengevine into the yard, and simiply get it back and hit him next turn with it when I cast two more creature. I keep up the pressure and won.

Game 2: We had some attrition wars at start where he thought seize intuition, killed my deathrite shaman, where I abrupt decayed his stoneforge mystic. However, a brainstorm + shardless agent + ancestral vision gives me a good upper hand. We get into a position where he has active batterskull, stoneforge mystic, and deathrite shaman, and I have 3 vengevines, an active fauna shaman/quirion ranger and deathrite shaman. He was at 12 life. I tricked him to tap out by abrupt decay his batterskull token. He needed to get his batterskull token back to survive. However, after he tapped out I was able to find wonder, and let the Spartan fly over and smash his face.

3-0-0

Round 4: Combo Elf

Game 1: He won the dice roll. Dropping a basic forest and a deathrite shaman have me assumed that he may be elf. This fact is confirmed when I need to FOW his glimpse of nature. However, a follow up of gaea’s cradle + wirewood symbiote + elvish visionary + Natural’s order ended the game for me.

Game 2: A good well timed golgari charm slow him down, but then he was able to get it running again with wirewood symbiote + elvish visionary combo. I brainstormed into a toxic deluge to make the board even again. Eventually I was able to win by perform my Spartan package shortly after.

Game 3: He took out my force of will with thoughtseize. However, I also thoughtseize his natural order away. However, I assumed that his following draws is just nuts (probably draws a natural’s order and glimpse of nature in the following turn). He was able to get another glimpse of nature which I need to counter with flusterstorm, then he pop out double gaea’s cradle and use natural’s order to end the game right there.
    3-1-0

( This guy is actually the person who got 1st place…damn elves are too good)
    Come to think of this matchup, I think elf is extremely difficult in a way if they can recover quickly with certain hand. Good thing is that I don’t see elf as often in legacy now day.

…..or is it?

Round 5: combo elf AGAIN!

Game 1: I feel like this must be the day of elves when I see his first turn forest quirion ranger. I was killed when he has glimpse of nature and I didn’t have FOW for it.

Game 2: I keep a hand fast enough to race him. Turn 2 intution, turn 3 vengevine. That was about as good as you can get to race a combo deck.

Game 3: This game got very long. He was able to generate many card advantages using elvish visionary with symbiote combo. But I was able to wipe his board twice with charm and toxic deluge with the help of ancestral vision. A hard casted FOW stopped his glimpse of nature, while he was able to find a scaveing ooze that would be scary enough to kill me. However, brainstorm into shardless agent and abrupt decay once again saved me. I top decked a vengevine and attempt to strike back. However, a green sun zenith finding a quiron ranger, plus a fetch land to find a dryad arbor slow down my attack. Eventually, another symbiote create a stalemate where neither of us can do anything. Unfortunately, the time was up and going to 5 turns. This game ended in a draw.

3-1-1

Round 6: Red Painter

Game1: I had turn 2 fauna shaman where he has turn 2 painter. By turn 3 he cast his grindstone but didn’t have the mana for it. I have 2 land open and abrupt decay his painter upon grindstone’s activation. And the game quickly end when Spartan shows up and have him take 20 damages.

Game2: He got a gold fish hand + blood moon. I have to decay his painter before that annoying enchantment resolve, but not having mana to access for the rest of the game is just an auto-loss.

Game3: We had some counter wars at the start, and eventually we end up with that much cards in our hand. I was able to top deck a pithing needle and name grind stone. But then he tutor up a Jaya Ballard, Task Mage with Imperial Recruiter. I cast my baleful strixs hopefully to find some answer. Luckly, another abrupt decay help me to stop the mage. And shardless agent plus some brainstorm manipulation wins me the game.

4-1-1

Round 7: Red Painter
    Game1: I won the dice roll, but after seeing him cast grind stone on his first turn just make me think “What’s up with the match-up today? Same decks in a roll after roll!”. Of course, he casted painter the following turn which I need to FOW. And amazingly he drop another painter and there wasn’t much I can do.

