Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Deck] DRS Grixis (Grixis Green)

Re: [Deck] DRS Grixis (Grixis Green)

Howdy,

As said before, I tried a version of UBR Grixis with two-three copy of Abrupt Decay (because I was already running a single Tropical island).
    At first, in the side, but as I was almost bringing it in on every match-ups, so I quickly opt to move Abrupt Decay in the main.

Then, I figured that 3 copy was a bit too much, as more often than not, I cannot play Abrupt Decay because my firsts lands were UB and UR (I play with 2 Grim main instead of Tombstalker).

With 2 copy, things were much more good. With the free slot from one Abrupt Decay and one from running 12 instead of 13 creatures, this let me play with two Dack Fayden.
    Dack let see you more card, and really fit with Grim Lavamancer ( or Tombstalker). Dack's Ultimate isn't that powerful, but can make sometimes huge things.
    Sadly, Daze become a bit worse with all that 3cmc cards. I chose to run Spell Pierce instead. I still dont have enough games to tell if Spell Pierce really worth the change.

Here is the list I'm currently playing :

//Creature (12)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 True-Name Nemesis

//Instant (20)
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle

//Planeswalker (2)
    2 Dack Fayden

//Sorcery (8)
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder

//Land (18)
    1 Badlands
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 2 Deathmark
    SB: 2 Fire Covenant
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

Mainboard is really good. Personnaly I prefer Grim (more control) over Tombstalker. With Dack emblem, Grim is also a way to steel opponent creatures/planewalkers, while Dack's +1 Ability feed the yard.
    Pyroblast is an awesome card against every blue deck, and give one more way to target opponent permanents.
    The rest of sideboard is still under reflexion, especially the Grave-hate. I used to play Grafdigger's Cage, but I'm looking for more permanent answers, because Shaman already act as soft grave-hate.
    Any feedback really appreciate :)

Apr 2014
    Finland

Dack feels so bad on paper, I have to admit I haven't even tried him in the deck. Maybe now is the time to do it? I mean its still 3 mana planeswalker and 3 mana planeswalkers are often good deal. Anyway Liliana just seems better to me , it fills yard also with +1, and acts as removal. But if it really comes to playing Dack for just card filtering + grim fuel , I Might try just running JaceTMS over him? Jace and Liliana just feels so much better planeswalkers than dack. (offcourse dack is insanely good with loam engine or punishing//grove , but thats not the case here)

Anyway Il try to test it to give me more realistic perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahtii View Post
    Dack feels so bad on paper, I have to admit I haven't even tried him in the deck. Maybe now is the time to do it? I mean its still 3 mana planeswalker and 3 mana planeswalkers are often good deal. Anyway Liliana just seems better to me , it fills yard also with +1, and acts as removal. But if it really comes to playing Dack for just card filtering + grim fuel , I Might try just running JaceTMS over him? Jace and Liliana just feels so much better planeswalkers than dack. (offcourse dack is insanely good with loam engine or punishing//grove , but thats not the case here)

Anyway Il try to test it to give me more realistic perspective.
    Well, Dack Fayden dosent fit this deck. I played several games with the list above, and every single time I draw it, it just dont close nor help the game.
    The Draw ability really dosent worth the investment we made to cast Dack. A couple of burn spells, counter spell or even Snapcasters are better.
    My move from 3-3 daze/fow to 2 spell pierce 4 fow was also worse. Now I'm back with the list which fit the most my kind of play :

//Creature (12)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 True-Name Nemesis

//Instant (20)
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Stifle

//Sorcery (8)
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder

//Others (2)
    // 2 Free Slots (Testing 2 Snapcaster Mage)

//Land (18)
    1 Badlands
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 2 Deathmark
    SB: 2 Fire Covenant
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    //Pithing Needle : Still not sure with this, mostly to fight Liliana (and Jace)
    SB: 3 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    Last edited by kravkenov; 09-29-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Any updates on this deck since the release of Treasure Cruise? The core is similar to UR Delver except that we play DRS instead of Swiftspear and have access to lots of good black cards. Perhaps looking back at Young Pyromancer with TC instead of Tombstalker would be a good idea.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Apr 2014
    Finland

I abandoned this list with printing of treasure cruise. Just feels like need to play lower curve and fill Graveyard faster for cruise , and well... ancestral recall is good card. I switched to Burg delver , grixis control and Omnitell for some time now. Not sure which to play from those now.

If you're going to be in Grixis colors at this point it just seems like Young Pyromancer and Cabal Therapy are too good to ignore. Therapy is such a blowout when you know what the opponent is playing. Just name the card that you know is a playset that scares you the most and if you whiff, well you've got another shot down the road unless Treasure Cruise draws you 3 really quickly.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Went 3-1 at a weekly tournament with a Grixis deck. After having played lots of UR and RUG Delver/Pyro Cruise, this is by far my favorite iteration.

2-0 vs. UWR Blade (the Cruise + Pyro version that took GPNJ)
    2-0 vs. UW Stoneblade with DTT
    1-2 vs. UR StifleNaught
    2-1 vs. BUG Delver

The deck felt solid all night. I got to play a few more games against various other Blade decks throughout the night and won the vast majority of them. This is what I played:

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Young Pyromancer
    2 True-Name Nemesis

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Dismember

4 Ponder
    3 Treasure Cruise

4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Tropical Island
    //SB
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Deathmark
    2 Marsh Casualties
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Thread Information