Page 61 of 166 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Make no mistake - I still won $250 in 36th place. People with my same record got top 16.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sts-2017-01-08

#32, don't think this is you DNSolver, just looking at the list. I guess that means 2 in the top 36 though.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sts-2017-01-08

#32, don't think this is you DNSolver, just looking at the list. I guess that means 2 in the top 36 though.
    I placed 32nd at GP Louisville. A friend (Okapikid) and I worked on the list starting about a week prior to the tournament. DNSolver and I actually were seated next to each other in the last round and got to talk about the deck for a bit after I finished my match.

This is the #32 list, pretty interesting. No fetches at all.

Creature (8)
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    Sorcery (14)
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Duress
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Into the North
    3 Sylvan Scrying
    Instant (4)
    4 Crop Rotation
    Artifact (7)
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Pithing Needle
    Enchantment (1)
    1 Sylvan Library
    Land (22)
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Blooming Marsh
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bayou
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    Tribal instant (4)
    4 Not of This World
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Karakas
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Natural State
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Steely Resolve
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jun 2008
    My store: http://tinyurl.com/6p9n2vw

Grats to everyone that did well at louisville! Dnsolver was that you I watched mull to 3 vs br reanimator then crop rotation his yard then runner the combo on him?
    Check out my alters or contact me for commissions at either
    My Facebook Page
    or
    My Photobucket Page

Now that I'm home, I am going to post some more tournament report information. This won't be a round-by-round because most of the rounds were uninteresting and I won strictly by deck selection and not punting. Below are a few of the highlights:

In Round 8 against BR Reanimator I mulligan'd in G3 looking for a good hand on the draw. None of my hands were doing it. On 3 cards I found Petal, Crop Rotation, Surgical, and kept, scrying Blooming Marsh to the top. My opponent's Thoughtseize took my Surgical, then he combo'd into my Crop Rotation to force me to get rid of my Blooming Marsh to Bog him. I promptly drew Petal -> Stage -> Depths and won before he could combo again.

In Round 7 my Miracles opponent was 5-1 and had never played Legacy before, let alone Miracles.

Several opponents put Engineered Explosives on zero and made a confident face for a few turns.

In several of my post-board games against Miracles I came close to casting Emrakul, but I didn't end up casting it all weekend.

Against 4-color Delver in Round 11, I won by playing all 4 Vampire Hexmages in the first 5-6 turns, and attacking my opponent to death by Decay'ing his Tarmogoyf.

I was recognized by my voice at the player meeting, by the player sitting next to me, also on Turbo Depths.

Also, I guess Wizards is unwilling to post top 64 decklists. Here's my sideboard:

3 Surgical
    3 Chalice
    1 Needle
    1 Karakas
    4 Decay
    1 Cabal Coffers
    1 Eye of Ugin
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    In several of my post-board games against Miracles I came close to casting Emrakul, but I didn't end up casting it all weekend.
    was this because you died before casting it or won by other means?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I ran into the same situation, hence why I settled on Emrakul 2.0

Oct 2015
    Virginia

What is the difference between 'dark depths' and 'turbo dark depths'?
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Nothing. BG Dark Depths is typically called Turbo Depths vs say RG Combo Lands which is less all in on the combo

steely resolve is interesting. i am currently running zero fetches and the deck is running fine.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Played one side event and went 3-1, lost to SnT for my win and in for battle for bye. Beat Aggro Loam, Deathblade and Miracles.

Was 5-1 (no byes) in main event then scrubbed out. Show and tell top decked BloodMoon in game 3 after I had got rid of his threats and never saw removal for moon all game. Eldrazi got me in game 3 with a perfectly timed endbringer (prob should add to section of 'issues deck faces'), and TES just killed me in 2; turn 1 tendrils and then turn 2 tendrils- with a leyline out.

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Dark Confidant

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Duress
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    3 Abrupt Decay

3 Lotus Petal
    4 Pithing Needle

4 Dark Depths
    3 Thespian Stage
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp

2 Krosan Grip
    2 Not of this World
    1 Steely Resolve
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Karakas
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Massacre
    Tusk Up

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    I placed 32nd at GP Louisville. A friend (Okapikid) and I worked on the list starting about a week prior to the tournament.
    How did you like the manabase? Seems like a good addition in the sense of getting around submerge and Seems like you lose shuffle synergy with library and grabbing a basic on turn which I find relevant. I am assuming thats why the into the north number is upped, and spirit guide being the mana assist to cast in binds. Sideboard looks great, solid list. What do you think of 3 bob's (-1) and 2 natural states(+1)? Anything underperform or anything perform better than anticipated?
    Tusk Up

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by hymnyou View Post
    How did you like the manabase? Seems like a good addition in the sense of getting around submerge and Seems like you lose shuffle synergy with library and grabbing a basic on turn which I find relevant. I am assuming thats why the into the north number is upped, and spirit guide being the mana assist to cast in binds. Sideboard looks great, solid list. What do you think of 3 bob's (-1) and 2 natural states(+1)? Anything underperform or anything perform better than anticipated?
    The manabase was great for me all weekend. Realistically, the deck makes a 20/20 on turn 2-3 most games, so the fastland disadvantage never really comes up. Even if they have the answer to the 20/20 you've gone down 1-2 lands and any Blooming Marshes you have left will likely be untapped. The biggest gain is obviously the land not being a forest for submerge. As for the shuffling effect, there are other ways to shuffle with the land tutors if you find your Sylvan Library isn't finding what you need. I'd rather not open the deck up to Stifle on fetchlands when it's not necessary. As for prioritizing basics, ideally you want to Pithing Needle Wasteland as soon as possible and at that point getting basics isn't as crucial. You also want to keep the basics in the deck for Into the North if you already have a Dark Depths out.