Game2: Similar thing happened when he force out my abrupt decay and fow when he try to cast blood moon and painter with grindstone on the board. But then magnus of the moon on his following turn end the game for me.

4-2-1
    Wow, from 3-0 to 4-2-1….the match up was just bad. But I can only move forward.

Round 8: UWR Blade

Game1: An attrition game occurred, but I know that I will grind him out with my first turn ancestral vision. I tried to fow his turn two stoneforge mythic but he forced it back. But I wasteland his only tundra and cast a Basking rootwalla to beat him down for 3 every turn. A well timed Grim lavamancer killed my rootawalla but was killed by shardless agent into abrupt decay. The shardless agent eat his life total away to 4. And when I cast vengevine he has to bolt it in order to stay alive. He cast true name nemsis and try to stay alive. However, another shardless agent flip a deathrite summon back the vengeful Spartan and ended the game.

Game 2: he got a turn 2 rest in peace against me. On turn 3 he cast stoneforge mystic for batterskull, which was thoughtseize away by me.I simply was able to hard cast my vengevine attack for 4, and equip with jitte to ruin his day after.

5-2-1

Round 9: RGB Jund

Game 1: I won the dice roll and keep a turn 2 intution, turn 3 Spartan beat down hand. There wasn’t much he could do except having a puny dark confident on his turn 2 that get killed by vengevine.

Game 2: He was confused of what I was playing, and he probably side in gy hate to against me. I intentionally leave some mana open when faun shaman I was about to trigger my vengevines from the gy. As expected, he tried to surgical extraction my vengevine, which I responded by removing the targeted vengevine with deathrite shaman. He was shocked when I did that, and I could see his face saying “This is….MADNESS!”. I simply responded, “Madness? THIS.IS.SPARTAAAAA!” by madnessing my rootwalla out, trigger the two Spartan out and smash for the win.

6-2-1

End up in 32nd place and walk away with 100$ cash prize.

I think the deck has a good run, just the match up with elves and painter was just unlucky. Overall, I thank for those who make this event happen and I welcome anyone to give me suggestion or some question regarding to this deck.
    Props:
    - Thanks for the friends who help me test this deck
    - John Avon special forest playmate!
    - Nice dinner in yokohama
    Slops:
    - Unlucky matchup
    - Open some modern master pack and got some trash rares….

For those who are interested in deck list or about the event:
    SCG announcement:

http://www.starcitygames.com/news/28...+Open+in+Japan

Top 64 decklist:
    http://www.bigmagic.net/event/bmo01/legacy/007.html

Regarding to Big magic open (site in Japanese)
    http://www.bigmagic.net/bmo.html

Re: UGb Madness 32nd out of 365 players - Big Magic Open sponsored by SCG

yes, you gave me a chuckle.

I don't understand your lack of careful study.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwwins View Post
    Hi everyone,

This time I use a UGb Mandess deck and got of 32nd place out of a 365 players legacy tournament in Japan. In my previous entry of a huge tournament, it was a straight UG Mandess deck. However, this time I fuse madness with shardless BUG, and creating a deck that can handle the current meta-game and prey on the top tier fair deck (delver, team America, Blade.dec…etc).

This is the first time StarCity Games has sponsored a huge Magic Open event in Japan. SCG work with Big Magic (one of the largest magic vendor in Kansai area of Japan) and have an amazing tournament located in Yokohama on May 10-11, 2014.

I wasn’t able to write this report right after the tournament due to work, but here it goes.
    Deck Name: THIS IS STILL SPARTAAAA!

Spells:

3 Vengevine
    3 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Fauna Shaman
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Qurion Ranger
    1 Wonder
    1 Memnite
    4 Force of Will
    3 Intuition
    3 Ancestral Vision
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    Lands:

4 Tropical Island
    3 Bayou
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacomb
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Baleful strix
    1 Glided Drake
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Scavenging ooze
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Disfigure
    1 Golgari Charm

In the morning, the Marineria Hall (where they host the tournament) is filled with both legacy, standard and sealed player. I would say there were more than 800 people inside there. There would be 9 rounds for legacy, and the top 8 players will walk away with cash prize and invitation to SCG.

