Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dragonstorm

Re: The Dragonstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Obould View Post
    Yeah I know, but with tooth and nail you can also win a game right away with 9 mana: search your deck for karrthus and atarka and put them into play. Then two haste double strikers for the win if they don't have flying blockers or removal. So it can replace tutors somehow but I think tutor is better for finding answers as well? But usually you have to use a tutor a turn before going off because our winning spells cost so much mana.
    Not going to work.. ?

Would just be a total waste of resources and storm to just randomly lose to: Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Diabolic Edict, Murderous Cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

I have been toying with the idea as well lately (Just love the idea of putting dragons down FTW in legacy), and my brew is as follows:

4 Bogardan Hellkite
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    3 Dragonstorm
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Dark Petition
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Duress
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Polluted Delta
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Ignite Memories
    SB: 1 Dragonstorm
    SB: 1 Dark Petition
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 4 Dragonlord Silumgar
    SB: 4 Slaughter Games

I know the sideboard isn't very tuned, but I just put it together to have a chance at beating a friends Show and Show Tell/Sneak Attack deck (Hence the Silumgar's & Slaughter Games)
    Thinking there should be space somewhere for Past in Flames
    And I don't think Bogardan Hellkite's are needed as a 4 off (However much fun it seems)

Just wanted to share my build with the Dark Petitions and Dragonlord Kolaghan's (thinking those are excellent new additions to this deck)

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmagic View Post
    I have been toying with the idea as well lately (Just love the idea of putting dragons down FTW in legacy), and my brew is as follows:

4 Bogardan Hellkite
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    3 Dragonstorm
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Dark Petition
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Duress
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Polluted Delta
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Ignite Memories
    SB: 1 Dragonstorm
    SB: 1 Dark Petition
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 4 Dragonlord Silumgar
    SB: 4 Slaughter Games

I know the sideboard isn't very tuned, but I just put it together to have a chance at beating a friends Show and Show Tell/Sneak Attack deck (Hence the Silumgar's & Slaughter Games)
    Thinking there should be space somewhere for Past in Flames
    And I don't think Bogardan Hellkite's are needed as a 4 off (However much fun it seems)

Just wanted to share my build with the Dark Petitions and Dragonlord Kolaghan's (thinking those are excellent new additions to this deck)
    Dragons are cool stuff.
    Although your list looks very different, I would like to know your results if you have any.
    Maybe I can find some time to brew again and play it in one of my locals.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

I haven't tested this deck but since dragons are cool n stuff I did a little search for dragons :)
    This is very much a brainstorm post, I hope it is not completely off topic.

Dragonlord Kolaghan or Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and Dragon Tyrant could potentially win the game with just two dragons. Requires one extra mana to pump the Tyrant though (if your opponent didn't fetch twice) and doesn't count blockers.

Dragonlord Atarka seems better then Bogardan Hellkite but probably doesn't really matter.

Some more thoughts:

The main advantage you have with Dragonstorm is, that you do not need a high storm count to win. I'd try to exploit that as much as possible. Approaches with lower storm count then 4 are more vulnerable to disruption though, specifically creature removal.

Ramp lands could potentially accelerate wishes. Burning wish seems like a good choice to play extra Dragon Storms and potentially other protection/combo pieces. Cunning wish allows you to search for cabal ritual which allows you to play Dragon Storm with 4 lands if 2 of those are ramp lands.

If you go heavy on the ramp lands (what I would definitely try to play to your strengths), you could even try to play Chalice/Trinisphere maindeck. You'd have to adjust your cantrips though and probably have to resort to inferior options like Impulse. But again, I think wishes could do wonders for you.

Hope that helps!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
    I haven't tested this deck but since dragons are cool n stuff I did a little search for dragons :)
    This is very much a brainstorm post, I hope it is not completely off topic.

Dragonlord Kolaghan or Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and Dragon Tyrant could potentially win the game with just two dragons. Requires one extra mana to pump the Tyrant though (if your opponent didn't fetch twice) and doesn't count blockers.

Dragonlord Atarka seems better then Bogardan Hellkite but probably doesn't really matter.
    The problem with trying to attack with just two dragons is cards like Swords to Plowshares, or any removal spell will basically make the game unwinable.

