Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice about selling a decent sized collection

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Need a little advice about selling a decent sized collection

I haven't played Legacy in about 5 years. Haven't touched my cards until today.

On a whim, I figured I'd check some prices on eBay. WHOA!

Kirk.jpg

City of Traitors? Duals are how much? FoWs? And motherf-ing Tarmo-fucking-goyf? Back in the day, I was almost too cheap to buy him for $20-30! Polluted Delta? I haven't even looked much beyond my lands, but, hell, this shit needs to move.

If I sell this collection, there are a lot of worthwhile things I could buy (like whiskey, whores, and tattoos. The wife is thinking about new windows for the house or paying off a small car loan, but that sounds really-really boring). So my question is the following:

• What is the overall best way to sell a decent sized collection?
    • How bad will a store/dealer "rip me off"?
    • How much will eBay and paypal ding me?
    • What is the FASTEST way to sell the collection while still making some decent cash?
    • Which method will get me the MOST money? Is that method really worth the effort? After all, time is money, friend.

I guess that I'm a little overwhelmed with the task of liquidating these cards. I'm just looking for advice on where to start. (And things ain't gonna be easy-peasy. For example, it won't be like selling 4 revised duals. I have a mishmash of Italian, Revised, Unlimited. 2 of my FoWs are signed, etc. Some cards are played and others are played-as-hell. etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Re: Need a little advice about selling a decent sized collection

And Horizon Canopy? WTF? I was about to throw that thing out...

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

My advice (even though you'll take a rather large hit) is to go to a GP and sell it all to dealers. You'll take hits on it, but in terms of safety and ease it's the best. Ebay takes a chunk of money, but you more have to worry about liars saying you never sent them the cards you ordered and paypal always siding with the buyer no matter what. I say GP instead of SCG open because you'll have multiple dealers to play against each other or at least get the best deal from. You also spend less time, even if you have to drive a few hours, than you would divvying up your collection and listing it all individually.

Although walking out of a GP with a wad of thousands in cash may provide its own safety concerns.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I guess there's something similar to MKM in Murica, right? I found it very good for selling the more expensive singles (which in turn financed my EDH OCD, but w/e), but it's pretty annoying speaking of anything below ten bucks or so. Basically you want to avoid as much paperworks as possible, so instead of lots and lots of work with lists, grading, etc. you may simply put two hundred of your best cards and see what happens. Unfortunately, no one will rush to buy the cards, unless you price them really low, and then of course you'll be sitting on the pile of the remaining crap, so in the end you'll need to visit the GP, as nearly none lgs will buy it, esp. if it's played stuff.

Thing is that you need to get money out of your American MKM account to your own bank account, something something transfer fees.

IDK. Does the GP plan sound good? Maybe you can contact some vendors before the tournament so that they reserve some time for you and tell you what to bring.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Of course last week's GP would have been the closest to me. The next closest will be in November in NJ.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Of course last week's GP would have been the closest to me. The next closest will be in November in NJ.
    "Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard."
    Well, maybe you may try to sell something through the web services. Otoh, it might be too much hassle for too little profit, especially IF the prices rise up even more until Nov.
    Don't know. Maybe you can sit on the cards for a bit long and then simply contact the vendors few weeks before the GP?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I guess there's something similar to MKM in Murica, right?
    Is Cardshark still a thing in the USA?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Is Cardshark still a thing in the USA?
    Yes.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Why do you need to sell asap?

Selling in November still sounds fine. Reprints aren't going to happen, so prices are likely to stay the same or even rise until then.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Why do you need to sell asap?

Selling in November still sounds fine. Reprints aren't going to happen, so prices are likely to stay the same or even rise until then.
    There is no actual reason to sell ASAP. In theory, we would use the money for new windows, and getting new windows in a New York November seems sorta stupid.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I usually just use eBay, but it is time consuming and in the past ~6 months the amount of return you get has been getting much lower. I think rapid price inflation is finally stabilizing, and eBay sees that effect first, and also the counterfeit scare might be having an effect too.

You already noticed your Horizon Canopy, but look at everything, like even cards more garbage than that. EDH and Modern's popularity have made some really stupid cards valuable. Daybreak Coronet, Grave Pact, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Sliver Legion, sen triplets just to name a few

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Pithing Needle is garbage now? WTF?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

It kind of got reprinted to shit. That and that there aren't decks it really hits hard anymore. Grizzlebrand is still a 7/7 lifelink flier even if it isn't a yawgmoth's bargain.

But yeah, definitely look over your big stupid fat creatures. A TON of those are EDH staples and worth money now.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Lion's Eye Diamond... BOOM!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

So life after Magic is ... new windows. Damn, I wish this was a troll post.

For the fastest way to liquidate, sell your cards to a local shop or a dealer. For the second-fastest way, sell them as a single lot to a Sourcer for either dealer buy price or just over buy price. To make a greater percentage, you'll need to put in the time, and your options range from eBay to Facebook to your friends and former LGS peers.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Here are a few of the odd birds:

8 Foil Vexing Shusher
    8 Zuran Orbs
    4 Jeweled Amulet
    4 Skullclamp
    1 Foil Infernal Tutor

I raised an eyebrow at each one.

In my experience, the best way to unload a bunch of cards is through TCGplayer. You have to go through a bit of setup to sell, and sell some smaller things before you can list larger things, but they take ~12% whereas Ebay takes ~15% and they deposit directly into your bank account instead of making you deal with paypal. You also don't have to list pictures or write descriptions, all you have to do is add the cards you're selling and their condition to your inventory. After you sell enough things, your price and number of things you can list caps go away. I've sold a ton of stuff of various price levels through them and have yet to have a negative experience.

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

Well, there is SCG Syracuse next week, and you live in NY, so maybe you can sell your cards there instead of a GP 4 months away.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

SCG would probably kick him in the dick price wise. If your wife is that amazing, selling to TCGplayer is probably a wise choice. If your wife is meh, or your windows are at least decent, wait until the GP and continue looking up card prices in your spare time so you know exactly what to bring. A nice alternative would be to ship the cards over to me.

Why you no magik no moar? Makes me sad :,(

But I know you'll be back, slinging poop with all the standard players since you don't wanna buy back into Legacy. You should at least stick around the Source and liven up the mish mash thread. This place is pretty dull nowadays.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    selling to TCGplayer is probably a wise choice.
    If TCGp is that similar to MKM, then I support this. While it takes some time to arrange the things, etc., the difference in money is pretty big. I wouldn't bother myself with every card you got, but simply sell the cards that matter, then make a deal with your lgs/friend and then throw the rest of your pile into stove.

Also, 8 Zuran Orb?

Thread Information