Match ups:
    Round 1: vs Esper Blade
    I won the dice roll and keep a hand with ancestral vision, deathrite shaman, and shardless Agent. I cast the ancestral on the first turn and then pass the turn. He drop a UW fetchland and passed the turn. I cast deathrite shaman which get sword to plowershared. He then cast stone forge mystic fetching batterskull, however I abrupt decayed it. The game ended when my vision resolved, and overwhelm him with another deathrite shaman, double shardless agent beating, and force of will his jace and True-Name nemesis away.

In Game 2, I lost due to lack of land. I only have 2 lands for the entire time.
    However, he proabably just assumed that I am a Shardless BUG player and never expected the madness part.

In game 3, I was able to turn two intuition with deahtrite’s mana ramp, and follow up with double Vengenvine shouting “This is SPARTAAAA!!” and end the game quickly.
    1-0-0

Round 2: vs Esper Blade
    Game1: I realize that I am facing another Esper Blade when I see his fetch land and follow up by stonforge mystic. However, he was confused when I show a fauna shaman but wasn’t able to do anything about it when I FOW his swords to plowshare. The game end when I use fauna shaman to generate hasty Spartans that end the game quickly.
    Game 2: It was a close one. However, he was able to hardcast batterskull and equip it on TNN to turn the tide of the game.
    Game3: I packed in toxic delduge and golgari charm which ruined his double TNN and stoneforge mystic plan. I also play around graveyard hate by just hard casting vengevine and beat his life down to zero.
    2-0-0

Round 3: GWB Junk

Game 1: He won the dice roll, and having access to Liliana on turn two, and he used her discard ability. Traditionally, it would be a good great position for him. However, as I say arigato (thank you in Japanese) to him when I discard my Vengevine into the yard, and simiply get it back and hit him next turn with it when I cast two more creature. I keep up the pressure and won.

Game 2: We had some attrition wars at start where he thought seize intuition, killed my deathrite shaman, where I abrupt decayed his stoneforge mystic. However, a brainstorm + shardless agent + ancestral vision gives me a good upper hand. We get into a position where he has active batterskull, stoneforge mystic, and deathrite shaman, and I have 3 vengevines, an active fauna shaman/quirion ranger and deathrite shaman. He was at 12 life. I tricked him to tap out by abrupt decay his batterskull token. He needed to get his batterskull token back to survive. However, after he tapped out I was able to find wonder, and let the Spartan fly over and smash his face.

3-0-0

Round 4: Combo Elf

Game 1: He won the dice roll. Dropping a basic forest and a deathrite shaman have me assumed that he may be elf. This fact is confirmed when I need to FOW his glimpse of nature. However, a follow up of gaea’s cradle + wirewood symbiote + elvish visionary + Natural’s order ended the game for me.

Game 2: A good well timed golgari charm slow him down, but then he was able to get it running again with wirewood symbiote + elvish visionary combo. I brainstormed into a toxic deluge to make the board even again. Eventually I was able to win by perform my Spartan package shortly after.

Game 3: He took out my force of will with thoughtseize. However, I also thoughtseize his natural order away. However, I assumed that his following draws is just nuts (probably draws a natural’s order and glimpse of nature in the following turn). He was able to get another glimpse of nature which I need to counter with flusterstorm, then he pop out double gaea’s cradle and use natural’s order to end the game right there.
    3-1-0

( This guy is actually the person who got 1st place…damn elves are too good)
    Come to think of this matchup, I think elf is extremely difficult in a way if they can recover quickly with certain hand. Good thing is that I don’t see elf as often in legacy now day.

…..or is it?

Round 5: combo elf AGAIN!

Game 1: I feel like this must be the day of elves when I see his first turn forest quirion ranger. I was killed when he has glimpse of nature and I didn’t have FOW for it.