I normally play the deck with 23 lands but have noticed some builds that play 21 lands when the deck first came out. I felt like I could comfortably play 22 lands without much of a problem. The last land added to the deck was the Bayou and I considered playing a Llanowar Wastes instead to further protect myself from Submerge. In the end, the Bayou was only the second forest in the deck and I felt like the painland would be worse. Crop Rotation targeting your forests was a major factor in this decision as well. If you wanted to play 21 lands then the card that should played instead of the Bayou is the 4th Sylvan Scrying.

I can see cutting a bob from the sb for another disenchant effect whether it's the 4th Abrupt Decay or the 2nd Natural State I am not to sure on. I think I would lean towards Abrupt Decay. However, I do not recommend playing less Bobs. They come in against every deck where NOTW is taken out and catches a lot of players off guard. He also helps dig for your combo or discard to stay alive against other combo decks.

Do you board Dark Confidants in versus Miracles? I can see Bob being great card advantage or a removal-bait. If they Terminus/Stp Bob, you can Surgical their removal away. Only downside is flipping NotW off of Dark Confidant.
    In what matchup is Natural State good? Blood Moon and Vial decks?

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Lio View Post
    Do you board Dark Confidants in versus Miracles? I can see Bob being great card advantage or a removal-bait. If they Terminus/Stp Bob, you can Surgical their removal away. Only downside is flipping NotW off of Dark Confidant.
    I do. Dark Confidant is inherently difficult for them to beat. I also leave in NOTW in that matchup so sometimes you take large chunks off of Dark Confidant but Miracles has next to no clock so you shouldn't worry too much about Bob killing you. Steely Resolve also helps in the matchup and naming Human for Bob creates a threat they have to terminus away or accept that they will be out-carded.

I don't normally board in Surgicals as my board plan already involves around ~10 cards for the matchup but it is a possibility. I just feel between Steely Resolve, NOTW and Crop Rotation for Steppe, Surgicals are not needed for Plows. It's also awkward when Miracles boards in a Rest In Peace thinking that you play Life from the Loam.

Natural State is better against Blood Moon and Non-Chalice cards than Abrupt Decay. It allows you to only need 1 fast mana to get rid of a Blood Moon instead of two. It's a small hedge but I think it's worth it.

Thanks for clarification. I will try singleton Bob and 3 Tireless Trackers as I do not own playset of Confidants anymore.

I play at LGS regularly with competent players and when I was on coffers+eye+emrakul plan (which worked), they learned to try to kill me as soon as possible and sometimes Emrakul 1.0 on T7 was not enough (when going full Emrakul plan, I hesitate to sac two lands into 20/20 and usually just threaten the combo).

Reasoning behind Surgical Extraction is mostly to mess up with Terminus set up - if they don't have Counterbalance+Top out (which is very difficult to beat without AD), Surgical acts as a counter against miracle cards (and protection against opposing Surgicals). It works sometimes. But I do not play Steely Resolve (actually I am not huge fan of enchantments against Miracles as they board in Wear/Tear to get rid of Pithing Needles).

My losses were the likes of:

RUG Delver: Quick kill game 1, then mull into hands of disruption plus one combo piece. Draw no combo pieces or search rest of the game.
    DnT: Have NotW to protect against Lage game 2. Otherwise, see above.
    Eldrazi: Have Ghost Quarter to kill his Karakas game 1, then lose to double Chalice (1 and 2), and then lose to his top decked one-of Karakas game 3.
    Legends Miracles: Opponent has never played Miracles before, but has all the Swords, Snapcasters, Vensers, and Karakas to deal with me. Game 2 he mulls to Land, Land, Entreat, Entreat, Brainstorm or similar. I strip his Swords with Lost Legacy, see no answers in hand, make Lage following turn, but he plays a Venser and wins from there with Karakas or Terminus backup. Might have waited an unecessary turn by playing Lost Legacy instead of making Lage, but I had no disruption other than a turn 1 Needle.

I typically was siding out my Into the North (avoid pushing out an unprotected Depths into a Wasteland) and Expedition Maps, along with some discard or fast mana depending on the match. I generally kept in Sylvan Scrying.

Most of my wins were turn 1 Urborg + discard, turn 2 Depths + Hexmage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Looks like 5-6 of us played GP Louisville/GP Chiba to strong >70% MW results - perhaps its time we redo the primer with our various lists?

2 12-3s
    1 11-4

Who else?

I was also at GP Louisville, my first GP! 6-3 day 1 and 0-3 day 2 for a drop. All of my losses on day 2 were play mistakes I made where because I didn't know the matchup or I tried to go off too soon. Here is the list I ran:

4x Dark Depths
    4x Thespian's Stage
    4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Bayou
    1x Snow-Covered Forest
    1x Snow-Covered Swamp
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Bojuka Bog

4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Sylvan Scrying
    3x Into the North
    1x Sylvan Library

3x Pithing Needle
    4x Thoughtsieze
    3x Duress
    2x NOTW

4x Lotus Petal
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide

Side:
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Abrupt Decay
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x NOTW
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Karakas

I like the main how it is. Maze of Ith I feel was a poor choice. I'm considering taking our the 4 chalice for 4 Bobs. Chalice was great against storm and omnitell but Miracles is a harder matchup and they can often play around the chalice. Also considering the Blooming Marsh route, not having to play around submerge would be nice although I didn't see that card once. Shardless and other Lili Hymn decks can be an issue. I've been considering Khalani Garden as a 1 of for those matchups or even for annihilator trigger vs emmy.

A fun play a D&T pilot did to me was Sanctum Prelate on 7.

Thread Information