Also, Dragonlord is also much worse than Hellkite, because it cannot hit players.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Oh, dang! I did read 'planeswalkers' as players when quickly going over the cards.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
    Oh, dang! I did read 'planeswalkers' as players when quickly going over the cards.
    Well, in the world of Wizards, players are supposed to be planeswalkers but luckily not on paper. I am sure that 4 Bogardan Hellkite is the best line-up for this deck.
    Also, I am a big fan of See Beyond!
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

Anyone been able to try out my list?

I'll admit to the following changes to the SB:
    -1 Dragonlord Silumgar
    -1 Slaughter Games
    -1 Ignite Memories (can be another slaughter games)
    I had these in the board for situations where tendrils wouldn't be lethal and u have to go for the win as you're being rundown (u might have enough info to know the cards in your opponents hand are 5cc etc)

+1 Duress
    +2 Past in Flames

Oh and unfortunately I don't have much results to share, just been brewing and testing.
    I have to finish off the actual deck (got everything I still need lined up with trades next time at the local shop) and hopefully try it out then as well
    For all your magic singles and just an all round cool magic site click on this link

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

I'd love to hear how this is playing out. I just found the thread. I'm pretty new to Storm but it doesn't have any protection outside of [Duress] and [Cabal Therapy] and it seems to be doing ok although I do realize that [Dragonstorm] takes a little more to cast.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by wsurugby10 View Post
    I'd love to hear how this is playing out. I just found the thread. I'm pretty new to Storm but it doesn't have any protection outside of [Duress] and [Cabal Therapy] and it seems to be doing ok although I do realize that [Dragonstorm] takes a little more to cast.
    I plan on running The Dragonstorm again in some locals. Currently brewing on a newer list. Let's see if it goldfishes well.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

I saw someone in Twitch streaming it the other day. I think it was CalebD. He had LEDs and some wish package, but it looked good. He surprised the pants off of his opponent.

Has anyone tried Mizzix's Mastery with Dragonstorm yet?

Mizzix into Dragonstorm is already tutor for 2 dragons. Ramp -> Duress yourself (pitching Dragonstorm) -> Mizzix -> Dragonstorm gets you 4 dragons.

Potentially faster since you don't have to ramp to 9 mana, only 4. Added complexity of having Dragonstorm in your graveyard though, as well as associated vulnerability to hate for that.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Has anyone tried Mizzix's Mastery with Dragonstorm yet?

Mizzix into Dragonstorm is already tutor for 2 dragons. Ramp -> Duress yourself (pitching Dragonstorm) -> Mizzix -> Dragonstorm gets you 4 dragons.

Potentially faster since you don't have to ramp to 9 mana, only 4. Added complexity of having Dragonstorm in your graveyard though, as well as associated vulnerability to hate for that.
    Haven't thought about this card yet. Duress, however, only targets opponents. One would have to run CT and Throughtseize for that purpose.

Regarding LEDs and Wishes: 4 Led, 4 Wish, 4 Dragons, 3 Dragonstorm (I suppose) are too much cards for the combo I guess. Unlike Ant's business spells, multiple Dragonstorms/Dragons are very bad.

2 lands, 3 LEDs, and BW are a turn 2 kill but having Dragons in hand is a pain in the ass.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Haven't thought about this card yet. Duress, however, only targets opponents. One would have to run CT and Throughtseize for that purpose.

Regarding LEDs and Wishes: 4 Led, 4 Wish, 4 Dragons, 3 Dragonstorm (I suppose) are too much cards for the combo I guess. Unlike Ant's business spells, multiple Dragonstorms/Dragons are very bad.

2 lands, 3 LEDs, and BW are a turn 2 kill but having Dragons in hand is a pain in the ass.
    that's what brainstorm is for. With jtms in the side for grindy matchups.
    MTGO: Ricardio

Nic Fit: legacy's magical EDH deck

I came here to party and resolve prime time triggers.

"Well, I ain't calling you a truther." -Josh

IMGUR:http://ricardio69.imgur.com/all/

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardio View Post
    that's what brainstorm is for. With jtms in the side for grindy matchups.
    You lower its impact/value when you are dependent on its "put on top" effect. That's why I still like See Beyond.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Sep 2011

ThrabenU has reincarnated this deck:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRmCIHDMPdM&t=1261s

I tweaked his build a bit:

//Combo: 4
    3 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Dragonstorm

//Dragons: 3
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    1 Atarka, World Render
    1 Bladewing the Risen

//Selection: 17
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Entomb
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Echo of Eons

//Protection: 6
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Defense Grid

//Mana: 16
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame

//Lands: 14
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Island

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Peer Into the Abyss
    1 Reanimate
    1 Meltdown
    1 Massacre
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Galvanic Relay
    2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Abrade
    1 Dragonlord Dromoka

Mizzix's Mastery can cast Dragonstorm from the graveyard (2+ copies) for just 3R. 2 copies is enough for Atarka+Kolaghan for 24 haste damage, while Bladewing can save one from the graveyard. Dragonlord Dromoka could be added to protect the kill from opponent's intervention.