Game 2: I keep a hand fast enough to race him. Turn 2 intution, turn 3 vengevine. That was about as good as you can get to race a combo deck.

Game 3: This game got very long. He was able to generate many card advantages using elvish visionary with symbiote combo. But I was able to wipe his board twice with charm and toxic deluge with the help of ancestral vision. A hard casted FOW stopped his glimpse of nature, while he was able to find a scaveing ooze that would be scary enough to kill me. However, brainstorm into shardless agent and abrupt decay once again saved me. I top decked a vengevine and attempt to strike back. However, a green sun zenith finding a quiron ranger, plus a fetch land to find a dryad arbor slow down my attack. Eventually, another symbiote create a stalemate where neither of us can do anything. Unfortunately, the time was up and going to 5 turns. This game ended in a draw.

3-1-1

Round 6: Red Painter

Game1: I had turn 2 fauna shaman where he has turn 2 painter. By turn 3 he cast his grindstone but didn’t have the mana for it. I have 2 land open and abrupt decay his painter upon grindstone’s activation. And the game quickly end when Spartan shows up and have him take 20 damages.

Game2: He got a gold fish hand + blood moon. I have to decay his painter before that annoying enchantment resolve, but not having mana to access for the rest of the game is just an auto-loss.

Game3: We had some counter wars at the start, and eventually we end up with that much cards in our hand. I was able to top deck a pithing needle and name grind stone. But then he tutor up a Jaya Ballard, Task Mage with Imperial Recruiter. I cast my baleful strixs hopefully to find some answer. Luckly, another abrupt decay help me to stop the mage. And shardless agent plus some brainstorm manipulation wins me the game.

4-1-1

Round 7: Red Painter
    Game1: I won the dice roll, but after seeing him cast grind stone on his first turn just make me think “What’s up with the match-up today? Same decks in a roll after roll!”. Of course, he casted painter the following turn which I need to FOW. And amazingly he drop another painter and there wasn’t much I can do.

Game2: Similar thing happened when he force out my abrupt decay and fow when he try to cast blood moon and painter with grindstone on the board. But then magnus of the moon on his following turn end the game for me.

4-2-1
    Wow, from 3-0 to 4-2-1….the match up was just bad. But I can only move forward.

Round 8: UWR Blade

Game1: An attrition game occurred, but I know that I will grind him out with my first turn ancestral vision. I tried to fow his turn two stoneforge mythic but he forced it back. But I wasteland his only tundra and cast a Basking rootwalla to beat him down for 3 every turn. A well timed Grim lavamancer killed my rootawalla but was killed by shardless agent into abrupt decay. The shardless agent eat his life total away to 4. And when I cast vengevine he has to bolt it in order to stay alive. He cast true name nemsis and try to stay alive. However, another shardless agent flip a deathrite summon back the vengeful Spartan and ended the game.

Game 2: he got a turn 2 rest in peace against me. On turn 3 he cast stoneforge mystic for batterskull, which was thoughtseize away by me.I simply was able to hard cast my vengevine attack for 4, and equip with jitte to ruin his day after.

5-2-1

Round 9: RGB Jund

Game 1: I won the dice roll and keep a turn 2 intution, turn 3 Spartan beat down hand. There wasn’t much he could do except having a puny dark confident on his turn 2 that get killed by vengevine.

Game 2: He was confused of what I was playing, and he probably side in gy hate to against me. I intentionally leave some mana open when faun shaman I was about to trigger my vengevines from the gy. As expected, he tried to surgical extraction my vengevine, which I responded by removing the targeted vengevine with deathrite shaman. He was shocked when I did that, and I could see his face saying “This is….MADNESS!”. I simply responded, “Madness? THIS.IS.SPARTAAAAA!” by madnessing my rootwalla out, trigger the two Spartan out and smash for the win.

6-2-1

End up in 32nd place and walk away with 100$ cash prize.

