Thread: UG Humans

UG Humans

I've alway been interested in the Vintage Humans deck that played Mayor of Avabruck so I started working on a Legacy port. I made a list of all the cards I was interested in playing, Snapcaster Mage, Noble Hierarch, Ninja of the Deep Hours, Sage of Epityr, and so on. Ninja of the Deep Hours and Mayor of Avabruck both appreciate a Standstill in play so I started there. Next I added Shardless Agent to Cascade into Standstill which has been awesome so far in testing. Once Shardless Agent was added I removed Snapcaster Mage from my list. I started with the below list and I've been enjoying the few games I've managed to play.

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mayor of Avabruck
    4 Shardless Agent
    3 Ninja of the Deep Hours

4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Misdirection
    4 Snap
    2 Jitte

4 Tropical Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Island
    2 Forest
    4 Mutavault

Interesting fact, Delver of Secrets is a Human on both sides. After about 10 games I came to some conclusions. Snap into Standstill as well as Shardless Agent into Standstill were both awesome. Mayor under Standstill was awesome. Delver of Secrets was awkward with only 14 Instands and Sorceries and did play nice with Ninja of the Deep Hours. I'm thinking of replacing 4 Delver of Secrets for 3 Sage of Epityr and 1 more Ninja of the Deep Hours or maybe something like a Dismember.

I'd love to hear thoughts and suggestions on this deck as well as sideboard help. I'll be playing in my town's first Legacy tournament this weekend so there is an unknown meta.

Re: UG Humans

Nice deck! Some of these suggestions might be janky, so bear with me. Hamlet captain could be a decent choice to pump your team. Mass appeal seems sweet, if a little win-more, as backup card draw. You could also splash white for champion of the parish or meddling mage. Also, æther vial seems very powerful here, especially under a standstill.

I'm not sure why misdirections are in your list, why are they there?

Quote Originally Posted by pfiremc13 View Post
    Nice deck! Some of these suggestions might be janky, so bear with me. Hamlet captain could be a decent choice to pump your team. Mass appeal seems sweet, if a little win-more, as backup card draw. You could also splash white for champion of the parish or meddling mage. Also, æther vial seems very powerful here, especially under a standstill.

I'm not sure why misdirections are in your list, why are they there?
    Abrupt Decay is a thing. MisD your AD to your DRS? Seems legit.

I feel like it's too situational though. You have to have a creature, your opponent has to have a removal spell AND your opponent has to have a creature you can misdirect it to. Also, there aren't a ton of creatures in this deck that need protecting.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Lightning Bolt
    Stifle
    Force of Will
    Daze
    Spell Pierce
    Spell Snare
    Dismember
    Abrupt Decay
    Pyroblast
    Invigorate
    Swords to Plowshares
    Counterspell
    Thoughtseize
    Punishing Fire
    Hymn to Tourach
    Inquisition of Kozilek
    Path to Exile

These are all commonly played cards that can be misdirected and I know I'm missing quite a few. Misdirecting any one of these can lead to a blowout.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Stating the obvious: where are the 4 Cavern of Souls'?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

I played this at my local GPT going 3-1 only losing to UR Delver in a close game 3. I ended up replacing 4 Delver with +1 Ninja and 3 Sage of Epityr. The deck felt amazing but at the same time very underpowered but I guess that is to be expected. I chose not to play AEther Vial due to the wide range of mana costs. I rarely had a Standstill in play and wanted to cast more creatures. Cavern of Souls was excluded to provide more basics. I didn't want to have hands with Mutavaults and Caverns and no way to cast Snap or Standstill. Misdirection was pretty sweet as well, I got to hit a Hymn and some burn at key times.

What I don't understand is why misdirection is better here than in other legacy decks. Do you think it should be played in other decks?

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by pfiremc13 View Post
    What I don't understand is why misdirection is better here than in other legacy decks. Do you think it should be played in other decks?

In some decks it can serve as fows 5-8. I played it in hypergenesis to great success, and cannot see why it isn't played more often. Although, I don't see it for a fair deck like this; it needs to be paired with something with a much higher tempo where the free manacost is immediately useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Fishy View Post
    I chose not to play AEther Vial due to the wide range of mana costs.
    1-3 is a wide range? Isn't that the same as all the other vial decks?

Standstill doesn't need to be out for vial to be good.

It is true, however, that this deck doesn't play as many creatures as other vial decks and vial may therefore not be a good choice.

Aug 2012
    Hamburg

I like the deck!

Maybe there's a place for Invisible Stalker in an equipment heavier built? And maybe Sylvan Safekeeper, at least for the sideboard.

1-3 is a wide range? Isn't that the same as all the other vial decks?
    The range is actually 1-4. Also, you don't want to be putting Shardless Agent into play with Vial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Fishy View Post
    The range is actually 1-4. Also, you don't want to be putting Shardless Agent into play with Vial.
    That's fair.

Thread Information