The advantage of this engine is that 3R is a much easier mana cost to ramp into, especially with fast mana or Wish+LED. Entomb or LED can put Dragonstorm into the GY.

The engine and wincon are obviously much less compact than TES, ANT or PITA. Still, the deck should be able to storm at some reasonable consistency. It also has back-up plans of Empty, Peer -> Tendrils, Reanimating a single dragon, and even hardcasting one.

Edit: Easy change
    -1 Infernal Tutor
    +1 Echo of Eons

Echo does so much. It gives more value to Entomb & LED outside the main combo, it reshuffles dragons into the library, and it enables more alternate storm kills (Empty/Tendrils).
    Last edited by FTW; 10-21-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Looks very cool.
    I was thinking that Dragonstorm deserves another chance.

Some thoughts:

I would probably like at least 1 more Dragonstorm in the main or SB.
    Whats the advantage of Bladewing main over Dromoka which is basically instant win if you can storm it in and have 1 more on the stack?
    Terror of the Peaks might also be worth it as it's easier to cast, more resistant vs removal, can be removal itself and allows wins without attacking.

Sep 2011

Thanks for the comments!

Overall I'm trying to make the wincon compact. That leaves more room for protection slots and enablers to pivot into alternate lines (Reanimate, Empty, Echo/PITA -> Tendrils, hardcast dragons). Having easier protection and plan Bs should make the deck more resilient to disruption.

In Phil's list the combo takes up more space. But then there's no maindeck protection and fewer viable plan Bs (mainly DRC beatdown). He also had to mulligan a lot, had awkward topdecks and cantrips, was easily disrupted, and was never in a position to make a good Empty or Tendrils. I think we can improve on that by making the "bad draws" as compact as possible. Those bad draws are Dragonstorm and the Dragons (and to a lesser extent the tier 2 cantrips), the cards we want to see in hand the least often. Instead of 4 Dragonstorm + 3-4 Dragons + 7 badtrips I'm down to 1 Dragonstorm + 3 Dragons + 0 badtrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Whats the advantage of Bladewing main over Dromoka which is basically instant win if you can storm it in and have 1 more on the stack?
    Good question.

First, Atarka + Kolaghan is already lethal (6+6 haste flying double strike = 24 damage).

With Bladewing as the 3rd, it's lethal through 1 flying blocker (10 double strike = 20) or lifegain (16 double strike = 32). The difference between 5/7 Dromoka and 4/4 Bladewing is rarely relevant for that math, and Bladewing can sometimes pump the team for even more damage.

What does Bladewing add?
    Dragonstorm needs the dragons in the library. As you can see in ThrabenU's vid, if either Atarka or Kolaghan are in graveyard or hand, Dragonstorm gets awkward. You can still make 1-2 fatties but can't win this turn (losing haste or double strike), opening you up to the opponent killing your threats or racing you.

Bladewing fixes that problem. If Atarka is in graveyard, you can Dragonstorm for Kolaghan + Bladewing (returning Atarka) and have lethal. If Kolaghan is in graveyard, you can Dragonstorm for Atarka + Bladewing (returning Kolaghan) and have lethal. With Dromoka instead of Bladewing, you don't have lethal in those scenarios.

Bladewing's also good for the plan B. Against Storm hate my list has the option to Burning Wish for Reanimate and make a dragon that way. Bladewing boosts that plan by making 2 dragons (e.g. Reanimate Bladewing + Atarka for 10 flying haste). Phil had to scoop to game 1 Archon of Emeria because his deck had no way to win through storm hate. Reanimate plan B seems good. Bladewing's also castable with rituals, while Dromoka is off color.

Basically Bladewing enables lethal in more scenarios.

Phil has Dromoka for the "can't play spells on your turn" to protect against StP interrupting the attack. That is very useful. Otherwise removal can interrupt the instant win. But that list also had 0 maindeck protection so opponent has ALL disruption available. My build has Grids and Thoughtseize. If that isn't enough, I put Dromoka in the board as a 4th dragon. With Grid in play though, I think Bladewing is useful more often than Dromoka.