I think the deck has a good run, just the match up with elves and painter was just unlucky. Overall, I thank for those who make this event happen and I welcome anyone to give me suggestion or some question regarding to this deck.
    Props:
    - Thanks for the friends who help me test this deck
    - John Avon special forest playmate!
    - Nice dinner in yokohama
    Slops:
    - Unlucky matchup
    - Open some modern master pack and got some trash rares….

For those who are interested in deck list or about the event:
    SCG announcement:

http://www.starcitygames.com/news/28...+Open+in+Japan

Top 64 decklist:
    http://www.bigmagic.net/event/bmo01/legacy/007.html

Regarding to Big magic open (site in Japanese)
    http://www.bigmagic.net/bmo.html
    Congrats on a sweet deck. I think going less all in on the vengevines would up your consistency and game. Ie. cutting the memnite, some root wallas and an intuition or two for lillianas a 4th vision and a 4th decay.

-IJ

UGb Madness 32nd out of 365 players - Big Magic Open sponsored by SCG

Contratulationagain Winston , let's rule the world with pure madness !

Still not sure if the shardless shell fits the best to madness,would add more aggressive beatdown creatures instead of baleful Strix which is a control dude.

Kai

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -
    Last edited by sawatarix; 05-20-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

This deck is really interesting, what if the Shardless package was Tarmo, TNN, and AKs?

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteJ View Post
    Congrats on a sweet deck. I think going less all in on the vengevines would up your consistency and game. Ie. cutting the memnite, some root wallas and an intuition or two for lillianas a 4th vision and a 4th decay.

-IJ
    Those changes defeat the purpose of the deck and turn it into a bad Team America deck. A better idea would be to go all-in on the Vengevines and add Wild Mongrel or another discard outlet. Turn 2 Mongrel, pitch 2 Vengevines then Rootwalla was one of the strongest plays the old Vengevine Survival deck had.

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    Those changes defeat the purpose of the deck and turn it into a bad Team America deck. A better idea would be to go all-in on the Vengevines and add Wild Mongrel or another discard outlet. Turn 2 Mongrel, pitch 2 Vengevines then Rootwalla was one of the strongest plays the old Vengevine Survival deck had.
    I would think the OP (creator) knows that. He must have valued Cascade package much higher than your construction of Madness.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    Instead of Mongrel, you could play Lotleth Troll.

Edit: Not sure how I didnt see this report. Vengevine is one of my favorite cards. Good to see you do well. I am under the impression the Fauna Shaman is a tad too slow, but maybe (hopefully) I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    Contratulationagain Winston , let's rule the world with pure madness !

Still not sure if the shardless shell fits the best to madness,would add more aggressive beatdown creatures instead of baleful Strix which is a control dude.

Kai

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -
    Thanks man! :)

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    I would think the OP (creator) knows that. He must have valued Cascade package much higher than your construction of Madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Instead of Mongrel, you could play Lotleth Troll.

Edit: Not sure how I didnt see this report. Vengevine is one of my favorite cards. Good to see you do well. I am under the impression the Fauna Shaman is a tad too slow, but maybe (hopefully) I am wrong.
    @twndomn: I used to have full set of wild mongrel and rootwalla in the older version of this deck. I am using the Cascade package because the meta-game here shifted into a more mid-late oriented one. Due to the printing of True-Name Nemsis, fast turn two vengevine isn't a good way to go anymore. Keep in mind that Cascade package brings you: 1. good card advantages and allow u to Force of Will easily. 2. trigger Vengevine easily since shardless agent himself is a creature. 3. Baleful strix preys on tarmogoyf/devler decks.

@Megadeus: I did considered about Lotleth Troll before, but his mana requirement is very intensive. During my playtest, there are situation where I can't not cast him at all, or wild mongrel would be better when trying to go for lethal damage. ( Wild Mongrel can discard any card to get +1/+1, troll can't). Though I think if I give up wasteland completely (may not be a good idea) and adding one basic could make troll viable in its original UGb madness build. A good advantage with troll would be: 1. Anti-Abrupt decay due to regeneration. 2. Trample through TNN and potential to grow bigger than tarmogoyf.

Thread Information