I would probably like at least 1 more Dragonstorm in the main or SB.
    What would the 2nd Dragonstorm add?

Phil's list had 3 Dragonstorm main and 1 SB. But that seemed suboptimal. Drawing 2x Dragonstorm was just dead. You don't want Dragonstorm in hand anyway. You just need 1 in GY. So I max out on Entomb instead. Phil's deck used Faithless Looting and Consider to get those other copies of Dragonstorm into the graveyard. But then you have to run bad cantrips like Looting and Consider as enablers. Those cards take up more deck space and make the natural storm lines a bit worse.

Extra Mizzix's Mastery are good because they may be countered or discarded. But you only need 1 Dragonstorm in GY. If opponent uses Surgical or Endurance on Dragonstorm, extra copies of Dragonstorm don't help.

If the 1 Dragonstorm is stranded in hand, it can go to the GY via LED or Thoughtseize. Or you can use an Entomb -> Echo line. Maybe there needs to be 1-of Faithless Looting to allow Entomb -> Looting to discard Dragonstorm.

I thought about putting Dragonstorm in the Wishboard. But what does it do? My main discard outlet is LED. If I Wish -> Dragonstorm and then discard with LED, I can't have Mizzix's Mastery in hand to cast so I can't go off. Even in Phil's list with Faithless Lootings, he was never in a position where it made sense to wish for Dragonstorm. Instead of Wishing for Dragonstorm, it's probably better to Wish for an alternate storm line (Empty or PITA) or Infernal Tutor.

Terror of the Peaks might also be worth it as it's easier to cast, more resistant vs removal, can be removal itself and allows wins without attacking.
    Yeah, that one has merits too. But is it better in more scenarios than Bladewing or Dromoka? Need to think about that.

Terror does deal damage through Ensnaring Bridge, but not enough for lethal, so you rely on opponent damaging themselves with Ancient Tomb. Or we can just beat Bridge with a Tendrils line...

Thanks for the explanations.

Wasn't thinking about the scenario where you have to discard one of your dragons.
    Bladewing makes total sense considering that.

I'm also unsure about more Dragonstorms.
    2 would increase the chance to have one to discard without Entomb but I'm not sure how relevant that is.
    I agree that one in the SB makes little sense.
    Wish for Warrens seems the most likely route in case you can't make lethal Tendrils.

Terror is clearly worse than the other options.
    You also want at least 2+ which are still only 17 damage.
    With storm count 4 you could just Bogardan Hellkite like in the good old days.
    It's use cases compared to the rest are so fringe it probably doesn't matter.

Another thought:
    The deck seems really weak to GY removal.
    Versus Surgical there seems little you can do TBH.
    I would probably include 1-2 Void Snare in the SB so you can wish for something to bounce Leyline/RiP/whatever is an issue.

BTW, what is the point of Peer Into the Abyss?

Sep 2011

Another thought:
    The deck seems really weak to GY removal.
    Versus Surgical there seems little you can do TBH.
    I would probably include 1-2 Void Snare in the SB so you can wish for something to bounce Leyline/RiP/whatever is an issue.
    Yeah, I don't see a good plan to beat all GY hate. Instead my plan was to pivot win conditions with Empty or Tendrils.

Instead of Void Snare, Consign // Oblivion (replacing 1 Brazen Borrower)? It's Wishable ("sorcery") but can still be boarded in as a 2 cmc instant for EOT bounce on hatebears/Chalice/3sphere. Instant bounce is more useful in most cases.

BTW, what is the point of Peer Into the Abyss?
    Burning Wish + 7 mana -> Peer -> Draw 20-25 cards -> Lotus Petals -> other fast mana -> Wish -> Tendrils
    Alternate win con if they Surgical Dragonstorm, have Ensnaring Bridge, Containment Priest your dragons, etc.

There's also
    Burning Wish + 8 mana -> Overloaded Mizzix's Mastery -> cast your GY for free -> try to find another Wish -> Tendrils

You can also Tendrils off a lucky Echo of Eons or Galvanic Relay. It might be correct to shave 1 land + 1 other card for 2 Chrome Mox to have more 0s to support these lines without hurting the Dragonstorm plan much.

I prefer backup wincons to trying to answer every possible type of hate. Dragonstorm is still the main line but this way the deck can pivot towards Empty/Tendrils or the other way towards Reanimate. It takes up so little space to have these options.

Thread Information